Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are your preliminary garden plans?

Lightbulb What are your preliminary garden plans?

I know it's too soon to be planting anything yet, but I will be starting seeds indoors next month. I plan on doing kale, squash (zucchini & yellow), tomatoes (I always have a bunch of different varieties), cucumbers, and basil. I also want to try beets and carrots again this year...I didn't have much luck last year. What are you planning? What have you done in the past? What zone are you in? Any tips for growing beets and carrots?

I'm in zone 6. Currently planning four varieties of heirloom cherry tomatoes (squirrels destroy my full-size ones, so I'm not making the effort this year), bell peppers, arugula, two varieties of kale, snow peas, green beans, radishes, and either carrots or turnips. My wife will do a bunch of different herbs in pots: basil, rosemary, parsley, sage, spearmint and peppermint, maybe some others.

The tip I've heard for carrots is that germination is the trick--the seeds need to be kept wet almost constantly until they germinate. So you surface sow them and cover them with burlap or paper grocery sacks drenched in water, to help make sure they don't dry out.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endlessnumbereddays For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've lived in an apartment most of my life, but my son recently purchased a house with an acre! of land. He says I can have a garden there, but I'm not sure where to even start.

Thanks

I am readying my seed order!!! In the fall I planted lots of garlic, so will have to till up a bigger garden this year, but I will have: Lettuce, peas, carrots, parsnips, cherry tomatoes, eggplant, broccoli, cabbage, squash- both summer and winter, beans, and my potatoes planted in a chicken wire cage like I did last year. Also, herbs. I grew up watching and helping my dad garden, and have had a garden most years of my adult life. There's nothing like fresh vegetables right out of the garden!
    pentimenti- start simple so you don't get overwhelmed! Lettuce is so easy and delicious to try!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bmartino For This Useful Post:

pentimenti: start with easy stuff to grow and modest amounts so you don't burn yourself out. Gardening takes learning, and there's no sense in overdoing it when you're just getting started. Easy stuff to grow: radishes, summer squash (zucchini), cucumbers, basil, lettuce, kale, swiss chard, okra. Tomatoes and peppers aren't bad, but they generally need to be caged, and you should buy plants rather than grow them from seed.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endlessnumbereddays For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by endlessnumbereddays View Post
    I'm in zone 6. Currently planning four varieties of heirloom cherry tomatoes (squirrels destroy my full-size ones, so I'm not making the effort this year), bell peppers, arugula, two varieties of kale, snow peas, green beans, radishes, and either carrots or turnips. My wife will do a bunch of different herbs in pots: basil, rosemary, parsley, sage, spearmint and peppermint, maybe some others.

The tip I've heard for carrots is that germination is the trick--the seeds need to be kept wet almost constantly until they germinate. So you surface sow them and cover them with burlap or paper grocery sacks drenched in water, to help make sure they don't dry out.
    Thanks for the tip about the carrots! I'm in zone 6 too. I've been meaning to try mint, but I know its kinda invasive & I don't want it taking over. I should just do it in a pot so it can't escape. I started a strawberry bed last year, but I haven't been outside lately to check on how they are doing.

First thing on my gardening To Do list is give my goats to a friend. lol We don't have a goat-proof pen for them so they roam the property and make gardening impossible. I have a friend/neighbor with a couple goats who will take them so I can garden. If not I'll have to go shopping and get fencing to goat-proof the garden area.

Hoping to plant lots of early, cool-weather plants this year. Making plans for sugar snaps, spinach, kale and lettuce soon.
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Mint works great in pots. That invasive quality means it's basically unkillable however you grow it.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endlessnumbereddays For This Useful Post:

I've been planning my garden since late December 😄 . . . curling up in the evenings with a gardening book and a warm cup of chamomile tea . . . dreaming about the day I'll harvest my own chamomile.

Three years ago I moved from a desert to a bread basket. I'm now in zone 5/6 and my garden plan is ambitious. I will combine vegetables, herbs, and flowers together in a "cottage" style arrangement. I've also started seeds and they're sitting adorably in mini greenhouses on my kitchen table.

🌱

Quote Originally Posted by endlessnumbereddays View Post
    Mint works great in pots. That invasive quality means it's basically unkillable however you grow it.
    I can testify to that. I had a mint plant growing indoors and then when I left the desert and moved to the bread basket I transplanted it to the yard where it turned into something I didn't recognize anymore and took over the whole yard. Well, not the whole yard, but a good chunk of it. In just one season! Mint is awesome 😄

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast