We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How worthwhile is a subscription to Prime?

Thanks

Question How worthwhile is a subscription to Prime?

I'm tempted to sign up, but other than the free shipping, what do you like best?

If you want to stream their movies to your TV, what kind of device do you use?

As always, thanks in advance for info.

Leslie

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

I enjoy it.

I am not too happy about the price but I am in my second year of having prime.

I LOVE the free shipping and no minimums.

I also use the prime movies and TV fairly frequently, but after having it for two years, I have honestly seen almost all the free movies that interest me and they only add new free movies about every month or more. My blueray player has amazon on it (like netflix), so it is very convenient to search right on the TV and play. So I do not have a netfilx subscription, I only have the amazon prime. I do watch a LOT of movies so probably have seen 300? free movies on amazon prime.

That being said, I have watched full seasons/series of at least 10 tv shows, sons of anarchy, American horror story, justified and others.

One thing they offer that I do not use is they allow you one book a month on kindle for free i think. So if you used that, it would pay for itself in a year.

My opinion is that it would be a great value at $50, but is a little bit too expensive. I will probably end up getting it again this year though lol

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 PM ----------

Oh and even with prime, if you want a new release, they are 3.99-4.99 for standard and 4.99-5.99 high def.
    But you can use your amazon gift card balance to pay for them which is very convenient.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to taintturk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,302 Times in 320 Posts

I just ordered Prime while the 2 day shipping is nice. I do agree with Taint about the price. For the video streaming, watch what you choose because not everything is free. Prime does allow some ebooks to be read for for free but that only lasts as long as your Prime subscription lasts.

If you plan on abusing Prime for the video get a Roku so you can watch them on the TV without a computer. Amazon video is supported on other devices like the Wii. If you plan on buying something else be sure to check if Amazon Video is supported.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

If you plan on abusing Prime for the video get a Roku so you can watch them on the TV without a computer. Amazon video is supported on other devices like the Wii. If you plan on buying something else be sure to check if Amazon Video is supported.
    I'm actually just really curious what you mean by "abusing"?

Thanks

Try watching 2 to 3 hours of video a day and then look at how much bandwidth you used. Plus it is possible to order little things every day for a year and have them ship seperately. All that Ups shipping will add up quickly for Amazon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Project 2501 View Post
    Try watching 2 to 3 hours of video a day and then look at how much bandwidth you used. Plus it is possible to order little things every day for a year and have them ship seperately. All that Ups shipping will add up quickly for Amazon.
    Thanks that's very interesting to get your take on it. I would have never thought of doing that. It seems like a lot of effort and expense to go through just to scam Amazon. The same with watching 2-3 hours of their video a day - seems like a lot of effort to "cheat" them.

Thanks

An example of an item that makes Prime a bargain.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the...11-28?mod=e2tw

So what’s the heaviest item Amazon will ship for free? The company declined to say, but the makers of a 1,509-pound safe (shipping weight: 1,672 pounds) claim the prize for biggest bang for one’s 79 bucks.
    The Cannon Commander Series 54 is designed by Cannon Safe to hold up to 48 guns, but can also be used to protect jewelry and important documents. It stands 6-feet tall, features a 5.75-inch thick steel door with 13 locking bolts and sells for $3,486.57 on Amazon.
    “We charge customers around $700 to ship this safe, but when they buy it through Amazon they get it shipped for free

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

I've had Prime for a few years now. If you have a .edu email address they frequently offer Prime for free for a limited time.

I use my Sony Blu-ray player to stream movies from Amazon to my TV, and also use the website directly from my PC. I've found Amazon tends to take about twice as long to move from clicking a movie to watching as Netflix. Similar to taintturk, I've gone through most of the free movies, but they do seem to add new-ish (as in last year) movies every now and then. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Amazon occasionally gives out video GCs if you buy other products. I've used these to get a few older movies that are now mine to keep and stream from Amazon whenever I'd like. Its not necessarily a Prime benefit, but it is an advantage over Netflix.

Overall I think its a nice bonus to get the video offerings, but I only consider the cost of Prime membership worth it because of all the products I get the free 2-day shipping on. Its become seriously frustrating now when I shop on other sites that don't offer the free 2 day option since Amazon has spoiled me. Without the shipping deal I wouldn't subscribe.

Thanks

I like the Kindle lending library. You can get one "prime" book per month for no cost.

Also the Customer Service is very good. If shipments late for any reason, it has been

my experience to receive an additional month to my subscription.

Lastly, I am a professional procrastinator, so buying and shipping directly to the intended

recipient has been a tremendous help.
    "At any given moment you have the power to say this is not how the story is going to end." Unknown

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Grodgers View Post
    I like the Kindle lending library. You can get one "prime" book per month for no cost.

Also the Customer Service is very good. If shipments late for any reason, it has been

my experience to receive an additional month to my subscription.

Lastly, I am a professional procrastinator, so buying and shipping directly to the intended

recipient has been a tremendous help.
    I totally agree on the customer service. If you order something from prime and it is not perfect, they will bend over backwards to help you in any way possible.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast