We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Casserole Talk

Casserole Talk

Casseroles are great recipes that are cheap to make and easy to hide veggies in. I've got a few that I've tried, and I typically divide mine up into six servings. They also freeze pretty well, since mine come out in kind of block form instead of soupy form, so the extra servings are great heat and eat meals to keep in the freezer. I'm curious to see if any of you guys have some tasty casserole dishes to share? Here's the one I make most often, I love it to bits.

1 lb chorizo

1.5 cups cooked white rice

1.5 cups beans (I've used both black and red beans, though I think I prefer the red ones, they're not as strong. I also cook my own beans from dry bulk so there's no salt added)

Chopped veggies/fillers (An onion is a must, I've used both white and yellow, but there's not much difference between the two. I always add in a bell pepper and around 4 ounces of mushrooms. In the past I've added yellow squash and zucchini, too, to add some extra veggies. A tin of drained diced tomatoes also is a good addition. I'll usually add a few minced cloves of garlic, too, and though I can't really taste it it adds some of the health benefits of garlic.)

1 cup or so shredded cheese (I've tried both cheddar and Mexican blend, just make sure it's finely shredded)

1.Preheat the oven to about 350.
    2.While it's heating up, cook the chorizo in a large pot until it's about halfway done.
    3.Add in your veggies and cook until they're tender and the chorizo is done.
    4.Add in the rice and beans and mix well, pretty much just to get them heated through and combined with everything else.
    5.Spoon the mix into a casserole dish and try to even it out. I use a glass 9x13 inch or so one.
    6.Sprinkle the cheese on top.
    7.Cook for about 20-30 minutes until the cheese is nice and melty. Leave it in a little longer for a tougher, browner cheese crust. Alternatively, cook without the cheese for the first bit, then add the cheese in the last five minutes or so if you don't want it browned.

Chorizo tends to be a tad spicy, so I smooth some sour cream on top and mix it all up with a huge handful of shredded lettuce (more veggies, woo!). With the added light sour cream it comes to out to around 500 calories per serving, with six sizable servings per dish. I was just sitting here eating my second bowl of the day of my most recently cooked one and had to share the recipe with somebody, and if someone has an idea for another great casserole, then all the better.

Thanks

Linda Sue has a bunch of great low carb casserole recipes. Really helpful to have leftovers on hand.

My favorite is her tuna casserole III:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/tuna_casserole_3.html

Real comfort food.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pentimenti For This Useful Post:

Oh that looks good. Are there any good alternatives for the cauliflower and celery? I've tried hard to train myself to like them but it just doesn't work (I had slightly more success with carrots, though, and mushrooms are a definite success in the "Turtle needs to eat more foods" saga). Maybe rice for bulk and bell pepper?

Thanks

It's a low carb recipe meant to mimic the tuna rice casserole. I don't think I ever put celery in it, because SO hates celery more than other vegetables, and that's going some, so I rarely have it around. So I think rice would be fine.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pentimenti For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have come to love casseroles with a passion. Seriously, they are the best thing I have experienced since moving to the midwest.

2 cups Cooked Chicken
    3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
    2 cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
    2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    1/4 cup Finely Diced Green Pepper
    1/4 cup Finely Diced Onion
    1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
    2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot
    1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
    1/8 teaspoon (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
    Salt And Pepper, to taste
    1 cup Additional Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Instructions
    Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.
    Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).

Quote Originally Posted by pentimenti View Post
    Linda Sue has a bunch of great low carb casserole recipes. Really helpful to have leftovers on hand.

My favorite is her tuna casserole III:
    http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/tuna_casserole_3.html

Real comfort food.
    What a great low carb resource! I love casseroles, but couldn't figure out what to sub for the rice. Cauliflour makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie9100 View Post
    I have come to love casseroles with a passion. Seriously, they are the best thing I have experienced since moving to the midwest.

2 cups Cooked Chicken
    3 cups Dry Spaghetti, Broken Into Two Inch Pieces
    2 cans Cream Of Mushroom Soup
    2 cups Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
    1/4 cup Finely Diced Green Pepper
    1/4 cup Finely Diced Onion
    1 jar (4 Ounce) Diced Pimentos, Drained
    2 cups Reserved Chicken Broth From Pot
    1 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
    1/8 teaspoon (to 1/4 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
    Salt And Pepper, to taste
    1 cup Additional Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese

Instructions
    Cook 1 cut up fryer and pick out the meat to make two cups. Cook spaghetti in same chicken broth until al dente. Do not overcook. When spaghetti is cooked, combine with remaining ingredients except additional 1 cup sharp cheddar.
    Place mixture in casserole pan and top with remaining sharp cheddar. Cover and freeze up to six months, cover and refrigerate up to two days, or bake immediately: 350 degrees for 45 minutes until bubbly. (If the cheese on top starts to get too cooked, cover with foil).
    This sounds great, too. I've never seen a casserole that uses spaghetti before (and I'm a southerner, half of our potluck dinners are made out of casseroles).

Pentimenti, I love Linda's site. I've made so many things from there. I've recently started trying (again) to get in shape. I live with a full house, so we try different casseroles and recipes a lot. The problem is that when I'm trying to eat better I'm cooking for myself. That's when things like casseroles come in handy. I can portion it out and freeze it. That takes care of the problems of having it go bad before I can eat it all, and I have quick options for thoe day I can't or don't want to cook.

One that I really like is a version of a tater tot casserole that my sister used to make, but I changed the tater tots to cauliflower.

1 lbs. ground beef
    salt and pepper to taste
    1 10 oz. can of cream of mushroom soup
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    1 bag of frozen cauliflower florets

Brown the hamburger, seasoning to your liking, and drain. Microwave cauliflower for a few minutes. Combine soup and sour cream. Put hamburger in baking dish and pour soup mixture over it. Sprinkle some of the cheese. Cover with cauliflower. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Cover with the remaining cheese and bake for about 5 more minutes or until cheese is melted.

It doesn't really hide the vegetables, but I love cauliflower so it doesn't matter.