We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Complete HITs Without Getting a Rejection (well, for the most part)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 2,129 Posts

How to Complete HITs Without Getting a Rejection (well, for the most part)

This is the place for everyone to post tips on how NOT to get a rejection. Obviously, some asshole requesters will give rejections on matter what, but these should be tips to avoid COMMON SENSE MISTAKES that are happening daily on mTurk. PLEASE NO DISCUSSION HERE, just post your tips so it's a good reference. You can discuss these tips here.

---------- Post added at 12:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

When something is in quotes, that does NOT mean you are to write it in quotes. For example:

If you can't find this information, please write in "N/A". If the link doesn't work, please write in "Invalid Link"
    You DO NOT TYPE "N/A", you type n/a. Or invalid link.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 PM ----------

READ THE RULES! Do NOT read them once, read them every time you go back to that type of HITs. RULES CHANGE and the requester won't always bring attention to it.

---------- Post added at 12:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Read and memorize EVERY SINGLE OPTION before selecting one. Do this for at least the first 10-20 HITs until you get a grasp of all the options. If it's a drop-down menu, you should recheck it every 30 minutes or so to be sure you remember every single option that is possible.

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Don't tab through options too quickly! I've seen many blank answers because people are obviously hitting the tab button too quickly. Recheck your work, blank answers are rejected!

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Did I mention read the rules? ALSO LOOK AT THE EXAMPLES! There is a HIT that asks if the locations are the same, and the last example says that if the two locations are a large building, like a stadium, and have different addresses but the same city, mark them as the same as they could possibly have multiple addresses. Time and time again people are marking them different, and that is wrong and could cost you.

---------- Post added at 12:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

If you're not sure you're right, return the HIT. It's better to raise your return percentage, which no one uses to qualify HITs, than to raise your rejection percentage!
    It's all good.

2. The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Here's one:

Be careful about the "Enter" key. If you are not in a field and you hit the Enter key, your HIT may be submitted with blank spaces and be incomplete, resulting in a rejection.

4. The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to mcturker For This Useful Post:

Thanks

NEVER do HITs in a language you don't know! It's not as easy as you think as they tend to have local words or slang that you don't understand, leading you to answer technically correctly but not actually correctly.

---------- Post added at 01:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:44 PM ----------

If your English isn't good enough, don't do writing HITs. If it's not your first language then I definitely would recommend steering clear of rewrites, translation, transcription, or content creation.
    It's all good.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

Here's one: Don't get mad at a crappy requestor, finish and submit their hit with a pissy note.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to rosewater For This Useful Post:

Thanks

NEVER submit a HIT with fake or crap work when the requester is a scammer or you leave yourself open to a block.

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

If you can't complete a HIT correctly, RETURN IT.
    It's all good.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to spamgirl For This Useful Post:

if you find a scammer and report it can they get back at you some way?

Thanks

I don't know if others have this problem with their laptops or not...I use a usb mouse. Sometimes my mouse will jump around the screen randomly and click or delete on it's own. Make sure when you're typing it's not anywhere near the submit button. I've had it automatically send HITS I was in the middle of working on.

13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ItsJustMe For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ItsJustMe View Post
    I don't know if others have this problem with their laptops or not...I use a usb mouse. Sometimes my mouse will jump around the screen randomly and click or delete on it's own. Make sure when you're typing it's not anywhere near the submit button. I've had it automatically send HITS I was in the middle of working on.
    I know this is off topic for this forum, but you might go to the manufacturer's website and see if there is an updated driver for it. Be sure it's clean, too.

Robert
    ----------------------------
    -Robert

Ever wonder what the speed of lightning would be if it didn't zigzag?

Thanks

I have learned to return a hit as soon as I realize the directions don't make sense. At first I thought I was dense, but I've now done enough hits with clear instructions to understand that some requesters are simply not clear. So I don't take a chance on getting a reject!

16. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Paulette For This Useful Post:

Always see if you can "complete" the hit via preview screen (if the requester provides the rules, actual work there). There's some requesters that require you to do more than one page or a very long list of items. Never, ever automatically click on the "Accept Hit" button before knowing what you're doing.

There are many requesters that ask to search for information with an external link. Using new internet windows are your best friend in mTurk.

18. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to snowkai246 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast