We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: What cool or useful utilities do you use?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 958 Posts

What cool or useful utilities do you use?

Okay, since I now have a decent computer, I've been discovering all kinds of cool utilities to bloat up my system. Here a few of them, but I was wondering what kind of cool or useful programs do you use?

f.lux - automatically dims my screen at night and helps take away the burning from my eyes

Rain Meter - cool skin for my desktop

Fences - creates boxes on my desktop to organize and hide desktop icons

Dexpot - virtual desktops! Turns my 3 monitors into 12! Lets me have different windows, icons, backgrounds, task bars on every monitor.

Thanks

f.lux is the only thing I use on my computer.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hidingmyidentity For This Useful Post:

I had never used dexpot, I'll have to check that out!

F.Lux is nice, but sometimes I find it's a little annoying, I tend to keep it off a lot.

I'd say antivirus is a good topic for here. I used to use AVG free, but then changed to Microsoft Security Essentials. However, I was infected not too long ago (dunno how, but it was pretty bad) so I'm debating on actually purchasing an antivirus. I've heard good things about kapersky, but never tried it. Any suggestions?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tjololo For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tjololo View Post
    I'd say antivirus is a good topic for here. I used to use AVG free, but then changed to Microsoft Security Essentials. However, I was infected not too long ago (dunno how, but it was pretty bad) so I'm debating on actually purchasing an antivirus. I've heard good things about kapersky, but never tried it. Any suggestions?
    I just didn't have anything to help Ripped with. I am just now learning to use Tampermonkey.

On the AV note, a geek site that I've been trying to learn from says that MSE is no longer all that highly rated anymore. I've gotten by the last several months using 30 trials from different companies. Vipre was good, as far as easy to use. The ratings change on them all every year and have mostly left me confused.

Back to RIPPED...................

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mandowhacker For This Useful Post:

My most useful program lately is XBMC. Really great open source media center software that I currently run on a Raspberry Pi. It has tons of addons available.

For antivirus, Avast has served me well over the years. My favorite feature is that it has a web shield and will scream at you BEFORE you download the file instead of complaining after it has been executed.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to inktaylor For This Useful Post:

personally i don't use an antivirus. I find that if you pay attention to what you're doing, there is almost no need for it. I have noticed that most AV programs just slow your computer down. I have malware bytes, but it never auto scans, and I only use it like every 2 or 3 months.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jboogie62 For This Useful Post:

I love f.lux, but sometimes I wonder if I wouldn't get more done on turk with the blue light keeping me up, lol. As far as anti-virus goes, I recently switched from Avast to AVG.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to willymammoth For This Useful Post: