We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First 5000 HITs

Post Your First 5000 HITs

When you start new on mturk, it is important to build your numbers up. You need numbers to build a cushion for possible rejections and ensure you maintain a decent approval rate and also to qualify for more HITs. Once you reach the milestone of 5000 approved HITs, you will start getting access to more and more HITs. Fortunately, there are a lot of penny HITs that can help you to get past that 5000 mark in no time.

To start with this, you need to understand a few terms and need a few tools, which are mentioned below:-

TurkOpticon:- An essential extension which shows reviews left for different requesters by workers. Can be downloaded from the main website.

Autoaccept Link/PandA(Previewandaccept):- Clicking on an autoaccept link will automatically accept the HIT for you. When you open a HIT, the URL bar usually shows:- https://www.mturk.com/mturk/preview?groupId=XYZABC123. You can convert the link to Autoaccept by simply adding "andaccept" after "preview" so it should look like https://www.mturk.com/mturk/previewa...upId=XYZABC123.

HITs Assigned To You:- Page that shows all the HITs that are assigned to you. You can access that page by clicking on the link at top of your mturk page or using this link.

Autorefresh:- You need an extension which allows you to autorefresh a page. You just need to keep the page open in a tab and it will refresh it for you. These are two popular extensions, for Chrome and Firefox.

Captcha Alert:- You are presented with a Captcha after 35 HITs. It can be difficult to keep a track of them sometimes so This Script will alert you everytime a captcha comes up.

Now that you are ready, you just need to run Autoaccept links of a few penny hits on autorefresh(10-15 seconds recommended). These HITs keep popping up through out the day and the autorefresh will catch those HITs for you. Open the "HITs Assigned To You" page and work on those HITs from your queue. When you get a captcha alert, tend to it and start the process again.

Here is a list of a few easy HITs that you can put on autorefresh.

Requester:- Venue Quality

PandA Links

Are These Locations The Same? (Requires taking a qualification test first)
    Does this Event contain mature adult-oriented content? (WARNING: may contain adult content)
    Is this Event family friendly?

Requester:- MyLikes

PandA Links

Identify Images with Mature Content (Short 90 seconds timer)
    Identify Videos with Mature Content

Requester:- Jon Brelig

PandA Links

Identify if two receipts are the same

Requester:- SkillPages

PandA Links

Moderate an advertisement for skilled workers. (Requires taking a qualification test first.)

Requester:- Rob Grady

PandA Links

Transcribe Waffle House Guest Check
    Last edited by manzician; 02-03-2015 at 05:11 PM.

2. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to manzician For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks for the great info. If I may ask, are you running AMT on just one tab or multiple tabs? Or, are you signed in through multiple browsers? It seems to me that you can easily work on multiple hits that way. However, I get conflicting reports on suspensions, bans and things like that if you use that method. I have one desktop PC and two monitors so I could work through multiple tabs or browsers, but I do not want to run the risk of compromising my account. Thanks again.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesdean21 For This Useful Post:

Years ago AMT had an automatically accept the next hit option built in to the hit. I am guessing that option has long since been removed? Thanks again.
    Last edited by manzician; 12-06-2014 at 05:12 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesdean21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdean21 View Post
    Years ago AMT had an automatically accept the next hit option built in to the hit. I am guessing that option has long since been removed? Thanks again.
    Thanks for the great info. If I may ask, are you running AMT on just one tab or multiple tabs? Or, are you signed in through multiple browsers? It seems to me that you can easily work on multiple hits that way. However, I get conflicting reports on suspensions, bans and things like that if you use that method. I have one desktop PC and two monitors so I could work through multiple tabs or browsers, but I do not want to run the risk of compromising my account. Thanks again.

It is absolutely alright to turk on multiple tabs/browsers. I have been turking for more than 4 years and have use multiple computers to turk on daily basis. Never had any issues.

Also, This Script will automatically put a check on the box allowing you to accept the next HIT.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to manzician For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Always looking out for others is a great quality to have manzi and you have NEVER fallen short there. Thanks for taking the time to help like this as you always do. See ya in chat.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to blmpclrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,339 Posts

this may be helpful to new turkers:

Turkopticon (TO) is a great tool to use to help you decide if a HIT or a batch is something you want to work on. It is where other turkers leave reviews about requesters. You can use TO by visiting the site directly and looking up the requester by name or ID http://turkopticon.ucsd.edu Or you can use a script on chrome through tampermonkey or on firefox through greasemonkey (download here https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1755-turkopticon)

If you use the script method your mturk pages will look something like this http://imgur.com/YUwsqyC if you click on the red you will see some ratings http://imgur.com/xRh8Ga0 if you want to read the reviews (which I recommend) then click on the number of reviews and the link will take you to the requesters listing on TO.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to walkerz For This Useful Post:

But really though, the worst part about getting to 5000 is how mind-numbingly boring most penny hits are.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fireblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,460 Times in 2,090 Posts

I'd like to second Manzician on saying multiple tabs, browsers and/or computers is fine. I run a refresher on my laptop and then do the HITs as they show up on my desktop. That way I can do other work at the same time without bogging down my machine. I also do HITs in Firefox and Chrome, depending on where they work best. Lastly, if I am doing a HIT which allows for multiple tabs, I use those tabs to death.

Quote Originally Posted by walkerz View Post
    this may be helpful to new turkers:

Turkopticon (TO) is a great tool to use to help you decide if a HIT or a batch is something you want to work on. It is where other turkers leave reviews about requesters. You can use TO by visiting the site directly and looking up the requester by name or ID http://turkopticon.ucsd.edu Or you can use a script on chrome through tampermonkey or on firefox through greasemonkey (download here https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/1755-turkopticon)

If you use the script method your mturk pages will look something like this http://imgur.com/YUwsqyC if you click on the red you will see some ratings http://imgur.com/xRh8Ga0 if you want to read the reviews (which I recommend) then click on the number of reviews and the link will take you to the requesters listing on TO.
    Just note that the TO script can cause some headaches (lagging browser, if it goes down it can cause issues, etc.) It's great for novices (as in those who will use this thread ), but leveraging chat for instant reviews is often just as helpful, OR only working on HITs others recommend.
    It's all good.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

even though I got my first 5000 a long time ago (with rohzit0d I believe, if anyone remembers those keyword tasks that made us all rich ) I'm still trying to refresh my memory on some of this stuff - when I read above about autorefreshing - am I understanding correctly that you would open a page that would list hits for, say, MyLikes - and even though it might say there are no HITs available you would have the page autorefresh and then have it auto accept the first one that comes up and you're off to the races? keeping an eye on the HITs assigned to you page so you don't miss something that is auto accepted?

I actually don't remember that technique - so maybe it's not my bad memory, it's just new in the past several years?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to thehoncho For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 47,871 Times in 19,299 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by thehoncho View Post
    even though I got my first 5000 a long time ago (with rohzit0d I believe, if anyone remembers those keyword tasks that made us all rich ) I'm still trying to refresh my memory on some of this stuff - when I read above about autorefreshing - am I understanding correctly that you would open a page that would list hits for, say, MyLikes - and even though it might say there are no HITs available you would have the page autorefresh and then have it auto accept the first one that comes up and you're off to the races? keeping an eye on the HITs assigned to you page so you don't miss something that is auto accepted?

I actually don't remember that technique - so maybe it's not my bad memory, it's just new in the past several years?
    That is one way to do it. There is a program called TurkMaster that does it more efficiently. Here is a thread link to where to get it and how to use it http://turkernation.com/showthread.p...H-INSTRUCTIONS!.

(just in case you don't have access to that yet, here is the direct link to turkmaster https://greasyfork.org/en/scripts/4771-turkmaster-mturk )
    Last edited by tscreener; 12-12-2014 at 09:01 PM.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tscreener For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast