PDA

View Full Version : How do I add an avatar?

spamgirl
09-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Once you posted a few times you'll have access to add an avatar! Here is the process:

Click on User CP in the beige menu at the top left and then click Change Avatar (http://turkernation.com/profile.php?do=editavatar).

Click the circle next to Use Custom Avatar and then enter the link to the graphic hosted elsewhere - here is a list of sites (http://www.techieblogger.com/2009/09/free-image-hosting-and-photo-sharing-sites.html) you can use.

Click Save Changes.

BarbL
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM
I have been trying to add a custom avatar and for whatever reason, I just can't get it to work. I have a small enough photo, have uploaded it to several different hosting sites thinking maybe that was the issue, but still am going nowhere in this endeavor. I managed to add one of the pre-made avatars, but continually get an "Invalid file" error message when trying to link to my custom photo.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

rjohns01
10-03-2011, 06:52 PM
BarbL: I went to change avatar and something looks different. I thought I just clicked upload and went to my pictures and selected the photo from my folder. Now it looks like you can go to a website where you have photos hosted and select from there.

So I'm not sure what's going on ... I'm sure others will chime in.

BarbL
10-03-2011, 07:15 PM
I wish I could upload from my own computer, but it doesn't appear to be an option. I have now set up at least five accounts on different hosting sites and the forum doesn't seem to like any of them.

Oh well, I guess it is a sign to get back to turking!

zerdafennecus
10-03-2011, 11:47 PM
Did you try uploading it directly to this site. I re-sized the photo then just added it off my computer to here.

BarbL
10-04-2011, 12:26 AM
I am not seeing that option available...only an address bar to put in a link to the photo offsite. Am I missing something?

rjohns01
10-04-2011, 12:52 AM
I am not seeing that option available...only an address bar to put in a link to the photo offsite. Am I missing something?

Barb I don't think you're missing anything at all -- I think something has changed. I see that for a custom avatar it's asking for an actual URL. Previously I was able to upload from my documents > my pictures > folder. Maybe there is something wrong or something has changed. Try uploading from Photobucket.

BarbL
10-04-2011, 07:05 AM
IT FINALLY WORKED!!!

Thanks for the Photobucket suggestion! It was the one place I hadn't tried for here yet because I had some major issues with the place back in my old eBay days, but it seems to have changed quite a bit!

turk10
10-04-2011, 07:10 AM
IT FINALLY WORKED!!!

Thanks for the Photobucket suggestion! It was the one place I hadn't tried for here yet because I had some major issues with the place back in my old eBay days, but it seems to have changed quite a bit!

Great avatar, what a cutie :)

taintturk
10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
Yea, something changed, because when I changed mine, I had it sized and ready to upload and the upload avatar was gone.

cute doggy barb

turk10
10-04-2011, 07:37 AM
Yea, something changed, because when I changed mine, I had it sized and ready to upload and the upload avatar was gone.

cute doggy barb

Your avatar looks like it would eat her avatar...

taintturk
10-04-2011, 07:58 AM
lol just looking, not threatening

BarbL
10-04-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks everyone! My avatar is my dog, Fred, a Yorkshire Terrier. I keep his hair trimmed because no way could I get Fred to wear the little bows and barrettes necessary for the typical Yorkie 'do. He does, however, have a pretty extensive wardrobe including a Packers shirt for game days and tiny doggie socks for the cold days up here. Fred also has a booster seat for the car so he can see out the window when we hit the highways.

Yes, I am one of those crazy dog owners.

Be thankful I have not yet investigated if posting photos on this forum is possible, otherwise I could have a virtual Fred Fest of pics :biggrin:

taintturk
10-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone! My avatar is my dog, Fred, a Yorkshire Terrier. I keep his hair trimmed because no way could I get Fred to wear the little bows and barrettes necessary for the typical Yorkie 'do. He does, however, have a pretty extensive wardrobe including a Packers shirt for game days and tiny doggie socks for the cold days up here. Fred also has a booster seat for the car so he can see out the window when we hit the highways.

Yes, I am one of those crazy dog owners.

Be thankful I have not yet investigated if posting photos on this forum is possible, otherwise I could have a virtual Fred Fest of pics :biggrin:

You can, you just have to upload them to photobucket or something like that. I was going to start a doggy thread in the off topic part of the forum, but found some work to do this am.

This is me and my doggy :D
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/8149/28420810150254591584308.jpg

Stlrfn - closed
10-04-2011, 08:39 AM
Awww both cute little doggies! Ankle biters if you will :lol: jk I love dogs of all sizes! :yes:

BarbL
10-04-2011, 08:41 AM
Awwwwww...what a cutie!

And since you are busy, and I am still waiting for my magic HITs to appear, I'll start the thread for us fur-loving folk!

rjohns01
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
IT FINALLY WORKED!!!

You're welcome -- I'm glad it worked out. BTW ... you have a very cute doggie!

BarbL
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
You're welcome -- I'm glad it worked out. BTW ... you have a very cute doggie!

And thank you, again!! Now I have advanced to putting full-fledged photos up!!

You may have created a monster :dog:

jonathanleger
10-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Hi guys,

So I feel like I must either be blind or stupid. I read the instructions on how to setup a custom avatar here, but for the life of me I can't find ANYTHING that says "Custom Avatar" with a circle next to it in my User CP. I've gone to Change Avatar, and there's a big list of pre-defined ones, but no way that I can see to upload or fetch a custom one.

Can somebody please enlighten me and tell me where to go to setup my custom avatar before I lose my mind?

Thanks! :D

Jon

turk10
10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Should see custom...right under current:

Change Avatar
Your Current Avatar
No Avatar Specified Avatars are small graphics that are displayed under your username whenever you post.

Do not use an avatar
Note: if you have a custom avatar selecting this option will delete it.
.Custom Avatar
Use Custom Avatar .Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website:

jonathanleger
10-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Ah, I don't have that option on mine. Maybe I have to be a member longer or something.

turk10
10-05-2011, 05:08 PM
Ah, I don't have that option on mine. Maybe I have to be a member longer or something.

Nope, newer people with fewer posts do it. Maybe need to check with Spamgirl.

BunnyFlavored
10-05-2011, 05:17 PM
One of the links to the avatar page doesn't work for me, but a 2nd one does. I keep it bookmarked, otherwise I fumble around each time trying to figure it out.

Don't know if it will help you, but this link shows the custom option for me: http://turkernation.com/profile.php?do=editavatar

turk10
10-05-2011, 05:25 PM
I think it just has not been set up for requesters:

"In some cases the administrator will not allow avatars or only allow them for specific members. The administrator can also provide some stock avatars people can use, or they can allow members to upload their own custom avatars from their own computers."

blue
10-05-2011, 05:26 PM
Maybe requester accounts can't? I've never seen a requester account with an avatar.

turk10
10-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Maybe requester accounts can't? I've never seen a requester account with an avatar.

Yup, and I was kinda curious.

jonathanleger
10-05-2011, 05:44 PM
I guess we're supposed to be cold and impersonal. :bossy:

rj1965 - banned
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Well mister uncold when will I get my next fix

spamgirl
10-06-2011, 08:44 AM
We pay for storage space, and we pay for bandwidth. If you upload your avatar we're storing it and serving it every time someone looks at one of your posts. Therefore we removed the option to upload, you must store it somewhere else.

spamgirl
11-12-2011, 01:06 AM
Just saw this now - you do have the ability to link to an avatar, I checked :) You just have to find one hosted on another website.

BonnZaiiTree
02-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi all,
First of all I'm new, so don't beat me up too bad for this question. I did search the forum first for answer, but had no luck.

How do you upload a custom avatar/profile pic?

Do I not have the ability yet since I'm new?

Thanks!

dalturker
02-09-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi all,
First of all I'm new, so don't beat me up too bad for this question. I did search the forum first for answer, but had no luck.

How do you upload a custom avatar/profile pic?

Do I not have the ability yet since I'm new?

Thanks!
1. Go to user CP
2. Change Avatar
3. Custom Avatar
4. Click on "Use Custom Avatar"
5. Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website in the box.
Go look anywhere on websites that have the type of images that you like and copy/paste the URL image in the box to the right.
6. Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 39.5 KB
7. Click on save changes. Dont forget to check the image size. (Right cick the image, click properties and you can find the size/dimensions.
Hope this helps.

bromeliad
02-09-2012, 02:05 PM
We pay for storage space, and we pay for bandwidth. If you upload your avatar we're storing it and serving it every time someone looks at one of your posts. Therefore we removed the option to upload, you must store it somewhere else.

Go look anywhere on websites that have the type of images that you like and copy/paste the URL image in the box to the right.

Of course, another website might not be too keen on you using up their bandwidth either. Copy, modify or make your own avatar, but store it on a free image hosting site like photobucket instead.

shellybean
02-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Adding an avatar is on my "to-do" list, but I was wondering why no one here has an actual pic of themselves? I can't remember even seeing a single pic of a member here. I realize not everyone would want to do that but since I have not even seen one, I thought maybe there was a reason? Is it against the rules and I just don't remember?

Mac
02-09-2012, 10:24 PM
Adding an avatar is on my "to-do" list, but I was wondering why no one here has an actual pic of themselves? I can't remember even seeing a single pic of a member here. I realize not everyone would want to do that but since I have not even seen one, I thought maybe there was a reason? Is it against the rules and I just don't remember?

Hah I just used a picture of General MacArthur because I like him... (and he's a "Mac"), but maybe I will use my own picture after all. Hope I don't get an infraction ;)

bestway
02-10-2012, 05:46 PM
This thread makes me laugh about myself. I didn't even know what an avatar was (now I do). Yesterday, I was sent an offer to renew a magazine subscription. If I did, they would include a Tablet Edition. I don't even have a Tablet. Apparently, I'm starting to fall behind.

shellybean
02-13-2012, 01:56 PM
Hey hey! I see a couple of real life pics starting to appear. I love to see what people really look like. I guess it feels more like a community that way. Just my 2 cents. I'm gonna go find a pic to use - or at least an avatar until I can load up a real pic to one of the sites.

taintturk
02-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I just added mine cus Stlrfn added hers lol

Peer pressure man, i cant deal with it.

BonnZaiiTree
02-13-2012, 08:06 PM
I found another post that showed me how to upload so no need now thanks!

Mindylane
02-13-2012, 08:24 PM
MINDICORN yayyyyy

Zniper
04-19-2012, 12:50 PM
I know it's not a big deal and most likely it doesn't deserve a thread, but I didn't have any other place to ask, so here it is.

I can't upload a custom avatar; I can only choose from pre-defined images, or not have an avatar at all. Am I missing something, or this is an advantage that comes after I get access to the other sections?

Thanks in advance! :D

spamgirl
04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
I know it's not a big deal and most likely it doesn't deserve a thread, but I didn't have any other place to ask, so here it is.

I can't upload a custom avatar; I can only choose from pre-defined images, or not have an avatar at all. Am I missing something, or this is an advantage that comes after I get access to the other sections?

Fixed, sorry about that.

sonotcool - closed
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I have been wondering this as well, so thank you for asking.

maroonedspaz
04-27-2012, 02:26 AM

Im having this problem as well, i think its much easier to have the option to choose to upload an avatar then to host it on another sit.

Goatus
04-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I hope imugr doesn't go down in a few years.

JamesBJames - closed
04-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Even if imgur goes down, something will rise up and take its place. It's happened to other image hosting websites in the past.

MommyBree
05-22-2012, 02:58 PM
I was wondering how to add an avatar! Thank you! :D

Lone_Wolf
05-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Me too - never could find the place in the profile to do it. Thanks for this helpful thread!

dalturker
05-22-2012, 05:00 PM
I was wondering how to add an avatar! Thank you! :D A copy/paste from my post on page 3 of this thread with a few updates.
1. Go to user CP
2. Change Avatar
3. Custom Avatar
4. Click on "Use Custom Avatar"
Note: Search images on the internet to find what you want to use and copy/paste the URL image in the box to the right.
I had tons of images to pick from when I searched the internet for the type of images I was looking for.
6. Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 100 by 100 pixels or 39.5 KB
7. Click on save changes. Dont forget to check the image size. (Right cick the image, click properties and you can find the size/dimensions)
Hope this helps.

Lone_Wolf
05-22-2012, 09:13 PM
Be careful where you pull your image from - some websites don't like people "stealing" their bandwidth. If you don't find it on a site known for image hosting, you'd probably be better served to save the image to your desktop and re-upload it to a traditional image hosting site and using that for the URL.

dalturker
05-23-2012, 08:04 AM
Be careful where you pull your image from - some websites don't like people "stealing" their bandwidth. If you don't find it on a site known for image hosting, you'd probably be better served to save the image to your desktop and re-upload it to a traditional image hosting site and using that for the URL. Good advice. So far I have not had any problems with using images from the Internet. It would be helpful if the TN site allowed us to download from our own images for the avatar. It is a hassle going through image hosting sites.

MackW
08-13-2012, 05:46 PM
If you use the Tapatalk App on your phone to read the forum, it is very easy to make a custom avatar. You can upload one straight to the forum from your photo album on your phone and bypass image hosting sites. Go to "My Profile" and it will give you the option to change your avatar and you can select from your photo album.

lretta
03-13-2013, 06:52 PM
I can't wait till I can get one of my cats up as a avatar. I don't have a face, but my cats do.