We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Cabbage worms

Angry Cabbage worms

Any tips on getting rid of these little green eating machines? I picked off a bunch, but my poor broccoli plants have many skeletal leaves now

I have them in containers, with a marigold in each. Mostly cool rainy weather this year, which isn't helping.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,565 Times in 593 Posts

Other than trying to cover them and hand picking, which is a problem in and of itself, Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) might be your best bet. It is considered to be an organic method and can be successful with proper application. Good luck! I know the frustrations that trying to grow brassicas to harvest can bring.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,951 Times in 716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrstark View Post
    Any tips on getting rid of these little green eating machines? I picked off a bunch, but my poor broccoli plants have many skeletal leaves now

I have them in containers, with a marigold in each. Mostly cool rainy weather this year, which isn't helping.
    BTK (Bacillus thuringiensis var. kurstaki) will work wonders.

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,393 Times in 1,501 Posts

You can also use FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth. Although they do not have exoskeletons, I have heard that it works and is very inexpensive and all natural.

Do not buy the crap at home depot it has nasty stuff mixed in, order it online and only buy the food grade.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to taintturk For This Useful Post:

The previous recommendations were great. You can also spray with a dilute mixture of dr. Bronner's Peppermint soap for a quick/temporary fix but it will burn the leaves a bit for sure.