We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks for Newbies

Thanks
    Thanked 6,552 Times in 2,120 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1959 View Post
    Hey everyone. I was wondering if it's safe to click on a link in a HIT to go to a survey.
    Yes, I have yet to have a survey link be anything nefarious
    It's all good.

I usually do a quick Turkopticon search for the Requester on most high paying survey/study hits, even if I have already accepted it, because often times it will give me insight into the current hit- like if it says 20 minutes and it really takes 40, or if there is a weird screener, maybe the requester is rejecting now, the study is closed or the study is looping or sticks, etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rosewater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,163 Times in 1,340 Posts

Something I wish I understood when I was new - learn and understand what preview and accept (PandA) is, how to refresh links/tabs so you can catch HITs and compete. I know that turkmaster and hitscraper have really streamlined the process but I turk from a crap machine and sometimes I can't run a lot of programs at once so a PandA link and auto refresh are always valuable. As is this script - https://greasyfork.org/scripts/1599-...20HITs.user.js That script adds another link to the HIT page so you can accept the HIT right from there http://imgur.com/549AED8 So you see something good from a requester you like and know, just accept the HIT from there. Sometimes that one second makes the difference

Learn and understand the value of working from your queue and working in different tabs.

Do batch HITs - surveys are awesome, but try batch HITs too. Just make sure you know the requester is safe - check TO and ask us, we'll tell you.

Don't be too afraid of trying a new requester - if there's no TO just do a couple. Try new things. New requesters can sometimes lead to qualifications and access to future HITs and that means $. Be smart about it but try new HITs. Again, ask us - in chat or on the forum. We'll tell you if we're working on it too

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walkerz For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've spent some time tonight creating a list of scripts I think newbies can't work well without: http://indiaturkers.com/

That's just my opinion, though!
    It's all good.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

I hope this doesn't sound too silly. On the HITS where they want you to find someone's email or maybe find info on say, a professor, it makes me a little leary. It feels a little like stalking. Are these good HITS?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kiki1959 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kiki1959 View Post
    I hope this doesn't sound too silly. On the HITS where they want you to find someone's email or maybe find info on say, a professor, it makes me a little leary. It feels a little like stalking. Are these good HITS?
    It's not stalking, but you're probably building a mailing list. In the end, whether you do it or someone else does, it'll get done, and we don't know the motivation for building the mailing list - it might be positive. That said, these email harvesting HITs usually pay very little, so that could be the extra motivation you need not to do them and corrupt your good moral stature.
    It's all good.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks you so much.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBends For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the good information. i have been doing Mturk hits for probably 2 years now and I just started making this my main source of income. i have been laid off for about 8 months and i will not return to that job because the people moved to another building. I only get $372 in social security an early retirement payment. I signed up early because I knew the job I had for 13 years cleaning was going to be gone. So now I have to supplement my social security because i haven't found another job yet. i am trying to make this my permanent job now. I have made $339 in the last 45 days since I started this. Not bad for a start. I appreciate all these tips that I can get. I am glad I signed up for TurkerNation!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tuna63 For This Useful Post:

If you're running late on a HIT for whatever reason be sure to contact the requester before you're actually late. They appreciate timely communication as much as we do and if there's a real reason for the delay then they can work something out.

I had a transcription yesterday in which the audio download didn't work and the web based player was extremely buggy. I notified the requester of the problems while I still have half an hour before time expired and their support people sent the file to my drop box, then gave me the rest of the day to finish it.

Think of it this way: If the requesters had TO to track the reputation of turkers, how would you fare in each category?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SMS For This Useful Post:

Great stuff in here! Thanks to you guys to help the newbies!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to frisbee For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast