Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Can anyone help with making homemade pasta?!!http://turkernation.com/images/smilies/o

Thanks

Can anyone help with making homemade pasta?!!http://turkernation.com/images/smilies/o

For Christmas (actually after, hubby and I tend to wait until after to buy each other things we want), I got the pasta maker attachment for my Kitchen Aid mixer.
    What with one thing and another, it wasn't until yesterday that I tried it for the first time. It was not the fun, happy, feeling like my Nana, time that I thought it would be!
    I did manage to get enough fettuchini to just barely feed hubby and I, and it did taste good, but if I had known it was going to take so long, I would have started right after breakfast!
    Specifically-
    I used all semolina flour because that's what I had thought I had to use. It was very, very difficult to work with, and about halfway through became impossible to use.
    Does it have to be dried before cooking? I let it dry for awhile, but wondered if maybe I could just throw it in the pot right from the cutter, rather than battling the strands to get them on the rack.
    Has anyone had any experience with this attachme? It's the KPRA.
    And, does anyone have any good recipes?
    I will gladly appreciate any tips!

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

No you do not have to let it dry fully, it can go right in the pot if you want but I usually hang until I have made my entire batch to cook all at the same time.
    Practice makes perfect and you learn to be faster over time. It is best to work with smaller amounts if you have never done it before.. No you do not have to use semolina, and the grind of the flour will impact how easy it is to work with.
    It is all trial and error as to what works best for you.
    I recommend using a kitchen aid mixer as opposed to doing it the old fashioned way on the counter with a mound of flour and eggs.
    Watch some videos on youtube or see if your local Italian food store has any classes on making pasta.

*** Forum Supporter *** HITforbrains's Avatar
    Thanks

It's been a few years since I made fresh pasta, but I used a simple recipe of flour, egg, olive oil and water, which produced a smooth and workable dough. And like taintturk said, the pasta doesn't have to be dry before you cook it.

My experience with making fresh pasta taught me that it's a hell of a lot easier to buy it dried in a box. The difference in taste was infinitesimal to me.

But have fun, and good luck!
    Have you recycled today?

Thanks
    Thanked 39,218 Times in 11,031 Posts

I just looked up some great easy recipes on internet. All look pretty easy and you do not have to use semolina. Don't use semolina until you have tried a few batches w/o it. My grandmother always used to let the pasta dry, like overnight before she cut it. (Back in old days before machines.) Keep it simple before you get complicated. Don't use recipes that come with attachment--they are too difficult--in the beginning.

Thanks

Thank you for the tips! I have looked around online too and found that I probably did it the very hardest way first time around!! I am going to try a new batch today or tomorrow, no semolina this time, and see how that works. If all goes well, maybe I will post a photo here(can I do that?!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bmartino For This Useful Post:

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bmartino View Post
    Thank you for the tips! I have looked around online too and found that I probably did it the very hardest way first time around!! I am going to try a new batch today or tomorrow, no semolina this time, and see how that works. If all goes well, maybe I will post a photo here(can I do that?!)
    yea you can post photos here

Mmm, homemade pasta. I don't have a mixer like you, I mix it by hand, then use a hand-cranked stainless steel deaile. The more times you make it, the easier it is.

I use all-purpose flour, eggs, a tiny pinch salt, bit of water, and olive oil, with measurements adjusted according to how much I make. My one big tip, okay a few tips - let the dough rest a while before working with it; while you're working with one portion of dough, keep the rest covered in saran wrap so it doesn't dry; and humid weather is not friendly (makes it sticky and droopy). I like it with a simple tomato and basil sauce. The texture of fresh pasta is so good and, well, fresh!