PDA

View Full Version : Do the forums I can't see yet really help me make more money?

brokejoke
01-13-2012, 11:06 AM
do the restricted parts of turker nation, really help you make more money?

fashi0n - banned
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
I do not know what parts are restricted and I could not know that. In old forum there were scripts making life easier but here I cannot find them perhaps there are scripts when some of the forum is unlocked..

Hollie - Closed
01-13-2012, 11:19 AM
Yes. Depends on what kind of hits you like to do, but in general there is a lot more information avaliable. I started making double and triple the amount of money I was making when the whole forum opened up to me. :)

fashi0n - banned
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I can tell you what kind of HITs I am not interested in:
Transcription
Essay Writing
Dolores Labs
Business Cards

stacey
01-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi brokejoke! First of all, :welcome:

In answer to your question, yes this forum will be more beneficial than you could ever imagine. It is important to read everything that you CAN read now. Post in areas that you can. Contribute by telling us things that you have encountered so far. You don't have to have extensive knowledge about AMT to be able to share relevant information. I think that a common misconception among newcomers is that they have nothing to share. We ALL have something to share. And over time, you will have more to share with others, just as we will with you. It is a constant learning environment.

Check out the newest post by Project to guide you on where to go (in the Turker faqs section). Anyone can participate without actually spamming and it's very easy to do by following the recommendations he set forth.

Best of luck to you! and to everyone else who is reading this :)

taintturk
01-13-2012, 11:34 AM
There is a learning curve on mturk and this forum is a big help. Nobody starts at the top.

If you want to make a living off of mturk you need to be patient. Many of the requesters I make significant income off of do not accept new workers. It takes time to build a good list and patience.

macsmomma
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Like everyone else said, the other parts do help. Once I got the other boards open I was able to start meeting my goals easier.

ragingbulls
01-13-2012, 11:39 AM
It makes sense though. I'm sure there are ton of people who sign up and then don't take it seriously. Even though I'm limited (in both the forums and the hits I can do), I can see how once you have better rankings and hits completed and you learn more on the forums, you can make more money.

taintturk
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
It makes sense though. I'm sure there are ton of people who sign up and then don't take it seriously. Even though I'm limited (in both the forums and the hits I can do), I can see how once you have better rankings and hits completed and you learn more on the forums, you can make more money.

lol you are reallllll close though

ragingbulls
01-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Haha...I'm so close...yet so far away.

brokejoke
01-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks turker family. Your all a big help. happy fri 13th

Obfuscated
01-14-2012, 05:14 PM
Just don't be a dumbass like roswelldk (and I'm sure there have been others) and spam the entire Introductions subforum, then demand to know "zomg have I unlocked everything yet?????" :crap:

nwdealdiva
01-14-2012, 05:37 PM
I can't wait to get there. I started a thread and it got moved so I have no idea if anyone read it or if it died. :dntknw: lol

kbtpark3
01-14-2012, 05:54 PM
I am anticipating the day when I can read and see everything. Until then I'll post here and there and get to know some of you.

valley10
01-14-2012, 06:23 PM
The info I've gotten already on the non-private forums have been super helpful. I'll just keep on posting any help I can and make some new friends as I go (not such a bad deal, eh?)!

nwdealdiva
01-14-2012, 06:53 PM
Not a bad deal at all. ;)

rhimpsl
01-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I'm looking forward to the day I can see everything too. I love turking but sometimes get bored because of the hits I am doing and still not really knowing why I'm not making more money. Oh well, that day will come. :)

jumpingRabbit
01-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Taint is on with the patience thing, The first month I spent more time reading than turking but now I can have good days... at first I was hoping to do $5/day (in 1 to 2 hours) now on good day I can get $20 in that amount of time. Or more, I just got an awesome $10 bonues doing a HIT I learned about in the forum which I wouldn't have seen any other way. '

valley10
01-14-2012, 07:30 PM
That's definitely my goal as well: to consistently spend an hour or two daily making $20. This would be helpful in supplementing the income from the day job. Slowly but surely, inch by inch, I'll get there. :D

fashi0n - banned
01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Well how come you can do that much of money in 1-2 hours? Can you suggest me HITs that pay that much??I cannot make more than $3. even $3 requires me to work for many hours a day!!!

valley10
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
Hi fashi0n, for me it's about finding requesters with large volumes of hits that I can easily and quickly do. Right now, I'm not seeing anything on AMT, so the $20 is probably not going to happen today. There have been a couple of days so far that I've easily done $10/hour so I know it's doable. Key thing is to keep taking all the qualification tests - that's what has helped me to work on the better paying hits.

Duke - banned
01-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Hi fashi0n, for me it's about finding requesters with large volumes of hits that I can easily and quickly do. Right now, I'm not seeing anything on AMT, so the $20 is probably not going to happen today. There have been a couple of days so far that I've easily done $10/hour so I know it's doable. Key thing is to keep taking all the qualification tests - that's what has helped me to work on the better paying hits.

I am hitting anywhere between .08 cents and 2 bucks an hour

jumpingRabbit
01-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Well how come you can do that much of money in 1-2 hours? Can you suggest me HITs that pay that much??I cannot make more than $3. even $3 requires me to work for many hours a day!!!

It took me a while to get there and I have been only doing surveys that pay decently or writing HITs when I get that high. Some people do well with the lower paying, high volume HITs but my internet connection is too slow for me to make enough money on those, and I get too nervous about rejections to do 100's with one requester unless I know what I'm doing... by the time I figure out I did them right, I've moved on and found something better... though not so much this week.

Wizard
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I just started this week. It seems like such slow going. Then I think back....last Jan I started doing coupons. By the years end, I had used almost $4000 worth of coupons. So I am hoping that Turking is like that. Gets bigger and better as you go. I learned soooo much from the Coupon Forums. So am counting on this one also.

julesverne
01-14-2012, 10:04 PM
I am not sure what happened but apparently something was reset and now I don't have access to much.

---------- Post added at 02:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Apparently I also lost all my post history from the other forum because I had over 400. That sucks.

nwdealdiva
01-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Ouch julesverne, that does suck! I'm a newbie so no past history. This forum has helped me greatly already even though I don't have access to all the forums. I just transfered $70 to my checking account. :yay: Thank you all!

spamgirl
01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
I am hitting anywhere between .08 cents and 2 bucks an hour

Sounds like you should go back to your lucrative day job.

pinkyts
01-14-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm just glad that even though i'm going to have to focus on posting messages to be able to see everything again, at least i'm still able to read the hof/hos board. It's just too bad that threads that I was posting in I no longer have access to.

librarian50
01-14-2012, 11:20 PM
do the restricted parts of turker nation, really help you make more money?

Yes :cleanglasses:

Wizard
01-14-2012, 11:35 PM
I haven't even learned enough yet to know what the restricted parts are, lol.

cemoore1971
01-14-2012, 11:41 PM
Just from seeing the glance I could see the change to begin to make little more money. Now I need to really post to get back there.

zan
01-15-2012, 01:43 AM
I can say unequivocally YES, accessing the rest of the board will definitely help you make more money. I was shocked to log on tonight and discover I no longer have access to the majority of the Forum. I've been with the original MTurk Forum since 2007 more as a lurker than a poster so my post count has never been high.

Hope I'll be able to find my way back to full access...:(

GnomyRose
01-15-2012, 02:36 AM
Same here. I'm guessing the post requirement was upped :( I used to have full access - but now I can't access anything. I guess I will just have to work on being less introverted! It's honestly not intentional, I try not to lurk, but since the reason I can't work outside of the home is social anxiety/panic attacks and agoraphobia - it's hard for me lol! There are so many things I've wanted to say and posts I have typed out, deleted, typed out again, and just never submitted :nervous::delete::blush:

Back on topic though, I can honestly say that I would not be making half of what I make now if not for this forum, as it introduced me some really great requesters . Leger isn't accepting new workers. I was on Mturk for 2 years making pennies before finding the original Turker Nation. I kick myself when I think of all the good work I missed out on during that time.

In addition to just sorting the good from the bad, some requesters post here, giving you an easy way to talk to them and ask questions, not to mention valuable information to make sure you are doing their HITs correctly and efficiently.

So in short, yes, you will make more money :thumbsup2:

Edit: And, now that I posted, I think I see my problem. I saw that posts in the Introductions forum would no longer count towards unlocking the forum, but I didn't realize that it would be retroactive. My post count used to be higher. Sucks that a spammer had to mess things up so badly!

masterturkey
01-15-2012, 03:07 AM
You mention when the next great requester will come along. Is there often new requesters, or not?

RobertHope
01-15-2012, 04:29 AM
How many posts do I need before I can see the rest of the forums?

turkman9 - banned
01-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Yes the hidden forums are really helpful. I spend a lot of time on the survey, survey chat, and piggy bank threads.

Duke - banned
01-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Great question
Is a question of Quantity or Quality?

BunnyFlavored
01-15-2012, 10:35 AM

That info isn't disclosed publicly in the forum, I'm sorry. But if you'd like some ideas for posting, check out this link: http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?3800-Reaching-the-required-number-of-posts-for-Full-Access&p=58515#post58515

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:17 AM ----------

Great question
Is a question of Quantity or Quality?

Both. Sharing with others who share here is important, and not purposely posting spam to the forum to up quantity is important, too.

Shay
01-16-2012, 01:52 AM
Oh absolutely yes!!! FAR more money!

I think the only way to make turking profitable is through these forums. I have learned so much- from consistently great requesters, to tips for passing qualifications, to discovering which requesters to avoid like the plague, and best of all, the ability to directly communicate with others who are working on the same hits, and even the requesters themselves.

It is absolutely worth the time and energy to get to 'the other side'.

I'm with GnomyRose, in that I'm very introverted and deal with social anxiety. We all have to push against some personal barriers. But it's worth it. :-)

Good luck!

mike1822
01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
I would say so...

lexiemom
01-16-2012, 02:23 PM
Oh well, I'll get there eventually.

sadheart777
01-16-2012, 02:40 PM
The everyone else thread is what I miss it helps to know when a requester is posting because you just cant depend on turk alert they come when they want to and most of the time that's not when you needed them

ome86
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Always enjoy when others tell you how long it takes them so you know if the hit is well worth your time and effort.

bridges6898
01-16-2012, 03:49 PM
I stopped posting after a while last year before I got complete access. I dislike posting so much that I decided it was not worth it. I came back some time later and I had full access. I guess the passage of time had something to do with it then as well. So...now that I've had full access I am making an effort to get it back. It was that useful. I had just recently started posting more. I made four posts in the two days before I got my access taken away.

zora
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, the forums you can't see DO make a HUGE difference in the amount of money you can make. Get involved, ask questions, answer questions and become a member of the community and you can benefit from knowledge that you will wonder how you lived without.

cranlsn
01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Agreed, with many others here, that full access is useful. You just don't realize how much until it's gone. The full forums, besides being loaded with tips from other Turkers, allows for better access to the requesters themselves. Especially the ones that are more communicative.

ome86
01-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Very true statement onf cranlsn part, I have even helped requesters in the past find the forum, so they can communicate with their workers to get quicker and better and more accurate results. I also miss being able to see if others are having problems with the hits like i am.

zora
01-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Don't worry om, you will get back there! You already have a good amount of posts. I don't know how many you need, but if you keep it up you will get there!

ome86
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah guess i just havent had anything good or bad to say so far this year as so far its been mighty slow for turking so far in 2012, always apprecaite all the great posters here and hope that some of my posts have been as helpful to others as others has been helpful to me.

zora
01-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Eh, you don't have to say anything good or bad. Welcome new people, and don't be afraid to participate in the off topic. You might find cohorts who you share things in common with :) I have found developing relationships with my Mturk peers to be very valuable.

Pishpot
01-16-2012, 05:05 PM
So far as it has opened up to me it has helped a lot and there is a lot I still can't see.

moosemuffin
01-16-2012, 06:49 PM
So it's like, when you post you unlock more and more the more you post. ( I know that's a lot of mores) It's kind of like a game, hah!

Mariposa
01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Test test? Hello? Spamgirl? Help! Did you remove my access to EVERYTHING? Seems I can't post anywhere but here, and can't even private message you for help. Um, I'm okay with restricted access, but I need to be able to post somewhere in order to get my posts up. I'm getting the old access denied everywhere, and this is the only place that isn't doing that right now.

jumpingRabbit
01-16-2012, 10:53 PM
Test test? Hello? Spamgirl? Help! Did you remove my access to EVERYTHING? Seems I can't post anywhere but here, and can't even private message you for help. Um, I'm okay with restricted access, but I need to be able to post somewhere in order to get my posts up. I'm getting the old access denied everywhere, and this is the only place that isn't doing that right now.

If you haven't already, read this http://turkernation.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_faq#faq_access for a possible explanation...

spamgirl
01-16-2012, 11:03 PM

I checked and your account is fine, although asking for help from the angry woman isn't usually a good idea.

Duke - banned
01-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Sounds like you should go back to your lucrative day job.

My lucrative day job doesnt pay me to sit on my ass at home though

Wizard
01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
I really don't even know what all the forums are yet. Just kinda reading as I go along, trying to figure this thing out. I have already ready lots of good info.

ome86
01-17-2012, 12:48 PM
The forums you cannot see, helps in the aspect that you can learn how to work more productively for certain requesters, not only from the help of other workers, but sometimes the requesters themselves. Those that post here will let you know when they are putting up new hits, or can help you work more efficiently. It even helps them when there is a problem with hits you have a place you can talk about it with other workers and the requester. It is the best for both worlds in my opinion.

julesverne
01-17-2012, 02:02 PM
There is a lot of good info in those forums, especially if you do work for a particular requester. I had it all but did not post enough here apparently and lost it so I am trying to do my best to make helpful contributions to get it back.

moosemuffin
01-17-2012, 02:24 PM
I just joined here, and I feel like I'm lost in a crowd of posts of people all trying at once to get there post counts up. I guess it's just bad timing on my half though. :(

I feel like my post count is never moving even when I am posting; I think I realized when I quote people, which I guess is too often, the posts don't count. Crikey :( I was wondering why my post count was at the same for the past like 3 posts.

zora
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
Do you use the "latest Hits" button. It is my best friend! There are some posts that won't count. Make sure to read the rules so you know where to post and get your count up.

moosemuffin
01-17-2012, 03:17 PM
I know that posts in the introduction forum don't work, I just didn't know when you click reply to someones post and not reply to thread it didn't count. Thanks I will definitely look over the rules more, I must have overlooked stuff. So do posts not count in this section either though? I'm just wondering because I really thought they did.

Edit: I feel like an ass whining about post count, but I don't see anywhere in the rules about posts in forum discussion not counting towards it. Stupid number stuck at 9, why can't it be a cool number like 10.

Edit 500: It's okay now at least it's not that horrible 9 number, no more fretting here.

cemoore1971
01-17-2012, 03:23 PM
I know when I seen a peek of other threads I could see the benefits to help you weed out get the good requesters which makes me eager to get back there.

ragingbulls
01-18-2012, 10:57 AM
I can't wait to see the rest of the forum, but I guess I am waiting. LOL! I have been here a couple of weeks now and tried to post as much as I can without spamming. I am still getting some good information, even without the other forums.

theliteratesims
01-18-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm right there with you, ragingbulls. There is a learning curve with mturk, and I'm finding helpful info here--but I can use more.

kayhill
02-21-2012, 12:29 PM
This is an excellent thread OP! I am a complete newbie and I see that slow and steady wins the race!:)

Mac
02-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Ugh I'm stuck at the point where I want to ask the advanced questions, but can't because it'd be inappropriate for public areas. Although once I have the private access, I probably won't need to post my questions, I can just read the posts and get the answers I'm looking for.

It's terrible, like being 20 years old and not able to go to the bar with your friends. So close, but so far away... =)

Squarix1 - Closed
02-28-2012, 09:38 PM
I, too, am still waiting for full forum access. I know that I'll just have to be patient, though. :(

Lisse
02-28-2012, 09:41 PM
The bar does seem to be set a bit high, but I suppose there's a reason for that *shrug*

Paulette
02-28-2012, 09:51 PM
I assume I will make more money when that happens, but for now I have to say that I've been making more money just by reading other forums and using the tips experienced Turkers give. Everything is a big help when you are new!

taintturk
02-28-2012, 09:53 PM
I assume I will make more money when that happens, but for now I have to say that I've been making more money just by reading other forums and using the tips experienced Turkers give. Everything is a big help when you are new!

Uh, , , you have full access :flamer:

Squarix1 - Closed
02-28-2012, 10:03 PM
You know, I know that intellectual property is very valuable and must be protected and all that. But I can't help but wonder if the hidden nature of the forums is actually hurting the growth of the forums, overall. I mean, people are lazy. I don't say that in a mean way, I just mean that they like to get the most reward for as little effort as possible. Most of the new people seem to follow a common pattern here: they join, they make a few posts, realize accessing the forum isn't as easy as they thought/not worth it, and give up. Not everyone does that, of course, but I'll bet a lot of newbies do.

And another thing that might be driving new members away: they join to ask just one question about a single requester, and it gets moved to a forum they can't see. They make a thread complaining/asking why, and they are directed to the literature which says they have to make new posts. Again, it goes back to not wanting to put a lot of effort in, especially to an unfamiliar place.

Forums thrive on information, and lots of members making comments. There may be a lot of good stuff in the "hidden" forum, but there seems to be an isolation of new members, which may over time inhibit growth and health of the forum.

Anyhoo, just ranting here for whoever wants to listen. Carry on. :dntknw:

Hollie - Closed
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
If people are not willing to put the effort in, then they are not entitled to the information. That's just how it works.

librarian50
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh, dear, I wanted to post a nice long:cleanglasses: encouraging reply, but there is so much good stuff. Trust the posts you see about making more money!

amaeru
02-28-2012, 10:14 PM
You know, I know that intellectual property is very valuable and must be protected and all that. But I can't help but wonder if the hidden nature of the forums is actually hurting the growth of the forums, overall. I mean, people are lazy. I don't say that in a mean way, I just mean that they like to get the most reward for as little effort as possible. Most of the new people seem to follow a common pattern here: they join, they make a few posts, realize accessing the forum isn't as easy as they thought/not worth it, and give up. Not everyone does that, of course, but I'll bet a lot of newbies do.

And another thing that might be driving new members away: they join to ask just one question about a single requester, and it gets moved to a forum they can't see. They make a thread complaining/asking why, and they are directed to the literature which says they have to make new posts. Again, it goes back to not wanting to put a lot of effort in, especially to an unfamiliar place.

Forums thrive on information, and lots of members making comments. There may be a lot of good stuff in the "hidden" forum, but there seems to be an isolation of new members, which may over time inhibit growth and health of the forum.

Anyhoo, just ranting here for whoever wants to listen. Carry on. :dntknw:

I think that the distinction between this forum and a chat-based, social forum is that this forum is geared toward a community-based offering of a service (sources and techniques to provide each user with the chance to earn more money more efficiently) instead of a place to mutually gather and chat (though that is a side effect of this forum ;)). Because users only stand to benefit from this forum, the forum can put up any kind of "qualifications" that it wants to bar access from free-loaders. This forum has a great community of dedicated, friendly, and helpful turkers, and that's what we want here. None of us are going to benefit from the lazy (how can we assume that people who are too lazy to even make the requisite effort on the site will have any valuable insight into mturk? If you're too lazy for this, I question your work ethic on mturk as well...). It took me a long time to come to terms with this, but that's the gist of it.

librarian50
02-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Thank you amaeru!!!!

Squarix1 - Closed
02-28-2012, 10:22 PM
That makes sense amaeru, thanks. You always have a way of explaining things :) I guess this is more of a utilitarian, rather than socially based forum. But I mean, well, obviously I don't have access to the hidden side yet. But is there a steady influx of newcomers contributing their input, or is it the same old crowd every day? It just seems like a system without a good steady input of new minds working together to solve problems on mturk would get stagnant.

shanmy
02-28-2012, 10:44 PM
I know that I started making more money within two days of finding this forum. The information you CAN see makes a big difference.
I'm sure that will only improve even further when I can access the rest of the forum, but I am still feeling my way around and more info at this point might just be confusing.
Seems to me that this way not only keeps out the spammers/scammers, it also lets you work your way up in the forum as you work your way up in turking.

Paulette
02-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Uh, , , you have full access :flamer:

Good God! I didn't even know it. Too busy turking to notice, I guess!

bakes
02-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I have to admit, when I first read the rules about the "private" areas, I was a little bit taken aback. It made me feel "less than worthy" to be quite honest. But, after I read a few posts, I began to take the advice of others, and I am now making close to $30 a day. Simple things have really helped me. I read a post where someone just mentioned, "been doing a lot of oscar smith HITs, to get numbers" (or something to that effect), so I looked up what the numbers meant and realized that I could make more money if I got my approval rates up. So I did that. Then I read another post where someone mentioned not doing posts for less than $.10. So, I started reading that thread and from there things have steadily improved.

So, all in all, I understand wanting to have full access because I want access to a secret to $$$$$, yet I also understand that we have to "earn" full access. After all, this is a free site, so the owner can make their own rules!

jumpingRabbit
02-28-2012, 11:14 PM

:

In the short time I've been here, I've gained a wealth of information. I've tried to contribute when I could if I thought I had something valuable to add or say (more often even when I don't). I see every attempt at being helpful as an investment of my time to try to repay what I've gotten from others. If the forum were "wide open", many would benefit without needing to make ANY investment at all and this would remove a lot of the incentive for people to participate fully. The people here are friendly, helpful, and try their best to help newbies transition into users with full privileges by nudging them towards the easy ways to get there.

While on one level we are all working in competition for money and jobs, we are working together to keep our work environment useful to us all. If I get burned by a nasty requester, or well rewarded by a good one, sharing this information with everyone gives them a shot at avoiding the bad guys and gaining from the good ones.

Like hreiland said, the people who are not willing to put the effort in are not entitled to the information - they made that choice. No one was hurt by this, if they weren't willing to do the groundwork then they were unlikely to contribute much in the long run anyway....

Just my two cents. I have been watching newbies come and go as well (still consider myself one) but most of the frustration seems to come from people not bothering to read the "READ THIS FIRST" posts and the rules of the board.

amaeru
02-28-2012, 11:19 PM
That makes sense amaeru, thanks. You always have a way of explaining things :) I guess this is more of a utilitarian, rather than socially based forum. But I mean, well, obviously I don't have access to the hidden side yet. But is there a steady influx of newcomers contributing their input, or is it the same old crowd every day? It just seems like a system without a good steady input of new minds working together to solve problems on mturk would get stagnant.

I personally have no problem with it just being the "same old crowd", to be honest. They tend to be the ones with the most experience ;) But I guess I'd say the hidden part of the forum is not much different from the not-hidden part: people who have newly gained access contribute when they want to/can, and people who have had access for a long time contribute when they want to/can. You don't really see a visible division, though I'm sure there are a lot of people who gain access and then promptly return to lurker status, which is sad.

Squarix1 - Closed
02-28-2012, 11:22 PM
Well said, jumpingRabbit, very well said. The wealth of information here inspires me, rather than being lazy, to harder work for it. After all, nothing good in life is free, is it? I consider myself having learned a lot from just working on mturk and making my own observations. However, I'm sure that I can always be a more productive worker with the wealth of information shared here. :-)

spamgirl
02-28-2012, 11:43 PM
The less people, the better. Anyone who earns it deserves it.

deemturk
03-05-2012, 05:23 PM
I am trying to work my way toward having full access to the boards. I used to have full access, but lost it. One thing that makes me nervous, however, is that I wonder whether I am missing information that I really need on some of the other forums -- not just info that would help me earn more, but information that will help me not make a mistake with a requester. For example, when I had access to the crowdsource board, I sometimes got information that helped me not screw up articles or other hits I was doing for crowdsource; now I am nervous about doing some of their newer kinds of hits without having access to that extra info. I'm not really complaining, just saying that this kind of info is important even if not directly related to money earned.

Squarix1 - Closed
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Well deemturk, I'm sure that you'll get there sooner rather than later. In the mean time, turkopticon is definitely a life saver. :) Also, you could email crowdsource to ask, I'm sure they'd be happy to help you.

taintturk
03-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Then you have to contact that requester directly. They are responsive and answer all questions.

Streiph
03-08-2012, 02:04 AM
Like hreiland said, the people who are not willing to put the effort in are not entitled to the information - they made that choice. No one was hurt by this, if they weren't willing to do the groundwork then they were unlikely to contribute much in the long run anyway....

Being new generally means you don't have much to offer to a knowledgeable community. I sometimes feel like I have nothing to contribute...what can you tell people that have been working at something for years that they don't already know? That's the main thing that bothers me as a new user. New turkers need to be exceptionally careful to avoid bad requesters so there's a pressure to stay in the safe zones too, which'll keep you from learning much to share.

It's pretty reasonable to block off the more valuable boards from brand new users, but it can give new users a feeling of being presented with a catch-22; need to contribute to join, can't safely get things to contribute without a general idea of what you're doing.

I guess the point I'm getting at here is that I can understand what people are saying on both sides.

On a slightly related note, I'm a major lurker and being forced to post is just something you hafta deal with. It isn't so bad, really.

PearlRaine
03-23-2012, 03:41 PM
I like the idea of "if you earn it, you deserve it." If it means learning out to make more money at this, I'll post willingly. And hopefully, I'll eventually help someone else too. :)

Jessann
03-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I have found that most of the information I can see is very useful. I do not think that the hidden parts are hurting the forum, I only think that it makes it more exciting. It is fun to work towards a goal to see what is behind the secret door to me.

Shyaamist - closed
03-23-2012, 04:51 PM
I really do find it amazing that there is such a wonderful community here. It only makes me more excited for when I can see the whole forum!

Oleg2012
03-23-2012, 05:07 PM
I really do find it amazing that there is such a wonderful community here. It only makes me more excited for when I can see the whole forum!

I completely agree with you. It is rather surprising sometimes how good, knowledgeable and helpful this community is.

cmahan
03-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Thats always good to know! I tend to lurk here more than I write. I guess I should start chiming in more often. I always wondered what the big rush was to see the rest of the forum. I told turk full-time. I have grad school for that. I also freelance. Marketing, copywriting, all that other fun stuff. I like turking because I have no client emailing me every 10 minutes or deadlines to deal with. Plus, I think it is a lot of fun, which is good for someone who deal with adhd like me.

---------- Post added at 09:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

I agree. Without the forum (the one previous to this) I would not have a clue as to what MTurk was. The site itself is a bit "busy" and overwhelming to a newbie. I am still learning my way around, but I am not on there every single day. I know some people make over $100 a day on there. Thats a great goal for anyone.

Hi brokejoke! First of all, :welcome:

In answer to your question, yes this forum will be more beneficial than you could ever imagine. It is important to read everything that you CAN read now. Post in areas that you can. Contribute by telling us things that you have encountered so far. You don't have to have extensive knowledge about AMT to be able to share relevant information. I think that a common misconception among newcomers is that they have nothing to share. We ALL have something to share. And over time, you will have more to share with others, just as we will with you. It is a constant learning environment.

Check out the newest post by Project to guide you on where to go (in the Turker faqs section). Anyone can participate without actually spamming and it's very easy to do by following the recommendations he set forth.

Best of luck to you! and to everyone else who is reading this :)

Shyaamist - closed
03-23-2012, 05:32 PM
The best part is, many people don't feel comfortable chatting about something they are so new at. So, my suggestion is to go to the "off-topic" area. I am positive you will find something there to chat about. And before you know it, you will feel like family!

cmahan
03-23-2012, 05:33 PM
I wonder if that is because lack of patience or because so many people want to work from home and think its just easy and dont realize you are working for yourself, you are in a sense your own business.

rs353
03-23-2012, 08:36 PM
I'm also fairly excited to get the entire forum opened up! Will be nice to be able to bathe in all the forums has to offer :)

Mindylane
03-23-2012, 08:47 PM
well that's good because your actual bathing frequency will likely decrease when your favorite requester posts hits and you cant shower for DAYS... it happens. a lot.:academic:

youngturk
03-24-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm glad there is a gardening section, at least something I know about lol.

mojoback
03-24-2012, 09:50 AM
Ok. I've read the entire thread and have received the affirmation I was looking for. I am looking forward to the increase in productivity that comes with full forum access!

erod429
03-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I have found all parts of the forum to be helpful! I am a bit shy when it comes to chatting with new people, but everyone in here is great!

B00TYBANDIT
03-31-2012, 11:36 PM
woohoo i cant wait to get acces to the rest of the forum and build relationships with fellow turkers...

Elvis of Dallas
04-03-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi,

Is it ok to post *general* questions to those forums? For example, if there were a forum called "Larry T" for Larry Tate HITs, could I post praise for the HITs there and ask for tips on a specific topic ("how do I get endora to stop turning me into a donkey?") or is that an inappropriate use of those forums?

The question is serious, although the content is meant to be humorous. I'm so thankful to have found this site because it's *really* improved my turking, but it seems people (rightfully so) take the forum rules very seriously - and rather than post something only to have it moved later I thought I'd ask here.

Side note: I've bothered mods with questions like this - if it's better to ask a mod directly or there is a better place to find these answers, please let me know. I still think I'm having trouble using the search feature to find things. Example: the other day my question about transferring money had been asked and answered, but since I didn't know the right words to use, it was up to someone kindly pointing out the link to the thread with the answer for me to find it.

Best regards,
E

Gulfcoaster
04-03-2012, 04:30 PM
It depends on what you are going to post. If you want to post something that praises the Requester, it belongs in Hall of Fame/Shame. If there isn't a thread created yet for your Requester, then you can create one. Just keep in mind, that HoF/S is for ratings only.

If you want to discuss tips, then your questions/comments belongs in the Everyone Else forum section.

Elvis of Dallas
04-03-2012, 04:47 PM
It depends on what you are going to post. If you want to post something that praises the Requester, it belongs in Hall of Fame/Shame. If there isn't a thread created yet for your Requester, then you can create one. Just keep in mind, that HoF/S is for ratings only.

If you want to discuss tips, then your questions/comments belongs in the Everyone Else forum section.

Perfect - THANKS!

lexar1
04-03-2012, 06:54 PM
Well so like a another poster said, I havnt seen enough of the forum to see what i am missing. Bust i just read through maany pages of posts adn now i am ever determined to succeed! So far I have been working on crowdsource and such. small earners but it adds up.

gaiello750
04-04-2012, 03:31 PM
This is very helpful! Can't wait for the rest of the forum to open up!

Drkangel
04-04-2012, 05:45 PM
I like to think about it like dessert. The Mods just don't want us new turkers coming here for just the dessert part of the meal. We are supposed to help cook and serve the meal as well as enjoy the dessert. Besides we'd all be sick to our stomachs if we lived on just dessert alone.

turker88
04-05-2012, 03:17 AM
It's quite easy to fit in a couple of posts between turking just to take a break from it. I've been doing that more.

petmak - closed
05-28-2012, 06:19 PM
I have read alot about this elusive full access but i haven't read anything about the information it provide. What are some of the benefits of full access and what is the minimum required posts to gain full access

librarian50
05-28-2012, 06:28 PM
The actual post count is not given out (I think for obvious reasons) and what you get with full access is information shared by other Turkers about requestors and HITs from their own experiences. Requestors also communicate with us. Good stuff. If you are still interested, :

http://turkernation.com/showthread.php?4506-Reaching-the-required-number-of-posts-for-Full-Access

taintturk
05-28-2012, 06:36 PM
Full access has detailed reviews of specific requesters. Requesters directly communicate with us there as well.

They assign qualifications to us, announce hits as well.

We also freely talk about specific hits.
But to become a member of this club, you have to contribute and become part of the group. It is your choice, you do not have to, but the information is not for outsiders and we all protect it because it directly relates to our income.
We do welcome new people as long as they are willing to become part of the group. If they don't we don't really care, more money for us.

katie
05-28-2012, 06:49 PM
It's like everything else in life - full access is always better than limited access. As for the benefits, I have had my hide saved more than once because of the information and advice on this site.

clark - Closed
05-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Swimming pools, movie stars. Have you ever met Jay-Z? Yeah, well, I'm not saying he's in there, but I'm NOT not saying he is not in there. Wink-wink.

budsmcdoogle
05-28-2012, 07:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw9lZiNo3iU

petmak - closed
05-28-2012, 07:48 PM
lol good one clark

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

lol although the jonas brothers giving me a blowy isn't enticing at all i see where you are going with that

Sweetiepie112658
05-28-2012, 07:53 PM
It is well worth it trust me on this one. Think of it as a miner digging for gold but all he keeps ending up with is fools gold but he perseveres and continues to forge forward in the hope of one day he will strike it rich and find the mega mother of all gold nuggets. That is exactly what is secured and hidden behind the locked doors and I do not blame any of these folks that have worked so hard for protecting it, they have every right to and if you want it badly enough keep digging and working towards it or turn your back and walk away.

Baeras
05-28-2012, 08:29 PM
im hoping its the exact opposite of being the fat kid picked last in gym class oh how i wish

katie
05-28-2012, 08:36 PM
im hoping its the exact opposite of being the fat kid picked last in gym class oh how i wish

Why would you even think that? I don't think there's any back room shenanigans going on here. Post and you will get access. Unless you are Jay-Z of course. That's automatic.

Carebear
05-28-2012, 08:38 PM
It gives you more access to our witty, brilliant, stunning personalities of course - like duh :p

Michele72
05-28-2012, 09:01 PM
It gives you more access to our witty, brilliant, stunning personalities of course - like duh :p

I was going to say clark had the best post.. but then I got to yours LOL

Especially since I would rather have, like, Johnny Depp behind the full access curtain. :)

Baeras
05-31-2012, 12:35 PM
Why would you even think that? I don't think there's any back room shenanigans going on here. Post and you will get access. Unless you are Jay-Z of course. That's automatic.

because i compared something that i hope to be amazing to something that i knew sucked :(

Skye - Closed
06-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I'm going to be taking a lot of time reading, I really am. There are so many threads! lol

I don't want to repeat questions, I want to post quality stuff (quality, not quantity) and I think of this as on-the-job training. Or maybe an apprenticeship? Put in the work, pay your dues, gain experience and opportunity. I Just Get So Frickin Lost! LOL =/ no jokes. This place is HUGE. I have posted here and there and will find places to do that again but then I can't always find my way back. Sometimes I do remember to search my own posts and those are good days. I've set a reasonable goal $/day and when I've reached my goal I'll be trying to get into the groove of things here. I understand it will take me longer to advance here but I have to keep a short (edit: sort, not short) of schedule.

This thread is encouraging without a bunch of whining or coddling. Good to see.

646count
06-03-2012, 10:07 PM
I'm going to be taking a lot of time reading, I really am. There are so many threads! lol

I don't want to repeat questions, I want to post quality stuff (quality, not quantity) and I think of this as on-the-job training. Or maybe an apprenticeship? Put in the work, pay your dues, gain experience and opportunity. I Just Get So Frickin Lost! LOL =/ no jokes. This place is HUGE. I have posted here and there and will find places to do that again but then I can't always find my way back. Sometimes I do remember to search my own posts and those are good days. I've set a reasonable goal $/day and when I've reached my goal I'll be trying to get into the groove of things here. I understand it will take me longer to advance here but I have to keep a short (edit: sort, not short) of schedule.

This thread is encouraging without a bunch of whining or coddling. Good to see.

I hear ya, I was having trouble navigating too. Couple days ago I "found"....lol...it wasn't hiding.... the "Latest Posts" tab at top left of page. That's really helped me keep it a little straighter in my head.

redheadch2
06-04-2012, 12:29 AM
It's so true what others have said before (maybe not in this particular thread) to make posting on TN part of your daily routine. You WILL make more money. Plus learn even more once you get access. Completely worth it!

Proim
06-04-2012, 04:20 AM
It's so true what others have said before (maybe not in this particular thread) to make posting on TN part of your daily routine. You WILL make more money. Plus learn even more once you get access. Completely worth it!
Do you believe this also counts for non-us turkers? Or is there maybe a (still hidden for me) non-us section?

BunnyFlavored
06-04-2012, 04:35 AM
Do you believe this also counts for non-us turkers? Or is there maybe a (still hidden for me) non-us section?

Earning access to the rest of the forum helps turkers who aren't in the US, too. Once you earn access, you'll see everything the forum has to offer. :)

taintturk
06-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I do not know if I said this already in this thread, but I will say it again.

I found this site in Sept. of 2010.

I was satisfied with $5 a day and happy when I made $10 a day. I had been turking for about three years off and on before finding the site.
The reason it was off and on was because of the small amount of money I made.

Now my daily goal is $30 a day.
I average a couple hundred a week from 160-220 usually. I will say that without this forum, I would still be making Oscar Smith wages. (although I never worked for them)
My numbers are not the greatest, but this is also not my full time job.

Now just gaining access is not going to "poof" make you a super turker and earn you tons of money, but by working hard and working within the rules of amazon, you can find good requesters to work for who will pay you fairly and make this a decent source of income.

Just to show you guys, not to brag, because I know many more people who earn more than me

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/3012/capturevxd.jpg

Proim
06-04-2012, 09:19 AM

I was satisfied with $5 a day and happy when I made $10 a day. I had been turking for about three years off and on before finding the site.

I average a couple hundred a week from 160-220 usually. I will say that without this forum, I would still be making Oscar Smith wages. (although I never worked for them)

Now just gaining access is not going to "poof" make you a super turker and earn you tons of money, but by working hard and working within the rules of amazon, you can find good requesters to work for who will pay you fairly and make this a decent source of income.

Just to show you guys, not to brag, because I know many more people who earn more than me

That's truly amazing! :o
I hope I'll get there one day, even if it's just for using as Amazon gift card...

How much time do you spend each day trying to hit that $30?

taintturk
06-04-2012, 09:32 AM
As short amount as possible. lol Try to in under 4 hours. It is not that amazing, many members here have that as their norm and higher.

Flyfisher
06-04-2012, 10:30 AM
I have to say, it's very frustrating as someone that used to have access to the private areas to know there is a broken survey out there and to know that area exists but to post about it... and then know that I can't warn others about it.

Edit : Very cool. Notified the requester and already found an email saying they've fixed the survey and have paid me.

Baeras
06-04-2012, 02:07 PM
tainturk i think is in inspiration to us all you got some pretty nice stats there. I wish i had half of that. lol :D Your starting point sounds a lot like where im at in my journey right now.

luckyjd2k
06-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Wow tainturk, and I thought I was doing pretty well to earn about $35 in my first 8 days turking! That really is inspirational.

ithinkican
06-09-2012, 03:13 PM
One of the things I like about this forum is the ability to communicate with requesters. With one in particular, using the forum has helped me avoid making common errors since the HIT instructions aren't always clear. This helps me make money because if I had made those errors, I would have been locked out of doing that type of HIT- and thus lost potential income.

paperprincess70
06-10-2012, 01:10 AM
I am still trying to reach that elusive goal (unlocking the private areas), but I have read on here multiple times that those areas are very helpful.

I'm trying really hard to figure this stuff out on my own, but I'll take all the help I can get. I'm anxious to reach that point. :)

Nyxalinth
06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
We'll get there eventually, guys. The people who don't stick around? Well, it's just more for us. :D

I don't work many hours a day, but I see this as my job right now. right now, I'm just another newb. If I do my job (do hits, post here in meaningful ways, etc.) I will be promoted (get better hits, get more posting access).

The Entitlement B's never figure this out, and I hope they never do.

Jessann
06-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Patience is a virtue, that I have not yet mastered. At least I realized after joining here that I was not the only one struggling. For now I will enjoy having others that do the same as me to socialize with, in hopes that one day I can start raking in some real cash.

FarmCat
06-23-2012, 11:40 AM
tainturk, thank you. Knowing that I could potentially make $30 a day, in a reasonable number of hours, is extremely encouraging to me. Here's why:

I have a dream of starting up my own business growing organic vegetables. I have a little experience. I spent two years doing it part time and selling at farmers' markets. I loved it. But I discovered that doing it part time wasn't worth it. I want to do it full time. But the work, and the income, of course, is seasonal--and I would have to quit my part time job, leaving me with no income after harvest season is done. I've been trying to figure out whether turking would fill the gap. It just might!

ursalita
06-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I try really hard to spend some of my turking time over here, reading through posts and trying to contribute. I'm hoping that any money I might theoretically lose out on while over here will come back to me tenfold when I've achieved full access. I'm really looking forward to it.

My goal is to make it up to $15 a day soon. Just knowing that it's possible to make $30 or more per day is so encouraging. If I could do that steadily, I could get myself a new car!!

bradillac
07-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Yeah, I'm only about two weeks into using MTurk and already hitting kind of a wall. I really just don't know what HITs are worth spending time on. Can't wait until I can see what the successful Turkers have figured out. I love doing it and have scored almost $60 (which is still cool for a little spare time), but I know there's so much I don't know that will help!

hayd3nd
07-08-2012, 04:48 PM
Wow, this is incredible! I can't wait until I get access to the whole forum. It looks amazing, seeing how much there is out there. tainturk has showed me this... There is so much to be made :p

carolyn
07-08-2012, 05:43 PM
You will love what opens up to you--depending on your interests

Michi0122
07-08-2012, 06:07 PM
Gah, all of these teasers. Every time I see someone post something about how much newbs will enjoy the hidden sections when they get there or how many new things there are to discover once you get in it makes me impatient. I want to play with the site too! It feels like having an older sibling holding a toy just out of your reach while repeatedly saying how cool it is. I know I will get my turn eventually but oh the suspense!

bradillac
07-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Gah, all of these teasers. Every time I see someone post something about how much newbs will enjoy the hidden sections when they get there or how many new things there are to discover once you get in it makes me impatient. I want to play with the site too! It feels like having an older sibling holding a toy just out of your reach while repeatedly saying how cool it is. I know I will get my turn eventually but oh the suspense!

I'm right there with you. I know there's all sorts of untapped potential on MTurk that I don't see, I need access! :)

Maybe I could create a hit ON Mturk and pay someone 3 cents each to post for me... (kidding)

paperprincess70
07-10-2012, 10:54 AM
I don't get it. I thought I made it to that special place since areas that had been closed to me before are now open. But I can't find anything I hadn't seen before. What am I missing?!?!?

Nyxalinth
07-10-2012, 03:18 PM
I don't get it. I thought I made it to that special place since areas that had been closed to me before are now open. But I can't find anything I hadn't seen before. What am I missing?!?!?

Summer is godawful slow because the college kids are out of school, etc. So it might just be an issue of timing. the same thing happened to me when I dinged 500: there was tons of good stuff, then the next day, poof! Gone. Been that way since. In fact, I now have even fewer hits than i did before hitting 500, so I can only figure it's the time of year.

personalbugmenot
07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
Is there like a preview (like table of contents) or something about what is in the hidden sections? I have no idea at this point. Sorry nub here.

russ43015
09-15-2012, 07:16 PM
Same here. I'm guessing the post requirement was upped :( I used to have full access - but now I can't access anything. I guess I will just have to work on being less introverted! It's honestly not intentional, I try not to lurk, but since the reason I can't work outside of the home is social anxiety/panic attacks and agoraphobia - it's hard for me lol! There are so many things I've wanted to say and posts I have typed out, deleted, typed out again, and just never submitted :nervous::delete::blush:

Back on topic though, I can honestly say that I would not be making half of what I make now if not for this forum, as it introduced me some really great requesters .
Hi GnomyRose.
I am in a similar situation as I am on SSA disability and am looking to make some extra money and just yesterday found out about AMT and while searching reviews for AMT, I found this forum. I have much reading to do on this forum over the next few weeks.

mizwiz
12-24-2012, 09:57 PM
What would make a person lose access? If a person gets quiet, does that put them in danger of having to start all over again? Have others lost their access too? Yes, I am new and trying to understand how all of this works.

eNinja
12-27-2012, 02:42 PM
What would make a person lose access? If a person gets quiet, does that put them in danger of having to start all over again? Have others lost their access too? Yes, I am new and trying to understand how all of this works.

I would imagine being inactive (not logging in) for a certain amount of time would probably do it based on comments I've seen from other members, but you raise a good question...

kcwabo
12-28-2012, 05:13 AM
Even though a lot of the site is blocked off to me still, many, many of the threads I can see have contributed to me being able to make 20-30$ a day when I used to struggle to do 10$.

CharSines67
12-28-2012, 09:43 AM
I can't say that the full access area will really help because I've not earned said access. I can only say that based on what others have posted here in this thread and in other threads is that IT WILL help me/you to earn better money. What I can attest to is that the areas that are open to me have been very helpful. For example, what could be more important than to know what HITs NOT to do? Without that information I could have potentially set myself for failure from day one by doing HITs that were doomed to reject, not pay, etc putting me behind the curve ball on ratings. That one thread is worth the membership fee. (fee=earning the trust of forum members and making regular, quality posts) Frankly I'd like to thank the forum moderators for setting up the forum in this fashion.
Blessings,
Char

ayoung84
12-30-2012, 05:51 AM
Even though a lot of the site is blocked off to me still, many, many of the threads I can see have contributed to me being able to make 20-30$ a day when I used to struggle to do 10$.

Good job doing so well even without seeing the whole forum! I'm also new here and to Turking and my goal is also $30. Hope I can get there soon.

Sdawson
12-30-2012, 11:51 PM
Me too Ib.

I am anticipating the day when I can read and see everything. Until then I'll post here and there and get to know some of you.

---------- Post added at 03:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

That's amazing taint turk. I want to be you when I graduate from turk preschool!