We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The truth about penny HITs

Good that you would be a moderator.

Why would you do a penny HIT at all?

You might want to do some to get your count up,
    but nearly all of the HITs, other than a tiny franction
    of the writing chores, are essentially uncompensated.

What is worse is that the official FAQ says that the tiny
    pennies actually work out, because you can do them
    quickly. It only appears tiny because they're giving you
    time for interruption.

The reality is that it takes time to read the instructions,
    which are often very complicated. The chores are basically
    a WOT.

I like to do them because I can bang them out in about 45 seconds and I really need to get my count up.

Perhaps I'm missing something. The hits that pay more seem to have correspondingly more complexity, and take correspondingly more time. So a 50-cent hit that takes 20 minutes is no improvement in hourly wage over a quick penny hit. Maybe there are folks here (in fact I'm sure there are) who can knock out a 600-word article in 15 or 20 minutes, making an almost decent wage. I'm not one of them. The surveys pay more but most of them take forever.

So what types of hits pay more but don't end up costing more in time spent? I'd rather do them too.

That said, I like the cheap easy hits to fill moments that are otherwise non-productive. Sitting on hold with insurance companies. Waiting for clients who are running a bit late. Listening to someone long-winded on the phone. Etc. Some of them are as fun as games and I "play" them in a little recreational down-time. I have a client who knows where to look under the bushes at a certain university to find the change students drop when they are partying. Sometimes when I sit down to do turking, I think of it as "finding" change to put in a jar, without having to reach behind sofa cushions, go out in the cold, or risk the flu checking coin returns at the laundromat.

But seriously, I'd rather do higher-paying tasks and I agree that continuing to do the low-pay hits does not support the legion of turk workers. I just need to figure out which higher-paying tasks actually translate to a better pay per hour.

Smiles,
    Laurie

Thanks

My Take on Penny Hits - FWIW

Here is my perception on this truly important issue - though it's not wholly original to me.
    Before I start I'd like to say that freelancing - which is what we do - is not war. There aren't any trenches, rank structure, or anything else in place to prevent you from completing any HIT for which you are qualified. For some, this is income (either full-time, part-time or a fluctuation of both) for others its "play" money. I'm not judging anyone, b/c anyone outside of the US can't "cash" out and must treat it as play money in a way. Enough.

Penny HITS are a joke. Though, we've done this to ourselves, sadly. By accepting them, completing them, and returning them "worked" we have told requesters that our work product is worthless. We don't value ourselves, so neither should they. "What's that? You want a 500 word article on the spinning habits of the purple legged monk tree spider in 15 minutes, with full source citations, that will fully pass Copyscape for $0.12? Bending over now."

Harsh? Yes. True? Yes.

As a whole, we as turkers have trained requesters that wherever electricity and internet services are available, we'll work for nearly nothing. Take the math from frb who began this thread. It boils down to $4.37 per hour, on average. Now start subtracting your business overhead; electricity, internet, business machine (computer), banking fees to receive your money (as applicable) etc. NOW how much do you make?

It is our responsibility as Turkers to RE-train requesters that we WILL NO LONGER work in our own personal sweat shops. Our research, data entry skills, transcription, writing, opinions, etc are worth a living wage. Can't / won't pay us what we need? Go elsewhere to get the work done. We articulate ourselves not by messaging and communicating on the various requester threads. We speak loudest to them by ignoring their ridiculous 15-50 entries per .02 HITS. Eventually they'll come in here (the Forum) and ask what's up. THEN we tell them - professionally - that for pocket change they need to change the format or keep the format and up the pay. Then sit back and wait.

Have I ever worked a "penny" HIT? Yes. For some of the reasons already stated. I'm very selective with mine - I won't work for less than .05. Not all nickel HITS are the same. The ones I choose, from a requester who will remain anonymous due to Forum Rules, I am able to zip through while maintaining quality and adhering to my personal work ethic. I make money with these. They aren't rejected, and are approved and paid quickly.

I've done enough preaching for the day, and if anything I've said has come across as ugly, it wasn't intended in that way. Everyone who knows me in the "real" world knows that I'm direct, clear, and not know for sugar-coating anything. My students used to tell my I "kept it real." Feel free to respond here or via PM with any rebuttal. I have a stack of big girl panties handy just in case I need to deal with things.
    I have diarrhea of the keyboard.

5. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to CharSines67 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Thanks

lol! Maybe we should all go on "strike" on the .01 HITS. I certainly avoid them and so far nothing under $.25 do I search for. Maybe I'll look at some nickel ones jsut to see what they are. But 20 of them to make a buck? Is that worth my time? I'd have to do what 120 in an hour to make $6. 30 seconds each, huh! Will I screw up trying to do them that fast?
    "Off to work I go..."

Thanks

As a newbie, I can't believe how much I'm learning just by reading these threads.

Thanks

Thanks that's why I love this forum, because I can found always good info for improve my turking

Thanks

This is an important thread and should be included in the welcome email. I have been turking for only three days and felt like I'd sold myself short initially. Now I know that I'm going to have to do a lot more research to maximize my results.

Thank you SpamGirl for the insight and others for weighing in as well!

Thanks

The Forum kept me from doing many penny HITs.The lowest I've done were .02 my first week turking. The lowest paying HIT I now accept is .05, but only because they're quick and that requester also pays a bonus. I'm leaning towards the higher paying HITs now, because i prefer to do 7 HITs and make 3.70 rather than 26 HITs and make 3.50.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainbowscape For This Useful Post:

I've been reading TONS of posts here on different forums. I would love if someone would share how to build yourself up to making 10-20$$ / hour doing this? I've done something like 3400 hits, some 1 cents, some 2 cents and I'm proud of myself when I make a buck off a survey!
    I love doing data entry, so to be truthful I could do business card name/addresses for 8 hours and it wouldn't bother me. BUT, after I see how much I would make in that 8 hours, it's kind of depressing.

Is the magic number of HIT 5000? Or am I just accepting the wrong hits? I think I'm still too new to understand all of this completely. I know yesterday I saw a post where a turker was working and making 300-500$$/week. After my initial WoW, I had to sit back and try and figure out how one does that?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast