PDA

View Full Version : CrowdFlower Reports Revenue up 300% over last year

Project 2501
02-07-2012, 06:38 PM
CrowdFlower Reports Revenue increased 300% in the last year.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120207005761/en/CrowdFlower-Reports-Revenue-300-Year-Year-300

February 07, 2012 08:00 AM Eastern Time
CrowdFlower Reports Revenue of 300% Year Over Year and More Than 300 Million Enterprise Level Crowdsourced Microtasks Completed, Earning #1 Rank in Industry

SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--CrowdFlower, the leader in enterprise-level crowdsourced microtasks, is now reporting revenue of 300% year over year and 300 million completed tasks for enterprise clients including eBay, Microsoft, and Twitter. These numbers earned the company a #1 ranking among industry leaders by an independent news agency. The news is also relevant in relation to Facebook’s recent IPO filing, which reported half a billion dollars in revenue generated by virtual goods in 2011 – including gamers performing microtasks through CrowdFlower.

- In 2011, millions of tasks were performed for virtual goods in Facebook games, with CrowdFlower contributors performing real work (such as sentiment analysis and categorization) for virtual goods or other rewards.

Jazz
02-07-2012, 08:21 PM
CrowdFlower Reports Revenue increased 300% in the last year.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120207005761/en/CrowdFlower-Reports-Revenue-300-Year-Year-300

Oh my...........:o

sparky32
02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Maybe we should ask for a raise.

Diablery
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
or stop doing work for shit pay

c0rtez
02-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I was more amazed by the number 300 million. That just seems like so much. But I'm going to have to agree with sparky :D.

dblandon
02-07-2012, 10:17 PM
You'd almost think they could afford to pay their workers more! I still don't work for them out of principle.

Obfuscated
02-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Hisssss.

Glad I've never actually finished more than...one? two, maybe? of their stupid HITs. And now I never will.

Mac
02-07-2012, 10:49 PM
Wow that's a lot of cheddar... good for them IMHO. I try not to hate, even when I'm feeling really really jealous =)

shakti
02-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I haven't done any of their hits ins a long time. I feel bad for the people who do their low paying hits as Crowdflower walks on their backs up to that $$$. Don't they also post work elsewhere too?

But then, a lot of the work on Mturk could do with a reward hike, so.

A2-D2
02-07-2012, 11:38 PM
Don't they also post work elsewhere too?

They do. Sometimes, if I'm out somewhere and I see that they have one of their really easy HIT batches up, the ones you can answer only by selecting radio buttons or checkboxes, I'll check to see if they're up on the Swagbucks Tasks page. I'm working my way toward a big-ticket prize on there.

kae
02-07-2012, 11:44 PM
Wow, that's crazy. And they're paying us mere pennies!

vagabund
02-08-2012, 02:39 AM
And the best part is, they think it's fair. I'm not surprised by that number, just look at their whole set up. That "Quality Control Meter", their ever so annoying "Thank you blah, blah, blah..." and other messages. They know exactly what they doing.

bunky
02-08-2012, 10:44 AM
Off topic, but I've found that the margins that some of these companies get per HIT/blog post is obscene. It's pretty ridiculous. I guess what I don't know don't hurt me. :)

ccfan
02-08-2012, 09:35 PM
If I think that the pay is insulting, I don't do it.

Simple as that.

mommyof4
02-08-2012, 11:49 PM
Some people have no choice but to do any HITs that they can.

dblandon
02-09-2012, 04:04 AM
Off topic, but I've found that the margins that some of these companies get per HIT/blog post is obscene. It's pretty ridiculous. I guess what I don't know don't hurt me. :)

I've often wondered about the profit margins on those guys, and whether I should be doing my own affiliate marketing business instead of writing blog posts for other people. I guess I just don't know where to begin...

Mac
02-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I've often wondered about the profit margins on those guys, and whether I should be doing my own affiliate marketing business instead of writing blog posts for other people. I guess I just don't know where to begin...

Yeah but working Turk is a great internship or apprenticeship to see what the "grunt" work of building an affiliate marketing business is like. Hopefully someday we can use the knowledge to start our own biz someday... and become a requester creating more HITs for the old community =)

Paulette
02-09-2012, 03:32 PM
Now I am glad I have avoided them for the most part. I did do a few surveys for them last week, for lack of anything better showing up.

Sina
02-17-2012, 12:51 PM
I tried to do one task for them last week and in the middle of the task I kept receiving an error message. Tried it again a few days later and same thing. Today they have a task that examines social media/music usage, but it is TWO parts, split up over two days and takes 1.5 hours, all for a little more than a dollar. :o No way!

savetheunlikely
02-18-2012, 03:22 AM
I absolutely refuse to do any of their work, except for the very occasional survey stuff. I can't stand the low wages they pay, and it always shocks me that people are really willing to do any work for them at all.

tjwillturk
02-18-2012, 01:42 PM
If I think that the pay is insulting, I don't do it.

Simple as that.

Yup yup. If you don't like crowdflower, which I don't, don't do their hits. Maybe if everyone stops doing their hits they will consider bumping up the pay.

savetheunlikely
02-18-2012, 02:14 PM
Yup yup. If you don't like crowdflower, which I don't, don't do their hits. Maybe if everyone stops doing their hits they will consider bumping up the pay.

sadly, there's always some fool that will sit there and make $2/hour on them. however, i have seen them raise the price on some of their HITs if you give them long enough, from $2/hour to $3/hour.

the other big problem is that they're not just on mturk - all these people that sit there and do DL stuff on facebook in return for game credits?

bayou
02-19-2012, 12:35 AM
So, being cheap pays off. Good for them, but bad for those who work for them.

The only good thing I can say about them is that they are good for newbies and for those who need to get their ratings back up after rejections because they rarely reject and they pay quickly. Unfortunately, their HITs are too time consuming to complete and not worth it after you have access to more HITs.

turker123
02-19-2012, 06:00 AM
come on Crowdflower! Start increasing the pay on your HITS!!
Its because of people like us that you guys are number 1 in your field. Give us something in return to keep you there

tjwillturk
02-19-2012, 10:13 AM
sadly, there's always some fool that will sit there and make $2/hour on them. however, i have seen them raise the price on some of their HITs if you give them long enough, from $2/hour to $3/hour.

the other big problem is that they're not just on mturk - all these people that sit there and do DL stuff on facebook in return for game credits?

I did not know that. I guess I would do DL for games on fb so I can't be mad at that, but that still does not mean DL should pay as low as they do.

shanichoe
02-20-2012, 05:38 PM
It kills me when I hear these stories of what requesters pay their workers vs. the revenue that they bring home. This is just as bad as Oscar. I need to think of a scam as well because that's what they feel like to me.

ccfan
02-22-2012, 02:57 AM
I'll let everyone in on a secret. Every company is set up like this:

Your company charges client $100 an hour.
You hire employee or independent contractor to do it for $20 an hour.

Worker makes $20 an hour doing all the work.
You make $80 an hour doing nothing.

Repeat as necessary to make more money by doing nothing.

TaraRoys
06-24-2012, 09:24 AM
Ugh. I tried to do one of their stupid HITs: the "Answer Pharmaceutical Questions" hit. God that was stupid. They wanted me to read two pages of research material and answer questions about it for 5 cents. It took me 10 minutes and they rejected three of my answers. See, they're hits are really well-designed, but their pay is such crap that I feel stupid for doing it.

turkeynation
07-02-2012, 04:39 AM
not a surprise.. they keep all the profits and give us 5 minute tasks for 3 cents

JamesBJames - closed
07-02-2012, 06:33 AM
No one's mentioned that revenue =/= profits?

lolabear
07-02-2012, 10:45 AM
since I am new I have a ton of them avail but they always seem too much work for the amount of money. I have done some lower paying hits but there were quick and easy.

SunnyD
07-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Ugh! Makes me sick. I used to do their hits on other sites too before switching to Mturk where I could make "more" at them. The pay is still too low. I try to avoid their hits unless it is a good one. You just learn which ones those are.

hayd3nd
07-07-2012, 03:15 AM
Ouch. I want my raise, now! ...although I only do tasks for them occasionally, I would definitely do more if they paid better!

quizno
07-17-2012, 09:40 PM
For me this looks like a great opportunity.

I'm going to keep my eye on the company and hope they go public at some point in the near future.

Take your mturk cash and reinvest it in a company whose business plan you understand. No better way to invest.

eddypoe
07-18-2012, 07:47 AM
I'll let everyone in on a secret. Every company is set up like this:

Your company charges client $100 an hour.
You hire employee or independent contractor to do it for $20 an hour.

Worker makes $20 an hour doing all the work.
You make $80 an hour doing nothing.

Repeat as necessary to make more money by doing nothing.

It ain't a secret, ccfan, though 20% might be a tad extreme - when I was in business, my target was 38% of gross revenue for workforce. Typically, after all other expenses, I would net 10-15%, and it was not for doing nothing - I wish. But maybe I was too nice of a guy...

Back to CrowdFlower - they have a new Dashboard up - or is it not new and I just never saw it before? What do you guys think about that? Worth signing up, or pass?

Earnest Worker
08-20-2012, 12:22 PM
A tad change to a famous saying - "Hard work and low pay, is no way to spend your day."

Crowdflower has amplified it's revenues by allowing workers to waste their time doing a ton of work for a few pennies. We all know this. Don't waste your time, unless of course wasting time is your forte.

spowers88
08-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Crowdflower really, ugh.

Rachellewms
08-20-2012, 05:57 PM
From what I can see so far, I agree with almost everyone else ....I hope this means that they will raise the pay for their hits.

russ43015
09-16-2012, 05:45 AM
It seems CrowdFlower has a bad reputation. It seems best to avoid them.

kungfujoe94
09-16-2012, 12:42 PM
I've done a few of their HITs. I'm new to all of this and I don't qualify for much, it seems. Now that I've seen this, I'll be more selective on my every-shrinking availability list. :(

Amentius
09-17-2012, 12:59 AM
They have figured a way, as have other groups, to benefit and profit off mturk.
They take on clients who pay them x amount of dollars to set up hits. That is why the large variety of hits as well as needs. I avoid them. Back in the day they at least had a few selective, good bonus hits.
Now, they are like any other crap on mturk to be avoided. It's low pay for to much involved work. Well at least in my opinion

Opturkon
09-22-2012, 03:42 AM
I can't hate on them too much because they approved my first 50 HITs or so. It was a safe place to start. Although I have not looked back on them since due to the uselessly low pay rates. They basically just circumvent labor laws (minimum wage) to produce all of that massive revenue.

ewd76
10-01-2012, 09:51 PM
The ones I've done for them were tiny 5 minute hits for a few pennies, but they have paid.

---------- Post added at 01:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 AM ----------

They basically just circumvent labor laws (minimum wage) to produce all of that massive revenue.

Isn't that pretty much what MTurk is for?

at2013
10-01-2012, 11:03 PM
Sometimes they have decent paying, very short HITs. But they're rare, so rare you have to jump on them like a lion on a gazelle in the African bush.