We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nothing will germinate

Thanks

Thanks for your advice, Kalorie. I just don't know what's going on, it's the same starter mix that I used for the last two years.

Maybe next year I'll use potting mix.

Oh well.

CF

Thanks

Never tried growing any "real" seeds from a packet but found some 20cents packets at Walmart so I might try it. I am having good luck with organic seed sprouts in a glass jar and am on my fourth batch. Mold is a big worry this time of year, indoors. Good luck with your seeds, everybody!

Thanks

I've never had luck starting seeds indoors, but I have some luck sowing them straight into the ground.
    Don't forget some seeds need special treatment before starting, like staying in the fridge for a week or being notched.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonny For This Useful Post:

The only time I have been able to get peppers to germinate is was after switching to soil/potting blocks. I found them to be easier to keep at a good moisture level - not dry, but not so wet that mold becomes a problem - and it seemed like the soil got warmer faster.
    It can be a little spendy to get started, but for me it was well worth it.

Thanks

A soil block maker thingy is on my wish list. Of course now seed starting is over for the year and I'll probably buy something else with my Turk earnings. I should buy a it but I know me...

What kind of a mix of soil do you use for your blocks?

CF

I've had good luck with the mix from the folks at pottingblocks.com. There's one for the itty bitty blocks, and one for the bigger blocks. You could probably use the itty bitty block mix in the bigger blocks, but not the other way around.
    One day I'd like to make my own mix, but for now, it's just easier to buy it pre-mixed.

And just to be a seed planting enabler, seed starting is not over yet for anything that needs a mid-late summer planting. So there's still plenty of time!

I am hoping to have brussel sprouts this year and need to devise a way to keep the deer from them. They don't bother with the garden all summer, but come late September they will hop right in and eat almost anything.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CWStars For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12