Click Here
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Follow AudioKite on Turk Alert | Check out AudioKite's HITs on mTurk

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: It seems like Mturk is no longer creating new Mturk worker accounts.

It seems like Mturk is no longer creating new Mturk worker accounts.

From reports on other sites, it seems like Amazon is no longer creating new Mturk worker accounts. There is no official reason stated just that nobody since July 19, 2012 has yet to receive the verification email to allow them to start working on Mturk.

For those that have completed their Mturk registration, don’t panic, you are not alone. Do not try another registration for Mturk only allows one Mturk account for each worker and signing up for more than one will likely get them all denied.

Possible reasons for this? All I can offer is pure speculation. Mturk’s work base might have gotten so large that they can no longer effectively manage it. Possibly, they might be planning to clean house and by closing registrations prevents the newly suspended workers from returning. Lastly, they might be in the process of creating a new registration system that requires more proof of who you are.

So far, nothing official from Amazon about this has been reported by anybody. So nobody has any idea how long Mturk will not be accepting new workers.
    What new technology does is create new opportunities to do a job that customers want done.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Project 2501 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of Thanks

Wow, pretty crazy news. If they are cleaning house, I hope they will consider banning some of the spammy rejecters too.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jennkturker For This Useful Post:

Good news.

Yes my opinion also, whatever is going on will likely benefit us as current workers. And here is hoping to a better way to restrict the spammer's from coming back next day.... such as banning registrations from proxy servers.

I'm willing to bet this has something to do with the new CAPTCHA system. It seems like they've decided they need to beef up security and have suspended registration while they roll out the updates.

I don't want to sound gloomy and doomy...but the thought crossed my mind that maybe they're planning to close mturk altogether? Honestly, I don't even know why Amazon hosts mturk in the first place. It's so off base from their main E-commerce site.

Hopefully this is just cleaning house though. Major sure will be pleased.

Edit: oh nevermind, he already posted.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Squarix1 - Closed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Squarix1 View Post
    I don't want to sound gloomy and doomy...but the thought crossed my mind that maybe they're planning to close mturk altogether? Honestly, I don't even know why Amazon hosts mturk in the first place. It's so off base from their main E-commerce site.
    In some sense, Mturk is a failed product. I don't ever think it caught on the way Amazon thought it might. But it does make sense to keep it around. It fits well with Amazon's web services strategy, and it probably generates enough revenue to pay for itself.

Of course, if issues with fraud are getting out of control, who knows what they may decide to do.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to penn For This Useful Post:

It is a strange product, in terms of Amazon's primary business. But I'm with penn... it probably pays for itself because of the commission they charge requesters. I don't know that it's a failure though. It's definitely used by a number of people to get work done.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Seqsea For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Squarix1 View Post
    That was my first thought also.

Amazon has an internal need for mturk, although they don't seem to have the volume of search relevance hits that they used to have. Amazon Web Services provides everything you need to operate mturk, so they don't really have a problem sustaining it's cost. No way for me to know what the bottom line is on mturk, but it's probably not that significant a gain or loss. If they lose money they just write it off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Diablery For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast