We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Thread: Setting up mIRC + having alarms play when HITs are posted

Thanks
    Thanked 6,389 Times in 2,072 Posts

Setting up mIRC + having alarms play when HITs are posted

First, download mIRC.

Install it according to the instructions. Make sure to choose "Full" next to "Select the type of install:". Once complete, check the box next to "Run mIRC" to open the program.

When it opens, click Continue.

The mIRC Options menu will pop up. Fill it out:

Nickname: Use your forum username, like "Spamgirl"
    Alternative: My recommendation is to use your forum username plus an underscore, like "Spamgirl_"
    Ignore Name and Email

In the menu on the left, click on Servers beneath Connect. Find IRCHighway in the list of folders on the right (it's alphabetical, for the most part) and double click it so that the folder opens. Click on Random Server, then click Select.

This takes you back to the Connect window. Click on the Connect button.

You will now connect to the server. Once complete, a Favorite Channels window will pop up.

Click Add and fill it out to match this example:

When you get to the IRCHighway part, you'll find it in the list like this:

Once done, UNcheck Pop-up favorites on connect and click Join.

You will now be in the #TurkerNation chatroom! To read the rules, type !rules. Have fun!

If you'd like to be alerted by a sound when your favorite requesters post HITs:

First, find the sound you'd like to use. My recommendation is to search your computer for sounds as downloading WAVs from the web can easily give you a virus. To do that, go to My Computer:

Open up your main drive - in my case, that is C:.

At the top right corner there should be a search box. Type in *.wav.

Go through the sounds which come up until you find one you like. When you do, right click on it and choose Copy.

Close that window. Now navigate to C:/users/(your user profile name)/AppData/Roaming/mIRC/Sounds. Paste the sound you copied here by right clicking and choosing Paste.

Close that window. Now, return to mIRC. Press alt and B at the same time. This opens the mIRC Address Book. Click on the Highlight tab. Check Enable highlighting and then click Add.

We will use requester 11223344 as an example. To get an alert when he posts HITs, enter in the following information:

Click No Sound and it will change to Beep. Click Beep and this dialog will come up:

Choose your sound, then click OK. Your window should look something like this:

Click OK. Your window should look something like this:

Repeat the process for every requester you would like an alert for. Remember to use the "!requester" text that the TN-Bot uses, like !Jack Stone instead of just !Stone. This will be the same name that appears in Turk Alert emails.

Click OK until you get back to the chatroom.
    Last edited by spamgirl; 07-06-2015 at 01:56 PM. Reason: housekeeping
    It's all good.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Oh, darn! Looks like there's no version for Linux, according to their FAQs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PilotGal View Post
    Oh, darn! Looks like there's no version for Linux, according to their FAQs.
    There should be linux IRC apps with similar scripting abilities.
    It's all good.

Thanks

Advanced alerts for TN-Sharer and TN-Bot:

Here are some examples of how to get alerts when the bots post generally. These scripts are placed in the Remotes tab of Script Editor.

I'm Canadian so I don't want to be alerted on HITs that are US only, so I script them out by doing this:

Code:
    on *:text:*!Jack Stone*:#turkernation:{ 
      IF ((*Quals: US* iswm $1-) || (*, US* iswm $1-)) {
        halt
      }
      ELSE {
        splay alert.wav
        window @UrgentAlert 959 0 959 467
        aline -pi @UrgentAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) *****  $1- $+
      }
    }
    You would replace Jack Stone with the Requester you want an alert for, and alert.wav with the name of a WAV or MP3 sound you're using as an alert (put the sound in the Sounds folder within your mIRC folder, typically C:\Users\YOURPROFILE\AppData\Roaming\mIRC\sounds. This will track the alerts in a separate window (UrgentAlert) so if you leave the room or go out for the day you can keep track of who posted. If you want different Requesters to appear in different windows, like "GeneralAlert" as well as "UrgentAlert" for the most important Requesters, you can just change @UrgentAlert to the new window's name for each Requester you want there. Change "US" if you want to exclude some other qualification, such as Masters.

This is an example of a Requester for whom I don't have all the qualifications they offer, so I only want to be alerted on HITs I know I can do.

Code:
    on *:text:*!Two Lakes*:#turkernation:{ 
      IF (*No Question* iswm $1-) {
        splay alert.wav
      }
      ELSE {
        window @TNBotAlert 959 0 959 934
        aline -pi @TNBotAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $1- $+
      }
    }
    As you can see it produces two windows, UrgentAlert for the HITs I can do and TNBotAlert in which I collect a record of all HITs posted by the bots (in case there is something I can get a new qualification for). In this script, you have to change Two Lakes to the name of the Requester, [B]No Question[B] to keywords from the title of the HITs you want an alert for, and alert.wav to the wav file you're using for alerts. Note that the HITs I can't do do NOT give an audio alert in this script, they are only tracked in the window.

You can also sort HITs by pay:

Code:
    on *:text:*!Sergey *:#turkernation:{ 
      IF (*0.00* iswm $1-) {
        aline -pi @TNBotAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $nick  $1- $+
      }
      ELSEIF (*0.0* iswm $1-)  {
        aline -pi @TNBotAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $nick  ***** $1- $+
      }
      ELSE {
        splay alert.wav
      }
    }
    In this case, 0 cent HITs get put into the window, but there is no audio alert and they don't have the asterisks in front of their entry (denoting something special). HITs from 1c-9c also have no audio alert, and get put into the same window. HITs of 10c or more get an audio alert and go into the UrgentAlert window. You must change Sergey and alert.wav.

I also have scripts that apply to the bots themselves:

Code:
    on TN-Sharer:text:*:#turkernation:{
      IF ((*Quals: US* iswm $1-) || (*, US* iswm $1-)) {
        halt
      }
      ELSEIF (*; US* iswm $1-) {
        halt
      }
      ELSEIF ((*0.0* iswm $1-) || (*0.1* iswm $1-)) {
        window @mTurkLinkAlert 959 467 959 467
        aline -pi @mTurkLinkAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $nick  $chan  $1- $+
        splay lowurgency.wav
      }
      ELSE {
        aline -pi @UrgentAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $nick  $chan  $1- $+
        splay alert.wav
        halt
      }
    }
    This script doesn't show me any HITs that are US only, and has a different audio alert for HITs under 20c than for those over 20c (which I'll knock down my grandma to get to . You have to change lowurgency.wav to your low urgency sound, and alert.wav to your high urgency sound, "US" if you want to exclude some other qualification, such as Masters, and the cent amounts.

Code:
    on *:text:4!*:#turkernation:{
      IF ((*0.0* iswm $1-) || (*0.1* iswm $1-)) {
        splay lowurgency.wav
      }
      ELSEIF  ((*Mondal* iswm $1-) || (*11223344* iswm $1-) || (*!OCMP* iswm $1-)) {
        splay special.wav
      }
      ELSE {
        aline -pi @UrgentAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $nick  $chan  $1- $+
        splay alert.wav
        halt
      }
    }
    This alert works if anyone posts an !alert in chat. The first bit again gives a low urgency sound to HITs under 20c, the second uses a special sound (special.wav) to alert for specific Requesters, and the third gives an urgent alert to all HITs over 20c. You have to change the wavs and Requester names.

Code:
    on *:text:*mturk.com*:#turkernation:{
      IF (* US * iswm $1-) {
        halt
      }
      ELSEIF (($nick == manzician) || ($nick == manzician_) || ($nick == manzician__)) {
        splay special.wav
      }
      ELSE {
        window @mTurkLinkAlert 959 467 959 467
        aline -pi @mTurkLinkAlert $remove(( $time ), $chr(32)) $nick  $chan  $1- $+
        splay lowurgency.wav
      }
    }
    This code activates when anyone posts an mturk link in chat. The first bit stops any US only HITs from showing, while the second sounds a special alert when Manzician posts (good to use if there is a poster who shares the same qualifications as you). The third part alerts you on everything else in a special window (mturklinkalert), since they're not bot alerts. You have to change the username, wav names, and "US" if you want to exclude some other qualification, such as Masters.
    It's all good.

Is chat still available? I don't see anyone in any of the chat servers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mpkernop View Post
    Is chat still available? I don't see anyone in any of the chat servers.
    Yup, lots of us there
    It's all good.