PDA

View Full Version : Mturk burn out?

mimic20
01-25-2012, 03:07 AM
Any of you ever get real burned out from mturk and find it hard to get back in the groove? I used to do around 1300 hits a day, but lately can't bring myself to do any. I really need to start small just to get the ball rolling I think.

Fuinernel
01-25-2012, 03:39 AM
Me too- I've been slacking off this week and I really need to get back in the groove. Hopefully, I can get a good start tomorrow and keep it going- for after all, tomorrow is another day.

mykill86
01-25-2012, 03:41 AM
wow 1300 a day!!!!

Kaieri
01-25-2012, 05:43 AM
I get like that occasionally. There's only so much repetitive work I can do before my motivation drops. I just take a day or two off, and then I'm ready to go again.

Hollie - Closed
01-25-2012, 06:51 AM
I am in the same boat. I have been forcing myself to work when what I really need is a day without HITS, rejections, dashboards, surveys, and every other crazy thing. I love turking, but man does it wear your brain out.

mtcatoctin - closed
01-25-2012, 07:12 AM
Yes, then I remind myself that generations of women work/have worked as typists. Type, type, type, coffee break, type, type, lunch break. Rinse, repeat. Compare Mad Men. Job's a job I guess.

snowkai246
01-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Seeing how there's not much action on Sundays, I'm thinking of taking those days off from turking straight up.

coolcat
01-25-2012, 09:24 AM
Wow you are doing great at 1300 hits a day. I cannot even bring myself to do that many. The most I have done in one day is around 400 and that is not my usual average. It depends on the hit to me, if it pays good I'll hang in there, but if its a bad day for turking, I'm probably glancing off on other websites. To not get burned out I try to work Mturk during the weekdays and whatever I make on the weekends is just extra money. It seems to help for me.:)

EMfromOZ
01-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Take a day off to recuperate & do something fun! (not chores/errands) and if you still can't get back in the groove, take baby steps to do just a few HITs or tell yourself you only have to do it for 15 minutes, then give yourself permission to quit (ala flylady's advice on flylady.net). :vacation:
There's not only mental burn out but also you need to be aware of chance of repetitive motion injury, so be careful out there in turkland.

Mariposa
01-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Seeing how there's not much action on Sundays, I'm thinking of taking those days off from turking straight up.

I would recommend it. Sunday is my day off from turking, and I'd be sooo burnt out during the week if it wasn't. There's not much work anyway, so might as well just take the day off.

GnomyRose
01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
I tend to get burnt out if I do large numbers in one day. I've noticed that whenever I have a big day money-wise, it tends to be followed by either a day off or a significantly lower amount.

Hollie - Closed
01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I love flylady!! Great comment Em.

tjwillturk
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM
I am currently burnt out too. I have not been able to do any hits the past few days. I don't know if it is because school started back or what, but I can't seem to get that turk mojo back.

pickupapenny
01-25-2012, 02:10 PM
I am currently burnt out too. I have not been able to do any hits the past few days. I don't know if it is because school started back or what, but I can't seem to get that turk mojo back.

(Looks at avatar) Maybe it's that crack you've been smoking :D

piggycow
01-25-2012, 02:18 PM
Can't imagine many people could consistently do that much without getting burnt out eventually. Maybe just try to ease in with more relaxing ones for awhile until you get re-addicted.

jumpingRabbit
01-25-2012, 02:21 PM
I can't seem to get going myself.. I had a brief glut and after the slow down I can't seem to find the inspiration...

gabby354
01-25-2012, 02:53 PM
1300! Wow! I get antsy if I do one thing too long, such as too many surveys or too many coding Hits. I always want to jump around. Sometimes I even get the urge to *gasp* do more housework. When I'm turking I'm thinking of cleaning windows, and when I'm cleaning windows I'm thinking of the money I could be making turking.

misterblah
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Some days I'm pretty envious of people with salary jobs who don't have to worry about speed or quotas as much.

shakti
01-25-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm having a weird burnout problem--it just seems that work is so scant and goes so quickly that I'm thinking of throwing it in.

misterblah
01-25-2012, 03:32 PM
-it just seems that work is so scant and goes so quickly

I know what you mean. It's becoming a game of luck just to get some decent hits sometimes. Basically adds time on to our "work" for having to wait around for it and snatch it.

purplestarfishx
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I don't really experience that. I'd turk everyday if I could. Turking is somewhat of an addiction for me. :P

shakti
01-25-2012, 05:34 PM
I know what you mean. It's becoming a game of luck just to get some decent hits sometimes. Basically adds time on to our "work" for having to wait around for it and snatch it.

That's what I like the least. I feel like it's a rushing game all the time lately. It's good when there are good hits to take your time with, but when there aren't it's just ridiculous.

Paulette
01-25-2012, 05:43 PM

I haven't found enough work to get burned out on!

I horse around and do some surveys and what not, waiting for something decent to come along.

aebaum91
01-25-2012, 06:51 PM
I get burn out on occasion since this is my full-time work. I try to take off at least one day a week, or I'll take it very slow that day and just make $10 or so in my down time. Taking breaks for coffee and small chores throughout the day helps me not get too burnt out. Some days you've just got to force yourself to take a break from it all - I call them my mental health days. :)

tjwillturk
01-25-2012, 07:01 PM
(Looks at avatar) Maybe it's that crack you've been smoking :D

haha you might have a point there.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

I haven't found enough work to get burned out on!
I horse around and do some surveys and what not, waiting for something decent to come along.

That is another problem I run into too. I get back from school some days ready to do some turkin, and I can't find any hits worth while.

Obfuscated
01-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I used to do around 1300 hits a day, but lately can't bring myself to do any.

Yeesh. Most I've ever done in one day was 484 HITs...earning a whopping $13.33.

This could never be a full-time job for me. I just cannot see how it would be possible, although I have massive respect for the people who can manage it.

lexiemom
01-25-2012, 09:29 PM
I've definitely had this problem. Like a previous poster said, days where I have big earnings are generally followed by slacker days. I think part of that is my mindset is a bit of, well I made enough yesterday, so it's OK if I skate by today. lol. And yesterday, there was just a lot of stress and nonsense in my personal life, so I had a really hard time focusing. But I made up for it somewhat today. Thank goodness I had a little cushion for rent money. ;)

kella
01-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Any of you ever get real burned out from mturk and find it hard to get back in the groove? I used to do around 1300 hits a day, but lately can't bring myself to do any. I really need to start small just to get the ball rolling I think.

WOWZA! 1300 a day! Holy-moly -no wonder there's a bit of burnout. And I was all proud yesterday finally hitting 1000 (all-time total).

iambatman85
01-25-2012, 11:12 PM
I stopped just after christmas with all the parties and just havent been able to get back into it

meman13
01-25-2012, 11:54 PM
All the time, Use to make 20 to 40 bucks a day turking, But after doing part time work for 15$ an hour I can hardly get my self to do 10 bucks a day lol

stienbabe
01-25-2012, 11:59 PM
I think it's partly the Januaries catching up with me. It's so gloomy and dark and miserable that it's hard to get motivated.

snowkai246
01-26-2012, 08:03 AM
I stopped just after christmas with all the parties and just havent been able to get back into it
With me it was sort of the opposite. I'm not the "party" type, so I took advantage of everyone's holiday increased pay amounts. Some of the norm $0.05 hits for some requesters went up to $0.40/$0.50 each the week between Christmas & New Years. Like mentioned before, it could be the winter/weather this month.

beckyp
01-26-2012, 08:40 AM
I was in a real groove before Christmas, but I had the kids' Christmas wish list pushing me to do more and more and more. Then I got the notice for the property taxes that are past due. That got me motivated once again. Then my dumbass husband took out a loan against his 401K plan without me knowing. I was lucky to intercept the check and snooped through his email to find out that he was planning on picking up a $4,000 ATV on Friday. Here I am busing my ass to try to make enough money to pay for the taxes when he had more than enough taken out for his toy.

NOW I am suffering from burnout because the more I work the more HE spends. Does not make me feel like doing much of anything. So YES I do suffer from burnout...but for a different reason than others.

Obfuscated
01-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Wow, beckyP...so why do you give this idiot access to money, again?

motlehh
01-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Usually, I get burned out in the middle of my Turking day. I can't afford to really "take a break" from Turking altogether, so I always do at least some HITs. But Thursdays and Fridays are the days when I try to crank out at least $100 in a day, and that tends to burn me out BIG time. Right now, I'm about an hour away from my goal, and I needed to come here to get a break! I find that usually helps, but sometimes I just have to accept that I don't have it in me to hit my goal for the day.

cemoore1971
01-26-2012, 05:03 PM
I get burned out when I see it takes a long time for the money to add up. I feel like I am not being productive or it is just slow.

furby76
01-26-2012, 05:07 PM
I seem to cringe every time I refresh the hit page today I am sooo not feeling it today but I sooo need the money.

beckyp
01-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Wow, beckyP...so why do you give this idiot access to money, again?

LOL...I really don't like the fact that he has access..but it is his retirement account that I do not have any access to. Might have to cancel his debit card again though.

snowkai246
01-26-2012, 05:22 PM
LOL...I really don't like the fact that he has access..but it is his retirement account that I do not have any access to. Might have to cancel his debit card again though.
We didn't see anything :shutup:

beckyp
01-26-2012, 06:16 PM
We didn't see anything :shutup:

Good...very, very good!! Thanks!!

shakti
01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
I seem to cringe every time I refresh the hit page today I am sooo not feeling it today but I sooo need the money.

Same here. I have to make $300 by Monday for something unexpected and....it could be going better.

lphillips1 - closed
01-26-2012, 06:23 PM
One thing that keeps me motivated is many people have to do far worse to make a living than turking all day. I know quite few people who are working some very shitty jobs just to make ends meet. They are pretty miserable and dread going to work each day. That thought alone helps me out a great deal. One guy I know has to wake up at 3:30 am every day to make an hour commute for a job that starts at 6 am and ends at 3 pm. The work is unbelieveably hard.

If you get burn out, think about what that guy has to go through for a job that pays shit but demands so much. Hope it helps.

shakti
01-26-2012, 06:29 PM
One thing that keeps me motivated is many people have to do far worse to make a living than turking all day.

That actually makes me feel worse, because I KNOW I'm just being whiny. I too know people whose work situations are dangerous, difficult, and extremely stressful. More than one of them works double shifts every weekend and I can't even get my act together to work a full 8 hours on Turk without going bonkers?

Makes me think I'm lazy, and a loser, and that is not a comfortable feeling.

lphillips1 - closed
01-26-2012, 06:31 PM
I know the feeling, I have blown off work for a number of different reasons. More often than not, the reasons are just excuses. This does not make us losers, but means we need to get our priorites back in line and in time that uncomfortable feeling will go away.

cyndyg
01-26-2012, 10:55 PM
I agree. I come home from my day job and think I'll just do an hour or so and end up working for hours. It's easy to get burnt out. I do mostly surveys and some writing hits once in a while. I've been having a hard time finding enough hits lately, I need to branch out.

mimic20
01-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Yea it's been a struggle. I've been slowly getting back into the groove. Going to try to do around 100 hits a day until i can build myself back up. I was on a roll before the holidays, then it just all went down hill lol. The 1300 hits I was doing sounds like a lot (it is), but it was only around $40-$45 a day.

kae
01-29-2012, 08:35 PM
I get like this every so often, especially on the weekends when there is little to work with. For me, I don't think it's burn out so much as not learning the ropes yet and getting frustrated. I'm hoping that, once I have a nice list of Requesters that I like and am good at, that I will be better at working consistently.

drama108
01-30-2012, 02:45 AM
I can't imagine doing 1300 a day! I did 76 hits yesterday and felt drained! LOL. I've been turking as much as possible these past few days and I think I am starting to burn out. But at the same time, I can't bring myself to stop. I keep telling myself, "one last hit" but then I keep going.

RobertHope
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I wake up and try to do one but just can't bring myself to starting it.

mturkettante
02-02-2012, 10:48 PM
I find some days, I worry about mturk and hits. Those are the burnout days, better for me when I just do a few (15-40 HITS), earn my 5.00 a day (or more like 7.00 with some experience, and hopefully 10.00 with more experience). I remind myself of my goals, this is to stretch my money not to buy myself a new fancy laptop. But not perfect, I spent a bunch of time virtual shopping for a laptop today.

work4turk
02-02-2012, 11:14 PM
I took the whole month of December off from turking. But this is only because I had faith in all of you's to right the ship if something went wrong. It was a test, and you all passed brilliantly. For your reward, [Edited: Please do not share requesters or hits in Mturk General]

reliantfc3
02-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Yeah, I certainly go through phase too. Lately there haven't been many of the hits I like anyway, so it's sort of an enforced break, heh.

mykill86
02-03-2012, 01:26 AM
I don't understand how some of you'll can do 1300 a day. I just did the most for me at 300 today and I feel completely drained. :( Much props to you'll that can! You'll are my heroes!!!

bridges6898
02-03-2012, 01:43 AM
I have the opposite problem. I am trying to stop doing hits. I have to force myself just to take time to eat. It is hard to pull myself away when there is an abundance of work that I like. I remember very well the days when it seems like there is nothing at all to do.

kathylagare
02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
Maybe we should form an addictions group. I take self-imposed breaks for a few months every once in a while. It's really easy to keep saying, "Just one more and I'll stop," but it's as addictive as eating those salted honey peanuts.:)

work4turk
02-03-2012, 02:00 AM
I remember very well the days when it seems like there is nothing at all to do.

The MTurk Depression!

RarelyScene
02-03-2012, 07:19 AM
When I get that way I like to do some strenuous exercise... something that will really take my breath away for about an hour. With a treadmill its pretty easy, I run it at 3.3 mph @ 10% incline and walk for 45-55 mins, twice a day for a couple of days. It really helps me a lot in the psychology department and burns off a few calories I suppose.

slund
02-03-2012, 08:04 AM
How on earth do you do 1300 hits a day? I get nervous just doing 2 or 3 a day. LOL I have such a fear of getting banned. I think I am way to nervous about it, to actually work the job.

mtnsurf - banned
02-04-2012, 04:33 PM
I pused and did 7000 m-f this week and I just cant imagen doing any todays. Sucks Im sure I could make a couple of bucks but I just dont wanna.

bromeliad
02-04-2012, 05:12 PM
I don't understand how some of you'll can do 1300 a day. I just did the most for me at 300 today and I feel completely drained. :( Much props to you'll that can! You'll are my heroes!!!

Who said a willingness to grind rats, bats or wolves for 1 XP to level a RPG character wasn't a transferable skill?:breaktime:

HAdrian1239
02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
I just did 500 hits for a certain requester since they posted a boat-load and I was up at the crack of dawn to get deep into the batch before they ran out... but now I am wondering if I want to go for another $50 today or leave it be.

I can see how people burn out... but for me, I wish my favs would post big batches of work like this more often. I didn't really want to turk today, but I just checked in by chance, and got really excited knowing my potential to make $$ so I couldn't help myself.

gabby354
02-04-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm pretty sure I hit a wall today. It's been a good week for me, but today while DH is working I keep wandering off when I know I need to be on mturk.

dblandon
02-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I've found myself burning out sometimes over individual tasks, but not Turking in general. For instance, if I have to write another article recommending travel destinations, my head will probably turn to jelly.

Carebear
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
I have a weekly goal, if I hit it then I try and take either Saturday and/or Sunday off. I worked mega in December on a big project for one of my favorite requestors, made a tonne doing it but didn't get to spend hardly any time with my family. Now I'm trying to have at least one day off a week or I just get sick of it and spend more time hitting the refresh button than the submit Hit one lol. You don't work 7 days a week in full time employment so my theory is you shouldn't here either (if you can avoid it).

kae
02-05-2012, 12:07 AM
I don't think I'm feeling burned out at the moment so much as discouraged. It's difficult to find HITs that are worth the money, that I can do quickly, and that are worth my time. I know that when I finally unlock the other part of the board, plus reach 1000 HITs, that things will get better. Right now, I spend so much time searching for HITs that I'm not bringing in very much money. I know everyone pretty much starts out this way, though, and I need to "just keep swimming" until I really get the hang of everything.

maroonedspaz
02-05-2012, 03:10 AM
I feel the same way too Kae it's hard for me to find good hits. I still have trouble locating good hits.

deemturk
02-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I've been burned out for a couple of months now. I had some personal issues as well as computer issues and then got slammed at work. Once I broke the Mturk habit, I have found it impossible to get back into the groove.

norvie
02-07-2012, 02:11 PM
I gave myself a week off. I had to do it. I was getting so burned out and had a lot to do. It was frazzle city for me if I didn't. I am slowly getting back into the groove, but notice that there are definitely tasks with which I am still experiencing burn out. Just taking it one day at a time right now. I think sitting at a computer doing robotic work with little interaction gets to me - drains me.

c0rtez
02-07-2012, 03:06 PM
Ah, I see Sunday's are slow. Was worried when I wasn't finding anything that I really felt like doing. As far as getting burnt out goes. I did 570+ hits in a one time sitting where all I was doing was googling something then copy+pasting it for a hit. I was definitely done with those type of hits for the day lol. I find that I can keep going for a long time as long as I keep a decent variation in the type of hits I'm doing.

HeavenDenied
02-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Amen to that! :D

Who said a willingness to grind rats, bats or wolves for 1 XP to level a RPG character wasn't a transferable skill?:breaktime:

dblandon
02-11-2012, 04:08 PM
I took the past few days off. I'm getting ready to shoot my last thesis film, which involves handling far more of someone else's money than I'll ever be comfortable with, managing a whole ton of people, and relearning how to shoot black and white film. I've had to cram hundreds of hours of preproduction into the past week or so, so I really don't have time to be Turking :/

I'm still going to try and do some HITs today, but soon I will be done shooting it! It's exciting, because it's the last major thing standing between graduation and me, so once I'm done, I'm done. I missed you guys though, so I had to come back here ;)

Squarix1 - Closed
03-01-2012, 10:34 PM
Yes, I do. Especially when I think about how little we make, and how 1/3 of all of that goes to taxes. Damn. :(

kathylagare
03-20-2012, 01:06 AM
I usually take a month or two off, here and there, to let the hands heal. I don't know how you guys can do 1300 hits a day, that's crazy! Kudos to you for your fortitude. :D

turker88
03-20-2012, 02:11 AM
I know I'm burnt out when I fall asleep in the middle of a HIT and it expires on me.

Dan
03-20-2012, 08:37 AM
I'm a full time student, and I'm just finishing up midterms, so lately the last thing I've wanted to do is more work. So yeah, my turking has slowed down quite a bit recently.

lizj97
03-20-2012, 08:44 AM
I am sure MTurk is like any other job and one can certainly get burned out. The key for me is moderation and changing up requesters to make it more interesting.

azurikai
03-20-2012, 10:23 AM
i haven't even been doing it like you have and i still find myself burning out because it gets boring :/ i can't even find 1300 HITs to do!

reindeerz
03-20-2012, 02:39 PM
I was doing it "full time" last summer, but worked on other projects the last few months. I'm ready to get back into the game though. Sad to find I lost my status here though. :P

bayou
03-20-2012, 02:58 PM
I can't imagine ever having enough focus to do 1300 HITs a day because I struggle to do 100 a day. My goal is to try to build up to an even 500 day, but I seem to be stuck at the 200 HIT range.

ctcothran
03-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I just realized that I haven't been on MTurk in three days. Guess burnout is hitting me as well.

wittking9
03-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Burn out can happen to anyone. A couple of ways to avoid it is to give yourself regular breaks. Give yourself a reward when you hit a goal (ex: When I make $10 I will watch tv for 30 mins or something similar to that). Keep yourself motivated and set realistic goals. Something that I do is when I am felling burnout I open up my budget and take a look at my student loan that I am so close to paying off. It gets me motivated to keep on turking. Hope that helps someone out there.

Streiph
03-20-2012, 09:43 PM
In anything, you have to make sure you don't overextend yourself; there's only so much energy you can spend on something! Much better to work at a slower, more sustainable pace.

But anyway....1300 is a lot. I can't even do 100/day...partially because I have no idea where to find that many HITs that don't have insultingly low pay, and partially because I don't have enough discipline.

brandyh29
03-21-2012, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't say I'm burned out. More like discouraged. On a normal day I make $15-$20. I have had a few days where I made almost $30 but those are rare. I know some people on here make $50 a day, but I cannot even come close to that. The more I do work Turk, the more I realize that it is not something to rely on for a steady income. It seems the decent paying hits all either have quals that I can't get, or get snatched up before I can make any real money. Kudos to anybody that can do this full-time, but I know I sure can't.

erod429
03-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I know that whenever I am feeling real burned out, I take a day off. I call it a mental health day lol

chicory
03-22-2012, 08:11 AM
I've been really burnt out too, really haven't turked much in the last week. But decided to give myself permission to slack off and I know I will be back to it soon. As soon as I'm broke that is LOL

revos
03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
^Same. I haven't made as much in the past week or so. It gets tiresome just looking for work to do.

jgill328
03-22-2012, 07:27 PM
I always have to take a break and go hiking for a day or something. I know I am losing money, but it makes me more refreshed for the next day of HITs.

iheartpolkadots
03-22-2012, 10:42 PM
I totally understand this! I have been a member of mturk for over 4 years and go through periods where im doing hits all the time, then none at all for months.

julesverne
03-22-2012, 11:30 PM
1300 HITs a day is, well all I can say is, WOW. I think the most I ever did was maybe a few hundred. I prefer to do higher paying HITs so of course those take more time. I do feel burned out though. Especially when I am editing certain things. It is always nice to learn new information, which I do when I am editing writing HITs. I have learned quite a bit of medical information I never knew about before!

sirotis2004
03-25-2012, 12:08 PM
Yeah I have been only doing the good writing HITs for about a month now. You are right that there is usually nothing on Sundays. Sometimes there is a big batch posted on Friday that will carry through the weekend, but that is not the norm. I have been using that time to search around and see what new requesters are out there, but those days I have to grind to even get to $5. Maybe that should be my day off. But I am so afraid I will miss something great---oh well.

mpmckinney
04-11-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow. I'm feeling MTurk burnout right now and I only do about $5 or so a day. Apparently I need more sleep...

cmow5 - closed
04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I thought I was the only one like this. Nice to know I have company. I am coming off a break of a like six months and I think my longest one was like 2 years lol.

brandyh29
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
I took the majority of last week off from Amazon, my kids were home all week for Spring Break. I worked maybe 2 hours total last week and I am having a HARD time getting back in my groove!!

ThatPoshGirl
04-11-2012, 08:06 PM
I burn out every day around 2pm.

JohnsAwesome
04-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I can't believe so many of you do hundreds of hits a day! I can barely get 20 done!

panyi42
04-12-2012, 12:38 AM
I'm also like JohnsAwesome, get burned out easily; I do work full time besides turking. New to both Mturk and this forum, although time spent on this forum is well worth the time. :)

getenough
04-12-2012, 02:07 AM
I burned out in December. I took January and February, and came back in March when I needed the money. I am so burnt out. Add to that stress, and not sleeping more than 4-5 hours a night, for weeks at a time, I am surprised I still feeling ok. Lately I feel real dizzy and shaky, so I think I need to start sleeping again lol.

dblandon
04-12-2012, 05:14 AM
I was burned out, but recently necessity has driven me back here. I forgot how good it felt, and am quickly getting back into it. Funny what a great motivator an empty bank account can be.

bribri287
04-12-2012, 03:29 PM
I would recommend it. Sunday is my day off from turking, and I'd be sooo burnt out during the week if it wasn't. There's not much work anyway, so might as well just take the day off.
I do the same thing Sundays is basically my day off.

snickers495
04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
I can only turk on weekends, but I'm actually kind of scared to go back to turking. I want to go crazy and do tons of hits, but I don't want to sit at my computer for six hours writing. My 5 month hiatus was enough to make me come back though...

bestway
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I recently experienced my first burn out. It's lasted for over 3 weeks. I'm now trying to get back into it because I know it's worth staying with it.

Goatus
04-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Whenever I get burned out on clicking a bubble asking if i feel shamed or happy I take a turking break for a few days and come back refreshed.

Dan
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm in the same situation myself. I haven't done much of anything for the past week.

Fade
04-13-2012, 02:31 AM
||||||||||

Rob79
04-13-2012, 10:08 PM
What kind of HITs do you do where you can manage 1300/day? How many hours is that?

folly412
04-14-2012, 06:16 PM
I took a fairly long break, from last October or so until a month ago. Part burn out, part frustrated by lack of quality hits for a few weeks, mostly lack of motivation. Have a new goal, jumped back on the wagon. ;)

gaiello750
04-14-2012, 06:27 PM
Wow, Those are great numbers! I'm lucky if I do 50 in a day!

mediamaven
04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Wow, Those are great numbers! I'm lucky if I do 50 in a day!

Same here!

miyhaka
04-15-2012, 01:18 PM
wow 1300 hits in a day that's really great. My max is 150 hits in one day and it did not happen again. I guess I have very low attention span that I cannot get myself to work two hours straight without taking like a 30 mins break or more, specially on those mindless repetitive hits. It maybe also because I haven't really found the hits that I'm comfortable yet. Usually when I'm turking I do some surveys and then some bulk hits.

aebaum91
04-15-2012, 04:32 PM
I got pretty burnt out trying to make ends meet on MTurk. Now I do a different WAH job, but I'm still Turking daily in VERY small amounts and dropping by the forum, of course. I think my burn out has faded a bit, so I may pick up the pace again soon.

kauthor
04-16-2012, 01:52 AM
I was burned out for a few weeks now, but now I am back in ACTION!

johnsmith
04-16-2012, 09:24 AM
I think it's a lot easier to feel burnt out when you have a hard time finding HITs that you like. Since coming back, I've been a little disinterested, if not burnt out. That feeling will periodically go away when I get a good survey (which I tend to not mind). I'm trying to avoid grinding myself dull until I get back into the swing of things. I'm also waiting a few more days on some money that's owed to me so I can upgrade my laptop. Trying to do HITs and having your computer locking up can be MUCH more frustrating than the HITs themselves, especially if you were getting in a rhythm.

turker88
04-21-2012, 06:32 AM
I plan some time-off when I feel myself burning out. I usually set a $ goal to reach by a certain date, then when I reach it, I stop for a little while. This has always helped me renew my enthusiasm for mTurking.

swampgirl
04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
I was a little burnt out today. It's easier to get into it when I'm not stressing about my money goal. I also like to take a little break in between long stretches of HITS

sirotis2004
04-21-2012, 11:36 PM
I've had a couple of months of good HITs and about a week of absolutely fantastic HITs. So today when things are going through a slow spell I have a hard time getting motivated to do anything. I think from now on when I see that a particular day is going that way I will just do something else rather than spend all day searching. I am sure there is something I need to do around the house.

JavaJoy
04-25-2012, 07:53 PM
1300 a day?!?!? Wow. My wrist hurts just READING about that. :o I had a $20 day once and told myself not to expect it again anytime soon ... seems like that would be surefire self-sabatoge. DO you expect to do that many HITs most days? And is that realistic? If so ... I'd like to know your secret!

Zanarias
04-26-2012, 09:21 AM
I don't know how some people are pulling that many honestly, but it's fairly easy to get over $30 in a couple hours, even being new. Obviously some people are pulling in even more than that in shorter time spans, so I dunno.

misterblah
04-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I usually don't even do the kind of work that causes instant burn out so it's not really an issue. Of course finding good work is an issue lol.

nab911
04-26-2012, 12:40 PM
Since I am just getting into this I don't feel burn out. I take breaks regularly but I could see somewhere down the road just losing it and not wanting to turk at all.

JamesBJames - closed
04-26-2012, 01:27 PM
Since I do it so intermittently, I haven't really felt any burnout yet. I can certainly see where it might stem from, however.

tsukiakarinoshita
04-26-2012, 01:45 PM
I think it's a lot easier to feel burnt out when you have a hard time finding HITs that you like.

This. I also tend to get burnt out the day after a heavy day. Recently, for example, I've had to do 14-25 edit HITS to hit my daily goal, whereas I used to maybe do 2-4 a day, total. The burnout afterwards is rough, given that they are pretty involved and can get tedious and time-consuming.

Normally, I just have to step away for 30 mins., rather than try to force my way through it. If I don't, I'm liable to just :enough: and go back to bed. :hangover:

I don't know how some people are pulling that many honestly, but it's fairly easy to get over $30 in a couple hours, even being new. Obviously some people are pulling in even more than that in shorter time spans, so I dunno.

It depends a bit on what kind of work you do, I guess. Some types are more variable than others.

JavaJoy
04-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Fairly easy? I haven't seen it yet! Mustbedoingsumthinwrong! :dontgetit:

urkstack
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I've hit such a burnout now, I do maybe a hit or two a day just to keep the chain (ala Seinfield) going.

I keep thinking of these mysterious $20 and over a day people and wonder what kind of HITs are they doing?

You start doing a $0.50 hit and 15 minutes later there you are...
Even universities are not a sure bet they can offer some truly horrid pay rates (as in $2.00 for an hour's work).

If I could figure out a way to get in solid 4 hours of work and make $20 I would be so happy, but I suppose that will have to come once I get over 1000HITs approved.

Jazz
04-27-2012, 08:55 AM
I've hit such a burnout now, I do maybe a hit or two a day just to keep the chain (ala Seinfield) going.

I keep thinking of these mysterious $20 and over a day people and wonder what kind of HITs are they doing?
You start doing a $0.50 hit and 15 minutes later there you are...
Even universities are not a sure bet they can offer some truly horrid pay rates (as in $2.00 for an hour's work).

If I could figure out a way to get in solid 4 hours of work and make $20 I would be so happy, but I suppose that will have to come once finding a few hits each dayI get over 1000HITs approved.

Urkstack - Getting over 1,000 hits will make a big difference, but getting access to the full Forum will as well (often even more of a difference). The threads you can't see yet offer a lot of insights that can help you pick and choose your requesters. In addition to tackling a few hits each day to keep the hit streak alive, make it a point to post a few posts each day in the threads available to you. The whole Forum will open up faster and you may find you can meet your goals even though it looks bleak at the moment.

Good luck - it does get better! :)

Miranda
04-27-2012, 11:57 AM
For me the biggest part of the burnout was searching for good hits. Then when I became aware of the forums that was a great help. Also turkalerts is a great site. I now have it set up so that when any of my favorite requesters post hits I get a text message. :D

JamesBJames - closed
04-27-2012, 07:41 PM
I feel some burn out if I do the same kind of hits for too long repeatedly.

JavaJoy
04-28-2012, 03:56 AM
Urkstack - Getting over 1,000 hits will make a big difference...Good luck - it does get better! :)

I didn't realize that, so thank you for pointing it out! I'm at nearly 900 so, yay, that's encouraging!

tsukiakarinoshita
04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
One thing that helps me with transcribing is sticking with one requester for a while. I used to transcribe for 4 different requesters. And I found myself spending a lot of time double-checking the style guide for the particular requester that I was working for, each HIT. Now that I'm concentrating on HITS from just one transcription requester, it's going faster for me and I feel more confident. I know it's less stressful this way, so that's a good thing, too. The only downside is that when the one you're sticking with runs out of HITS. It's tempting to jump ship to one of the other requesters ... but for now I'm going to keep concentrating on one at a time.

This. I tried to juggle verbatim and nonverbatim at the same time, early on, and it was a quick way to get burnt out. It was not worth the headaches at all, especially since my work suffered for it.

Cpcoasterfan
04-28-2012, 05:38 PM
I feel your pain, I am just now getting back into mturk after a few years because of how tired I got. I have told myself I will only turk when I am relaxing watching t.v. that way it doesn't really feel like work. For me it isn't imperative to turk, as I have a full time job, but it is nice to make extra money. Just keep at it and when you really start seeing the money you will smile and appreciate the hard work. Also as a rule of thumb I am very wary of surveys that don't tell you upfront how long it will take.

frozenpoopcup
04-29-2012, 01:57 AM
For me the biggest part of the burnout was searching for good hits. Then when I became aware of the forums that was a great help. Also turkalerts is a great site. I now have it set up so that when any of my favorite requesters post hits I get a text message. :D

Thanks for sharing the site, I wish they had an option to search for requestors on the search feature on mTurk. Instead I have to try and remember words in the hits to find the requesters I like working for.

ctcothran
04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Got my weekly status from Mturk yesterday and, while I did have some hits that were approved, I had "0" hits submitted last week! Gotta get my butt in gear!

localpinoy
05-12-2012, 02:12 AM
i recently felt burnt out since i've also been juggling a part time job....i took 2 days off turking, and just got back into the groove today. i think its good to take a break...but i hate how i just broke the streak of 2 weeks straight turking :p

JamesBJames - closed
05-12-2012, 04:30 AM
I'm starting to feel a little bit of the burn out now, honestly. Almost finished with my first month, but there are a few days where I don't want to try to retain a $10 day / avg. =/

tiredturker
05-12-2012, 08:58 AM
I try to have a few requesters that I concentrate on, when one gets too draining, I'll switch to one of the others for a day or two.

Sweetiepie112658
05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
I am feeling like that today. Burnt Out completely, totally 100% and have a cloud of depression and defeat looming over me. It too shall pass.

deemturk
05-15-2012, 08:45 PM
I was on a roll for a while -- after an extended period of burnout. However, lately I am finding it difficult to find good hits and to make much money. That is contributing to my recent feeling of burnout. I work a full-time job so I try to turk in my spare time, which cuts into my turking time. Then when I find myself only making a couple of dollars a day and maybe $10 in a week, I have to remind myself that every little bit helps.

Sweetiepie112658
05-15-2012, 08:58 PM
Yes it is the same for me as well, I work part time because that is the only amount that is budgeted into the budget by the county for my job. They have cut so many positions out that I am grateful that I have that. So I get up go in early so I can get back home and try to eat lunch real quick and hop on the computer for several hours to turk. But it is rough when it is the same hits posted all the time. But as you said every little bit helps and it truly does. So I am grateful for whatever money I make but when I see what these companies aka requester's are charging their customers and what we are getting paid for the hits, it is very discouraging at times.

iambrendalee
05-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Post-Christmas burnout hit me pretty hard. I'm just now starting to get back into turking.

stilts3
05-15-2012, 11:26 PM
I am trying to do what I can to not get burned out. Unlike a lot of people here, I have been doing this for less than a month, so there is really no reason for me to get burned out any time soon.

The only mturk goal I try to enforce on myself is to make at least SOMETHING every single day. I have had a couple days under $1, but the last four are $10+. I am extremely fortunate that this is only a hobby for me, to make a little fun money, so there is no pressure to reach any $ amount.

Sher71481
05-16-2012, 09:53 AM
I do like 5 a day and then i'm done! lol maybe i'm not finding the right HITS to keep me intrigued

Lone_Wolf
05-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Yeah, I've had more of this lately too. My usual source for finding HITs has not been delivering and most of what I find isn't high quality. I try and do a few HITs a day, but I haven't been doing what I was a month or so ago....

ccjp
05-16-2012, 10:20 AM
It's difficult for me not to get burned out, when I first started it was much harder . What really helps is taking the weekend off. My favorite requestors rarely put hits up then anyway, so I do it to save my sanity.

bigbenxxxx37
05-17-2012, 03:15 PM
I'm burned out after just a couple days. It's awesome to see the cash add up but it's such boring, tedious work.

ajmom
05-17-2012, 04:15 PM
I just reached 5000 hits yay! But I feel completely burnt out now. I think I need to take a week off or something. I even had a dream last night that all my hits got rejected and then my computer got a virus that started eating my screen. Yes, I definitely need to take a break.

aukxsona - Closed
05-19-2012, 03:19 AM
I get like that occasionally. There's only so much repetitive work I can do before my motivation drops. I just take a day or two off, and then I'm ready to go again.

I don't do nearly as many, but I respond the same way.

bigpoppapump
05-19-2012, 06:33 AM
I do get burned out occasionally doing the same HITs daily, so I have to mix it up. Knowing that I have student loans and CC bills due keeps me motivated to do as many HITs as possible. I don't need Sallie Mae hounding me.

SnoAbyss
05-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Wow, I get burned out just getting up to 100 HITs! I need more drive lol. But I do a lot of the low-paying HITS that only take a few seconds to do, I find that mixing in a survey or two lessens the burnout.

mturker938
05-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Not really burned out, just a lack of good hits and suspicious ones. I try to only do 2 or 3 hits if I don't know the requester to see if they will get accepted or rejected.

cheshir3
05-19-2012, 11:30 PM
I wouldn't say I'm feeling burnt out but I have been feeling a hit frustrated the past two days or so. I'm only at 250ish HITs so not many are open to me and it seems there's been a lack in new decent HITs recently. But I'm just gonna make myself keep plugging away so I stay in the habit of Turkish every day.

Twhylite21
05-23-2012, 01:15 AM
I take a few days off every so often just to recharge. My "job" is being a stay at home mom, so if I feel like turking is taking time away from the kids, or I feel like I *have* to do it, then I know I need a break for a bit.

MommyBree
05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
Depending on the hit, I can get burnt out easily too. I just try to keep my eye on the prize so to say! :D

thadius856
05-23-2012, 07:08 PM
Not so much burnt out, but now that I've tasted a few good hits and can't find any more, extremely frustrated staring at all the penny hits.

arksulli
05-30-2012, 04:45 PM
I used to do writing hits every single day of the week. At one point I realized that I had not had a day off in about a hundred days, not counting the time I got drug off to a wedding or the day I had the stomach flu. While the money was good it really became a chore to crank out another HIT so I started taking days off (I am taking today off in fact) and everything became a lot easier.

atomick
05-30-2012, 07:22 PM
I get bored easily doing repetitive work, so I take lots of breaks so I won't feel too tired.

DetectiveSam
05-30-2012, 08:35 PM
I've felt this way a few times. Like anything I find you don't do your best work unless you give yourself a break once in a while.

You've got to let your brain recuperate!;)

pdxrollsroyce
06-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I've faced burn out and its kicked my behind! I started out turking in 2010 and did really well in my first year, I learned the ropes and got almost $200 under my belt, and then I went back to school and started working full time so Turking was no longer about survival it was more out of boredom. Since I wasn't forcing myself to make a daily goal I got picky about what HITs I wanted to do... now days, I look for a few minutes to see if there are any interesting HITs and then I move on... maybe someday I'll get that drive back and realize that the more effort I put into it, the more I'll get back out of it!

Lcd975
06-02-2012, 01:51 AM
I wondered if this could happen to me. Now I don't feel so bad when I get a little bored or picky. I do find this site to be a motivation when I get unfocused.

katmar
06-02-2012, 03:37 AM
The responses in this thread are interesting. They're also helpful and reassuring. (I appreciate knowing it's not just me!!!)

As someone who has done a bit of independent contract work in the past, I kindasorta feel a similar 'burnout' every now and then when it comes to mturk. I push, push, push until I become exhausted.

I can only speak for myself, but I work hard in all aspects of my life and I have a great work ethic. But when I miss a great hit, want sleep, am simply not in the mood, etc., it sometimes truly makes me feel crappy and I beat myself up. I regularly have to remind myself that I am not a lazy person! :)

At the end of the day, it helps to remind myself that it's legit work and I deserve a legit break. Hits will always be missed and life will always go on. Taking time off is okay.

Like most things, the key is balance. One day I'll figure that out.

panyi42
06-02-2012, 04:23 AM
I also feel the stress of turking. When there're mindless hits available, I got bored. When there're good Hits up & I missed them, I beat myself up for it. Reading everybody's response helps. Just need to remind myself that there will always be more HITs coming every day.

nlvaughan16
06-04-2012, 12:32 AM
I don't know if i call mines burn out but i will find some really good high paying, fast paying hits and then all off a sudden they are gone and i am back to penny hits and surveys. But lately i have just got back into some hardcore turking and now i am figuring out the hits that are posted regularly and not just some temporary project. I also take several break a day because i have a 4 and 6 year old that needs some mommy entertainment throughout the day!!!

646count
06-04-2012, 01:07 AM
I agree with making sure breaks are taken. I do have goals and need to make some serious money, but one reason I'm doing mTurk is so I can have control when I work. My goal is a minimum of $5 a day and haven't had too much of a problem....until today. Not very many HITs and struggled to make a little over $3...which leads to the BURN OUT issue. Have been feeling close to burn out, so didn't work yesterday, and just a bit today. Did a lot of reading on this forum, which I consider on the job training. And took a good part of the weekend off.

Now I looking forward to hitting it hard again tomorrow.

SnoAbyss
06-04-2012, 01:13 AM
Yeah 646count I had some burnout today as well. It was an incredibly slow day :o I only made 8.94 mostly from penny-ish HITs, coming back to my computer at various times throughout the day. But from what I gather around here, that seems to be typical for weekends. But Mondays through Wednesdays are supposed to be the best days so hopefully we'll get back into the swing of things Monday :D

AngelaPerk
06-05-2012, 08:41 PM
I cannot even imagine the 1300 hits/day the original poster talked about. Holy cow. The most I have done in one day was 93! LOL I came to the forum just now specifically because I was feeling burned out. I'm pretty new to turking, so this "burn out" feeling already is really bothering me. I need to do this for my family. That's what keeps me going.

GrimReality
06-07-2012, 05:01 AM
I've gotten burnt out twice since I started. A month long break usually fixes things for me, though.

Gives me some time to enjoy the money I've earned, too. :)

Lone_Wolf
06-07-2012, 01:15 PM
I've had a couple periods of burn-out.... last one has been recently as I've been worried about my mother who had cancer surgery. She's finally out of the hospital and now in specialized nursing care. Hopefully soon she will be able to come home and I'll be feeling more like my old self and in the mood to get back doing HITs regularly.

Skye - Closed
06-07-2012, 03:32 PM
I feel frustrated as fawk because I didn't hit my new goal yesterday. So today I've been reading here, doing laundry, and doing home stuff. Haven't checked hits available even once. Yet. Maybe before bed but tomorrow's a new day and hopefully I'll feel like it first thing in the morning.

CorrieCubed
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I had some bad burnout the last month. Handling some smaller hits now but without said hits I just have not cared much.

JLN10E
06-13-2012, 06:06 PM
I have been turking for only a month or so and I am both burnt out and obsessed at the same time. I feel like I am spending way too much time at the computer looking for good hits and not making too much money yet. I feel like I am going to make myself crazy some days but yet I also cannot pull away. I really admire the people who can make some great money doing this and not devote their lives to it (if that's possible?)

Mooselander
06-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Sometimes it makes me anxious having to do so many HITs when I get home from work, but in this economy, every cent counts.

kristentheangel
06-13-2012, 10:53 PM
Mooselander, I agree that every penny counts in this economy. I do not get to substitute teach in the summer and I am relying on this money to have some spending money with my daughter for the summer.

starvirgo
06-13-2012, 11:47 PM
When I'm turking I'm thinking of cleaning windows, and when I'm cleaning windows I'm thinking of the money I could be making turking.

This is me exactly.

missamyliz
06-14-2012, 07:48 AM
I get burned out all the time, typically when I have a lot of pending HITs that are just sitting in limbo. It's discouraging and kind of scary, wondering if all 250 pending HITs are going to be rejected. I'll usually take a break for a day or two, work on reward sites and surveys to take my mind off it, and wait til some start getting approved. Thankfully, this usually happens on the weekend so I don't feel too bad.

Abarth
06-15-2012, 06:04 AM
I'm having that problem right now - my favorite HITs are down for a while I guess and I can't get motivated to find others.. just keep refreshing hoping they will reappear!
Time to wash the car I think.. or get some sleep LOL

trarms
06-17-2012, 08:29 PM
I just posted in another thread about this, but I had to take a long break from Turking and it's proving hard to get started up again. I have to remind myself that it's ok to work back up to my previous earnings, and not to get too disappointed yet.

jane
06-24-2012, 01:05 AM
I definitely burn out, I go very hot and cold with turking. Good thing is you don't get fired from this for not showing up for the day.

amberlyth
06-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Yes, I definitely burn out much faster than I used to, but I think its just going to take time to rebuild turking stamina. :) I find that having music on definitely helps, as does setting milestones for the day instead of an overall goal. It's much easier to do sets of 100 than to have one big goal of 1000 or whatever.

ursalita
06-24-2012, 02:35 PM
I just went out for a long walk on this beautiful day with my family. That's the perfect cure for burnout. (and just about everything else) :D

BoomMike - Banned
06-25-2012, 01:35 AM
I had my Tax Info pending for like a week... turned out it was logging out and back in which ended up fixing it. But there were a couple of days in there I couldn't Turk and it was kind of nice actually. Being forced to take a break from the site once in awhile.

EMfromOZ
06-25-2012, 05:47 AM
I was on a forced break over the weekend, babysitting my granddaughter at her house. I guess I didn't miss much anyway since weekends seem to be slow. Now, I am refreshed and back looking for HITs that don't seem to be there yet. Rather than get burned out and frustrated, though, I just accept that there are going to be days like this. We just need to allow ourselves to take breaks--even long ones such as hours or days--then ease back into it if we can't seem to find motivation.
:chillpill: