PDA

View Full Version : I can't access the whole forum/the place you moved by post to, why?

Pages : [1] 2 3

erod429
08-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Okay, I am very confused here, I am hoping someone can help me. It appears that I have been verified as a member, but I did not get an email and I do not see the threads from the other forum, such as the Cool Surveys, etc. Does anyone have any advice?

From Spamgirl - Answers to questions Newbies ask here often:
1. No, you cannot see the entire board yet. You have to post more and be here for a while it opens up fully.
2. No, we can't tell you how many posts or how long you have to wait.
3. Please read this thread (http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?1212-Guide-for-new-members-of-Turker-Nation-and-those-thinking-of-signing-up) and the thread you're in now from the beginning to learn more.
4. If you want to post but don't see the correct forum where your post should go, please read this (http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?4505-If-I-don-t-have-access-to-the-right-forum-where-do-I-post-instead) before posting.
5. A quick way to gain full access is by participating in the Daily HIT Threads! (http://turkernation.com/forumdisplay.php?157-Great-HITs-Daily-Threads)
6. Please do not feel pressured to post! You are welcome here even if you don't post, and there is no rush to get full access. Most of the forum is freely available, so enjoy your time here and if you do get full access, enjoy that too. :)

deviousdesigner
08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I'm having the exact same issue, plus my profile will NOT allow me to upload an avatar. I have yet to receive the activation e-mail, but it let me log-in anyway.

erod429
08-15-2011, 03:07 PM
I'm having the exact same issue, plus my profile will NOT allow me to upload an avatar. I have yet to receive the activation e-mail, but it let me log-in anyway.

Thanks for sharing, it's good to know it is not just me.

librarian50
08-15-2011, 03:08 PM
I hope you have something good! It has been soooo slow today.

erod429
08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
When I try to click on it, this is the message I get--

erod429, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Maybe my account has not been fully activated?

librarian50
08-15-2011, 03:12 PM
Yes, spamgirl is moving as fast as she can :eek:

If you keep posting, that should help you progress as well.

erod429
08-15-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes, spamgirl is moving as fast as she can :eek:

If you keep posting, that should help you progress as well.

I understand how busy she must be, I just wanted to make sure it was nothing on my end!! Thanks for your help librarian!!

pennyjar
08-15-2011, 03:28 PM
I, too, am patiently waiting to see what I am missing.

erod429
08-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Everything is working for me fine now! Thanks Spamgirl!!

ItsMyTurk
08-15-2011, 04:08 PM
Everything is working for me fine now! Thanks Spamgirl!!
I am still getting the message you mentioned earlier in this thread. You say everything is working fine for you now. DOes that mean that now when you click on that thread link up above you no longer get the error message and you are taken to the thread itself? If so, there is something still not working on my end. :( I'm wondering if there is a whole area of the forum that is still hidden from me.

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
One more time - it's taking me a very long time for a variety of reasons to update all the accounts. It's a tsunami of new users and TWO of us are working on it right now (Thanks, Catnapped!) PLEASE bear with us - this process is extra complicated as the server is acting up on the back end too.

erod429
08-15-2011, 04:18 PM
I am still getting the message you mentioned earlier in this thread. You say everything is working fine for you now. DOes that mean that now when you click on that thread link up above you no longer get the error message and you are taken to the thread itself? If so, there is something still not working on my end. :( I am missing being able to post about Midwest HITs today, because I can't see any are to discuss them. I'm wondering if there is a whole area of the forum that is still hidden from me.

Yes, I no longer get the message. I think Spamgirl has so many accounts to approve. Don't worry, she will get to yours!!! :)

ItsMyTurk
08-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Yes, I no longer get the message. I think Spamgirl has so many accounts to approve. Don't worry, she will get to yours!!! :)
Yep, I just PM'd her and she has already activated my account. That was speedy! Thanks, erod429 and Spamgirl! :)

erod429
08-15-2011, 04:51 PM
Yep, I just PM'd her and she has already activated my account. That was speedy! Thanks, erod429 and Spamgirl! :)

Glad to hear it, your welcome :)

HITforbrains
08-15-2011, 05:17 PM
This is a test to see if I'm hooked up properly.

Note: I, too, never received a confirmation email after signing up for the new forum, but I was able to sign in anyway...

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 06:45 PM
Did you sign up with a gmail account? They blocked all our emails. We're setting people up manually now.

cubbykatz
08-15-2011, 07:18 PM

erod429, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2. If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

I'm still getting that message and never got the activation email I was registered on the old board under the same name. Should I PM you directly, SpamGirl? I just don't want to PM you directly uninvited as I'm sure you're getting a boatload of PMs and I just found the new board now.

Thanks

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 07:23 PM
I'm still getting that message and never got the activation email I was registered on the old board under the same name. Should I PM you directly, SpamGirl? I just don't want to PM you directly uninvited as I'm sure you're getting a boatload of PMs and I just found the new board now.

Thanks

I've actually cleared out my PMs so PMing is fine, but I set you up already :)

cubbykatz
08-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Wow! Thanks that was quick!! :D
I've actually cleared out my PMs so PMing is fine, but I set you up already :)

pennyjar
08-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Thank you, Spamgirl.
My board is complete.

:)

deviousdesigner
08-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks to spamgirl for hookin' me up, everything seems to work for me now. :D

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 08:28 PM
Thanks to spamgirl for hookin' me up, everything seems to work for me now. :D

Woot! Great news :)

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Thank you, Spamgirl.
My board is complete.

:)

If only it included Boardwalk! :(

zerdafennecus
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM
Did you sign up with a gmail account? They blocked all our emails. We're setting people up manually now.

Hmm I signed up with Gmail and I got the activation email.

milliways
08-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Still having issues viewing the requestors boardroom

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Hmm I signed up with Gmail and I got the activation email.

That's odd, I had a returned email specifically from your email address.

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Still having issues viewing the requestors boardroom

That's because you only have one post. You don't have enough posts to access it yet.

zerdafennecus
08-15-2011, 10:20 PM
That's odd, I had a returned email specifically from your email address.

Now that is odd. I got it right away and verified by the link. Then PMed you after.

sparky32
08-15-2011, 10:34 PM
Now that is odd. I got it right away and verified by the link. Then PMed you after.

I use Gmail too, and got the activation email almost immediately last night.

spamgirl
08-15-2011, 11:17 PM
I use Gmail too, and got the activation email almost immediately last night.

That's 'cuz we were blocked at 8:10am today :) It looks like we might just have hit our 500 emails a day limit... we'll have to see what happens in future.

Shay
08-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the quick activation spamgirl- I'm sure you must be absolutely bombarded with requests, so it's super appreciated!

buhi
08-16-2011, 01:21 AM
Yeah, thanks spamgirl! I was doubting for a minute whether you were a real person--you must be fielding so much right now! How many posts to unlock the secret stages of the forum?

jmrdflcarpenter
08-19-2011, 11:38 AM

I get Invalid Forum specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

AWArulz
08-19-2011, 11:41 AM
You did Private Message Spamgirl and you used to post on the proboards board? If you did, she will fix your access soon. If not, continue to post here and in the introductions forum, and you will soon be promoted.

There was a question about "how many posts" - frankly, we're not telling.

jmrdflcarpenter
08-19-2011, 11:43 AM
You did Private Message Spamgirl and you used to post on the proboards board? If you did, she will fix your access soon. If not, continue to post here and in the introductions forum, and you will soon be promoted.

I was a member of the other forum, I may have posted twice, but I looked at some threads like the cool survey thread, etc. to help me out on MTurk. I did message her yesterday and she answered it and said my account was updated. So not sure what is going on.

epikureannn
08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
^I think most likely it has to do with your post count. There's a minimum required to get access to the rest of the threads. Just keep posting and you'l get there soon. =)

jmrdflcarpenter
08-19-2011, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Spamgirl just sent me a message and informed of that *LoL*

bittershortcake
08-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Cool Surveys is re-starting over here:
http://turkernation.com/forumdisplay.php?50-Links-to-Cool-Surveys

I hope you have something good! It has been soooo slow today.

I still cannot access this link. I get the "Invalid Forum specified..." message.

I received a message from Spamgirl a few days ago saying my account was activated, but I have a feeling I'm not seeing all the forums here.

librarian50
08-23-2011, 07:47 PM
You still need to keep posting and participating to get full access. It helps to say hello in the Turker Introduction thread! You'll be there in no time!

bittershortcake
08-23-2011, 09:12 PM
You still need to keep posting and participating to get full access. It helps to say hello in the Turker Introduction thread! You'll be there in no time!

What? I have to level up... like in... Farmville? I'm more of a lurker than a talker. I had access to more stuff on the old forum.

librarian50
08-23-2011, 09:19 PM
This is not Farmville, you can make :moneypiles: Turking with the help of all our friends here. It's worth it, IMHO.

bittershortcake
08-23-2011, 09:35 PM
This is not Farmville, you can make :moneypiles: Turking with the help of all our friends here. It's worth it, IMHO.

Yes I realize I can make money turking. I've already done over 12,000 hits. The old forum was very helpful, but I'm heartbroken that I don't have the same access here on this new forum.

How many posts do I have to make?

spamgirl
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
We don't want to post how many publicly because then people will just post to that point and abuse the info they get access to. Check your PMs, bitter.

bittershortcake
08-23-2011, 10:12 PM
Thanks Spamgirl. I appreciate your hard work and help!

scorch319
08-24-2011, 02:47 PM
I have the same problem...I'm a lurker. But I really want to read the rest of the forum, so post I shall.

AWArulz
08-24-2011, 09:12 PM
It won't take that long, Scorch319 - it's just to prove that you don't want to just mine the forum and not contribute.

Be seeing you around.

xambo
08-24-2011, 10:07 PM
Well, I guess that explains why I can't see anything useful here. I don't know how practical that is, though, considering that I'm going to end up posting when I don't really have anything meaningful to post just to get access to the whole reason I'm on this board in the first place. Seems like it's kind of defeating the purpose, but I don't know what kind of issues you may have to deal with.

scorch319
08-24-2011, 11:11 PM
Well, I guess it's to dissuade scammers, not people who just want to read the forums and get better at turking. But yeah I don't have much to say either, so I'm just trying to post a few here and there.

xambo
08-25-2011, 02:56 AM
I mean, I'm only here to find out what work is safe to do and keep up with the requesters I feel most comfortable with. I guess I'm not getting what scammers could do by being able to access requester threads?

jmrdflcarpenter
08-25-2011, 09:05 AM
It won't take that long, Scorch319 - it's just to prove that you don't want to just mine the forum and not contribute.

Be seeing you around.

People are going to do that anyways. They will post until they reach that part of the forum and than they stop posting and become a lurker again. But I guess whatever works *LoL*

A lot of times though there is nothing to contribute as someone else has already said it

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

I mean, I'm only here to find out what work is safe to do and keep up with the requesters I feel most comfortable with. I guess I'm not getting what scammers could do by being able to access requester threads?

I guess people were getting access to it on the other forum and from what I understood they stole the info and somehow made money off of it .... ???

zan
08-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Hi! Old Turker but new to the new "home" and from what I understand, I will not have or be able to see other parts of the Forum until I have posted a certain number of notes? Unless I have a previously unanswered question or think I'm contributing something specifically helpful to others I usually just "lurk," but I would like access to CastingWords, Midwest ( I know they've recently changed names), etc. Are these topics here and I just can't see them yet?

scorch319
08-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Yeah, I don't know what the specific number is though.

zan
08-25-2011, 02:38 PM
Thanks so much for your response...I guess this will count as another note! :biggrin:

scorch319
08-25-2011, 02:45 PM
Yep! I been saying hello to all the introductions. Even though I have nothing to say, I can still be friendly. :)

xambo
08-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I just feel guilty because I'm essentially spamming to get to a number I don't even know. Seriously, I'm posting in threads I don't have any interest in just because I need to get to a certain number. I don't like that.

JoAnnP
08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I'm doing the same thing. But, this is also a good way to sort of get to know fellow turkers.

scorch319
08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I feel the same way. But oh well. I understand why they did it this way, and since they are the ones doing all the work on this forum, I won't really complain about it. It's just a little frustrating.

VJC2
08-25-2011, 05:33 PM
So thats why the forum looks so empty? Wow.. whats next are you going to add captcha before every post too? It just begs for spam..

spamgirl
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
So thats why the forum looks so empty? Wow.. whats next are you going to add captcha before every post too? It just begs for spam..

You're contradicting yourself - first you're pissed we moderate a new user's posts, then you mention spam which is the REASON we moderate a new user's posts. Make up your mind. :)

trarms
08-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Ah, this explains a lot! I haven't been able to check things out here thanks to school starting up, but I was confused because I remembered reading something about getting the same access and posting privileges over here as back at the old board, and I'm missing the Requesters Boardroom (in more than one sense ; ) ). Well, good to know it's not just me. Thanks, guys.

mommyof4
08-26-2011, 07:56 AM
I still do not have privileges either :( I am not very talkative but hoping to get my post count up so I can see everything.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Go you get full privileges automatically when you hit the post amount or is it something that had to be added manually?

milliways
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I think it is automatic.

spamgirl
08-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Access will no longer be given the instant you hit the minimum - you also have to have been a member for a certain amount of time. This will stop spammers/scammers from posting x times in a single day and then getting access.

If you were a member on the old forum and wish to have access sooner, just shoot me a PM and I'll change you over manually. I really only want the system to apply to new members, but there's no option for that.

madhi19
09-01-2011, 10:45 AM
So spamgirl did you create an Askville chat somewhere?

spamgirl
09-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Nope. Don't y'all have IM? :)

madhi19
09-03-2011, 11:25 PM
lolll I mean a thread. Chat what was I thinking?

spamgirl
09-03-2011, 11:28 PM
lolll I mean a thread. Chat what was I thinking?

You didn't PM me to move your post count over here so you can't see it :p

madhi19
09-03-2011, 11:37 PM
You didn't PM me to move your post count over here so you can't see it :p To be totally frank I just did not care but thanks. loll

moniquitta
09-04-2011, 01:27 PM
There used to be a section for surveys. Is that gone now?

sparky32
09-04-2011, 03:38 PM
http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?63-The-Cool-Surveys-Thread-in-New-TN

I hope I posted the link correctly. It's under Everyone Else.

The survey chat thread is under Off Topic

RedHeadedStepWild - banned
09-04-2011, 05:29 PM
There was a whole survey sub-forum when this place opened but it got nixed after just one day :(

The way it was set up had it to where every survey was supposed to get it's own thread. I know there was myself and a few others that hated that and I guess rather than change it again to something else we might hate the easy thing to do was just change it back to the middle version...things were a lil hectic then + Spammy was royally peeved @ me @ the time so I can't imagine she wanted to listen to any ideas I had :lol:

clark - Closed
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Couldn't there just be a survey section that includes the three different threads scattered here now? I missed the first few days here so I didn't see a survey section and can't imagine how it would run with each survey requester getting a separate thread. Sounds unwieldy but if Piggy Bank, Cool Surveys and Survey Chat were under one roof it would be easier to find everything and help new people understand how it works.

Jazz
09-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Couldn't there just be a survey section that includes the three different threads scattered here now? I missed the first few days here so I didn't see a survey section and can't imagine how it would run with each survey requester getting a separate thread. Sounds unwieldy but if Piggy Bank, Cool Surveys and Survey Chat were under one roof it would be easier to find everything and help new people understand how it works.

I will second that! It would help eliminate the ire felt by many when the Cool Survey Thread starts picking up more general comments that are supposed to go into the survey chat thread. The fact they are spread around the site in different areas makes it less likely people will get their comment to the right place.

Gulfcoaster
09-04-2011, 07:01 PM
I would like to see the thread "Survey Requester's that Block" in the survey section as well. It makes sense for them to be together to me. I vote put them together!:yes:

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

chrisfuccione
09-04-2011, 07:58 PM
Thing I do is on Mturk is I will do a search for "survey" and most of them will pop up.

tonic22
09-05-2011, 12:43 PM
This new forum is so frustrating. I only ever posted in the requester boardroom and now I find that I can't even view it. Does anyone know how many posts you need to make to gain access yet and also how long you have to be a member for?

I mean if it is something like 100 posts and 90 days I might as well give up now as I am not very talkative and I don't want to spam the forum with pointless posts.

rjohns01
09-05-2011, 01:53 PM
This new forum is so frustrating. I only ever posted in the requester boardroom and now I find that I can't even view it. Does anyone know how many posts you need to make to gain access yet and also how long you have to be a member for?

I mean if it is something like 100 posts and 90 days I might as well give up now as I am not very talkative and I don't want to spam the forum with pointless posts.

Hi tonic22:

I'm new to the forum but I just read in this thread that the "magic" number of posts you need to access older threads will not be revealed. If you had prior access (and a low post count) you just have to continue to post.

For more details on "why" can be found in this thread.

Have a great day! :)

-RJ

tonic22
09-06-2011, 07:40 AM
Thanks for your reply rjohns01. I have just read this thread from the beginning and I guess I now understand why this is necessary.

Anyway, somehow I now have access, so a big thank you to whoever is responsible.

reindeerz
09-07-2011, 01:30 PM
I was also wondering where the "most important" parts of the forum were to me. I generally wouldn't post except in the Midwest Internet subforum, so not seeing that forum made me not sign up, and in turn not get access... it was a vicious cycle until I stumbled upon this post.

Jnachod
09-07-2011, 04:52 PM
I wish I could get access to the Everyone Else forum like I had in the old version of this message board :(

spamgirl
09-07-2011, 11:37 PM
I love that absolutely no one pointed me to this thread so, even though you want it SO BAD, I have no idea you do and therefore I couldn't do it. Nice.

http://turkernation.com/forumdisplay.php?60-Survey-Area

moniquitta
09-07-2011, 11:40 PM
I would like to see the thread "Survey Requester's that Block" in the survey section as well. It makes sense for them to be together to me. I vote put them together!:yes:

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 PM ----------

This is exactly the reason why I wanted to know what happened to the survey section.

spamgirl
09-07-2011, 11:48 PM
This is exactly the reason why I wanted to know what happened to the survey section.

There never WAS a survey section to have something happen to.

thegrinder
09-08-2011, 08:19 AM
^^^ SG Thank you:alltens:

taintturk
09-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I love that absolutely no one pointed me to this thread so, even though you want it SO BAD, I have no idea you do and therefore I couldn't do it. Nice.

http://turkernation.com/forumdisplay.php?60-Survey-Area

I want nuts on my ice cream, no sprinkles and chocolate sauce please spammy.

Also, NO FUCKING CHERRYS.

Thankx mucho

09-08-2011, 10:07 AM
There never WAS a survey section to have something happen to.

You messing w/ us? I swear I really start questioning my sanity for real over some of the stuff that happens in here :crazy: Was I in the Twilight Zone or what when this place first opened and there was a survey sub-board for like a day??? I could have sworn I whined about having to make a thread for each survey and then made an almost verbatim post like Clark's and POOF first the sub-board disappeared and the survey idea & chat threads were merged...That seems to be gone now too so maybe I was nutty or something. Please tell me I didn't dream all that and I still have a shred of sanity left :lol:

[EDIT] Thanks for the new digs btw :cheers:

moniquitta
09-08-2011, 10:47 AM
You messing w/ us? I swear I really start questioning my sanity for real over some of the stuff that happens in here :crazy: Was I in the Twilight Zone or what when this place first opened and there was a survey sub-board for like a day??? I could have sworn I whined about having to make a thread for each survey and then made an almost verbatim post like Clark's and POOF first the sub-board disappeared and the survey idea & chat threads were merged...That seems to be gone now too so maybe I was nutty or something. Please tell me I didn't dream all that and I still have a shred of sanity left :lol:

[EDIT] Thanks for the new digs btw :cheers:

You are not the only one then. Because I could swear I saw it on the first day too. I was happy it was there.

dalturker
09-08-2011, 12:00 PM

[EDIT] Thanks for the new digs btw :cheers:You did dream all that, and without question when you are on TN or AMT you are definitely in the Twilight Zone. :crazy:The survey section was never there, or was it???

buttsteak
09-08-2011, 01:40 PM
There haven't been any surveys lately anyway, at least paying more than like 40 cents.

sleepstar - Closed
09-08-2011, 01:52 PM
i'd really rather have it the way it was when the forum just opened, where each survey had its own thread. chat about the survey could then be right in the thread where the survey is instead of buried somewhere in a multipage chat thread. it would be super easy to see that a new survey was posted and at what time. OH WELL :wildwest:

spamgirl
09-08-2011, 02:49 PM
I meant on the old forum. The one that was here for 1 day doesn't even count as it wasn't even really used yet, certainly not enough to get a feel for it.

i'd really rather have it the way it was when the forum just opened, where each survey had its own thread. chat about the survey could then be right in the thread where the survey is instead of buried somewhere in a multipage chat thread. it would be super easy to see that a new survey was posted and at what time. OH WELL :wildwest:

I agree, but we were overruled.

---------- Post added at 02:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6011/5956618688_4fdc23a038.jpg

Sorry, I only have cherries and sprinkles - no ice cream, no chocolate sauce, and definitely no nuts.

taintturk
09-08-2011, 02:58 PM
thats ok theres enugh nutz herez

clark - Closed
09-08-2011, 03:17 PM
@sleepstar - Well, the problem with having a separate thread for each survey is that it defeats the use of the alert. The reason chat and surveys were separated in the first place was so that when the gmail alert went off - DING - you were pretty sure it was a survey, and not chat that may not apply to you. That way you can catch cool surveys - they are all in one place, so you need only set one alert - and do other work. No need to keep checking the board. It is efficient that way, no? You can make more money.

I can't imagine how a separate thread for each survey requester would work.

EDIT- Do you have the gmail alert set up? I can show you.

09-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Well my big gripe w/ a separate thread for each would have been the extra time it would take to post them that way. Then what to do w/ requesters like Yale and Stanford that post multiples and we aren't sure which is what. It would have ended up being hundreds of pages long already in the actual sub-forum and that would've sucked searching for the ones that come back around. It isn't perfect how it is now but @ least now it stays a little bit neat and if peeps want they can create another thread in our own little designated area rather than muck up the everyone else section.

zerdafennecus
09-08-2011, 05:50 PM
It was meant to be each requester have their own topic though since a lot just post one for most it would mean a topic per survey.

You can subscribe to the whole section on this forum I believe.

kathylagare
09-08-2011, 07:53 PM
I remember reading somewhere on the web, "Did you ever imagine that you would spend the majority of your life interacting with a lifeless machine?" This really holds true now that I'm just posting for posting sake so that I can increase my numbers to be able to access all the forums. Jeez Louise. [Post #2]

librarian50
09-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I wish I could get access to the Everyone Else forum like I had in the old version of this message board :(

Don.t see you in the list on the old forum. Did you sign up here with a different name?

spamgirl
09-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Don.t see you in the list on the old forum. Did you sign up here with a different name?

I found her by her email address and updated her account because she didn't complain or whine in her post. Nice people I'm more than willing to help!

librarian50
09-08-2011, 08:40 PM
You are a very nice spamgirl :cleanglasses:

spamgirl
09-08-2011, 10:34 PM
You are a very nice spamgirl :cleanglasses:

On a rare occasion that can be true ;)

Eva - banned
09-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Survey alerts would be best posted in the 'cool surveys' or the 'piggy banks' threads. ANY discussion about a particular survey requester in a new thread would be great as it would help find the information without having to wade through the survey threads as well as the chat thread. If there are doubts, questions or discussion about rejects etc would be best in a new thread IMO.

meman13
09-08-2011, 11:40 PM
I didn't even know Their were area's of the new forum I couldn't access.
I didn't have many posts on my old account so I didn't think to get it transferred .Guess I will have to post more often :P

abc123xyz - closed
09-16-2011, 03:44 AM
it keeps saying I don't have sufficient privileges....what gives?

emerson999
09-16-2011, 04:01 AM
Hope this is the right place to ask, and apologies if that's not the case. On the old forum the Requesters Boardroom area had individual subsections for some of the most well known people such as QuestionSwami or Midwest. Is that the case here as well, and they're only opened up as your get a larger post count?

turk10
09-16-2011, 06:00 AM
it keeps saying I don't have sufficient privileges....what gives?

You need a greater number of posts...then PM Spamgirl and you
will get complete access. Not sure how many posts.

turk10
09-16-2011, 06:51 AM
Yes, that is pretty much the case here.

librarian50
09-16-2011, 06:53 AM
Hi emerson999, welcome to the new TurkerNation! If you PM spamgirl politely, she'll bring your post count over from the old board and you'll be able to see it.

turk10
09-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Hi emerson999, welcome to the new TurkerNation! If you PM spamgirl politely, she'll bring your post count over from the old board and you'll be able to see it.
Ooops, sorry. Was still on the first cup of coffee, didn't occur to me.

prettybutterfly
09-16-2011, 08:13 PM
There is another thread on this topic...

Bat
09-16-2011, 08:29 PM
I've done a word search on Whale and don't find them listed in any other forum. Could you enlighten me where that is? They did respond. We're to check the box if it contains nudity, or check the box if it is not a logo for a specific company listed.

prettybutterfly
09-16-2011, 08:45 PM
I've done a word search on Whale and don't find them listed in any other forum. Could you enlighten me where that is? They did respond. We're to check the box if it contains nudity, or check the box if it is not a logo for a specific company listed.

http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?910-Whale-Shark-Media

zephinlove
09-16-2011, 09:01 PM
It says I don't have sufficient privileges to see that page with my account....

BunnyFlavored
09-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Because your post count is still low, you may not be able to see all areas of the forum yet. :)

If you don't have access to the thread try PMing Spamgirl nicely and ask if you can have access. Typically people need to have a certain amount of posts under their belt to see everything.

Project 2501
09-16-2011, 09:14 PM
It says I don't have sufficient privileges to see that page with my account....

You will need to reach a certain number post of to reach the other sections of the board. You can start by going into the Turker Introduction section

http://turkernation.com/forumdisplay.php?24-Turker-Introductions

and post a thread introducing yourself to everyone on the board. That should you get a few posts in just for tonight. You may find a few others with similar interests in doing the type of hits you like to do and you can share tips.

Cat - banned
09-17-2011, 05:31 PM
It's very difficult being blocked from many threads. I understand the reasoning behind requiring new members to wait and earn admittance. This is basically a sound decision. However, many of us have been loyal, faithful members of the Old Forum for years. Now we find ourselves Newbies all over again!?!?

What about us??

Do we have to prove ourselves again?

Perhaps, we could qualify at a special lower "magic number"???

Loyalty and past behavior should count for something. Especially, since the New Forum seems to be operated by many of the overseers of the Old Forum.

major40
09-17-2011, 05:37 PM
It's very difficult being blocked from many threads. I understand the reasoning behind requiring new members to wait and earn admittance. This is basically a sound decision. However, many of us have been loyal, faithful members of the Old Forum for years. Now we find ourselves Newbies all over again!?!?

What about us??

Do we have to prove ourselves again?

Perhaps, we could qualify at a special lower "magic number"???

Loyalty and past behavior should count for something. Especially, since the New Forum seems to be operated by many of the overseers of the Old Forum.

Uhhhh if you were a member of the old forum and paying attention all you have to do is send Spamgirl a PM and she will update your post count.

melissa71642
09-17-2011, 06:36 PM
If you posted on the old forum, then all you have to do is PM spamgirl to get your post count transferred. However, if you just lurked and never posted, you will still have to get your post count up.

spamgirl
09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
I just want to mention - EVERYONE who registers gets a private message from me telling them everything that's posted in this thread. If they don't bother to read that and instead post here to complain/ask wtf, maybe we should just ban them? :)

Cat - banned
09-17-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks major40

I know that now and mission accomplished.

BunnyFlavored
09-17-2011, 10:05 PM
I just want to mention - EVERYONE who registers gets a private message from me telling them everything that's posted in this thread. If they don't bother to read that and instead post here to complain/ask wtf, maybe we should just ban them? :)

Ha! There should be one of these --> :mturkwub: that says Spamgirl instead.

pbr_chick - closed
09-17-2011, 11:16 PM
I am a general lurker by nature, and I have never come across a forum that required post counts or membership length to gain access to popular parts of the forum. However, I do see the value in it on this forum because we are talking about real jobs and real money here. A small amount of exclusivity simply helps dedicated workers earn more money. As a newbie who would like to turn turking into a full-time job, I have made the commitment to become active in this forum, and I look at it as simply another part of good business. For all the other newbies out there, good luck! Don't think of it so much as spam, and instead try to actively contribute. I know for fellow lurkers it can feel awkward/forced (and it is, at first), but that will all pass with time (I hope)!

blue
09-18-2011, 03:13 AM
Honestly it really doesn't take all that much activity, the people who are fretting need to get over themselves and be willing to contribute a little bit. It seems, shall I say, unsportsmanlike to whine that you're "so so quiet"... when you're getting awesome access to some useful stuff that pays real world money. Why not be a member of the ~community~ just a bit instead of only looking over the wall? :P

librarian50
09-18-2011, 08:26 AM
I am a general lurker by nature, and I have never come across a forum that required post counts or membership length to gain access to popular parts of the forum. However, I do see the value in it on this forum because we are talking about real jobs and real money here. A small amount of exclusivity simply helps dedicated workers earn more money. As a newbie who would like to turn turking into a full-time job, I have made the commitment to become active in this forum, and I look at it as simply another part of good business. For all the other newbies out there, good luck! Don't think of it so much as spam, and instead try to actively contribute. I know for fellow lurkers it can feel awkward/forced (and it is, at first), but that will all pass with time (I hope)!

Well said! :clap:

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

Honestly it really doesn't take all that much activity, the people who are fretting need to get over themselves and be willing to contribute a little bit. It seems, shall I say, unsportsmanlike to whine that you're "so so quiet"... when you're getting awesome access to some useful stuff that pays real world money. Why not be a member of the ~community~ just a bit instead of only looking over the wall? :P

We love people like you in the TN community!:clap:

pbnc
09-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Nicely put

shakti
09-18-2011, 10:04 AM
A few forum posts is REALLY nothing at all. To be honest, we should all be grateful we don't have to pay to post here--which happens on a number of forums.

If people expect information, is it too much to expect that they contribute a few 'hellos' to create at least the illusion that they aren't just trying to take information from everyone else? Really?

REALLY?

Junebug
09-21-2011, 03:21 PM
When I click on the Everyone Else link under the Requesters Hall of Fame/Shame section I get the 'you do not have permission' message. Also, what happened to the individual requester sections that were in the old forum? Are those gone or can I just not see them?? When I look under Requester Boardroom all I see is the Hall of Fame/Shame and the Survey Area. I haven't turked since July and I came back to so many changes! I feel like a newbie trying to figure it all out again :)

spamgirl
09-21-2011, 03:41 PM
Junebug - I'd highly recommend reading your private messages, the link is at the top right of every page here.

Junebug
09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks Spamgirl. I didn't realize there was a message in there! I've spent some time reading this thread and it cleared a lot of questions up for me.

SaraBee
09-22-2011, 07:15 PM
On the old TurkerNation boards, the Requester Boardroom had sub forums for all kind of different HIT providers. I really only do HITs for CastingWords, so I like browsing their board. When is this feature coming to the new forum? The only sub forums in the Requester Boardroom I can see are Surveys and the Hall of Fame/Shame. Are you waiting for HIT providers to sign up with the new forum still or has this area been phased out? I miss chatting with my fellow CastingWords transcribers!

Rosengurtle
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
They are there but you have to have a certain (undisclosed) number of posts before you can see it.

Dedekind
09-22-2011, 07:36 PM
But since you were a poster on the old forum, you can PM spamgirl to get your old post count transferred over and get access either immediately or at least quicker, depending on how many posts you had.

spamgirl
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
1. When you signed up you received a PM from me explaining why you can't see those areas. You should still have it in your Inbox if you didn't delete it without reading it.

2. There is a thread right below yours here titled "I'm new and I can't access the Requesters Boardroom/Everyone Else/etc., why? (http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?890-I-m-new-and-I-can-t-access-the-Requesters-Boardroom-Everyone-Else-etc.-why)" Read that.

3. Also read Guide for new members of Turker Nation and those thinking of signing up (http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?961-Guide-for-new-members-of-Turker-Nation-and-those-thinking-of-signing-up).

SaraBee
09-22-2011, 07:42 PM
I've already transferred over my account I think. I have the same user name and sad post number that I had on the old forum. I'm more of a lurker than a poster. :) But I registered in 2010, so maybe that'll count for something. I'll see if I can figure out the PMs and give it a try. Thanks a ton. I'm at least happy that part of the forum hasn't just gone away. :)

SaraBee
09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I just read through the threads you suggested. It looks like it has something to do with my post count most likely since I already transferred my old account. I don't know how many posts I would need, but I'm not going to comment in threads just to boost it up. I only replied to Casting Words threads occasionally when I felt like I had something to add. Since none of these other areas really apply to me, I think I'm going to remain stuck.

spamgirl
09-22-2011, 08:16 PM
You've already posted 15 times, no point in getting down about it - you'll be there in no time.

SaraBee
09-22-2011, 08:32 PM
Thanks. I suppose I see the point of it since it does force people to come out of their shells. I was looking through the "To the new posters who want to bitch, welcome and..." thread to see if I could add something, but I was pretty shocked at the amount of outrage over there. I'm certainly not that down about it! LOL I'll peek around and look for some interesting threads and shoot you a PM when I hit 30 or so.

taintturk
09-22-2011, 08:41 PM
Thanks. I suppose I see the point of it since it does force people to come out of their shells. I was looking through the "To the new posters who want to bitch, welcome and..." thread to see if I could add something, but I was pretty shocked at the amount of outrage over there. I'm certainly not that down about it! LOL I'll peek around and look for some interesting threads and shoot you a PM when I hit 30 or so.

Thats kinda why that thread was locked.
I did not intend it to be that way, but oh well. Welcome to the forum SaraBee.

SaraBee
09-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Thats kinda why that thread was locked.
I did not intend it to be that way, but oh well. Welcome to the forum SaraBee.

Hey, I recognize you! haha

I was just browsing and I didn't realize that it was blocked until I got to the end of it. Your first post was nice, but such is the hazard of forum posts I suppose. :topsy_turvy:

pennyxdreadful
09-27-2011, 11:22 PM
I got the impression that there were parts of the forum I couldn't view when I first joined. I figured that was because I was a newbie/hadn't posted enough/whatever. Now it seems like I'm being locked out of certain sub-forums. Why is that?

Hugo
09-28-2011, 09:48 AM
I began a thread at Requesters Hall of Fame/Shame and now I find that it has been moved. I clicked on it, expecting to arrive at its new location. Instead, I am denied access.

As I did begin the thread, rather than having it moved to an area to which I have no access, I prefer to have the thread deleted. Or, be granted access. Am I being unreasonable? After all, what's the point of me posting something if I can't read the replies?

This was the error message:

vBulletin Message

Hugo, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:
1.Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
2.If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

taintturk
09-28-2011, 10:00 AM
That is because Channel Intelligence has their own forum in the requesters boardroom and your thread was related to a specific issue, not a general ranking of CI.

You have to reach a certain number of posts before you can access that area.

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 AM ----------

I did not reply to that thread, but every rejection I have received from them has been my own fault.

I understand your frustration with being able to submit a hit with a blank field, and it does suck, but over time, if you choose to continue working for them, you will learn to be extra careful with them.

Hugo
09-28-2011, 10:06 AM
That is because Channel Intelligence has their own forum in the requesters boardroom and your thread was related to a specific issue, not a general ranking of CI...
Actually, I did rank it (as a "?"), and it was because of the specific issue that Channel Intelligence did not consider worthy of a reply. The issue causes unnecessary auto rejections, which I think is a big deal.

It's probably mostly my fault that it got moved, as I made my post too wordy.

spamgirl
09-28-2011, 10:08 AM
I ended up moving it because the CI area was empty and your thread was more discussion than ratings. Feel free to create a new thread in HoF/S about CI, just try to make it only about whether they're good or not :)

P.S. You were sent a PM explaining why you don't have access when you signed up, but if you deleted that without reading it you can find out more here: http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?890-I-m-new-and-I-can-t-access-the-Requesters-Boardroom-Everyone-Else-etc.-why

taintturk
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
^^^ lol what she said

I think if you started it as a discussion on them as a whole, not the specific issue, it would have stayed.

I will agree again that it sucks, but for a requester to require that all fields be completed properly and reject for their rules not being followed does not really make them a bad requester.

I know on the flash ad hits, if you do not have a button clicked, it will not let you submit. But if you have the "ad is not working" button clicked, you have to fill in the blank field as to what the issue is.

I know it probably can be done, but it might be beyond their coding capabilities to say if x is clicked, then field must not be blank. ?

spamgirl
09-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Today we caught a spammer before his post even made it to public viewing on the forum. The system works!

spamgirl
09-28-2011, 12:28 PM
Research Questions will not submit unless they have a summary and content and they're both text. It's extremely easy javascripting to do. Laziness stands in the way of perfection. :)

mcdrng
09-28-2011, 12:41 PM
Today we caught a spammer before his post even made it to public viewing on the forum. The system works!

:cabbagepatch: That's fantastic! It's nice not to see spam on a board it can easily ruin it for everyone.

spamgirl
09-28-2011, 01:12 PM
What's worse is it wasn't even ad spam, it was a scam trying to take people's Paypal accounts... we see enough of that on mTurk already :(

mcdrng
09-28-2011, 01:42 PM
What's worse is it wasn't even ad spam, it was a scam trying to take people's Paypal accounts... we see enough of that on mTurk already :(

:FacePalm2: I get so tired of those scams ..... there are definitely way too many of them on mTurk.

Hugo
09-28-2011, 03:04 PM
. . . I will agree again that it sucks, but for a requester to require that all fields be completed properly and reject for their rules not being followed does not really make them a bad requester . . .
Auto rejects are being issued even when rules are being followed, and that makes them a bad requester. A lot can happen in-between entering text into a field and clicking the submit button, which is part of why error handling is a necessary part of coding. Even more so when not doing so can result in rejects.

. . . I know on the flash ad hits, if you do not have a button clicked, it will not let you submit . . .
Thanks, that's great to know. If I get desperate enough to work on their hits again, I can click on the flash link before I accept, and if I get an error, I'll skip.

. . . I know it probably can be done, but it might be beyond their coding capabilities to say if x is clicked, then field must not be blank. ?
It's very simple coding. Besides, they know how to do a "if both a certain radio button is active and a certain field is blank, then auto-reject" so...

unckelli
09-28-2011, 07:41 PM
Although I don't know that my situation applies to you, I am brand new (just joined a few days ago) and the same thing is happening to me. I used to be able to see some things that suddenly went missing today. I emailed spamgirl and she stated that it was a mistake that I could view it in the first place. Now I'm a little bummed at what else I'm missing out on.

kdd9683
09-28-2011, 07:51 PM
Yeah, it's a bummer, but I don't think it takes much to be able to see the complete forum. You just have to post on the forum which is something I didn't do much on the old forum. I'm not sure how many posts you have to make in order to unlock the forum, but maybe around 30 or 40. I know that it's worth it though, because this forum helps bring money into my household.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I just wanted to add....I've been posting lately, of course to get my count up, but I've been a little cautious, because I don't want to seem like a spammer so I post I guess you can say in spurts....lol

pennyxdreadful
09-28-2011, 08:01 PM
Yeah, it's a bummer, but I don't think it takes much to be able to see the complete forum. You just have to post on the forum which is something I didn't do much on the old forum. I'm not sure how many posts you have to make in order to unlock the forum, but maybe around 30 or 40. I know that it's worth it though, because this forum helps bring money into my household.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

I just wanted to add....I've been posting lately, of course to get my count up, but I've been a little cautious, because I don't want to seem like a spammer so I post I guess you can say in spurts....lol

Oh well. That's what I figured. It's just a bit annoying when forums I could view suddenly go away.

taintturk
09-28-2011, 08:09 PM
Go to the introductions forum and welcome some other new members, thats not spamming.

kdd9683
09-28-2011, 08:10 PM
Oh well. That's what I figured. It's just a bit annoying when forums I could view suddenly go away.

Yeah I know, but I guess you have spammers or whatever lurking around too. It hurts the ones that are really here to learn about Turking and get guidance, but it's all worth it. I would've never been successful on mTurk without this forum. I used to turk before knowing about the old forum and I never made any money and I was so scared of getting scammed, but now, I'm like a Pro. Not a Superstar yet, but I'm getting there. HaHa...

I just realized also for someone who never really talked on the old forum, I'm just chit chatting away....Hmmm...I guess I like this.

spamgirl
09-28-2011, 08:18 PM
I just realized also for someone who never really talked on the old forum, I'm just chit chatting away....Hmmm...I guess I like this.

That's an added benefit of the rules :) It also is nice to see through your posts that you're a trustworthy person... it gets you full access a bit earlier than you'd expect sometimes ;)

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

I got the impression that there were parts of the forum I couldn't view when I first joined. I figured that was because I was a newbie/hadn't posted enough/whatever. Now it seems like I'm being locked out of certain sub-forums. Why is that?

A forum did not have it's permissions set properly. I fixed it today and now only people with full access can see it.

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Now I'm a little bummed at what else I'm missing out on.

Consider it an amuse bouche - it got you hungry for the real thing! LOL

unckelli
09-28-2011, 08:26 PM
Thanks spamgirl! I appreciated your quick response to my private message. And I definitely am chomping at the bit... I'm searching around to see what I can do to get myself on the inside. :) The forum I could view was super helpful, which makes me excited for the possibilities!

kdd9683
09-28-2011, 08:44 PM
That's an added benefit of the rules :) It also is nice to see through your posts that you're a trustworthy person... it gets you full access a bit earlier than you'd expect sometimes ;)

---------- Post added at 08:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 PM ----------

Yeah, I noticed that as I was looking through some of your posts yesterday not to be a cry baby, but just roll with the punches. I wasn't trying to get the forum opened to me sooner, but Thank you bunches...I guess I get some cool points...lol. You too! I normally never talk in forums unless I really need help or see someone needs some good advice and I have the answer. But hey, maybe this has made me want to talk more, because I can't shut up. I should be working right now. But first, I have to see what all I have been missing. Yeah buddy!!

But thanks again. I'm rocking and rolling now.....

Alicelove
09-28-2011, 09:47 PM
Yeah buddy!!

Lol, I am immediately reminded of Brak when I see that, although it's probably not what you're referencing and therefore you have no idea what I'm talking about, but...yeah buddy! :lol: :lol:

More on topic, it's good to know that good behavior gets people in quicker - and I also should be working instead of talking, lol, what is wrong with me?!

turker88
09-30-2011, 12:08 AM
I PM'd spamgirl about the same thing....I was with the "in" crowd, then poof! I was out. She just told me to keep posting. I guess I'll look for places to chime in!

taskmistress
09-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I love Brak!!!

Matt
10-10-2011, 12:16 PM
So I know im new here and we are making an effort to rid the site of spammers, but is there anything we could do to give read only access to all forms. I ask because I posted a question that has been moved to a forum I can't even access. =(

librarian50
10-10-2011, 12:22 PM
Please understand that read only would be just what spammers would love to see! There are many places for you to add comments and get your count up. Say hello and welcome to others who are new to the forum! We all love to be welcomed... What do you think of the legal problems over the new Kindle Fire?
http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?1475-Kindle-Fire-Hit-With-Patent-Suit&p=23887#post23887

spamgirl
10-10-2011, 12:29 PM
It had been up for 24 hours when I moved it, I think that's plenty of time to have seen the answer. That said, the rules are applied to everyone equally, which is what makes them fair.

turk10
10-10-2011, 12:30 PM
So I know im new here and we are making an effort to rid the site of spammers, but is there anything we could do to give read only access to all forms. I ask because I posted a question that has been moved to a forum I can't even access. =(
Welcome to the forums, you will find them really useful and have total access in no time.

zerdafennecus
10-10-2011, 07:47 PM

It's scammer on Turk we are worried about. They will lurk and see which requesters are not rejecting and jump in and rip the requesters off then good workers suffer when they start rejecting everyone and not just the scammers or what could have been a good requester just quits due to scammers.

oconnelllori
10-19-2011, 06:58 PM
How many posts must one do before they can have access to the Requester Boardroom?

spamgirl
10-19-2011, 07:31 PM
You've already got access, oconnellori :)

jrb0408
11-14-2011, 03:22 PM
I was in that section checking surveys and when I reloaded the page to see if it had updated it was gone

katmar
11-14-2011, 03:26 PM
I just realized this too! What's up?

chicory
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
The very same thing happened to me just now when trying to access the cool survey thread. I was in there earlier today. I hope someone may assist me. Or do I need to make additional posts? Thanks.

firetigersoul
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I just received a PM saying that it's been closed to people who haven't posted enough. I'd like to know how many posts are required before I can gain access again. I mean, I've been on here for 2-3 months. I'm pretty sure people can see that I'm not a scammer by now...

katmar
11-14-2011, 04:04 PM
Yep, I figured that's what it was when I noticed jrb0408's post count and then mine. Blergh. Makes sense though.

Thanks for letting us know!

firetigersoul
11-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Yep, I figured that's what it was when I noticed jrb0408's post count and then mine. Blergh. Makes sense though.

Thanks for letting us know!

No problem! I'm hoping someone finds out how many posts are needed...I'm running out of things to say, lol.

katmar
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Chicory, some other people and myself discussed this in another thread. And yep, it is due to our low post counts. :)

Not sure what the minimum requirement is to gain access to the survey threads, but if I find out I'll post it here.

dbrew101
11-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Oh man,I loved that part of the forum! I am more a lurker turker tha a posting one!

chicory
11-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Thank you and I guess I will go on a forum hunt myself lol.

spamgirl
11-14-2011, 04:44 PM
A few forums were public which weren't supposed to be, so I fixed the problem today. You need to follow the tips in this thread to get access.

amandab
11-14-2011, 04:47 PM
Chicory, some other people and myself discussed this in another thread. And yep, it is due to our low post counts. :)

Not sure what the minimum requirement is to gain access to the survey threads, but if I find out I'll post it here.

There is a reason the moderators do not tell you exactly how many posts you need to get into certain threads.

Flyfisher
11-14-2011, 04:50 PM
All of a sudden I can't access that forum either - and I've posted links to surveys in it! Don't see how it makes sense to keep me from using it now.

Rosengurtle
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
@Flyfisher didn't you post on the old forum too? You can PM spamgirl and she'll update your post count to include your posts from the old forum.

jrb0408
11-14-2011, 05:06 PM
It doesnt make much sense Ive been in there since the beginning of Oct and now I cant access. Hell most of the posts that I have made have been in that forum. It would have been nice to get some warning or explanation instead of just cutting off access. Its pretty clear that if you have been using that area and posting in there that you are not a spammer.

obscura - closed
11-14-2011, 05:09 PM
I understand the point of trying to prevent spammers/scammers etc but it's kind of disappointing to me too. I'm just a natural lurker, I am in every forum I've ever belonged to. I've been trying to do my best to get my post count up, but it might be a long time before I have enough.

mimic
11-14-2011, 05:12 PM
It doesnt make much sense Ive been in there since the beginning of Oct and now I cant access. Hell most of the posts that I have made have been in that forum. It would have been nice to get some warning or explanation instead of just cutting off access. Its pretty clear that if you have been using that area and posting in there that you are not a spammer.

You probably had access by mistake in the first place. When this new forum started in August you had to have over a certain number of posts to view the survey area and Requester boards.

That's how it goes... don't like it don't come here. ;-)

dipps4
11-14-2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks for the info, and for providing me a viable avenue to make a useless post!

aebaum91
11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
After reading this thread I realized I can no longer see the Survey thread either. It's a shame, I have been finding lots of surveys on there lately and "thanking" members for it. I did just join this forum within the week though, but I post in threads at least once or twice a day and often thank members for help. I won't complain though, rules are rules. Still, what a bummer. :/

jrb0408
11-14-2011, 05:20 PM
While I also understand the reasons why, it would seem that some consideration should be given to the time you have been a member. Its not my fault that the restrictions were not set properly for that section, but I would say in the time that I have been using it I have tried to add to the discussions and have listed Turks when I thought they might fit the forum or were not already listed.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:18 PM ----------

You probably had access by mistake in the first place. When this new forum started in August you had to have over a certain number of posts to view the survey area and Requester boards.

That's how it goes... don't like it don't come here. ;-)

Honestly thats really not a very good attitude.

Flyfisher
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I had a lot of posts in the old forum. I'm kinda reluctant to PM Spamgirl .... I thought I either had an email or saw a post from her saying to not PM her about this topic? Or maybe it was suspensions?

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Oh- and if you are reading along Spamgirl..... I even voted for your floor every day of the contest ; )

juni
11-14-2011, 05:26 PM
I had a lot of posts in the old forum. I'm kinda reluctant to PM Spamgirl .... I thought I either had an email or saw a post from her saying to not PM her about this topic? Or maybe it was suspensions?

You don't want to PM her bugging her for access...but PMing her to add your old post count from the old forum is perfectly fine.

taskmistress
11-14-2011, 05:32 PM
I just thought that there were not any good surveys up today until I noticed this thread.

kella
11-14-2011, 05:49 PM
You don't want to PM her bugging her for access...but PMing her to add your old post count from the old forum is perfectly fine.

Thanks Juni!

spamgirl
11-14-2011, 07:13 PM
Honestly thats really not a very good attitude.

And yet it's the one that I, the admin, post here often. The rules are the rules and they're not changing.

drama108
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
wow. I thought the forum had been deleted or something til I saw this thread. There goes my only reason for visiting here

jrb0408
11-14-2011, 08:39 PM
And yet it's the one that I, the admin, post here often. The rules are the rules and they're not changing.

Good to know then.

spamgirl
11-14-2011, 08:41 PM
wow. I thought the forum had been deleted or something til I saw this thread. There goes my only reason for visiting here

You've already posted 6 times, you're on your way to getting access *shrug*

laurao22
11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Hi all! I am still what I consider a newbie, started about 3 weeks ago. Finding this forum was like a treasure! And I was seeing the other forums that I can't see now, and I feel kind of bummed. I was starting to feel like I had co-workers! I guess this whole forum is like that really.
Anyway, I was feeling like I wasn't contributing, other than saying "thanks" (but i did just discover the star button is to build someone's rep. (I've seen that on other forums but didn't realize it was here too because I didn't see a rep count). I am not very computer savvy, (when I was a kid, computers were things that filled a room and only scientists and the government had them!) and learn through trial and error (unless my kids are willing to help). So, may I ask a stupid question here about how does one post a link? There have been some things I did on mturk that were quick and easy and I thought I would like to share it but didn't know how.
Okay, my dirty secret is out now.
And if I can figure out how to do that, where can I put them now that i don't have access to that thread?
Thanks for any help!
(blushing intensely here)

katmar
11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
There is a reason the moderators do not tell you exactly how many posts you need to get into certain threads.

You are correct, and had I read this thread (and the PM I received when I joined -- d'oh!) I would have known that. Lesson learned. :)

New to turking and new to Turkernation...baby steps.

foawrestling
11-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Im not sure what happened. I did have access to the Surveys area yesterday, but today I don't. What gives?

mimic
11-15-2011, 09:32 AM
New posters don't have access to certain areas of the forum. There was probably a mistake when your account was approved.

Please see #10 on the FAQ.

http://turkernation.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq

Rosengurtle
11-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Read this: http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?890-I-m-new-and-I-can-t-access-the-Requesters-Boardroom-Everyone-Else-etc.-why/
Basically the permissions were set wrong and new people weren't supposed to be able to see that section. They just fixed it yesterday.

Oops didn't see Mimic had already answered.

foawrestling
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM
I wonder if it's because I just haven't posted for a while. Does inactivity take you back to limited access?

Rosengurtle
11-15-2011, 09:39 AM
No, you didn't have enough posts to see it in the first place. The forum permissions were just set up incorrectly, you aren't supposed to be able to see it until you get your post count up.

foawrestling
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh, thanks Rosengurtle, all is clear to me now.

cambriax84
11-16-2011, 02:30 AM
I thought something was wrong too but once I got my post count up I was able to regain access to the surveys :D

anglzgirl
11-17-2011, 10:02 AM
I will definitely say its very smart to make the required post count unknown. It'll be like surprise Christmas when I get full access LOL

foawrestling
11-17-2011, 04:22 PM
Hehe. Yeah, I kinda like not knowing when the full access day will come.

BobSaget
11-17-2011, 08:25 PM
Did something change? I was able to access the piggy bank HIT's post before and now I can't get into the "Everyone else" forum now or even search for the Piggy Bank HITs post. Did the access rules change to these areas?

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:10 PM ----------

Ah, looks like I was in the right post, I just needed to look back a few pages. Darn! I thought I was doing some real good for people in that Piggy Banks thread too. :( Got lots of thank you's for posting some easy, good paying HITs.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Actually, I do have one other criticism about this limitation. Honestly, I probably would not have joined as a member of TurkerNation had I not seen the "Cool Surveys" and "Piggy Bank HITs" right at first. In fact the main reason I didn't join that other turker forum is because all it looked like was a chat room. I joined here because there were posts that provided better access to higher quality HITs. I'm not sure what the answer is, as I know that you don't want to divulge all the goods right up front, but I think that this forum would attract more attention if you did somehow divulge a taste of what is available here. Maybe a sticky that shows a screenshot of what the good stuff is here? That way turkers that could really use the help don't just skim over this forum thinking it's just a chat room for social turkers.

spamgirl
11-17-2011, 08:43 PM
Truth: I don't care who signs up here. I don't make a penny off this forum, so the less people, the less headaches. This forum only benefits the people who sign up, not as much vice versa.

That said, the less people sign up here, the less savvy Turkers. The less savvy Turkers, the more work for me. I'm happy with that tyvm.

BobSaget
11-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Greed is good? Survival of the fittest? Why start a forum in the first place if you don't want others stealing your HITs?

Not trying to be unruly, just genuinely confused - I thought that helping out our fellow Turkers was the point of this site?

spamgirl
11-17-2011, 09:21 PM
Exactly, and that's just what it does. It helps you, and therefore YOU need it. That's why it doesn't cater to anyone.

BobSaget
11-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Exactly, and that's just what it does. It helps you, and therefore YOU need it. That's why it doesn't cater to anyone.

I'm kind of more into the whole helping those that need it part. I mean mTurk pays beans, I'm here because I choose to be, not because I need to be. If I can make someone else's QoL a little bit better by giving them access to something that isn't going to pay them $0.02 for 10 minutes of their time, then I feel like I might be helping make the world just a bit better. Which is what I though was the point here too, and why you made this site in the first place. Maybe you're just tired of people badgering you about access?

Regardless, I'll continue to spread the word of where to find quality HITs, and one place is the links deep within this site. Just saying, for the unaware skimmer, they probably wouldn't take the initiative to notice the good stuff.

And now that I have argued enough with you to get back access to the good stuff, I'll go back to posting what I post best. Cheers!

spamgirl
11-17-2011, 10:02 PM
We protect the good stuff from SCAMMERS who are driving good requesters away. That's all I care about.

EMfromOZ
11-17-2011, 10:42 PM
Could I have a little cheeze with my whine, pleeze? (ooo, how I have longed to be able to say that!) I, too was disappointed to be unable to see the "good stuff"--but I do understand the reasoning. I, too, am not "chatty"--prefer to be a lurker--but I also agree with the need to give something back whenever I can. I've tried not to post just for posting's sake, though. There are plenty of opportunities to say something positive.
:chillpill:

Amma554
11-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Oh man,I loved that part of the forum! I am more a lurker turker tha a posting one!

Lurker Turker :lmfao:

Is there a ditto smiley?

---------- Post added at 01:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 AM ----------

Truth: I don't care who signs up here. I don't make a penny off this forum, so the less people, the less headaches. This forum only benefits the people who sign up, not as much vice versa.

That said, the less people sign up here, the less savvy Turkers. The less savvy Turkers, the more work for me. I'm happy with that tyvm.
:giggle2: now, now.

thegoldengeist
11-22-2011, 10:48 PM
My harddrive died, and when I came back...I can't find the survey board. What happened to it?

reebs - Banned
11-22-2011, 10:57 PM
You need to post more to have access to it. Some people were inadvertently allowed to see it when they weren't supposed to I think.

EMfromOZ
11-23-2011, 03:53 AM
You can get your post numbers up and it shouldn't take too long. (Have patience in the meantime.) Don't try to do a lot of spam-like posts, but do post where it seems appropriate. Welcome newbies--maybe 4-5 a day or post a comment in another interesting-looking thread. Soon you will be given access to "the good stuff".

Nivedx
11-28-2011, 05:05 AM
Guess it's time to start posting

NetWiz
11-28-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh booo... lol I understand it though but I kind of didn't know I didn't have access to the good stuff until now. I guess that's what it's all about understand the forum then getting access. I have nothing to share yet, I'm a new turker.

ETA: I like how nobody has said how many I need to post either... lol I'm starting to like you all.

shaksy
12-07-2011, 05:36 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the rest eventually :boogie:

Gulfcoaster
12-07-2011, 05:46 PM
I am looking forward to seeing the rest eventually :boogie:

Edited by spamgirl: DO NOT PM Spamgirl unless you were on the old forum and had lots of posts.

shywolf
12-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Do we need to PM her to get access? I thought we had to post a certain number of times and then it would be automatic :) Just curious, as I'm really excited to see the rest of the forum myself! Thanks!! :D

spamgirl
12-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Do we need to PM her to get access? I thought we had to post a certain number of times and then it would be automatic :) Just curious, as I'm really excited to see the rest of the forum myself! Thanks!! :D

DO NOT PM me! You're right, it happens automatically.

taintturk
12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
DO NOT PM me! You're right, it happens automatically.
But, should I pm you ?

spamgirl
12-07-2011, 07:43 PM
But, should I pm you ?

You can, but you're special.

taintturk
12-07-2011, 08:17 PM
You can, but you're special.

bow chicka wow wow

Hollie - Closed
12-08-2011, 10:24 PM
I can't wait to get to the so-called good stuff. I like all the non good info I have read, so the good stuff must be amazing

darcyn77
12-09-2011, 03:09 AM
Some forum threads that I was able to post in yesterday are off limits to me again today. Is it because of something I did wrong. or some other reason?

spamgirl
12-09-2011, 10:52 AM
I didn't change anything... which forum threads?

darcyn77
12-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Ok, so in the forum info section the only one not blocked is this one. General turking has the media thread and the suggestion thread blocked. Social has freebies and screenshots. It's probably some kind of bug, because when I just logged in to the site, this thread was blocked, so I clicked on latest posts, went back to the forum homepage, and this one was unblocked.

spamgirl
12-09-2011, 11:36 AM
I viewed the forum as you and saw everything normal... was able to access all threads. I'd recommend logging out, clearing your cache, closing your browser, and starting fresh :)

shaksy
12-10-2011, 12:08 AM
I can't wait to get to the so-called good stuff. I like all the non good info I have read, so the good stuff must be amazing

that's what I was just thinking! I have done so much better since really taking the time to read through the posts and pay attention (my mind tends to wander:D) it's hard to imagine much better! plus I really have never found a message board with such nice people, it makes it a place you look forward to visiting (have you noticed how plain mean people can be on the internet, it makes me sad-so happy it's not like that here)

shywolf
12-10-2011, 02:41 AM
I totally agree with shaksy, the part of the forum I can see is already so awesome that it's hard to imagine how the rest of the forum can be even better.. it must be mind-blowing! It's driving me crazy waiting to see it, lol ;) And this forum really is the most helpful place with the most wonderful, kind people! I love it here :D

PinkPolkaDots
12-10-2011, 04:08 AM

This! Everyone here is so nice and helpful too.

NetWiz
12-13-2011, 11:14 AM
I didn't want to jump all over the other poster's thread but I am experiencing something similar. I am not sure this is a forum glitch so I didn't put it under issues. I am still new here, so it may very well be because my post count isn't high yet. Example, last week I could see the John Ledger thread under Requesters. Yesterday that was gone but I could see the Vehix thread, today both are gone and I have only the main hall of fame/shame thread. :o I'm lost to say the least. I thought the threads were supposed to be showing up over time not disappearing?

spamgirl
12-13-2011, 11:23 AM
Vehix shouldn't have been visible, that was an error I just fixed an hour ago - when I made it live again from archive it was visible to all, that was a mistake. You should have access to NOTHING in Requester's Boardroom except Hall of Fame/Shame.

SugaSnapp
12-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Hi mods, I just saw that a thread that I answered for a person regarding CrowdSource HITS was moved to the CS forum. That's probly a really good thing, except the person only had made 1 forum post and I thought that meant they wouldn't be able to have access to the CS forum? So how will they see the answer?

librarian50
12-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi SugaSnapp,
Yes, they won't be able to access that part of the forum, but as you mentioned, that is the place for the post. I'm really sorry, but I needed to move it.

Librarian50

spamgirl
12-19-2011, 07:31 PM
The truth is to get the answers you seek you must meet the posting minimums. If you could get the answers in public then there would be no drive to achieve full-board access, would there?

leggs80
12-20-2011, 12:37 AM
What is the post requirement to see the rest of the forum??

PinkPolkaDots
12-20-2011, 03:59 AM
It's a secret ;)

staceyescape
12-20-2011, 10:15 PM
I was wondering about the issue with the appearing and disappearing forums but spamgirl's explanation makes sense. Guess I'll just have to come out of lurkdom :D

Antnee20x
12-27-2011, 07:13 PM
Same issue. I do not have the credentials to see my own post that was moved into another forum. This occurred before.

mykel99945
12-28-2011, 01:56 PM
Yeah I've been following threads that were moved and it's a little frustrating. I guess I understand why they don't want to give access to everyone (though not entirely), but I feel like the limit should be a little lower. I don't want to feel like I should write spammy posts or chime in when I don't have anything to contribute just so I can get more access.

taintturk
12-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Yeah I've been following threads that were moved and it's a little frustrating. I guess I understand why they don't want to give access to everyone (though not entirely), but I feel like the limit should be a little lower. I don't want to feel like I should write spammy posts or chime in when I don't have anything to contribute just so I can get more access.

It is for the protection of the requesters and workers alike.

If scammers know who the good requesters are, they jump on them and make life difficult for honest workers.
But at the same time, members who do not want to participate should not just be spoon fed the hard work of others, they have to contribute and become part of the group to have access.

yea you could spam and get in, but if it is just crap, then more than likely you would face a ban and get screwed altogether. Spamgirl loves her banhammer , btw welcome to the forum

Gulfcoaster
12-28-2011, 02:29 PM
It's not fair for people to join TN and enjoy the benefits of information without giving to the community first. Why should a lurker benefit from our valuable information without giving anything in return? We all have been newbies before, and the members here have put in their time and effort to contribute to the community to make it as successful as it is now. Try to see it as an opportunity for yourself to benefit from - simply by posting and trying to help fellow Turkers and the forum.

librarian50
12-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Same issue. I do not have the credentials to see my own post that was moved into another forum. This occurred before.

You should be able to see the whole forum Antnee20x, what parts can't you see?

Project 2501
12-28-2011, 02:40 PM
There are plenty of places to post on the board to reach the limit for more access. You can head to Off Topic where many of us have shared pictures of our pets, talk about sports or any non turking subject. You can share your experiences with Requesters in the Hall of Fame/Shame section. In General Turking, you can ask general turking questions like getting the qualifications to able to work for certain requesters. There you can also ask questions about something you are unsure about like what do you need do about taxes on your earnings at mTurk.

You can say hello to others newbies in the introduction threads or take the time to talk to those that have said welcome in your introduction thread. You have plenty of places to post with limited access without doing spammy posts.

mykel99945
12-28-2011, 02:50 PM
It is for the protection of the requesters and workers alike.

If scammers know who the good requesters are, they jump on them and make life difficult for honest workers.
But at the same time, members who do not want to participate should not just be spoon fed the hard work of others, they have to contribute and become part of the group to have access.

yea you could spam and get in, but if it is just crap, then more than likely you would face a ban and get screwed altogether. Spamgirl loves her banhammer , btw welcome to the forum

Thanks, I didn't think about the scammers getting access. To be clear, I wasn't planning on spamming to get there, and I haven't noticed a ton of spam either. I hadn't thought about the social parts of the site, just thought was weird to see someone on this thread a few weeks ago, then see their post count is over 100 now.

I do realize if everyone just got everything up front, not too many people would contribute new stuff. I feel like with my few post so far (other than these two :)) I'm contributing some. I work full time and need to turk with most of my free time, so I probably won't have a lot of time to get into the social aspects of the site and get my post count up that way, but I'll definetly get it there eventually. The quick responses to this thread show how great this community is so I know it'll be worth the wait!

slund
12-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Can someone tell me what the post count has to be in order to have access to the entire board? I am not talking about spamming the forum. I just want to know what goal I am working toward. LOL