We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Never had a little yappy dog before... your tips for training / living with the noise

Thanks

I guess you could think of a Thundershirt as providing a soothing hug that goes on and on... I haven't used it on him the last few days but i will again soon and will report back. It's calming. It works with separation anxiety, thunderstorms, overstimulation, etc.
    You have to have a sense of humor... otherwise, it isn't funny.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,515 Times in 655 Posts

I have three yappy terriers, and when one starts they all join in. I find that if I put my hand gently on each of their backs, while making a noise that sounds like "pssht" at the same time, it seems to calm them down. The "pssht" noise needs to be in a firm manner, while the hand needs to be gentle. I don't know why it works, but it does. Good luck! :-)

Thanks

Thanks, Katie! I will try that for sure. Luckily our other dog is a very gentle Rottweiler, but at times even she gets going, so I'll try it with both of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 981 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
    I guess you could think of a Thundershirt as providing a soothing hug that goes on and on... I haven't used it on him the last few days but i will again soon and will report back. It's calming. It works with separation anxiety, thunderstorms, overstimulation, etc.
    Oh, that is cool. It might be worth trying out for my dog since she is scared of storms. I have heard that you are not supposed to cuddle your dog when they are scared because they think it's a reward. But I would like to do something to make her feel better.

Thanks

Well... I think that avoiding reward idea is a mixed bag. Yep, it may have some truth to it but you can pick a moment to cuddle her or use the shirt when she seems even a tiny bit less scared. Just as my little yapper knows he has to shut up to the count of 10 or more before I will let him out into our fenced back yard, your dog can learn that it's when she at least appears calmer that you comfort her! Good luck, so many dogs do have this anxiety.

Also, once the shirt is on, it's said to chill them out and it stays on for a while.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,005 Times in 981 Posts

Well, I have yet to figure out the best option for dealing with storms and other loud noises. I tend to try and stay home, so that even if I don't interact with her, at least I am there. And I let her follow me around or hide in the bathroom if she wants to. I figure those are ways to comfort her without it seeming like a reward.

My husband, on the other hand, thinks it's funny that she acts so pitiful (and it kind of is), and he almost eggs her on. He talks baby talk to her and asks if the big bad storm is scary. The other day, he wrapped her up in a blanket and let her cuddle in between us, and she sure liked that! So I might have to get a Thundershirt. I wonder if there are some I can get on Amazon with my Turking money.

Of course, if *I* ever coddle the dog when she is scared or when the cat is mean to her, I get a lecture from DH about how I am "rewarding" her for being a "drama queen."

Thanks

I think it's really neat that your husband hit on the blanket idea. That might do the trick! And yes, Amazon carries the thundershirts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12