Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Amazon Mechanical Turk (mturk) workers are highly educated - sources

Thanks
    Thanked 6,848 Times in 2,212 Posts

Amazon Mechanical Turk (mturk) workers are highly educated - sources

"We also asked the Mechanical Turk workers to declare their educational level. In general, the (selfdeclared) educational level of the workers is higher than the general US and Indian population. There are two factors that may contribute to this. First, many of the workers are younger than the overall population and, ceteris paribus, this leads to higher educational level. Finally, while we may not necessarily discount the possibility of false disclosure, there are no incentives that would bias workers towards lying in this survey."
    US: ~80% Associates degree or higher
    India: ~64% Associates degree or higher
    Ipeirotis, P. (2010). Demographics of Mechanical Turk.

"Although the MTurk sample had a higher proportion of respondents with a graduate degree, it also had more with no college at all."
    ~36% college degree
    Simons, D., & Chabris, C. (2012). Common (mis) beliefs about memory: A replication and comparison of telephone and Mechanical Turk survey methods. Plos One, 7(12), 51876.

"Consistent with prior findings, our MT respondents were younger, more educated, and more likely to be female than their (Knowledge Networks) counterparts."
    47.1% college degree
    Weinberg, J., Freese, J., & McElhattan, D. (2014). Comparing Data Characteristics and Results of an Online Factorial Survey between a Population-Based and a Crowdsource-Recruited Sample. Sociological Science, 1, 292--310.

"The MTurk sample has a similar (high) education level as compared to the two samples by Berinsky and Kinder, whereas the adult sample reported by Kam et al. is much less educated (even compared to national probability samples; see Table 3)."
    14.9 years of education
    Berinsky, A., Huber, G., & Lenz, G. (2012). Evaluating online labor markets for experimental research: Amazon. com's Mechanical Turk. Political Analysis, 20(3), 351--368.

"Overall, our sample appears to closely resemble the population with a few expected deviations, especially age and education."
    50% college graduates
    Christensen, D., & Glick, D. (2013). Crowdsourcing panel studies and real-time experiments in MTurk. The Political Methodologist, 20(2).

"In general, the (selfreported) educational level of U.S. workers is higher than the general population. This is partially explained by the younger age of Mechanical Turk users but may also reflect higher education levels among early adopters of technology."
    Paolacci, G., Chandler, J., & Ipeirotis, P. (2010). Running experiments on amazon mechanical turk. Judgment And Decision Making, 5(5), 411--419.

"Education seems to be an orthogonal factor: in agreement with Ipeirotis’s findings, 60% of our respondents have finished college, and 91% have attended at least some college."
    60% college degree
    Marshall, C., & Shipman, F. (2013). Experiences surveying the crowd: Reflections on methods, participation, and reliability, 234-243.

"Consistent with previous studies [8,23], our MTurk samples are younger and the Indian sample is better educated than the U.S. public sample (81% have a college education or higher, compared with the U.S. MTurk sample, t [308] = 6.29, p < .01)."
    US: 43%
    India: 81%
    Kang, R., Brown, S., Dabbish, L., & Kiesler, S. (2014). Privacy Attitudes of Mechanical Turk Workers and the US Public. Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (SOUPS) 2014, July 9-11, 2014, Menlo Park, CA.

"The MTurk sample, however, is distinctly younger and better educated than YouGov and ANES and, notably, nearly 20% of the sample report that they are current undergraduate students – an important figure for scholars who opt to rely on MTurk as an adult sample."
    31.2% college degree
    Krupnikov, Y., & Levine, A. (2014). Cross-Sample Comparisons and External Validity. Journal Of Experimental Political Science, 1(01), 59--80.

"MTurk workers are younger and more educated than the general U.S. population"
    48.1 college degree
    Shapiro, D., Chandler, J., & Mueller, P. (2013). Using Mechanical Turk to study clinical populations. Clinical Psychological Science, 2167702612469015.

"Although younger on average, Indian workers report having higher levels of education. Indeed, the Turker population as a whole seems to be highly educated—in Nov. 2009, overall 41% of Turkers reported having Bachelor degrees, and 18% report having Graduate degrees."
    59% college degree
    Ross, J., Irani, L., Silberman, M., Zaldivar, A., & Tomlinson, B. (2010). Who are the crowdworkers?: shifting demographics in mechanical turk. In CHI 2010, April 10–15, 2010, Atlanta, Georgia, USA, 2863-2872.

"These demographics reveal a significantly international and highly educated population, though one with lower levels of employment and income."
    66% college degree
    Ross, J., Zaldivar, A., Irani, L., & Tomlinson, B. (2009). Who are the turkers? worker demographics in amazon mechanical turk. Department Of Informatics, University Of California, Irvine, USA, Tech. Rep.

https://public.tableausoftware.com/p...rkDemographics - see Education slide
    88% of workers polled have at least attended college, 58% have a degree.
    rrindurk. (2014) MTurk Demographics.

http://www.slideshare.net/MSRNEadmin...thecrowd-final - See India & US Crowd Demographics
    Almost all Indian Turkers polled had post-secondary education.
    Just less than half of all US Turkers polled had post-secondary education.

http://ac.els-cdn.com/S1355030615000...49857146f704a8
    "95.5% of the sample had started some college education."
    Martire, K.A, & Watkins, I. (2015). Perception problems of the verbal scale: A reanalysis and application of a membership function approach. Science & Justice. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.scijus.2015.01.002.

http://www.csdl.tamu.edu/~shipman/papers/cscw15.pdf
    "Consonant with prior surveys, ... the group is predominately college educated (only 8% hadn’t been to college)."
    Marshall, C.S, & Shipman, F.M. (2014). Who owns your social networks? In CSCW 2014, Feb. 15–19, 2014, Baltimore, Maryland, USA.

http://journal.sjdm.org/12/12810/jdm12810.html
    "Two hundred American adults (54% male, mean age 32 years) were recruited among users of the Mturk. ... Participants filled in an online questionnaire. It started with questions about their qualifications, including their postgraduate degree [either Master’s degree (88%) or PhD (12%)]; the area of their degree [either humanities or social science (42%), medicine (8%), mathematics, natural science or technology (34%), or other (e.g., education) (16%)]1; and their experience of reading research reports, such as journal articles, conference papers, anthology chapters or monographs [either Have read less than 10 different reports (12%), Have read between 10 and 100 different reports (54%), or Have read more than 100 different reports (34%)]."

http://www.rgordonr.com/posts/2015/0..._class_online/

NEW!
    https://zcrowd.com/education-high-skills-crowdsourcing/

Last edited by spamgirl; 11-23-2014 at 10:53 PM.
    It's all good.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks

I just wanted to post this in case anyone has use for the information...
    It's all good.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 38,975 Times in 10,967 Posts

Thanks Spamgirl but I ain't sure us dim bulbs can understand this "high falutin" stuff --it's even got sources--nobody uses sources lol

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to carolyn For This Useful Post:

Researcher
    Thanks

I certainly might have use for this in the future. And I'll cite this post if I use it! If I could leave two 'thanks', I would!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to six For This Useful Post:

I find turking fascinating, you have a mixture of talents that can be accessed. I have had HS and 2 yrs vocational training in electro-mechanical technology (of course this was 300 yrs ago lol), we have all been exposed to the school of hard knocks, so we all have something to contribute even though we have not had higher education ,I think people that turk do have a higher IQ (I could be prejudice) who else can think of 25 ways that a cup makes them, happy, sad, anxious, and nervous.

It is like dog grooming (yes I am a professional pet stylist) some folks think we do this job only because we are too stupid to find a REAL job, not true, I know groomers that are lawyers, doctors ect,,,,, So thanks for that post spamgirl, it gives us ammo to use against prejudice.

I also believe. as I become more proficient in one task, that I can easily move on to the next type of task, where else can a person do that? one minute I am taking a survey on economics next I am doing receipts, how many of us if we do not know a answer to something later on google it, to learn even more adding to or knowledge and IQ, (where was I going with this post lol)

Thanks spamgirl.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maladee For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up

Interesting...

Appears some found US Turkers more educated and some found Indian Turkers more educated.

IMO, although educated, success at Turking has more to do with self discipline and commitment than education. No one needs to be a scholar to enter receipts, perform transcription or most of the majority of the tasks available to the average Turker. However they would have to have the qualities needed to supervise themselves and stay productive and cost effective in an unsupervised and often distracting and chaotic environment.

It is probably likely that a more educated worker pool would also be a more disciplined pool simply because one generally has to be more disciplined to complete a reasonable college curriculum.

It's probably not news to most here that we as Turkers are generally a more intelligent and creative thinking breed.

I will definitely hang on to this information and share it with the associates of mine that seem to have a different view.
    Cheers,
    Babarous

"Running from an office job since 2012"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by six View Post
    I certainly might have use for this in the future. And I'll cite this post if I use it! If I could leave two 'thanks', I would!
    I'm trying to keep it updated as I find studies that cite educational background.
    It's all good.

Thanks

Now it makes sense....I get getting "das boot" on some surveys because I failed the "age" test. Younger workers *shakes fist bitterly* CURSES!!!