Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips and Tricks for Newbies

Thanks
    Thanked 6,855 Times in 2,213 Posts

Post Tips and Tricks for Newbies

The same questions get posted so often that I thought a thread with tips and tricks for newbies was long overdue. Please add your ideas to this thread so we can hand it to new users as an mTurk Primer. Here are my tips:

- Check the Daily HIT threads to find great HITs
    - Use Turkopticon every time you want to work for a new Requester
    - Learn which HITs can help you get the qualifications you need in The First 5,000 thread
    - Scripts, like Turk Master or HIT Scraper, really help in making Turking easier and more lucrative. Check out the directory of scripts available here: IndiaTurkers.com

Any other tips, y'all?
    It's all good.

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,438 Times in 1,017 Posts

Qualifications: There is no harm in requesting qualifications (expect that most will go unanswered).

HITs available to you: Don't stick to only "HITs for which you are qualified". If you browse through other HITs that you are not qualified for, you may pick up some new qualifications and open up more work for you.

Amazon Payments: Make sure you set up your Amazon Payments account right away - you don't want to spend hours working only to discover you can't get paid.

Work Queue: You can have up to 25 HITs accepted at any given time. You will find them in the "HITs Assigned To You" tab on your dashboard. Watch out for the timers though! The timer will start ticking as soon as you accept the HIT, so don't queue up so many that you don't have time to finish them.

Questions?: Ask in the forum, or in chat if you need the answer urgently. We are all willing to help!

Approval time: Requesters have up to 30 days to approve or reject your work. Most do not take that long. If it is not dealt with after 30 days, the HIT will automatically approve.
    Eschew obfuscation, espouse elucidation. Batch HITs for newbs. 1000 req'd. 5000 req'd.

4. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to RippedWarrior For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,654 Times in 1,323 Posts

Adding my 2c in here I gotta say one of the hardest things for me to deal with as a newbie was rejections. If you get a rejection and think it was unfair make sure to write to the requester and inquire as to what you did wrong, if you did make a mistake hopefully they will tell you what you did wrong and you can turn it into a learning experience, but many times it will get reversed because you did nothing wrong to begin with. Don't just accept that you were wrong and leave it, your reputation is key to getting better hits down the road. Keep it as clean as possible
    It's Hard Work Turking, so don't think I'm lurking, I'm just working!

6. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Robby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 513 Posts

Good point Robby. I would add, when contacting a requester, be polite. Even if you are thoroughly pissed and believe the requester is jerking you around, an angry email will do nothing to help the situation.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thegrinder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,910 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RippedWarrior View Post

Amazon Payments: Make sure you set up your Amazon Payments account right away - you don't want to spend hours working only to discover you can't get paid.

make sure you choose the "personal" account and double to check to make sure no one else in the house has a business account set up. (if you share your Amazon account)

my wife had a business account tied to my mine and it took a week to straighten it all out, which means i couldn't get my money.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redleg For This Useful Post:

Thanks for saying that about qualifications. I've requested some, and never heard anything back. And I wish I had seen this post about setting up Amazon Payments when I first started- I was so excited to meet my goal, then I realized I had to wait until I had that all set up. So thank you!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oscar1344 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Some really great info here. Thanks to all who took the time to post it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pandemonium For This Useful Post:

Thanks, I really appreciate all the good information in here! I'm hoping to avoid some of the more common newbie mistakes and I know I definitely will with the advice I'm seeing.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Schadenfreude For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for this information and who to not do work for,I know I will be looking at this information a lot for awhile till I learn everything

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pitbullmoma For This Useful Post:

Hey everyone. I was wondering if it's safe to click on a link in a HIT to go to a survey.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kiki1959 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast