Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Exercise ideas, tips and tricks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,847 Times in 2,211 Posts

Question Exercise ideas, tips and tricks

Hey all,

What sort of exercises keep you motivated? What's easy to do quickly between HITs? Do you have any tips or tricks to share? Please do!

My advice is on treadmills - if you plan to get one, don't cheap out. The cheap treadmills break quickly and don't tolerate running, so if you move up from walking to a faster pace, they won't keep up with you. Investing in an expensive but sturdy treadmill will actually save you money over the long run. Be sure to take care of it by following the maintenance instructions.
    It's all good.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Treadmills are great for cardio, but I don't use them anymore because of the amount of pressure it puts on joints. I keep a stationary bike in my home office where I have a good view of my monitors in case something important pops up while I am riding. I ride for 20 minute intervals 4x's a day during the course of my work day. Cardio is so important for those of us who are career office workers. Get the blood flowing whenever and how ever you can. A good cardio routine changes a persons metabolism which helps burn more fat and calories, even when the body is at rest.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jamesdean21 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

A big factor that keeps me motivated is routine. MTurk is not my day job. I work a 9-5M-F. M-T I go to the gym straight after work. (Well I try at least.) If I reschedule my gym time for later in the day I don't go.

I have eye strain in the past and know if you stare at a computer screen for extended periods of time, health experts suggested you take a ten minute break every hour during which you are to refrain from glancing at all electronic devices. If you take ten minutes every hour you can simply go for a walk. Most smartphones have a step counter you can download. Most apps let you set a daily step count goals. Step counting has motivated me to be more active in the past.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to KaAlSw For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I know that you should stand every half hour and stretch because sometimes lean, slouch or slump gradually without realizing it and can end up in unatural even crazy positions. If you make it a routine to get up and stretch every 25 or 30 minutes you wont be in a bad position long enough to do much damage. This next practice is not so much between turking it's more during but it might fit in this category. While not typing or using the mouse it's a good idea to turn your wrists to face up any time you pause even to think for a few seconds this will help prevent or ease wrist strain or carpal tunnel syndrome. Also wrists should never rest on anything they should float while typing ang the keyboard always should be below elbow level. Hope this pertains to this dicussion and I hope it helps.

Thanks

I've always liked (but not always followed) the idea of work 20 minutes, clean/get up for 10 minutes - for those of us who work at home. It's easy to zone in on work, so I forget to do this a lot. But it really does help prevent the dreaded "burnout" we experience sometimes! For those 10 minutes, I'll usually do something like unload the dishwasher, start some laundry, and so on. Stretches during that time helps a lot, too.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aebaum91 For This Useful Post:

My chiropractor's website has a video of stretches you can do every day. I use them when I wake up, once during the day a few days a week, and usually before bedtime. This has been a big help to me and my back and hips. I have mild arthritis and osteoarthritis in my neck, hips, and joints, so stretching really eases the pain and keeps me strong and limber. I also have a manual treadmill I use at least 3-4 days a week for 20-30 minutes per session. Oh, and I have a Gazelle elliptical I use a few times a week for 20 minutes. These things have really turned my life around. BTW - The stretches are not difficult to do, or I couldn't have done them in the beginning. I have advanced my stretches since, but five months ago...but I digress.

Thanks

I just got this Logitech tracball mouse the other day at Wal Mart for around 40 bucks and man it feels way better than any mouse I ve used . All you move is your thumbI got used to it fast. As far as eye strain there is a free software called flux that adjusts the lighting of your monitor to be easy on your eyes its a free download from flux.com