Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Blueberry Sour Cream Cake

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,664 Times in 2,301 Posts

Blueberry Sour Cream Cake

I mentioned this in chat and promised to post the recipe. It really is simple to make and tastes delish! The original title (from allrecipes.com) calls it a coffee cake, but I think it makes a really nice dessert cake as well.

BATTER:

1 c. butter - softened (NOT MELTED)
    2 c. white sugar
    2 eggs
    1 c. sour cream
    1 t. vanilla extract
    1 5/8 c. all-purpose flour
    1 t. baking powder (not soda)
    1/4 t. salt
    1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

Cream butter and white sugar together until fluffy (think yellow snow, that's the look you want)

Beat in eggs one at a time, then add sour cream and vanilla.

Next add in flour, baking powder and salt. Beat until well blended. (I use a hand mixer on low for all of the above steps). The batter will be on the thick side, similar to the consistency of CoolWhip.

Fold blueberries into batter. (I don't measure, I dump in a few large handfulls)

CINNAMON/BROWN SUGAR LAYER:

1/2 c. brown sugar
    1 t. ground cinnamon

(Original recipe says you can also add 1/2 c. chopped pecans to this layer if desired)

Grease and flour a 9 inch Bundt pan. (I cheat and use Pam spray with flour for baking)

Put half of the batter in pan, cover with a sprinkling of the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture, add remaining batter over that, finish off with another sprinkling of the cinnamon/brown sugar mixture.

Bake in 350 degree oven 55-60 minutes.

WARNING: DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE BAKED CAKE FROM PAN UNTIL COMPLETELY COOLED. If you rush to remove it, it may split into 2 parts with the bottom of the cake on your plate and the whole top stuck in the pan.

Original recipe also said you can dust it with confectioner's sugar, but I find it's sweet enough the way it is.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,340 Posts

Now I have to bake Thanks for the recipe and the tips.