We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: I'm a little confused about Turk Alert...

Thanks

Arrow I'm a little confused about Turk Alert...

I'm just starting my third week and still taking it slowly, trying to get my feet firmly on the ground. For the past couple of days I've been watching Turk Alert and I'm a little confused. Or it could be I just don't understand exactly how it works (which is highly likely )

I see new HITS pop up from Requesters that I've already learned generally post a decent sized batch each time. Yet, even when it takes me something like 2.5 seconds to get to them, they're all already gone. How does that happen? Is there some magic way a person is accepting all of them at once? And/or do some people accept a bunch of HITS really quickly but not do them right away to make sure they get them, then let them sit in the Assigned to You spot for a bit, to decide later if they will actually do them or return them?

I do a HIT as soon as I accept it and that's not likely to change so it's not really all that big a deal... I just hate being in the state of confusion
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
    can be judged by the way its animals are treated. --Ghandi

There is a huge delay from when a hit actually shows on MTurk to when you receive the email from Turk Alert. Sometimes the delay is 2 minutes and other times you may not get an email until after all hits are taken.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to bigpoppapump For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bigpoppapump View Post
    There is a huge delay from when a hit actually shows on MTurk to when you receive the email from Turk Alert. Sometimes the delay is 2 minutes and other times you may not get an email until after all hits are taken.
    I've had the same experience, which I expect is a Yahoo issue.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 2,088 Posts

Turk Alert sends emails every 5 minutes, so the HITs can be 5 minutes old by the time you get it.

If you want immediate alerts, you have to be in chat - it posts there as soon as the HITs go up.
    It's all good.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

It also depends on how your email is set up. If it only pulls from the email server every ten minutes, you're gonna miss stuff. I have mine set to five, but I mostly use TA for hits that I know won't disappear quickly.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonny For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks all for your input. The only thing I want to clarify is I'm not set up to get the e-mail. I was just watching it on Turk Alert where it updates, I think, every 90 seconds or so. But I suspect the same thing applies... that by the time they pop up there, they're already at least a couple of minutes old.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress
    can be judged by the way its animals are treated. --Ghandi

Thanks

I quit using TA, the emails were kinda spammy and always late, like people said. I sort of make do refreshing the search list and sorting by creation date (newest first) and hoping I get lucky.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,455 Times in 2,088 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BobbieInIndiana View Post
    Thanks all for your input. The only thing I want to clarify is I'm not set up to get the e-mail. I was just watching it on Turk Alert where it updates, I think, every 90 seconds or so. But I suspect the same thing applies... that by the time they pop up there, they're already at least a couple of minutes old.
    That list is updated once per minute, just like chat, I believe.
    It's all good.

Thanks

I am new and I am slow, but so far I have not had luck with the TAs in chat. However I really value chat and I will continue to use chat whether the TA posts ever work out for me. Chat is awesome. People are so nice and today I got to help someone by mentioning a good paying HIT.

I'm new as well and found the same issue when I was looking at the hits on the TA site. I was also wondering if I might be doing something wrong.