We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The truth about penny HITs

Closed Account
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    We all know I like math so I decided to do some.

The long and short of it: The maximum the majority of people can ever hope to make with a penny HIT per hour is $4.37. This value assumes a HIT per minute value of 7.5 with a CAPTCHA every 35 HITs which lowers the HIT potential per hour from 450 to 437.14. and assumes a few things:

• Page loading times — When you load a HIT, you need to load two resources: the HIT inside the frame (which comes from literally anywhere on the web, but for requesters who use the GUI from mturkcontent.com) and mTurk itself. Most of mTurk should be cached, but the timer and HIT details are not, which requires a page request. I put 3 seconds into page loading time. This is based on the average US internet speed (6.7Mbps), a data transfer tool which I calculated a guesstimate of 2MB, JavaScript run times (set up the timer, set up within the HIT, depending on your processor or browser these will be slower and quicker) and server response time. Obviously this can never be done perfectly, but I think 3 seconds is more than fair for the majority of internet connections.
    • Complexity of HIT — The HIT is very simple and can be done in one click, and that click submits the HIT. I figured 5 seconds for the time of HIT, giving us our HITs per minute value of 450.
    • The Masters difference — Next I thought about the Masters qualification, and since every non-Master worker needs to do a CAPTCHA every 35 HITs, this means they need to do roughly 13 CAPTCHA's per hour, giving us our 437 maximum potential.
    • You work a full hour — this is the ridiculous one, but this is another assumption of mine. Can you really work a full hour doing penny HITs? It's possible, but after that, can you work two? Therefore the hourly paradigm actually doesn't make sense, as you'll overwork yourself and potentially miss other work that doesn't pay slave wages.

This is my speed test, which is 94% faster than the rest of the US, which makes me able to do penny HITs in five seconds, and yet I still reject all penny HITs as that's $7.20/hr, not even minimum wage.

My conclusion is, for even the most basic tasks, your minimum should always be 2¢/HIT.
    I wish more people would sit down and do the math! I hate it when I see people doing all these ridiculous HITs for ridiculous pay! It seems to encourage requesters to low ball things because they feel they can.

I can't say that I make $20.oo per hour as Spamgirl, but I've only been Turking for about 4 months. I can say I refuse to work for less than $6.oo an hour and shoot for $10.oo.

anytime I am doing a hit I check the times and try to do the math, esp low paying hits. I always like to know what my hourly rate is and when I see its crazy low it motivates me to find something better. I do find sometimes that I spend more time looking than doing so I will sometimes take lower paying hits if there is nothing else because since i just passed the 2500 mark i am still trying to find decent hits to work on.

Thanks for working out the numbers. I don't think I've touched a penny HIT since my first week of turking due to the low overall pay rate -- it's just not worth it.

Thanks

Thanks all, great advice. I'm new to turkin and had decided to only do HITS $.50 and above. Which I did for the first 20 days. Then I got a rejection and did some penny ones to up my total approved HITS. NOw I'm back to picking only better paying ones.
    "Off to work I go..."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Sdawson For This Useful Post:

Thanks

What makes them even worse is when you start thinking about just how much of that penny is tax. It hurts less when you're thinking in terms of .50$ or more.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lonny For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I'm interested in the better money too. Sure the 2 cent hits push you ahead but after awhile, that doesn't cut it anymore. Why settle for less when you can do better?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mizwiz For This Useful Post:

I never saw penny hits as worth it and they also couldn't hold my attention long enough for me to actually do them for them to be worth anything.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LostCrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Would really like to see some more feed on this topic. I am very new, and floating somewhere between the desperation of Wanting To Make It To The Golden Thousand HITs (proving yourself in the trenches, per se) and the altruistic beckoning of Making It Better For Everyone In The Future (damn the torpedoes).
    There is science, logic, reason; there is thought verified by experience. And then there is California.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to starla For This Useful Post:

This is exactly why I don't do the penny hits. My upload and download speeds are both pretty low. I think I'd be lucky to make $2 an hour if I did pennies.

Thanks

When I first started I used to do them. I guess you could say back then I didn't know any better. Every once in a while I do them when I get a rejection. It helps me keep up the much-needed padding. Normally I do things that are 10 cents and above.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JOHNRESA For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast