We typically are NOT getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. We need your help! Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avocado

Avocado

Any one ever started an avocado successfully using toothpicks and a glass of water. I've had one suspended at the top of the water for about a month. It just finally split at the bottom the other day. Was just wondering if anyone has done this and had any time frames for how long it might take to grow roots now that it split. Thanks.

Thanks

Yes! I even have a plant growing in my garage right now (it's terribly unhappy there, but it's too cold outside for it, and the cats would eat it inside). I do this all the time with my pits; some sprout right away, some take a month before they start growing, and some never sprout at all. I only toss them early if they turn mushy or shrivel up, otherwise I just wait. Have fun with it

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonny For This Useful Post:

So do you put it in a pot when it splits? Or keep it in the water?

Thanks

I didn't plant until there was about an inch or two of both root and shoot; I just kept them in water until then.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonny For This Useful Post:

Awesome I'll update if I make it to having a plant in a pot.

Thanks

I"m pretty sure that if you ever want the tree to fruit then you would have to have a second tree for pollination.
    But, if you just want a neat tree then it's pretty fun

9. The Following User Says Thank You to leftfoot27 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've never thought to do this with an avocado pit. Thanks for the idea.

So far my favorite plant I started in water was from a sweet potato. The plant was actually really pretty and so many people would comment on it, plus I got tons of sweet potatoes from it!

Quote Originally Posted by leftfoot27 View Post
    I"m pretty sure that if you ever want the tree to fruit then you would have to have a second tree for pollination.
    But, if you just want a neat tree then it's pretty fun
    You're correct, there are a few methods to doing this but most people who do this are doing it because its just plain cool haha

I hate avocados but I'd buy one just to do this, though my cats would probably just chew it up and end up getting sick. =\

Thanks

I love avocado! I think a forest of them would be awesome to have...lol. Unfortunately I have problems keeping green stuff alive around me.

Actually, an avocado grown from seed may never fruit, or it may only fruit after ten years or so. Even then, you won't get the same fruit you bought. Same with mangos. If you don't live in zone 10 or above, forget planting either of them in the ground. They'll freeze.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast