We need help getting enough donations to pay the monthly server bill. Click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All answers about returning HITs are here

I've yet to see anything preventing me from accepting a HIT based on return rate, and mine kind of blows away everyone else's I've seen here...

HITs Accepted 733 —
    ... Submitted 398 54.3%
    ... Returned 320 43.7%
    ... Abandoned 15 2.0%

The abandons annoy me, since I lost power for a few hours once and couldn't complete/return those, but if I see a HIT I'm interested in I accept it then look it over, otherwise I'm going to miss it. This is largely due to the fact that I focus almost exclusively on transcription hits though, which are higher paying than most things on this site, so they also appear in smaller quantities and are near the top of peoples' lists when sorting by payment amount. It would certainly be quite terrible for me though if people did suddenly start caring.

My return rate is 21 % Don't remember why that is, it must have been from early on in my turking career.

So far, not a problem. I wish I could get that number down quicker though, I don't like that number.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 477 Posts

Funny, connection game just posted in their thread that Amazon might count the return rate against us. They were not sure though.

I've never heard about that before.

Thanks

My return rate is 1.7% (1163) and my abandon rate is 0.7% (573).

90% of my returns and probably 100% of my abandons are due to the way Dolores handles things when they cut you off from a HIT. Most of the time, you do not get the message that you can't do any more of them until after you have accepted the HIT. Then your only choice is to either return it, or just let it expire and therefore it's abandoned.

It took me about a month of turking to figure out where the abandoned numbers were coming from. I started seeing them on my dashboard, but had no clue when I had abandoned a HIT. When I got the "thank you" message, I just went looking for other things to work on, not realizing that the HIT was still assigned to me (even though they wouldn't let me do it). Now I just kind of alternate when this happens. Sometimes I return it, and other times I just abandon it.

I've yet to see a HIT that had your return rate used as a qualification, and so far the only one I've seen using the abandon rate is Jon Leger on one of his writing HITs, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky32 View Post
    I've yet to see a HIT that had your return rate used as a qualification, and so far the only one I've seen using the abandon rate is Jon Leger on one of his writing HITs, I think.
    Yeah, you can't even take the qualification test hit for Jon Leger if your abandon rate is more than one percent, I believe. I'm at 3.2%, unfortunately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,818 Times in 835 Posts

I had not done many at first and I got into some that I didn't feel experienced enough to do yet, and some expired while I was working on them--so, yeah, I had a 50% return rate at first (not to mention "abandoned" ones). That didn't look so good to me on my dashboard but I couldn't help what had already happened.
    Now, that I have done more hits, though, the %age of returns has also gone down--but I'm still glad to hear it probably won't cause me too much problems. Thanks, everybody, for your input.

Good to know

As a new Turker (five days now) I've been a little paranoid about returning hits. I'm glad to know that those stats aren't counted for much. Would you all agree then that it is better to return a hit than to try to do one that doesn't really have clear directions and that seems likely to be rejected if you do it? I've had several that give you directions, but the directions don't cover the specific situation that actually exists in the hit.

Thanks

Yes. Especially when you are new. It's not worth it to risk rejects that will damage your acceptance rate.

I hate returning, but I agree that its much better than risking a reject. Glad I read this thread.

Question

I wrote to Amazon once about my high return/abandonment rate and this is what they replied:

The statistics recorded on your Dashboard regarding the number of HITs you have returned, or that have expired before you completed them, are provided only for your own information. These statistics are not provided to Requesters. Having some abandoned and returned HITs is normal and will not negatively affect your reputation on Mechanical Turk.
    So if this information isn't provided to requesters, how are they using it to qualify turkers for their HITs? :???:

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast