We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawsuit against Crowdflower is going to become a class action now

Thanks
    Thanked 6,722 Times in 2,160 Posts

Lawsuit against Crowdflower is going to become a class action now

http://scholar.google.com/scholar_ca...=1&oi=scholarr

*sigh* So ridiculous... how do you measure hourly wages when you only work in 2 minute bursts, or I'm faster than you are and I get double minimum wage and you don't? Does this mean CF should start blocking the disabled from working on their stuff because they're going to be too slow and will have to be paid minimum wage? Ridiculous.
    It's all good.

Thanks

Beginning of the end of CrowdSourcing Very ridiculous I agree. What part of "If you can't make minimum wage on the HIT, DON'T DO IT!" are people missing? FFS. I need coffee.
    Suga.....oh Money Money

Thanks

Not to mention that A) a lot of CF's hits aren't US only (50% are US workers? don't think so... proxies), B) the people suing did very little work for them to begin with, and C) I feel sorry for whoever at CF has to find all the IPs for every worker who's ever done work for them over the 200+ websites they source through.
    Maybe we should countersue.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 320 Posts

It will also mean requesters like Oscar and Jon Brelig can be sued too. Oscar is run by Linked In so they have deep pockets. The recent blog posts by MTurk about Oscar-Linked In will made them look bad for promoting such business practices.

http://mechanicalturk.typepad.com/bl...ical-turk.html

The best way for Mturk to look good is to promote fair and reasonable wages. They get a percentage of each hit. By promoting a fair wage it means they get greater revenue too. Mturk is already cheap for requesters to post work. Just that they must understand that the people posting the work are not programmers and they must make a simple interface. They need to listen to that type of requester to find and correct the little things that keeps them from posting work.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

This whole thing makes me grumpy because it looks like I'm on CrowdFlower's side which I am NOT!

Suing the requesters isn't the answer. It just isn't. Project, I agree and disagree with you at the same time. Yes Amazon will look better if they have a workplace that offers fair pay but fair is subjective now isn't it? As Lonny said, some of the workforce isn't in the US...so I don't see how it's fair to govern the site by US standards.

Nevermind the fact that CrowdSourcing is just a fancy way of saying piecework which has long been outlawed in the US. Lawsuits of this nature are sure to bring that up and that my friend is the industry killer from where I see it.

Can't have it both ways and that's what I see in this lawsuit...along with a complete abdication of personal responsibility.

(had the coffee)
    Suga.....oh Money Money

Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 320 Posts

What I am saying is this ruling makes other requesters open to having class action suits taken against and the lawyers could try to add MTurk as a co defenant based on their public statements. Apple lost a recent patent case because of statements by Steve Jobs at a keynote address. This is one of the reasons Mturk is afraid to talk to people as their statements can be used against them.

Thanks

I'm not on CF's side either, I just think the whole thing is a crock of bs. I'd rather see something like this (if it has to happen) come from people who actually do work on mturk, not piss around for a few days and throw out a lawsuit.

I must say I am of two minds about this. This is piecework, it shouldn't be allowed, too many people are getting rich off our work. That people continue to think that it's okay to pay a penny for work that takes several minutes, that they reduce the pay for work that gets done quickly, these things bother me. That's my grandfather the union organizer in me. On the other hand, I like being able to make a few cents at times when it wouldn't be possible to be paid at my regular job, and in my case I can't really take a part-time job in my town. So I don't want this to go away. It's not a lot of my income, but it's enough to help pay down debts from a difficult time. I know that many of us are in the same situation, and it's better to have scraps than to have nothing.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to turkinok For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by turkinok View Post
    I must say I am of two minds about this. This is piecework, it shouldn't be allowed, too many people are getting rich off our work. That people continue to think that it's okay to pay a penny for work that takes several minutes, that they reduce the pay for work that gets done quickly, these things bother me. That's my grandfather the union organizer in me. On the other hand, I like being able to make a few cents at times when it wouldn't be possible to be paid at my regular job, and in my case I can't really take a part-time job in my town. So I don't want this to go away. It's not a lot of my income, but it's enough to help pay down debts from a difficult time. I know that many of us are in the same situation, and it's better to have scraps than to have nothing.
    Just remember that this is NOT a unionized organization, and the wages are determined by the market (its called capitalism). As long as workers accept low-paying HITs at an acceptable rate, there is no reason for the requester to raise the price. I don't like the specific situation, but the wide-ranging success of our economy depends on this principle. I think we should stop asking the government to interfere with our problems.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turkem88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by turkem88 View Post
    I think we should stop asking the government to interfere with our problems.
    I disagree with you on this. I respect your opinion and hope you respect mine. I am, as I said, of two minds about this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast