We need your help to make sure Turker Nation stays online. Please click the thermometer to learn more.
Note: clicking on the above banners and making ANY purchase returns a commission to Turker Nation.
If you can't see the ad, please click on Shop on Amazon instead. | Want to advertise here? PM Spamgirl to learn more!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Aquarium Nuts Here?

Closed Account
    Thanks

Any Aquarium Nuts Here?

Do you love fish as much as I do? How many tanks do you have? What kind of fish do you keep? Do you use live or fake plants? How long have you been in the aquarium hobby?

I have 3 tanks.

77-gallon hexagonal tank:
    In this tank, I breed guppies. They are the only species in this tank. I use a mixture of silk and plastic plants because I don't have good enough lighting for live plants in this tank. I also have two huge pieces of Malaysian driftwood. I use a plain black gravel substrate.

55-gallon long tank:
    This is my semi-aggressive tank. I have one large angelfish, 7 giant danios, 3 red glass barbs (going to build this school up to 7 as well), 1 sail-fin pleco, 1 large black skirt tetra (the last of them, finally!), and 1 khuli loach (I need to get a few more, but my lfs doesn't ever carry them anymore). In this tank, I use plastic plants as well as three large pieces of Mopani driftwood. I hope to transition the plants over to silk or live, depending on how my finances go over the next year. I use black Eco-complete as the substrate for this tank.

5-gallon tank:
    I currently have two juvenile guppies in this tank, but I'm going to move them to my big guppy tank soon. I plan on raising crystal red shrimp in this tank. In my 5, I have ALL live plants! Finally I have a tank with decent lighting! I use black moon sand in this tank.

I've been into the aquarium hobby for at least fifteen years. I have MTS (multiple tank syndrome), and it is only the fact that I have no money that keeps me from getting more. My goal is to have my first saltwater tank within the next two years. Good thing I have Mturk!

p.s. If you want to see my tanks, I post videos about them on my Youtube channel, MissOddi.

I look forward to hearing about your fish!

Thanks

Ive always loved fish but never had a fish tank more then a standard sized one when i was a young child. I have been watching that tanked show on tv quite a bit lately and have fallen in love with some of the amazing tanks and the gorgeous fish they put in them. Good luck getting your salt water tank and I'm gonna have to drop by your YT and look at them :P.

Closed Account
    Thanks

Please do! I just finished posting an update about my 77.

Tanked is one of my favorite shows! It makes me want to win the lotto so I can have one of their huge builds in my home. If the show does inspire you to set up a new tank, feel free to ask away. I love aquariums, and I'm always looking for new video topics.

Can you tell by my username? lol I have one community tank going and five male bettas housed alone.

Closed Account
    Thanks

We have three freshwater tanks, about 30 gallons each. Fake plants. African cichlids in one (down to 4 fish in there). The other has a parrot fish of some sort and an ugly albino catfish sort of thing. Ok I'm not big on specifics or details.

One of our tanks got wiped out back in April. Six cichlids had to take a ride in a matter of 72 hours. We still don't know what happened to them. Between the two of us we have over 20 years experience with african cichlids and we're scratching our heads. Unfortunately, the tank with 4 fish may have an extreme bully. We don't have the cash for buying more fish to make them less territorial. Very weird, but that's the way it works. One guy's getting too big for his britches and is beating the crap out of the other 3.

I used to have a 150 gallon saltwater tank. Watch freecycle and craigslist for setups! I've seen them there before and it's a great way to get started. I loved the tank. The fish are ExPeNsIvE (o.O) and finicky. If you have one saltwater tank you'll need a second. Think of it as a lil halfway/hospital tank.

Thanks

Addicted Fishaholic here, but currently in semi-recovery

It all started with some common goldfish that I had in a whiskey barrel fountain one summer, who then needed a home in the winter. That turned into 25 tanks, in sizes from the lowly 10 gallon on up to 125's. I pared down the 25 to 12 when we moved into our house, but then added a 2000-gallon pond.

I am now down to five indoor tanks - 18-gallon hex for some dwarf puffers, 30-gallon for bristlenose plecos of every variety, 72-gallon bow-front for a huge fantail goldie, Black Moor, a couple of the bristlenose plecos and five or six Dojo Loaches, a 125 for African Mbuna cichlids and a 30-gallon for an Oranda goldie. I have a thing for the fancy varieties of goldfish, but it is heart-breaking to lose them so I am trying to stick to my vow not to acquire any more. The pond will be the summer home for the goldies once my water chemistry looks good.

I keep live plants in all but the cichlid tank. I pot them in dirt or sand and use gravel and smooth river rock to keep the plants rooted and dirt/sand in place and stop rambunctious goldies from uprooting them. I am also thankful to always have had well-water and no water bill to contend with throughout my years in this hobby. Weekly water changes would have required Donald Trump's income to pay a city water bill The only tanks with substrate of any type are the cichlid and the pleco tanks - I use a mix of fine gravel and pool filter sand (it sinks fast and doesn't cloud the water). Otherwise I have bare bottoms for the goldies to help keep things clean and the fish safe (goldies will attempt to eat anything and everything).

I would love a saltwater tank and have heard from several saltwater people that once the tank is set up, it is actually easier to deal with than a freshwater tank, especially to go from messy goldfish to saltwater. It just seems like such a big outlay of cash to start compared to a freshwater tank.

We always had aquariums growing up. When I was in junior high, my grandmother's boss passed away. She had worked for him for twenty years and his sons gave us the 100gal aquarium that had been in his waiting room for nearly a decade. It stayed in my bedroom and it was so soothing and therapeutic. We had neon tetras, mostly, because they didn't bully each other and they were hearty. My son just turned ten and I got him two goldfish. They are small fellas, in a 10gal tank. It's all that will fit in his room.

I'm concerned, though, because the water got cloudy all of a sudden and one of the fish looks like he may have symptoms of the goldfish ick. I need to see about getting some drops and I plan on doing a 25% water change today. I don't remember having so many problems with our bigger tank, although my mom was the one who cleaned it anyway. Hopefully my son's little goldies will be okay. I love aquariums, but I've never had one in my adult years so this is uncharted territory for me.

Thanks

Hi. I love our fish tank! I started a 29 gal freshwater for my daughter in April '12. It's addicting. Have 7 rummy nose tetras, 6 neon tetras, 1 bala shark, 1 plec, and 2 guppies. Mostly fake plants, but have 2 real ones; an anubius (sp?) and a floating moss ball (which has mostly been eaten away by the shark). Wanting to put up another tank, but no room in my house. I haven't had ANY fish go belly up on me so far, so I must be doing something right. However, I did have one guppy run away... really. I could not find it anywhere!

Thanks

I'm a fish nerd! 8 tanks here (many are nano sized). All planted. I'm breeding dario dario, an endangered mexican goodied species, and peacock gudgeons. I also keep two species of freshwater shrimp. I used to have a reef and keep large S. American cichlids - now I'm onto tiny fish, tons of plants, and raising live foods.

I'm a fish nerd, too! I have 17 tanks right now. Major multiple tank syndrome going on here. I just bought a used 75 but have no idea where to put it. I mostly have native fish right now. I go out and catch most of them myself. I live in Ohio and we have a lot of different species that make great aquarium fish. I've done mostly the smaller non-game fish, but lately have gotten a few of the bigger fish. I'll make a list that you can skip if it is too long.

2 1/2 gallon: 1 female betta
    2 1/2 gallon: several small native killifish and a juvenile darter
    2 1/2 gallon: a colony of least killifish (native to southeast United States, and aren't really killifish, they are livebearers)
    5 gallon: some juvenile Apalachee Shiners
    5 gallon: a baby Warmouth Sunfish
    10 gallon: Endler's livebearers and Marmorkrebs crayfish
    10 gallon: a madtom catfish
    10 gallon: 2 madtom catfishes
    10 gallon: Mangrove Killifish and more Endler's livebearers (brackish)
    20 gallon: juvenile Orangespotted Sunfish and Tadpole madtom catfishes
    20 gallon: Sleeper and Knight gobies (brackish)
    29 gallon: a pair of ancistrus (bristlenose plecos) and a bazillion babies, plus 4 Florida Flagfish
    29 gallon: a brown bullhead and a green sunfish
    29 gallon: 3 goldfish: a shubunkin, a comet and a common; plus a garra
    30 gallon: small stream tank, it has a big powerhead to create current like a river would have. It has some dace, shiners and darters in it.
    65 gallon: a huge yellow bullhead
    100 gallon: my big stream tank, it has three big powerheads and slightly larger fish like shiners, chubs and bantam sunfish. The orangespotted sunfish will go in here when they grow up.

tl;dr I have way too many fish!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to schambers For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast