We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potato's In A Trash can?!

Potato's In A Trash can?!

Alright, So Ive been wanting to try and grow potatoes in a barrel for some time now. After thinking it all through I ended up running out of warm weather. so.. i want to try and grow them in barrels in my basement.. but i need light! And so I came to the conclusion of making a vented like barrel that has either solar lights or leds I can control attached to the top of the lid. Does this even sound worth attempting? I mean.. I could just grow them in the bonus room or dining room (since no one ever goes in either). Both rooms have substantial amount of light. Its just kinda weird having a huge barrel of dirt sitting in front of the window. Any-who.. Does this sound worth trying?

Thanks

I have only grew potatoes outside but a huge barrel of dirt in front of the window is no weirder than chicks being in the corner of the living room, oh how I wish I had a bonus room! Maybe a few of us living in the Ozarks are a little weird. It could be worse, we could not know it is kind of weird!

I know that you can grow potatoes in a barrel or trash can but I'm not sure about indoors. There has to be some information out there about it though.

Closed Account
    Thanks

When I was a kid, I did the science experiment where you stick toothpicks in a potato over a container of water. It got roots and a nice vine, filled a sunny bathroom window. When it got warm enough I planted it outside in the dirt, and got a bunch of little potatoes later that year.

Not sure if that would give you enough potatoes that you're looking for, but it would be prettier inside ;-)

Well looks like this will be added to my winter to-do list along with the indoor aquaponics set up I've been dreaming up! Though I think the potato barrel will be the priority of the two. Ill try and post some info on indoor aquaponics once I get a little more time if anyone is interested.

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Well I grew up in NC Arkansas and I can assure you the people up here in MO dont compare. Spend a month in Eureka lol. Those people are free spirits Cool but very very far out.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to eats For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by eats View Post
    Alright, So Ive been wanting to try and grow potatoes in a barrel for some time now. After thinking it all through I ended up running out of warm weather. so.. i want to try and grow them in barrels in my basement.. but i need light! And so I came to the conclusion of making a vented like barrel that has either solar lights or leds I can control attached to the top of the lid. Does this even sound worth attempting? I mean.. I could just grow them in the bonus room or dining room (since no one ever goes in either). Both rooms have substantial amount of light. Its just kinda weird having a huge barrel of dirt sitting in front of the window. Any-who.. Does this sound worth trying?
    a good led system is insanely expensive at the moment.

I know there was a woman who grew potatoes in a trash can, layered in straw only (no soil) in her basement in Alaska.. I was a kid, I've been wanting to try this indoors myself but haven't had a chance yet.. plus it rarely gets below 20 here so I'd be better off putting quilts on them when it's cold, but I'm interested to hear if this works for you and what you try. Search old Mother Earth News issues in the library or on CD if you have it, they SHOULD have an article about this.

I work at an electronic store so i was going to put my soldering and electronic wit together and try and build some kind of set up. I've seen certain frowned upon plants grown in a coke can using just one led so I hope with a little extra care and a range of different colors used should help?? eh we will see ill start this project next week ^_^

Thanks

A friend of mine grew them in a bag of dirt. Just bought soil from the store emptied out one bag doing stuff and planted them in the bottom of that one. As they grew he kept adding soil. It was an epic fail though. He blamed it on Monsanto. I believe him. #$&% GMO (genetically modified organisms)

Quote Originally Posted by Van Schwank View Post
    A friend of mine grew them in a bag of dirt. Just bought soil from the store emptied out one bag doing stuff and planted them in the bottom of that one. As they grew he kept adding soil. It was an epic fail though. He blamed it on Monsanto. I believe him. #$&% GMO (genetically modified organisms)
    You have to buy seed potatoes. Most potatoes sold in the store are treated with bud nip so they won't grow. Sometimes they'll sell seed potatoes in the grocery store for eating but they are marked as seed potatoes. That or get organic ones from an organic grocer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast