We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Bad year for yellow squash?

Bad year for yellow squash?

Hi all,

I'm in the Northeast, and we had a bad year for yellow squash. My husband and I planted 6 yellow squash plants. We didn't get a single squash from any of them. Same goes for our zucchini. Not a one. My neighbor got some zucchinis from his plants and gave us some, since he had so many. He also didn't get any yellow squash. We got plenty of cherry tomatoes, Romas, sweet peas, hericot verde, etc. Even our bell peppers only produced a pepper or 2 on each plant.

We had some tiny ones a couple months ago, but they disappeared. It looked like they were bitten off the plants. My husband asked the person who supplies produce at the restaurant he works at, and they said nobody got any yellow squash this year.

Did any of you get yellow squash?

I don't know what happened! I had 3 zucchini plant and only got 2! It seems to be the story all aver. too much rain?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to librarian50 For This Useful Post:

We did; we're in zone 6/7. You know, we had something big munching on our plants this year. The neighbor said it was wolves or coyotes. We don't live on the farm, so we have to take his word for it. Whatever it was, it ate the crap out of our cantaloupe and squash.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to VerucaSalt For This Useful Post:

I don't know either. I didn't think we got that much rain, but it was a late season. It took a while here before it was warm enough, without a frost, to plant. I tried starting some stuff inside, but some of those didn't do so well.

I'm thinking a skunk or a raccoon was munching my squash plants. We don't have a lot of coyotes here, as I'm in kind of a suburb. There are some coyotes around the area, but just in the more rural spots. The pumpkins have been doing well, and so have the cucumbers. The neighbor had a cantaloupe, but I'm not sure if he's gotten any melons from that plant this year.

It could have even been squirrels munching the squash. My other neighbor has a pear tree in her yard, and I keep seeing squirrels running over to a tree in another yard with a pear in their mouths.

Nothing munched on mine. They had tons of flowers, but they did not bear fruit. I will try again next year for sure because the two I got were amazing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to librarian50 For This Useful Post:

That was the weird part. My plants had a lot of blossoms, but out of both the zukes and the yellow squash, I only saw 3 tiny fruit come, and the critters got those. Next year, we're going to sell the blossoms to a local restaurant. They serve them as an appetizer of some kind, where they stuff them with cream cheese and whatever.

Thanks

Yes Its the rain, I live also in northeast and a very respected gardener told me that when it rains all this time like it had the flowers will rot and fall off and thats why you have such a small yield.

Thanks

I had some squash come up in my compost pile and while they flowered like crazy, they didn't make any squash. I haven't seen a lot at our farmer's market or local produce spot either. Tons of eggplant though!

Quote Originally Posted by Ren1310 View Post
    Yes Its the rain, I live also in northeast and a very respected gardener told me that when it rains all this time like it had the flowers will rot and fall off and thats why you have such a small yield.
    That is what I suspected! Thank you.