PDA

View Full Version : turking with smart phones

panyi42
03-28-2012, 10:26 AM
I'm new to mTurk. I have an brain intense job analyzing large amounts of data. I do have some downtime for brakes, planning to turk during the downtime. Since the internet access is restricted at work, I cannot do many hits. Thinking about investing in a smartphone. Wondering anybody's experience turking with smartphones? thanks

Rosengurtle
03-28-2012, 10:44 AM
The only hits I'll do on my android are the very simple ones where you have to choose a radio button and press enter. Any other hits would be too hard to navigate and I can't imagine trying to do a writing job on my phone.

librarian50
03-28-2012, 10:50 AM
I have done Two Lakes Research HITs on my Iphone. It was slower, of course, but a lot of fun.

Hollie - Closed
03-28-2012, 11:02 AM
I take surveys on my phone when I have a solid signal. I also do categorization tasks and anything where you just have to select choices.

revos
03-28-2012, 11:11 AM
It's a bit painful for me to do even the simplest tasks on a smartphone. Aside from the navigation issues, I have 3G on my phone and each page loads pretty slow. I usually just use my phone to check if my favorite requesters have posted work.

panyi42
03-28-2012, 11:14 AM
I know you can connect a smart phone to a keyboard, maybe some transcription job would be possible that way. But it sounds like navigating Mturk on a smart phone is the major issue. An ipad is just too expensive to invest for the downtime HITS at work!

geisharose
03-28-2012, 02:51 PM
I actually tried this the other day with my iPhone and I can tell you that it is no walk in the park. Maybe if you are doing a survey or something it might work, but the eye strain is no fun. Also, zooming in and out gets kind of annoying.

Mindylane
03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Depending on your phone, it's just as if you're doing it on the computer. I do HITs on my phone all day.

panyi42
03-28-2012, 03:53 PM
thanks for all your reply. sounds like 3G is a pain. Mindylane, do you have 4G?
I don't have a smart phone yet, so am not familiar with navigating the system. But sounds like it will take some practice to get used to.

Mindylane
03-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I suppose I do have 4G. My phone says I do. It can be slow, sure, but when there's nothing else going on, I don't mind waiting the extra second, haha.

EMfromOZ
04-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Mindy, what kind of phone do you have? Mine is HTC Thunderbolt & my smart phone is smarter than I am.

I'm still learning to navigate around. (I CAN make a phone call, though, amazing as that is! So I wouldn't try turking until I become more familiar with getting around on it.)

snickers495
04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
I have a Samsung Galaxy s2 and I do some menial jobs on it like surveys. Most of the survey sites are optimized for smartphone use, so it's not like navigating with a browser on a computer. 4g is a must, or wifi, to do anything. I tried turking on my touchpad, and it just didn't give me as good a feeling as turking on my phone. Computer, of course, is best for speed and efficiency.

Bonny
04-04-2012, 09:24 PM
I am have no real trouble turking on my acer A100 tablet, though some hits are impossible for whatever reason. I usually have to use the Opera browser, though. Dolphin is my favorite for everything else, but it sometimes refuses to let me click on the buttons or write in text boxes. It's only with hits, though. It works fine on other sites.

Still, it's a tablet and not a phone, so I really can't tell you how hard it would be to do. I don't really have any problems performing hits with Android version 3.2.

phturk
04-08-2012, 08:18 PM
I sometimes use my Kindle or iPad tablet for turking while in bed. However I am using them to connect via RDC/VNC to my PC.

AndrewTB83
08-27-2012, 02:04 PM
I have an HTC incredible. It is slow at times because it is old now, and I'm due for an upgrade. I do HIT's on it all the time. I have no complaints for the most part. I use my phone more than I use my laptop in general though, so I may be biased.

k1ll
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
This is a smart idea... I was considering getting a laptop so I could turk on the go, but now I am considering a tablet instead. Does anyone here turk on a tablet?

DJCynic
08-27-2012, 02:56 PM
The type of phone can definitely affect how well you can work, but generally speaking it is possible. Usually only simple HITs are doable......but ones where you have to write, or visit other websites are kind tough on a phone.

Rachellewms
08-27-2012, 05:37 PM
This is a smart idea... I was considering getting a laptop so I could turk on the go, but now I am considering a tablet instead. Does anyone here turk on a tablet?

Hey, if you search the forum, you will find that there is a thread about turking with tablets...If I remember correctly most people said it was more hassle that what it is worth. But...you should try it for yourself, different strokes for different folks, you may become a tablet turking pro... Let me know if you do :)

Coolnamehere
08-27-2012, 06:34 PM
I turk from my smart phone at work all the time. It really doesn't seem to make things any slower, in fact on some hits I think it goes a little faster on a phone.

djtech9
08-27-2012, 07:08 PM
I only ever view Mturk on my phone. I've got a mytouch by T-Mobile, so it's fully capable for HITs. I just prefer not to try. Invest in a netbook? Or tablet?

Hollie - Closed
08-27-2012, 08:01 PM
I only ever view Mturk on my phone. I've got a mytouch by T-Mobile, so it's fully capable for HITs. I just prefer not to try. Invest in a netbook? Or tablet?

I just got my tablet and I am finding that its a bit of pain for some turking tasks. I do a lot my my phone, but only simple tasks. I think a laptop or something with a keyboard is easier than trying to do a touch screen. I can still use my gadgets for stuff, but when I am hardcore turking I would rather use my good old fashioned desktop computer. :p

djtech9
08-28-2012, 04:19 AM
I just got my tablet and I am finding that its a bit of pain for some turking tasks. I do a lot my my phone, but only simple tasks. I think a laptop or something with a keyboard is easier than trying to do a touch screen. I can still use my gadgets for stuff, but when I am hardcore turking I would rather use my good old fashioned desktop computer. :p

We can trade if you want! :D

iamthebatman - Banned
08-28-2012, 06:31 PM
Eh I really try not to do HITS on smartphone mainly because its not as fast and efficient as using a desktop with mouse and keyboard. Not to mention smartphone internet speeds are pretty shitty

leftfield
10-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Great idea but I agree it would be too tedious for most HITs. At least you could accept long timer HITs for when you get to a computer. If you have the patience you can use Log Me In on phones to remote control your computer from anywhere.

smkkms78
10-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I have done some surveys on my iPhone, but it is difficult. I do a lot of hits on my iPad, and even that causes some problems. Maybe with your down time you can search and add hits for later? It might be a more efficient use of your time rather than wasting it trying to complete a hit on a small, difficult screen.

panyi42
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I found a comfortable system doing HITs while at work using my droid Bionic smart phone for 5 month; mainly doing some survey on downtimes on the work computer. Since work computer does not allow me to submit HITs, I would use my smart phone to submit the HIT without any issue.

2 days ago, I was forced to upgrade to operating system Android version 4.0.4, now I can not input completion code or any typed comments in the HIT window!>:(
I spent an hour last night with the Verizon tech support trouble shooting this issue to no avail. Apparently this new version of operating system is not compatible with amazon turk; but it worked with the old version without any issues.

I'm so upset! Any suggestions?
I'm even thinking of abandoning droid altogether & get go with the iPhone, hoping it would get me a better long term turking experiencing at work.

jdowling
11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
You could always root your phone and go back to a gingerbread ROM. Some phones are really easy to root like my s2 but some are a real hassle.

panyi42
11-02-2012, 06:31 PM
how do I root my phone? is that something I need to find a professional to do?

jdowling
11-02-2012, 07:33 PM
its different for every phone just google how to root whatever phone you have. Also read up on the risks and advantages of rooting.

uniqueturker
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I've taken 1 or 2 from my phone but I've never been much of a fan of doing it but it does work.

panyi42
11-07-2012, 06:44 PM
it's not working since the forced upgrade of my ICS operating system on my droid bionic, amazon turk site is no longer compatible w ICS OS. I just hate it, because I'm stuck with verizon contract for another year and a half, so disappointed! I'll go apple all the way next time.

A2-D2
11-07-2012, 09:36 PM
Oh, is that it? I was wondering whether it was the Android OS upgrade, or the fact that I went from an HTC phone to a Samsung one.

I used to be able to do all HITs on my old phone. On my new one, there are only a couple of requesters I've found whose HITs I can do. For some stupid reason, the radio buttons in Crowdflower HITs do not fill in on my new phone. I am extremely disappointed. I really loved being able to Turk wherever I was. :(

panyi42
11-08-2012, 01:12 AM
yes, A2-D2; all droid phones are having this forced upgrade process where amazon worked perfectly on the old operating system Gingerbread, but it does not work on the current ice cream sandwich OS. Each major release of the OS is named in alphabetical order after a dessert or sugary treat, hence Gingerbread before ice cream sandwich; the next one would be Jellybean.

You're right, the radio button doesn't work, the box where a code can be entered no longer work.
I'm not waiting for Google to work out it's OS kinks, iPhone works beautifully...
Yes, I'm sooo very disappointed!

Rachellewms
11-08-2012, 11:29 AM
It sounds like turking on a smartphone is more work than it is worth....

panyi42
11-10-2012, 12:40 AM
A2-D2, my brother downloaded "opera mobile" browser to my bionic droid, now the radio button works in amazon turk. So give "opera" a try. I know amazon turk doesn't work on the built in browser that comes with droid phone or on "dolphin" browser.

A2-D2
11-10-2012, 10:35 AM
I just installed Opera, and it worked! I can do HITs with radio buttons again! Plus, it makes text bigger and fits it to the screen when I zoom in, which Dolphin stopped doing after the ICS update. THANK YOU!! I wish I could hit "thanks" on your post more than once! :D

panyi42
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
You are welcome, A2-D2. Love to share any tips in this community.

atariguy
11-27-2012, 05:05 PM
I have done a few on my Android phone and on my Android tablet. The problem is that many of the HITs use javascript, which doesn't always work properly. I found that Firefox works better on my tablet than the stock browser. But I've actually had to finish HITs on my PC after starting them on my Android devices, because something wasn't working properly.