We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Turk Workers Are Not Anonymous (That Includes YOU!) Please Read

Thanks
    Thanked 7,347 Times in 2,377 Posts

Exclamation Mechanical Turk Workers Are Not Anonymous (That Includes YOU!) Please Read

This is an excerpt from an article posted online yesterday:

Just search the web for your worker ID, and you may find a surprising number of results:

wish lists
    book reviews
    tagged Amazon products

In fact, many workers even have a public Amazon profile page containing their real name and sometimes even a photo, at http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/workerID.
    http://crowdresearch.org/blog/?p=517...ker+News+50%29

If you're already full steam ahead on mTurk, you don't want to change your turking account now. Instead:

- change your publicly shown name on Amazon to not be your real name ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profil...ef=cm_pdp_edit )
    - also remove your location, photo, etc. and set all items you don't want shared to Private
    - delete any reviews on products you don't want people to know you bought
    - ditto for tags
    - Google your worker ID to see what can be found

Once you're comfortable with what is being shared, you can feel private again
    It's all good.

2. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Super Sized Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,396 Times in 1,503 Posts

Yea this is not a new thing. Amazon profile has always used your worker ID. My amazon public profile has had bullshit information in it since I started writing reviews in 2005

4. The Following User Says Thank You to taintturk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Phew, glad I'm too lazy to make a wish list or review any products!

Thanks for the alert! Crap, I had started using my real name in my Amazon account AND it has my kids wishlist and my product reviews. More info than I intended to share.

oh, and nice the RSS feed

Thanks for alerting us! I googled my number and only 3 hits came up (under the anonymous name I use there):
    1. an old link to the shipping terms for some books I recently offered for sale there (since Jan. I haven't had anything up for sale).
    2. photos I took and uploaded for some of those books.
    3. one review (which 1 out of 2 people found it useful)...Am now considering removing that review just for that reason (if I can). However, my writing is good (so might leave it up as an example of my writing).

UPDATE: I did remove the review and all of the photos. Now only the shipping terms show anything; however, from there anyone could email me (but cannot see my email address).
    Last edited by Cander; 03-07-2013 at 04:31 PM.

Thanks for the heads up!
    I'm gonna check on mine and make sure nothing embarrassing or personal is there.
    I'm might update my wishlist with some cool tech, just in case a requester wants to send an awesome bonus my way!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kodebunny For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 297 Posts

When I google my ID this is the only thing that came up. The ID of any worker who had taken the survey
    http://socialresearchpreviouspartici...re-taking.html.
    It doesn't have any other information.
    I just wanted to pass it along in case someone else wanted to take a look.

Thanks

I checked mine too, but nothing came up. Going to go check all my account setting now too. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks

Thanks Spammy, I changed my name, but isn't google forever?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,347 Times in 2,377 Posts

No, Google will update in a month or so to your new name. I actually tested this a few months ago by changing the name on my Amazon account and searching for a specific review I had done. It took a month for the name to change on Google.

Journalists are on the prowl for people to speak to about this - please read Beware Journalists, Turkers! before you agree to any interviews.
    It's all good.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast