Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pizza Thread

Cast iron pizza is truly the best pizza there is. I've been making my own pizza for a while now, though mine is attempting to be CT-style (if you're from New England you probably just call this "pizza"). The only problem is that you need to bench proof the dough, so preheating the cast iron is off the table. I tend to just leave the pan on a burner for a few minutes to get it warmed up before baking/

Thanks
    Thanked 39,218 Times in 11,031 Posts

Here is a question for pizza lovers. If you had to make pizza for a large group of people, say, 20, how would you go about it. I want to allow them to add their own toppings. I have two ovens at the lodge.Should I make individual little pizzas, bake them with sauce --allow people to put on toppings and then return to oven? I need help with logistics here --dinners are always between 7-9 pm. people come when they like. Any ideas?

I wouldn't try to bake 20 individual pizzas even with 2 ovens available. Logistically, it seems that 4-5 large plain (sauce/cheese) pizzas is the best strategy. Then you could divide each of the cheese pizzas in half, putting one to two toppings only on each half, maybe veggie halves and meat halves. Skip the exotics like pineapples and anchovies...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luthie For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by luthie View Post
    Skip the exotics like pineapples and anchovies...
    Or do only pineapple and anchovies depending on what your goal is, like if it's making sure you don't get asked to the feed the large group again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to pentimenti For This Useful Post:

Hmmm...I've made cast iron pizza before and it was great, but I never thought to start it on a burner first before sticking in the oven. I'll have to try it next time! I can do either thick or thin, but if I had to choose, I'd probably go with thin NY-style pizza. My favorite topping combination is probably browned Italian sausage with caramelized onions and fresh shredded basil (or maybe fresh oregano). The sausage combined with the sweet onions is just so yummy...mmm....:-)

do you have to put tinfoil on the grill to make the dough not fall through your grill grates? cuz it sounds like it might, but I'm down for grilling a pizza.

I've heard grilling a pizza is delicious! My dad has a smoker and we have had smoked pizza before! It gives it that wood oven taste! Man I'm hungry....

Thanks

I prefer a hand-tossed crust, not too thin, and not too thick. I guess I've become accustomed to that growing up on the east coast. I live in Delaware, and we actually have a chain here (24 locations) called Grotto Pizza. They make a hand-tossed crust pizza, but they put cheddar cheese on it and then the sauce goes on top in a swirl-type pattern. It's okay, but not my favorite. One of my favorites these days is actually the Digiornio Pizzas out of the freezer section. Ever since they redid the recipe a couple years back, I think they are really good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234