We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Food

BBQ Food

Since the 4th is tomorrow and a lot of us will be BBQ'n, I was wondering what's everyone's favorite cookout food/sides/etc.? Kinda need some new ideas anyway!

Thanks

I actually love to grill out and do so as often as I can, which is usually at least every other weekend when it is warm. I grill pretty much everything, even the vegetables! If I had to pick a favorite, I'd go with boneless chicken skewers with a good garlic sauce glaze with onions and peppers, though it is hard to beat a well-prepared steak. My grilling advice is always to keep it simple. Some grilling recipes get much too detailed in my opinion.

I'm a sucker for grilled potatoes: sliced, diced or whole. Tomorrow I think I'll just rub whole ones with salt, pepper and olive oil for grilled/baked potatoes.

Thanks

I love bratwurst and broccoli salad with the raisins and bacon. My sister always brings a 7 layer dip re-fried beans, etc and it is always the first thing gone, she never makes enough for our appetites!
    Last edited by binderlady; 07-03-2013 at 07:53 PM. Reason: instead of re-fried beans I put re-friends, who knows?

Thanks

Pork belly is definitely my favorite, with a garlic sauce and bit of mayo.

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 1,665 Posts

I realize that this thread is from last year, but, hey, it's June, so grilling time is officially underway in my neck of the woods. So, I'll offer two recommendations for those summer get togethers. We're boaters, so every weekend throughout the summer is an unofficial potluck at the marina. Here's two we did last year that were a big hit:

Side: Stuffed Strawberries (from a YouTube video) - Really a nice little, fancy lookin' fingerfood. Would be great for baby/bridal showers, etc.

Large Strawberries, cleaned and cut off just the stem end a little so the berry will stand with point up.

Mix together 8 oz. cream cheese, 1/4 to 1/2 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 to 1/2 c powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you want the filling).

With a sharp knife, cut an X in the tip of the berry BE CAREFUL NOT TO CUT DOWN TO THE BASE. You just want to be able to open the berry up like a flower.

Fill the center of the berry with the cream cheese mixture. You want the filling to sort of seep out the sides and top a little bit. (You can use a plastic baggie with a small opening cut off of one of the corners to "pipe" the filling in. I picked up a cheapo gadget at one of our local superstores for cake decorating, came with a bunch of different tips.)

To make them look fancy/finished, drizzle a little melted chocolate over the top. I picked up the microwaveable chocolate used for chocolate covered bananas/strawberries in the produce section of the grocery store. I just used a fork (tip of prongs) dipped in the melted chocolate to make a haphazard little splotch on the top.

Refrigerate until ready to transport/eat. The combo of the berry, flavored cream cheese and chocolate is just devine!

Side: Stuffed Jalapenos wrapped in bacon (not quite what you're thinkin'). Please don't laugh, but the name for this type of stuffed pepper is actually "Atomic Buffalo Turds" (a/k/a ABTs) and, yes, you can find the full recipe and how to make them by searching.

These are not the wimpy, half pepper with a little cream cheese. These are the full, seeded, large peppers (I par boil 'em first) stuffed to overflowing with a combo of Hot Italian Sausage/Cream Cheese/Hot Pepper Jack Cheese and, of course, cayenne (or any other hot stuff you can think of). I picked up a plastic "gun" (looks and works like a caulking gun) that's actually for making homemade venison beef jerky. We load up the gun with the stuffing mixture, then pump it into the pepper shells until full.

Around the stuffed peppers goes a 1/2 slice of center cut bacon, held together with a toothpick.

Stand them up in a rack designed to hold peppers (local home improvement stores have some cheap ones, I own a heavy duty one found on Ebay ... holds 24 at a time) and grill for approx. 1/2 hour or until bacon is done. If you don't want to buy a stand, you can also make your own by drilling 1" holes in an overturned aluminum 9"x13" baking pan.

These ABTs as they're called go great with beer and/or your favorite alcoholic beverage.

Also, for more unusual BBQ ideas, there's videos on YouTube for the BBQ Pit Boys ... wild bunch, esp. if you like the looks of ZZTop. We're going to be trying their "Potato Bombs" recipe.

Hope I didn't violate any rules with this post.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FeistyLady99 For This Useful Post:

OMG feisty, I am sooo going to try this thanks.

I like to do tri-tip I love to marinade them and put them on the grill low heat for a long time nom nom

*** Forum Supporter *** FeistyLady99's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,347 Times in 1,665 Posts

Both of these are really, really good. My son works for a car dealership, and during the summer every Friday one of the groups (sales/service/admin) is in charge of bringing goodies for the masses. He informed me of this around 7 pm on Thursday night that he was on the list for the jalapenos. Imagine cleaning, stuffing, wrapping almost 80 of the darn things at 10 at night! They were a huge hit the next day with both the ladies and gents.

Just about to wrap em in bacon The filling was pretty standard.. cream cheese, shredded chedder, 3 italian sausages removed from their casings, chili and chipotle powder.. and something else that I forget at the moment.

Imagine cleaning, stuffing, wrapping almost 80 of the darn things
    I was pooped after doing 20

MMmmm, they're tasting really nice

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast