We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasure Dinners for One

Thanks

What a yummy thread.

When the cat is away, this little mouse nibbles on linguine in clam sauce. If I have had some time to prepare, perhaps a slice of coconut cream pie.

When It is just me I love to eat sandwiches! Grilled cheese and ham with chips and juice. I try to set aside things to make for singular meals even though i live with 4 others. I don't cook very often these days, but when i do cook it is usually for everyone. So when i do cook for myself unless i am gonna be alone alone I like it simple.

grilled Cheese is one of my foodie fetishes. So many things you can do with Grilled Cheese.
    One must choose in life between boredom and suffering.-Madame De Stael

Thanks

I'm single and turned into a "peasant foodie" a few years back -- I make healthy-er food that tastes great but not much fuss, too tired to work that hard. A lot of soup because it's easy, not much measuring, very forgiving and endless ability to create and use leftovers. The only real time is at the beginning, heating the oil and cooking whatever base vegetables you'll use (usually onions, carrots, celery) -- you can get these pre-cut in many stores. I have loads of recipes with cheats to improve nutrition if anyone wants them. Lost weight on this and didn't miss the extra calories at all. Also make great omelettes. I studied the food shows and figured out ways to make meals seem really cool without the work or expense of the shows. Since I eat alone, I had to do something to not get depressed and not eat mac and cheese straight out of the box....I did it. You want more info, just ask.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rainporch View Post
    I'm single and turned into a "peasant foodie" a few years back -- I make healthy-er food that tastes great but not much fuss, too tired to work that hard. A lot of soup because it's easy, not much measuring, very forgiving and endless ability to create and use leftovers. The only real time is at the beginning, heating the oil and cooking whatever base vegetables you'll use (usually onions, carrots, celery) -- you can get these pre-cut in many stores. I have loads of recipes with cheats to improve nutrition if anyone wants them. Lost weight on this and didn't miss the extra calories at all. Also make great omelettes. I studied the food shows and figured out ways to make meals seem really cool without the work or expense of the shows. Since I eat alone, I had to do something to not get depressed and not eat mac and cheese straight out of the box....I did it. You want more info, just ask.
    Sounds like you've mastered the art of cooking for one. I, too, strive for healthy, simple food preparation. Right now I'm in a "rut" of avocados, tomatoes, spinach, quinoa and sprouted grain bread. I'd LOVE some simple soup recipes to add to my menu choices (since you're willing to share...). It's much too time-consuming to search the internet.
    Have you recycled today?

Thanks
    Thanked 37,579 Times in 10,683 Posts

Hey Hitforbrains---soup is easy and very forgiving.
    1. Go to store: Buy neck bones or whatever is on sale. Does not matter. Divide into two packages. Freeze one package.
    2. Go to fresh vegetable aisle. Buy BOGO mixed veg.
    If no BOGO, go to frozen veg aisle, buy BOGO.
    3. If fresh tomatoes are expensive, go to canned food aisle. Buy diced low salt tomato can.
    4. Buy can of kidney beans or black beans---whatever is on sale.
    5. Boil the hell out of the neck bones---skim fat frequently. You only have to watch it about 15 minutes.
    6. Put in vegetables. Turn heat to simmer.
    7.Add some pasta (does not matter what)
    IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT YOU USE.

---------- Post added at 04:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 PM ----------

Add-- it is very important you do not used canned beef or chicken stock. Just go to fresh meat aisle--buy whatever is cheap--boil hell out of it and skim fat and crap off the top. --you have best stock in world.l

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carolyn For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks, carolyn! It sounds nutritious and delicious -- and EASY.
    Have you recycled today?

My guilty food pleasure for one is instant Raman noodle soup. I like the kind that comes in the big cardboard bowl. It's not very healthy, so I don't want my kids to get used to it. When I cook Raman noodle soup for them, I make it myself so it's lower in fat and sodium. It's not hard to make homemade, but when I get a chance, I sneak in a bowl of instant when no one is looking. Spicy Kim-chi on top and on the side ...mmmm....

Thanks

Hi HIT -- Carolyn's got a great approach! Here's one way I do "creamed" soups that cuts way down on the fat but keeps the yum level high. Use white beans or potatoes in your stock along with the vegetables you're using for the soup (asparagus, celery, etc.) Once everything's very soft, use a stick blender (cheap to buy, much, much easier than a regular blender) to puree them to smoothness - they thicken the soup without flour and the taste's bland enough to not compete with your main ingredient if you get the ratio right. I experiment with that... At the end, add your dairy (or dairy substitute if you're vegetarian) at any fat level you want -- half and half to 2% works well. You can season it any way that fits. I recommend the Food Lover's Companion for ideas for seasoning. I also make a kickass mushroom soup -- carmelize onions with a few shallots in butter and/or olive oil; add lots of mushrooms (mix any kind you like), and add a few tbsp of flour; cook and stir until it's thickened. Then add stock, a bit of garlic, thyme and a bay leaf, bring to a gentle boil and simmer for a while; remove the bay leaf and do the blender thing till it's velvety. Add your dairy...wonderful. Of course, I've forgotten the amounts, so you'll have to play with those. I cook like my Gramma, by instinct; she never used measurements. You can also do a terrific tomato-red pepper soup in a similar way, and depending on the thickness, make a sauce for fish or pasta. I just throw in whatever amounts I have on hand. It's especially great this time of year, because of the farm markets! Good luck -- and if you have disasters -- well, you're just learning to be a peasant, and they didn't get it right the first time, either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rainporch For This Useful Post:

I am hardly ever alone but my husband and kids hate mushrooms but I love them so if by chance he isn't around for a meal, like lunch time, I will make a mushroom grilled cheese....so good!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bdashiell View Post
    I am hardly ever alone but my husband and kids hate mushrooms but I love them so if by chance he isn't around for a meal, like lunch time, I will make a mushroom grilled cheese....so good!
    Mushroom grilled cheese does sound so good. I love mushrooms and so does my daughter so, we never seem to make enough to go around our house!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast