PDA

View Full Version : Why I do penny hits

carolyn
03-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Sometimes, when I have gotten a rejection, mostly because I did not remember doing a hit before, I do what I call "bulking up." My hit acceptance rate is 98.5 over about 8500 hits. If you get a rejection, it takes a lot of hits to increase your acceptance rate. I am aiming for 99% because there are some extra hits at that acceptance rate. If I can find a reliable requester, where I can do quick one-centers, I will take time out to do them for thatreason. So I would not want the low payers to disappear.:)

shellybean
03-14-2012, 03:54 PM
I've read about long-time Turkers that have tens of thousands of HITs (or more) and it takes them a really long time to increase their percentage back up if they get a mass-rejection. Even increasing by 0.1% takes forever (statistically) when you have that many HITs. Those little penny HITs can be like gold (if they are quick ones and not the "5 minutes for a penny" ones. Ha ha!)

carolyn
03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
You have to time these hits. The ones I do take less that 45 seconds per hit . They are hard to find. When they appear from a reliable source, they are a gold mine for "bulking up." When you find one of these, make sure there are over 100 hits to do so you can get into the rhythm.

Grodgers
03-14-2012, 04:16 PM
carolyn,

I do the very same thing and you are completely right about getting your approval rate up to 99%, Requesters sometimes do have the 99% approval rate set as a qualifier. A lot of people will argue, but Oscar can boost your ratings up pretty quickly. So far I have not seen
any rejections from him, and he pays within an hour. I even do his hits on days like today when I'm waiting for other things to be approved
before delving back into the unknown!

zan
03-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Once and only once in my 4+ years Turking did I jump into the deep end of the mass-HIT pool. I was both successful and unsuccessful. I succeeded in accumulating thousands of accepted HITs with no rejections, but eventually got blocked by the requester for a never to be discovered reason. At the time I was extremely upset, emailed Amazon, the specific Requester, etc. but never got an answer - I'll assume they just didn't want me doing any more of their 2 cent tasks. So, be careful out there!:o

Dan
03-14-2012, 04:26 PM
I did a bunch of penny hits to quickly get to 500 accepted hits. They certainly can be useful under some circumstances.

wittking9
03-14-2012, 04:39 PM
As long as you can get a good hourly rate, or really enjoy the hits then it is good to do this. Otherwise wait till there is something that will pay you good to help get your numbers up. Don't just do something for the stats if it doesn't pay well. :2cents:

Shyaamist - closed
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
But, my question to you all is this... IF there is nothing else at the moment, isn't it better to be making a few pennies than nothing?

wittking9
03-14-2012, 04:55 PM
But, my question to you all is this... IF there is nothing else at the moment, isn't it better to be making a few pennies than nothing?

If there is nothing good up, I would rather do something else that I need to get done for work, around the house, or try to learn something new (sometimes I just see what's going on on turkernation). That's just me though, I don't depend on my income from here. I just use it to help pay down my student loans faster. If you need the money then you may have to work, but when I think that I may spend an hour of my life on the computer for a dollar it just isn't worth it to me. There are other things I could do with my life for that hour. Our hours on this earth are numbered, the amount of money we can make isn't. It's up to you to figure out the trade off you can live with.

brandyh29
03-14-2012, 05:12 PM
I have actually found penny hits before that took literally 10 seconds or less. I will do penny hits if and only if it comes out to 8-10 cents per minute. There are some out there but they can be hard to find.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I personally will not Turk for less than $5 an hour, but everyone is different. If people wouldn't do the $1-$2 an hour hits, the requester would have no choice but to raise pay. But to each their own. :)

Dan
03-14-2012, 05:17 PM
I have actually found penny hits before that took literally 10 seconds or less. I will do penny hits if and only if it comes out to 8-10 cents per minute. There are some out there but they can be hard to find.

---------- Post added at 05:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:10 PM ----------

I personally will not Turk for less than $5 an hour, but everyone is different. If people wouldn't do the $1-$2 an hour hits, the requester would have no choice but to raise pay. But to each their own. :)

I agree with you, generally. However, if there's a game or survey that looks particularly fun but doesn't pay that well, I'll usually take it if I have nothing better to do.

kathylagare
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I never thought of this angle either. Thank you. I find that the hourly rate I will work for changes, depending on my boredom level and the amount of pain in my hand tendons from over-turking. :p

spamgirl
03-14-2012, 10:36 PM

If you tell a requester you're OK with nothing more than a penny, other requesters see this and drop their pay to a penny. Soon, people like you destroy the entire workplace by letting requesters know that you're not actually worth anything, you're just cheap labor with no self-value. Then we all suffer thanks to your lack of respect for the value of your work.

Lone_Wolf
03-15-2012, 04:40 PM
For those of you who think such low-paying HITs are a good tool for increasing your HIT count or improving your percentages, what is a good way to find the "quick" HITs rather than just the ones that are taking advantage of people at low wages?

Streiph
03-15-2012, 09:40 PM

If workers refuse to to work for low pay, the company must raise their rates to attract them. After all, they have things that need doing and what happens if they can't meet deadlines/client requests, etc? But if the workers can't find enough work, they won't make enough money to make ends meet.

It's like a game of chicken, and whoever holds out longer gets the better deal. But workers have a lot more to lose. And we can see from the wages from the HITs around who is giving out first.

If a major fraction of the workers on Mturk banded together and just avoided <$5/hour work altogether, then we'd see much better offerings by requesters. But we can't do much other than do so ourselves and advise others do so as well.

But I wonder, are there really a lot of people who constantly work for so little? I would rather spend my time on leisure activities than earn <$3/hour. I can't imagine there are that many people around willing to work like that...

snowkai246
03-15-2012, 11:13 PM
For those of you who think such low-paying HITs are a good tool for increasing your HIT count or improving your percentages, what is a good way to find the "quick" HITs rather than just the ones that are taking advantage of people at low wages?
It's like a cat & mouse game. You just really need to do your math and see if the requester's work is actually worth your time doing on an "hourly rate". Go through the Hall of Fame/Shame forum threads. Base it on your own moral values if you would accept the HIT or not. The HITs doesn't necessary need to be pocket change for each one you do, but more on the acceptance & how fast one goes through them.

Lone_Wolf
03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I think that's the issue for me - is there a reliable way to determine how long a HIT will really take versus how much time is given for it to be submitted? I can then judge that against the pay....

sweetberry
03-16-2012, 10:35 AM
Normally, I set a daily goal of $5 so if anything else come up I can quit for the day without worry. If I need to reach that daily goal by say $.20 I do penny hits. After doing five surveys in a row I need something easy.

Judging the time needed for a HIT completion for me depends on how I previously did on a similar HIT or the simplicity of the task. Just by reading the instructions and looking at the HIT I know if I should accept it.

JOHNRESA
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
I do penny HITs when I get rejections too. I got down to 96% once because of a huge mass rejection and it took me a very long time to get back over 99%. Now I do tons of penny HITS whenever I get a rejection so I do not go back down.

turker88
03-18-2012, 12:04 AM
I did one to two-penny hits when I started because I didn't qualify for anything else. I also did those to get my approval rate up. They serve their purpose, but it was a hard way to earn a dollar.

lizj97
03-18-2012, 12:12 PM
I can see doing penny hits if they can be done very quickly and you are sure they will be approved. But for the most part I try to stick to at least .05 because the money goes up so much faster.

deemturk
03-19-2012, 09:39 PM
i will sometimes do penny hits if they are fun and easy and if I have nothing better to do. As someone else here said, a penny or two is better than nothing at all.

kblover
03-19-2012, 11:17 PM
I take a break with my kid, watch her kid shows

I get a kick watching mom's dog watching kid shows. He particularly loves Dora and a couple others. He's fixated, barking, gets all into it.

That's worth a couple bucks, and I do count on income from here for a decent amount of income.

julesverne
03-23-2012, 07:27 PM
I did penny HITs when I wanted to build up my numbers but I am good now so I don't really need to do that. I also did them when a few rejections hurt me. I like penny HITs that are quick and easy, otherwise the penny is not worth it.

PearlRaine
03-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Very interesting insights/perspectives on the penny HITs. I've done them a few times (in my short MTurk career, lol) to boost my numbers but mostly to give my brain a break after some intense surveys. They do serve a purpose.

shellers
03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
I have done a couple of penny hits, but right now I'm still trying to get a grasp on everything. I have for the most part only done them at .10 and above. I read some good feedback in this thread and will def keep it in mind!

sirotis2004
03-25-2012, 11:43 AM
I think this is good advice and I will keep it in mind. I have not had a mass rejection yet, mostly because I am sticking with one requester for the bulk of my work. I think I could probably speed through some of the penny HITs if I had a dual monitor at home like I do at my regular 9-5 job. That may be something I do in the future. Right now I am Turking to pay down some debt. Personally I like sitting on my couch with my laptop.

MommyBree
05-31-2012, 02:17 PM
I have done penny hits to help build my hits :)

Skye - Closed
05-31-2012, 03:31 PM
I do hits for less than .05 if I'm trying to bulk up after a rejection or just to fill some time. Working for even $2.50 an hour isn't saying that I'm only worth that much - I still get to do whatever I want in the meantime. The penny hits are fast and can be done while on the phone or chasing after kids. I'm going to hit my goal every day. If I've spent an hour searching for a specific type of hit I'm in the hole. I keep a tab open with hits and check it every 20 minutes or so with a few different search criteria. In the meantime, penny hits it is. And whatever else life is throwing at me. I will refuse surveys that give a detail of actually needing an hour to complete the survey and they're paying around a dollar. That, to me, is being taken advantage of.

646count
05-31-2012, 09:20 PM
I think someone's self worth isn't measured in dollars or cents only. We get paid in all sorts of ways....being able to stay home, being able to have a paycheck when we are unable to go out, working at midnight or from 8-5, what ever. That's the beauty of this business we've chosen as OUR OWN and we can do what we want when we want (following rules of course). We can choose to do penny HITs or we can choose to not do anything less than XX. But it is our own choice because of our own reasons and I think THAT creates our own self worth. The ability to decide and choose what we think is best for our own business. I agree that requesters will continue to pay low if they continue to get their jobs done, but isn't that what THEIR business is about? If we should all agree to not do any penny HITs for a week (and good luck with that) the requester might pay more or he just might take his job some place else.

Right now I choose not to do penny HITs but who knows, maybe someday I will choose that and it will have nothing to do with my self worth. It will be a business decision.

binderlady
05-31-2012, 10:45 PM
what is the equivalent of the $1-$2 an hour hits for the worker in other countries. I am trying to make as much as I can. If I were to go to work outside the home over the summer time for 8 hours a day at minimum wage after I pay for daycare for two kids and gas for at least 40 miles round trip I would gross $2.50 an hour and If I had to drive my gas hog it would only be $1.83. When school starts back I would gross $6.25 an hour. I have found .$.04 hits that I can do quicker than the $.02 hits. If everyone wouldn't have given me some rates to think about I might still be trying to do them. If you think of it liked I detailed it out it makes since that I would bring home the same amount so why not do any hit available. The difference really is that when I work a $7.25 an hour minimum wage job I don't run the wage down for my co workers because I have more expenses to cover and end up with $2.50, it stays with me. I am trying to get the most money I can with very limited computer skills and It seems like I am able to keep myself busy not doing those slow low pay hits that the seasoned turkers advise us not to do.

Baeras
06-01-2012, 12:10 AM
Ive thought about doing the .05c hits from (blank) just to get my count up to >1000 so i have less restrictions on some of the better hits i see. Seeing as they all get approved super quick, and there a bit better then the .01 ones they're not to bad.

clark - Closed
06-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I never had to resort to penny hits when I started. Maybe the landscape was different when I started -- in January 2011 -- but I never did one cent hits. I don't even remember there being much conversation about "bulking up" either. I wish they would all disappear. Even a one-click penny hit -- extremely rare -- falls below $6.00/hr. I hate them.

Grimtock
06-01-2012, 01:05 AM

While I think the original poster made an excellent point on doing the penny hits to increase approval rating over mass rejections, I often find it a waste of time to do penny hits. Some of those penny hits are tedious and they should pay a lot more than they do.

cheshir3
06-01-2012, 09:17 AM
That's a great reason to do penny HITs but I've yet to find any of these that are actually worth the work. They're invariably too long to make them worthwhile.

Flyfisher
06-01-2012, 10:57 AM
I do penny HITS for lots of reasons, the main one being that I like the ones I do. If the day ever comes that there is a turker union, I'll be more than happy to give them up in support of higher wages for all, but we know that's never going to happen. Those turking to pay the rent should be glad that I'm busy doing those rather than 'stealing' the higher paying jobs from them.
I've been turking long enough to remember (and miss) "Are these different" which broke two cardinal rules of turking - no penny HITS and no majority rules. Once I stopped being irritated by the unfair rejections, I learned to think of it as a game - can I figure out what the other guy is gonna say. It was totally a game, with my score being kept by rejections. It's no surprise those HITS aren't here anymore - majority HITS rules just invites scammers rather than returning reliable results, but the requesters haven't learned that lesson yet either.

sockless
06-01-2012, 03:40 PM
As a hit and run Turker, I do the penny hits to keep stats up. A good day for me is $3-5 dollars, but that's as I only pop in for 5-10 minutes at a time while doing my job from the home office. Still, I'll only do ones that take a few seconds to do. There aren't many, but there are 4-5 requesters that take me less than 5-10 seconds a hit and have never rejected me. For me it's about the keeping the stats up just in case.

mrstorres
06-04-2012, 09:59 AM
I am doing penny hits to get up over 1000 to qualify for more hits.

Nyxalinth
06-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I did a couple (exactly 2) penny hits today because overall, I was really scraping the bottom of the barrel to even get to 20 hits today. I saw lot's of translations/stuff in foreign languages, hits not worth the time/money ratio, TOS violation stuff, and not much I qualified for. Slow day all around. But I was determined to get my minimum of 20, so I did two of them. That's the only time I'll bother.

miyhaka
06-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I do penny hits regularly, I can't say I liked them because I don't, but they're like my "go-to" tasks. I guess it all goes down to what you think you're time is worth. There are good penny hits out there but the good ones disappears very quickly. The main reason why I do penny hits was to reach 1000 hits, now that I've reach that goal I'm gonna be more picky regarding hits. I also accept the fact that as long as there's someone willing to work for 2$/hr some of this very low paying are here to stay.

BoomMike - Banned
06-23-2012, 10:42 PM
I cannot get into the Penny Hits... even if I needed to "bulk up" my stats, I'd much rather spend that time making more money on higher paying HITs.

ursalita
06-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I did a bunch (over 100) penny HITs today to get my count up. I never would have bothered since it doesn't seem worth the $$ but there is the benefit of being ever closer to 1000 HITs approved.

spamgirl
07-02-2012, 11:45 AM

Hi, I'm Bob the requester! I am thinking I need to save some money, so I'm going to post on mTurk. Hmm, how much should I pay? Well, most HITs on mTurk appear to be for pennies, so I'll go with that. Let's post my work for 1 cent. Yes, that's $1.50/hour, but that's what everyone else is paying, and I see their HITs going down. Let's give it a whirl!

Oh, yay! My HITs are getting done too! Why would anyone be dumb enough to post HITs for a fair wage on here? Apparently, even good, English-speaking, well-educated workers are happy to do my HITs for a single penny! I'm so glad that slave labor is available in the US after all! I'm going to tell my buddies who already post here to lower the prices they're paying - why not? Look how well it's working for me! Soon enough, we'll all be paying $1.50 per hour! Yay for requesters! I'm going to go get in my Mercedes now and drive home to my McMansion.

Remember, "Oscar Smith" is actually LinkedIn. If they can do it for pennies, why not every other requester?

JamesBJames - closed
07-02-2012, 12:29 PM
Good, but you forgot the part where Bob says, "I heard workers were complaining about money, so I've put 3 similar HITs together for double the pay."

Nyxalinth
07-02-2012, 03:39 PM
My thread on hits got moved and I can't see it anymore, but I will say again that I really, really try to avoid one penny hits. It's just like spamgirl said two posts up. LinkedIn is calling itself Oscar Smith so they can be cheap bastards and pay a crap rate. It's pathetic. All that money, and they feel a need to be Scrooges.

brandyh29
07-02-2012, 03:40 PM
My thread on hits got moved and I can't see it anymore, but I will say again that I really, really try to avoid one penny hits. It's just like spamgirl said two posts up. LinkedIn is calling itself Oscar Smith so they can be cheap bastards and pay a crap rate. It's pathetic. All that money, and they feel a need to be Scrooges.

That's because there seems to be an abundance of people willing to do those crap hits. If people stopped doing them, they wouldn't have much of a choice but to raise pay. I know it will never happen, but still.

BoomMike - Banned
07-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I can barely justify doing anything below a quarter these days...

hyperi
07-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions for penny hits that are quick and have a good TO? I can't seem to find any penny HITs that take as little time as I'd like.

I recently had some rejections and would like to get my approval % up.

Thanks all!

izshadow
07-04-2012, 09:19 PM
I'd rather make some money then no money at all. YaY to increasing my approval rate and YaY to a few extra pennies in my pocket that I didnt have before. Your already sitting there so why not!!! :D