We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How worthwhile is a subscription to Prime?

I think Prime is worth it if you like streaming and the Kindle library. After being a Prime member almost since the start I am still on the fence on whether I will renew or not, especially now that the price has gone up. For the past year my 2 day shipping has turned into 4 days or more on some items. Most of the time I don't need my items within 2 days, but it is the principle - they promise 2 days and aren't delivering. I also hate that there is a growing amount of "add-on" items where you have to spend $25. One such add-on item was going for $12 as an add-on. I could go to the store and purchase that item for 1.59 talk about a mark up! To me I have found myself shopping elsewhere and usually saving money even locally with taxes included. I don't use streaming and though I have a Kindle I don't use the lending library. I think it totally depends on how you will use it if it will be worth it or not.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to athenatree For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the very interesting thread, everyone!

I've thought about Prime but I'm so addicted to Amazon anyhow, I think it would just make me spend more money, not save any. And if the free shipping doesn't include the third party vendors, well, I think that seals up my decision.

Thanks for the info.

CF

I'm still waiting for Amazon to add one thing that would make Prime worth it for me. As of now, the only part of Prime I am interested in is the borrowing of books. Problem is the selection is just abysmal and revolves around fiction too much.

If they someday give an option to tack on a separate subscription fee for tech-related book companies like O'reilly, I would gladly pay the $100 a year and an O'reilly book borrow for another 5-7 bucks a month recurring. This is probably never going to happen, but it's probably the only thing that would make Prime worth it for me. Hint Hint Amazon.

They've jacked the price up this year but I'm still okay with it. I did drop my Barnes & Noble "member" thing this year, so that makes up for it. B&N is filling up their meatspace stores with a lot of kid junk and toys, and when you add in the street people and other folks who take up all the seats in the cafe while they read the newspapers and magazines for free, I'm ready to forego the shopping experience completely.

I haven't used the streaming stuff much so far because I'm not really a TV person. I still think Amazon Prime is a good value.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,295 Times in 320 Posts

At $99 a year, Prime is no longer worth it unless you buy lots of stuff on Amazon and need it in 2 days. Many things are now add on items requiring you to get the order to $25 before they will ship it for free. Their original series are junk. You have to be very careful in looking for something to watch because most of streaming movies & shows are not free as part of Prime. Interesting that Amazon now has to run ads on TV to get new people.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I was having second thoughts about Amazon Prime until I tried out their new music site. WOW! Amazon really knows how to do something right. Looks like I'll be keeping Prime for at least another year.

My first item to get was a Paul Simon album.
    ----------------------------
    -Robert

Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to genoa For This Useful Post:

I probably shop Amazon about 15 times a year, and thought about Prime, but my initial concern was with the shipping time. Two days promised but not kept for so many people. That was under the old rate, too. I don't use any of the other features, so for me the current charge is just not worth it. Another concern with Amazon that I just discovered over the past six months was how careful you need to be to make sure you're not getting a knock-off product. I was thinking of ordering a Clarisonic until I discovered Amazon is not a legitimate distributor for the manufacturer and that voided any warranty. I'm really careful now when I'm looking to make a purchase through them ... advice to all, READ the reviews!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've had prime for a couple years, I wasn't happy with the price increase but I still use it enough to justify the cost. I LOVE that they added the music part!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to arsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm glad I decided to get it because of all the movies I watch as well as a free pre-release Kindle book every month, the music and the free shipping. I'm not happy with the increase, but will continue to keep it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to moffett For This Useful Post:

One thing I ran into when I recently tried my free Prime trial membership was that, when it came down to it, the items I wanted didn't qualify for Prime shipping! I buy from a lot of third party vendors, either to save on the cost of the item or because they are the only ones carrying the item, and what I didn't realize is that most of the items I buy off of amazon do not qualify for prime shipping for this reason.

The other thing is that I already have a netflix subscription and get my TV/movie/music needs met elsewhere so that didn't do much for me. If I'm not mistaken, the free kindle book you get each month is not even remotely the kind of book I'd want to read--the books I'd want to read are either not even on kindle or are expensive anyway and certainly not going to be one of the freebies.

So, Prime didn't seem worth it to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast