We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Dark of the moon in Virgo, plant things that grow under the ground

Thanks

Dark of the moon in Virgo, plant things that grow under the ground

Dark of the Moon
    I have been experimenting with planting by the signs of the moon. Just wanted to let you know that we are in the dark of the moon now and today is a very good day to plant things that grow underground. After all, the dark of the moon only comes once a month.

Moon in Virgo
    Additionally the moon is in the sign of Virgo. While not as good for fruiting as Cancer, Scorpio or Pisces, or flower blooms (Libra), Virgo (like Taurus) offers some sturdiness to plants and their stems and leaves. This may be useful for the plants in your fall garden when the frost comes.

Propagation by rooting cuttings
    Today's emphasis on growth under the ground may also be useful to those of you who like to start or root cuttings. When we take a cutting of an existing plant and put it in some medium (dirt, potting soil, seed germination mix) to produce roots and therefore another plant, we want the plant's emphasis and energy to go toward forming roots under the ground. So today you may want to engage in rooting cuttings. I have had success rooting with and without rooting hormone powder. I have some, so I'll use it today with some rosemary cuttings I am about to take.

Fall Planting
    If you are in a region where planting for a fall garden is possible, you may want to consider planting today. Here are some things I am going to plant today:
    • radishes
    • carrots
    • beets
    • parsnips

My father taught me to plant radishes and carrots together in the same row. Radishes germinate super fast, which is useful as a visual row marker for the carrots. (you know what I mean those of us who forget to mark rows). I suspect that the radish greens also protect the more tiny and delicate carrot seedlings. Radishes' roots also grow waaaaaaaay faster than carrots, so by the time the little orange fingers begin to flesh themselves out, you have plucked and eaten the little round red roots. The radishes help loosen the soil for the carrots also. Isn't that nice? Loose sandy soil is best for these kinds of vegetables. Shout out to Georgia, Alabama and Florida! Plant yo' root vegetables!

Happy Turking and Gardening!
    ilovebeans

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovebeans For This Useful Post:

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

Interesting. I have loose sandy soil in my yard (Florida) and have not planted yet. Probably not going for root veggies though because I have a very small area that will only accommodate my herbs and tomatoes w/ a little lettuce.

Thanks

I think Virgo would be a good sign for planting lettuce, as well as herbs and turnip or collard greens. These are not fruiting or blooming but rather leafy. I find that I have to keep planting lettuce in succession to always have some. Still in the 90's here this week, and I am trying to make sure I plant the lettuce in the shadows of my tomatoes and peppers to protect from the harsh (to little lettuce seedlings) sun. I also planted some cucumbers recently. We will see how they produce.