PDA

View Full Version : How much do you rely on your turking money?

TamTamz
01-10-2012, 04:09 PM
My husband gets paid once a month, so if we didn't have it things would be pretty lean throughout the month. So, do you neeed your turking money?

Hollie - Closed
01-10-2012, 04:19 PM
My turking money is becoming my main source of income. My other part time job has been making me less and less money in recent months. Without turking I would truly be afraid of being homeless.

furby76
01-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Yes I need it . Once all my bills are paid my bank account looks pretty skimpy so what I make here gets gas to take my daughter to school and what ever house hold stuff I need through out the month nothing like running out of tp and using turk money to go buy it. :D

aebaum91
01-10-2012, 04:36 PM
My Turking money is my one and only source of income. I look at it like a job now and keep records of my work and whatnot. Never though I'd be able to work from home but Gaddy makes it very possible. :)

spiny
01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
I don't really rely on it in a day-to-day sense, mostly just squirrel it away for an emergency.

Knight
01-10-2012, 04:42 PM
I'm basically saving my turking money for things I'll need in the future.. but I live off it sometimes..

budsmcdoogle
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm building a small cushion for when the world goes to hell, which is likely if Ron Paul doesn't get elected.

ragingbulls
01-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Right now I'm doing it for extra money to pay off my debt. If I could do this full time, I would in a heart beat.

brandyh29
01-10-2012, 04:55 PM
My husband lost his job last year so I heavily rely on Mturk. I pay my power bill with it and other stuff like that.

anglzgirl
01-10-2012, 05:19 PM
I have another work at home job but its on pretty thin ice right now so I might have to turk full time soon. Right now I just do it mainly for groceries, recreational activities and the occasional bill

valdp
01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
I totally depend on it. I use it to buy all the food for my family of 4, the gas for my car, everything my kids have to buy for school, recreational activities for the kids, and anything else that comes up (doctors, dentists, birthday parties, etc.)

sodiumred
01-10-2012, 06:17 PM
My turking money just paid my rent today. Yet another month of getting by, but I am very thankful for mturk.

Kskscsch
01-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I always need it, but I go back and forth on how much I need it and what I need it for. There have been times when I had no job, and turking was my only income. I was out of a job for a few months earlier this year, and the money I got from Unemployment was just enough to make my house payment, so during those months, my turking money covered most of my other bills. Now I have a job, but it's part time, so it pays slightly less than my old job. It pays the bills, but my turk money fills in the gaps and gives me a bit of extra money for groceries and other small household things. I have a credit card bill I need to pay down, so I've decided to make a serious effort to make at least 5-10 a day so that I can pay that down quicker.

Fuinernel
01-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I do content writing for several clients, but since I started turking I've been increasingly depending on mturk. I'm by no means well off, but I would be doing a lot worse without it.

Mindylane
01-11-2012, 12:35 AM
I can't even imagine my mturk money paying my rent... Though I forget that Long Island is way overpriced, and our monthly rent is 1325 soon to be 1500... I know it's nothing like that anyplace else in the country... so crazy!

Stlrfn - banned
01-11-2012, 12:42 AM
I can't even imagine my mturk money paying my rent... Though I forget that Long Island is way overpriced, and our monthly rent is 1325 soon to be 1500... I know it's nothing like that anyplace else in the country... so crazy!

Wow Mindy... I lived in Haverstraw, NY for a while and rent there (20 years ago for a crappy 3 bedroom duplex) was around 1200 so don't feel sooooo bad. :nope: Then again my house payment here for a 3,000 sq ft. house was only 1,000 a month. :lol: Granted my loan was only for half the cost. Either way... keep plucking away. I have made your rent money many times in a month. Then again, I am not a full time student either. :goodluck:

lexiemom
01-11-2012, 03:17 AM
Mturk, along with a few other things, pays my rent each month. My car broke down, which led to me losing my job. Without Turking, I'd be lost. Thanks mostly to this forum, I'm actually able to do it. It helps a lot that I live in a pretty rural area so the rent for my two bedroom apt is only $335. ;)

EMfromOZ
01-11-2012, 03:35 AM
I just retired from a full-time job and I am working a seasonal job that varies from part-time to full-time and back again, depending on the demand for services. So I can't work at turking as a full-time job. But the small income I make here really came in handy a couple of times to help pay for car insurance. (Hubby still is skeptical, though, and doesn't take my turking seriously.)

Sportscaster
01-11-2012, 07:00 AM
I have been relying on it for basic needs.

Mindylane
01-11-2012, 07:52 AM
$335?!?!? That is insane. I am actually a part-time student and enjoying a break right now... Hoping to go back full-time in June, but of course I applied to the most competitive program in the state, lol. Our one bedroom apartment that we're moving to is $1500/month and it was one of the ONLY apartments that had a washer/dryer, dishwasher, and was pet friendly. Long Island is insane. We looked at brand new constructions in Phoenix, AZ for $750 or so per month. We really need to move, lol.

Basically I use mturk to pay off credit card debt... my husband is from Australia and when he moved here, couldn't work until all of his documentation was complete, so put everything on credit (or I paid for it HAHA). Also, we have a car payment that I've almost paid off since November of 2010, pretty much thanks to mturk, and of course, I've put my turking money towards school. Without this income, we definitely would not have quite as much saved as we do. It's pretty awesome.

kbtpark3
01-11-2012, 07:56 AM
I'm doing it to start saving more each month and to be able to buy some of the extras for my family.

tkitten
01-13-2012, 11:42 AM
I work full-time and was writing part-time for extra income. Now that most of the content mills are drying up, I am planning on using mturk to replace my lost writing income.

macsmomma
01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
I rely on Mturk a lot. It helps pay for gas and occasionally some bills. I am still learning but hope to be able to pay all of our bills with it. Which should be doable since all of our bills combined is less than 800 a month.

cemoore1971
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I rely on turk money quite a bit; it helps to fill in the gaps.

shakti
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
I work full-time and was writing part-time for extra income. Now that most of the content mills are drying up, I am planning on using mturk to replace my lost writing income.

That's pretty much where I am. I have a few private clients but I'm increasingly depending on mturk.

kblover
01-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Wow Mindy... I lived in Haverstraw, NY for a while and rent there (20 years ago for a crappy 3 bedroom duplex) was around 1200 so don't feel sooooo bad. :nope: Then again my house payment here for a 3,000 sq ft. house was only 1,000 a month. :lol: Granted my loan was only for half the cost. Either way... keep plucking away. I have made your rent money many times in a month. Then again, I am not a full time student either. :goodluck:

Wait, what? You make $1300 a month on mTurk?

You should write a book. How the heck...

giall
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
I don't really rely on it exactly. I'm just using the money to be able to buy more books, and now that I'm turking a little more seriously I'm trying to make enough to put extra payments on my student loans.

hightide
01-13-2012, 02:11 PM
I use turk money for my restaurant bills. As I have a full-time job that pays well by local standards, I am not dependent on turk income. Using turk income for extras make me feel less guilty for splurging.

Ginger
01-13-2012, 04:31 PM
This isn't my only source of income but I do hope it will help somewhat once I get the hang of it and can get some good Hits. I have health problems and am uninsured. I've reached a point where I appreciate even a 2 cent Oscar hit.

bunky
01-13-2012, 06:07 PM
I don't rely on it at all because I haven't been around to get a good average on how much I make. Once I do that, I might increase some expenditures or use it for more bills.

ETA: How can one NOT need extra money!?! :D

snippy510
01-13-2012, 06:12 PM
I don't rely on it because there are times when there are just no good hits. When I do cash out, I like to use it for a small bill, and sometimes will add to my Amazon gift card balance used for Christmas. :)

Fuinernel
01-14-2012, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by tkitten
That's pretty much where I am. I have a few private clients but I'm increasingly depending on mturk.

This is the situation I'm in as well, and I've found the opportunities on mturk to exceed most of what I was doing previously, or at least it is more consistent here.

dbrew101
01-14-2012, 08:51 PM
It is getting me through each week.

pealeaf
01-14-2012, 08:55 PM
I rely on Mturk 100% for all my money. I have a unique, and nice situation where my rent is very low to nonexistent, but paying the bills is all done with MTurk money. Thankfully, there's not many bills and they're manageable so far.

I'm a Simplist (just made that up). I have no spouse or kids so life is very uncluttered. My dream is to live in an airstream on a nice patch of secluded land, and Turk happily ever after. :D

julesverne
01-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Unfortunately, I cannot really rely on it. I wish I could. Sometimes I make a ton in a week and other times, hardly any at all. I tend to think of it as extra to help me pay down bills or get extras. It would be great to depend on it to pay for gas, groceries, etc.

bridges6898
01-14-2012, 10:33 PM
I am hoping to be able to rely more on it in the future. Right now I am unemployed and my savings are slowly dwindling away. I apply for other jobs too, but that has not been working out.

aebaum91
01-14-2012, 10:34 PM
I rely on Mturk 100% for all my money. I have a unique, and nice situation where my rent is very low to nonexistent, but paying the bills is all done with MTurk money. Thankfully, there's not many bills and they're manageable so far.

I'm a Simplist (just made that up). I have no spouse or kids so life is very uncluttered. My dream is to live in an airstream on a nice patch of secluded land, and Turk happily ever after. :D

That sounds pretty perfect! :)

Wizard
01-14-2012, 10:40 PM
I am just learning to turk. Reading this has been inspiring for me. Seems like a really long shot right now to be able to make REAL money with the small HITS that I am finding available. Hopefully, they will get better. Am really trying to spend as much time as I can researching and reading on here. Should I just be spending more time actually doing the HITS to begin with??? Or just keep reading and learning??? TIA

prettybutterfly724
01-14-2012, 11:04 PM
We rely on Murk 100%. Our bills are very low, and we don't need the latest gadgets. We have no credit card debt, and own our home and cars fee and clear. Mturk pays for things that we have to pay such as property taxes :(.

---------- Post added at 03:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 AM ----------

While the forum does have lots of great information, I have found in my short turking experience that even doing $0.02 hits for an hour is better than searching for a $4.00 survey. Just do something and you will make money. I quit searching for a job, and started turking. Searching for over a year had not found me a job, and if I had been turking I would have been able to sleep better at night.

pinkyts
01-14-2012, 11:22 PM
Since i'm in Canada, my mturk money can only go into an amazon.com gift card. I use it for lots of extras and birthday/christmas presents. It's nice to be able to get things that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

turkman9 - banned
01-15-2012, 06:20 AM
For me Mturk money is mad money. Sometimes I use it for birthday and Christmas presents, but mostly I spend it on things I can't justify buying. Splurges in other words. Just little splurges though.

fashi0n - banned
01-15-2012, 09:09 AM
I cannot rely on Mturk money because:
1- I am an international worker and other than Indians there is no cash out options for us
2- My daily mturk earning is too low like $1-2 and how can I rely on that amount of money?

I am using mturk gift balance to purchase things on amazon.com and send my relatives in USA and when they visit us, if I have enough luck they bring what I bought on amazon...

cubbykatz
01-15-2012, 12:18 PM
I have a full time job from which I make plenty of money. Basically turking money is some extra fun money that I use to buy some extra fun things off of Amazon that I don't really need.

mykel99945
01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Since i'm in Canada, my mturk money can only go into an amazon.com gift card. I use it for lots of extras and birthday/christmas presents. It's nice to be able to get things that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise.

I'm from the US, so I'm not an expert on this, but I think what some people do is they buy stuff with their amazon gift cards and sell it on ebay. I think you can ship the merchandise directly to the person you sold it to. You'll probably lose some value (maybe get $30 on ebay for a $40 item), but you get cash.

Again, I haven't personally done this, so take it with a grain of salt, but it's worth looking into.

hypeline
01-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Right now Mturk accounts for about 90% of my income. Up until about a year ago I made all of my money from a really successful website that I had spent years building. Then Google did one of their notorious search algorithm updates and I lost almost all of my traffic (and hence my income) overnight. Anyway, I am so grateful for my turking income. It is allowing me to keep my bills paid while I slowly rebuild my business.

dranja
01-15-2012, 09:03 PM
For me Mturk money is fun money. I use it to buy stuff for myself or presents for others. Also since I'm an international worker I can't really convert it into cash. My favorite things to buy are shoes and electronics. :p

NetWiz
01-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Oh Hypeline* my love hate relationship with Google is making me turk for 60% of my income here. I do transcription, but I get burned out of typing, formats, and turnarounds. So it's a big enough part that I would be hungry without it, instead they are delivering my groceries tomorrow morning!

TamTamz
01-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Oh Hypeline* my love hate relationship with Google is making me turk for 60% of my income here. I do transcription, but I get burned out of typing, formats, and turnarounds. So it's a big enough part that I would be hungry without it, instead they are delivering my groceries tomorrow morning!

Transcription really does wear ya thin after a while, huh? After transcribing for eight hours (with breaks of course) I am completely spent and far more tired than I ever was working outside of the home. I'll do some piggy bank hits for a nice change of pace, then it's back to hammering out transcripts. :treadmill:

mike1822
01-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I use the money i make on paying bills ...one of them is the internet...so doing hits on the internet helps me pay for it....:p

stacey
01-16-2012, 12:32 PM
I am very frugal....some would even call me cheap. I am having palpitations now because I just ordered probably the most expensive "unnecessary" thing....a chocolate caramel turtle cheesecake..OMG! I'm having a Mardi Gras party on February 18th. My cousin just started a side baking business from his home. He and his wife make incredible desserts and this is his newest creation. It's all about supporting family, right? Right?? Thankfully I have a month to save up for this little treat ;)

ome86
01-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Turking Money right now was my only source of income for last year and will probably be the majority of it this year. Im from a one car family and dont have access to getting places when the car is not here so this is a fine alternative way for me to make money and the pay is better or just as good as having a job in retail or fast food or whatnot.

DJCynic
01-16-2012, 03:52 PM
We don't NEED it, but is sure has saved our asses a few times from going into medical bill debt...

AKWrites
01-16-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm also relying on it heavily to pay down medical bills. I'm already in debt due to an accident a few years ago where my insurance decided not to cover about $30k worth of bills (out of about $90k so it could have been worse, but still...I was only supposed to have a $500 deductible and accident-related stuff was supposed to be covered :(), and was facing bankruptcy. MTurk has helped me start making payments and I think I might be able to pay things off in just a couple of years thanks to MTurk if things keep on like they have been.

In addition, my regular income can be inconsistent because it is freelance, so while I have steady work the checks can all come at once and then I don't get paid again for a month or so. Since MTurk generally pays out very quickly, it's helped me keep from dipping into my unfortunately meager savings a few times.

So I guess I don't depend on it in terms of putting food in my mouth and a roof over my head, but it definitely plays an important role in my finances.

Kaieri
01-17-2012, 12:28 AM
I don't rely on it too much, but that could easily change. I'm just trying to build up some savings so we can get out of this crappy state, and it doesn't hurt to have extra money around to go out and do something interesting once in a while.

ccjp
01-17-2012, 09:14 AM
We use it as food money, so I'd say we rely pretty heavily on it...

timefactor
01-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I don't rely on it for food or living, but everything I make goes towards my wedding. It is a few little things like invitations and the favors for our guests. Now that hose are paid for I am trying to pay for our hotel room. These are little things that we may not have had or at least it wouldn't be anywhere as nice as it is going to be if it wasn't for mturk funds.

Strollinkitn
01-17-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm relying on Mturk to help with food, gas and any extras we may need. Luckily my husband's paycheck pays for all the major bills. However, we really do live paycheck to paycheck with no extra spending money. I also need to start making more money on Mturk so that I can pay off credit cards.

CATurker
01-17-2012, 02:57 PM
I rely on my Mturk money to pay for our cell phone bill every month and clothes throughout the year. This really helps with the family budget. Last summer my daughter and I Mturked for all her kitchen necessities for her apartment at college plus all her textbooks.

kae
01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
I don't rely on MTurk much right now, but that may soon change. I'll be leaving the state this summer to move across the country, and will more than likely not have a job lined up by then. I am PRAYING that I learn the ropes by then to make enough to support myself. My partner has a job where I am going, but is already struggling. I will need MTurk to pay off bills and contribute to running the household.

work4turk
01-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Wait! Yous guys get paid? I thought this was a psych experiment.

ccfan
01-29-2012, 09:54 PM
I use it to buy "luxuries" on the side that I want.

I use it to buy computers, tvs, and electronics.

Noalani
01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
I didn't start out thinking we could rely on income from turking. But now as I get more exposure to all of this and pass more qualifications, etc., I'm thinking that turking CAN provide some steady, regular income to pay off certain monthly recurring bills. We do need the extra income to help pay down some debt!

piggycow
01-29-2012, 11:47 PM
Once I can make any sort of decent amount, I wouldn't mind to at least partially rely on it if it meant less time away from my family. Unfortunately, I am far away from making anywhere near enough per day

drama108
01-30-2012, 01:43 AM
right now, mturk pays for my cell phone bill and buys diapers. i'd like to start making more so i can rely on it to pay some other bills too.

soulinstinct
01-30-2012, 02:26 AM
I've been using it as a sole source of income for a few weeks now. Currently job hunting, so it helps to pay the bills in the meantime.

GnomyRose
01-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Normally my turking money is our gas and 'fun' money, since hubby's paycheck covers the rent & bills (barely).

However right now, thanks to some unfortunate timing, we wouldn't be getting by without mTurk. Jan/Feb is always a lean time for us, since hubby works at the school he attends, and so has almost no hours when they are closed during winter break. Add to that a car that chose to die and a kitty who needs to see a vet and we are scrambling to even pay the rent and keep the lights on. :nervous:

What really sucks is that hubby just got hired for a second part-time job, but he can't start his training until the manager gets back from a conference later this week. If all this crap happened 2 months from now, we'd be fine. :no:

HAdrian1239
01-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I didn't plan on having to rely on it at first, I planned on using it to get some other things going in my business. That is still the plan... down the road, but for now, I am relying on it rather heavily.

chall515
01-30-2012, 03:42 PM
originally found mturk as a way to pass time... but now that my husbands job has moved us i am thinking that this will be very helpful while in between jobs for me.

dazcat
01-30-2012, 03:45 PM
I wasn't relying on it as much in the beginning, I think back at the end of 2010. I was only starting to do hits occasionally for "extra" money. But now we have tons of medical bills between my husband's crappy health insurance and my cat recently being diagnosed with feline diabetes, and my daughter being in college, etc. (I can certainly come up with more useful reasons!) I need everything I can possibly get.

shellybean
01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I have a full time regular job outside the home. I am hoping to take an early retirement in about 5 years. I am using MTurk to start working from home a little bit now with the intent of increasing the amount over time until retirement. Then I will have a small retirement and MTurk (and/or other similar) income to supplement.

So far, the 3 weeks I have been Turking have totally saved my a$$ and filled my gas tank all 3 weeks. Loving the "extra" money!

Milo
01-30-2012, 05:44 PM
My goal this year is to turk away my student loan.

At a shade under 7k I need roughly $22 a day to make it. (Factoring in taxes).

It almost sounds doable...

mommyof4
01-30-2012, 06:05 PM
I do not rely on MTurk money at all. I just use if for whatever needs to be paid or bought at the time.

gabby354
01-31-2012, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't say I rely on it exactly. DH's pay covers all our bills and a little into savings. Turking gave us the money to get home for Christmas last month, and it will get us back home for my sister-in-law's wedding in April. Other than that, we are paying down our debt though pesky little things keep popping up. I'm just grateful I can do this.

modeezy
01-31-2012, 12:21 PM
I don't rely on it but there has been times its certainly saved my ass!

victory316
01-31-2012, 01:00 PM
I don't rely on it as our main source of income but it sure helps. I am able to help pay down some bills and pay for things we couldn't in the past. It has been a big help and I have just started a few months ago.

deemturk
01-31-2012, 05:50 PM
I don't know that I would say I rely on it, but there have been times when it has helped tide me over between paychecks for things like gas money or even a couple of times it helped to keep a check from bouncing or me incurring overdraft fees.

KyHope
02-01-2012, 04:05 AM
It used to be fun money for me, but since I got the big boot from DS I've been using it to pay bills. So I guess you could say I rely on it very much. Looking forward to the days when it can be fun money again. :(

drama108
02-02-2012, 05:09 PM
Reading this thread, I'm realizing that a lot of us have gone from not really relying on the money to being in a position where we really don't know what we would do without it! Thank goodness MTurk doesn't do lay offs!

benadrylla
02-02-2012, 08:16 PM
I originally signed up with the intention of using it as fun money. Then I decided it would be a good idea to start building that savings I always say I'm going to do someday. My stubbornness has really helped here... I simply refuse to use any of it until it reaches a certain number, and meanwhile, I'm researching banks to open a savings account with. I am currently employed very part-time, because I have an awesome partner who supports me while I am on unofficial medical leave. It's going to be another couple of years probably until I could work full-time, but in the few weeks I've been turking, it has made me feel much more competent and productive. I know someone mentioned this a few pages back, but I really think this could help me when I am able to work full-time. So... savings, yeah.

kathylagare
02-03-2012, 02:05 AM
We Canadians don't earn cash but credit at Amamzon.com. The only down side to this is the shipping charges on goods when crossing the border. I recently found an item for $900 I would have loved to order but it was large and heavy and the shipping was just under $5000 so I guess I better forget about it or really step up the turking!:D

dilescape
02-03-2012, 09:55 AM
i don't rely on it - i just use it as amazon credit for my purchases - comes in handy for some decent savings!

moosemuffin
02-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I don't exactly rely on it, but it's nice to be able to buy my self a little something, since I don't have a bank account and just cash out into amazon GCs. I sort of get lost on amazon.com for hours just looking at all the random stuff.

hennamom
02-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I have not used mturk to pay my bills in the past. Now tha tone of my other eggs ended I am trying to get more into turking. It used to be coffee money, now it is quickly becoming grocery money.

dblandon
02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
Turk for me at the moment is my fun money, relying on other freelance work for my primary income. However, I can see that theoretically changing in teh future as I do more of these writing HITs!

mammapia
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
When my husband was laid off, we relocated from the Bay Area to SoCal, so he could take a job. I haven't been able to find anything, so Mturk is now my sole income. It really hasn't amounted to much -- just grocery money. I haven't been able to find my groove yet and so it will take time. It sounds as though some folks do really well at this. I'm hoping that will be me in the near future.

RobertHope
02-06-2012, 12:37 AM
I work my regular job from April until November, I usually make enough to pay my rent and most of my other bills until spring like I did this year, but there is nothing left after that. turking allows me to buy the "extras" during the winter. I wish I knew about Mechanical Turk years ago It has been a godsend this year.

MackW
02-06-2012, 08:37 PM
I am hoping to use Turk money to help pay off debt. I have a full time job that has a lot of down time, during which I turk. I aim to add between $.25 to $1.00 per hour to my wage. The problem is, I am kind of addicted and find myself wanting to turk while I am a home too.

mykill86
02-06-2012, 08:43 PM
Mturk is just for money on the side, buying extra stuff I need around the house or stuff that I want. Have a girl on the way so trying to make a little extra income on the side from my ft job.

Paulette
02-06-2012, 08:54 PM
It's not a main source of income, but I find that I need it more and more. Groceries and gas keep going up but I haven't gotten a cost of living raise, so Mturk comes in handy.

mwaters50
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm using it to pay down my credit cards.

ctrout
02-07-2012, 11:49 AM
At the moment I'm relying on mturk as a college student with not nearly enough Financial Aid support. I was doing really well with Crowdsource's editing and writing HITs, but the originals (the multiple-hundred ones that appeared daily) dried up a while back, and now I'm forced to scrounge elsewhere. It's a shame, since I was making money comparable to my old pre-university days for a while.

Lani
02-07-2012, 01:16 PM
I like having the extra income. I can make around $30-50 per day just doing the amazon categorization hits. I use the money to go out to dinner as I really hate cooking :)

sparkle73
01-15-2013, 02:03 PM
I use m turk to help purchase food or pay a bill or two :)

AModernMyth007
01-15-2013, 03:44 PM
In the past I did it as a second source of income, but now that I'm not working I need it to pay the bills. Mainly the stupid credit card :(

marykb1
01-15-2013, 04:41 PM
I am going to work hard so that I can make money.

pkbw28
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Right now it's keeping me in bread, peanut butter and toilet paper! ;)

Coolnamehere
01-15-2013, 04:53 PM
I try not to rely on my turking money at all. If I have a good week then great I can buy myself a couple of Jamba Juices. If I stop working for a few days because I get bored then it's really not gonna affect my day to day living.

MissMin11
01-15-2013, 10:07 PM
I don't rely on my turking money at all right now. Luckily I have another job that I do to support the family. Right now, I am just using the money to buy books on Amazon and the occasional transfer into the bank account for extra items.

As I get more efficient turking, I hope to cut back a bit from my main job and increase the amount I make turking.

sandooch
01-16-2013, 04:34 AM
Since my husband got laid off and he's just started working for himself, it's been taking a while to get his business to grow. So I'm relying on mTurk to help us out with some bills until things pick up. After they do, I'm going to use it strictly to pay off our credit card debt. After that's paid off, I want to put all my mTurk earnings towards paying down our mortgage quicker.

This is my plan anyway. Unfortunately, we can't stop those pesky, wallet-emptying annoyances (aka life's little emergencies)from happening every now and then. But hopefully mTurk will be around for many more years to come so that I can accomplish all this.

cookietrouble68
01-16-2013, 04:59 AM
I am just starting out so I have not come to rely on it just yet but once my feet get entirely wet watch out because I am sure those pesky doctor bills will come searching for a handout.

Timothyj
01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
I rely on turking to pay for pretty much any spare items I need to acquire. I would like to see it become my main source of income, but for that to happen I still need to get into a good working habit. In general I have not had many jobs period and I still forget that even though I am at home turking is a job that I need to work as regularly as possible.

Alice
01-16-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm freelancing right now, and turking is a good way to supplement my income when I'm between jobs. I'm not making much (maybe $30 every other day, if I'm lucky) but every little bit counts. :D

Lee Ann McClain706
01-17-2013, 12:34 AM
I just started turking so I am still new at this but I am trying to make it as my only source of income. Trying to get in the routine to get my school work and turking done in a timely manner.

Thundermaw
01-17-2013, 01:10 AM
For me, it's mostly just pocket change for now. Still, it's nice to have.

CharSines67
01-17-2013, 01:48 AM
I'm building a small cushion for when the world goes to hell, which is likely if Ron Paul doesn't get elected.

Where the heck is the Two Thumbs up button?

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

It's hard for me to quantify how much I rely upon the money earned turking. What I can say is that this week was especially trying because I caught the flu and my meds totaled $110.00 which technically we had, but that money was already committed. Well, I declined the $60 med outright and the $40 med had to be ordered, allowing a deposit to go through. I have exactly 9 days to earn back the bill money. Praise G-D for Mechanical Turk!

Sdawson
01-17-2013, 03:49 AM
I'm retired with a pension and my dh has a full time job, so it's just blow money for me. Probably going to blow it on my first grandchild due in six weeks

SileMarie
01-17-2013, 04:32 AM
So far for me it's just spending money but hopefully as I get more familiar with this and get my routine down so I can contribute more time I will be able to make this a significant source of income.

saubryn
01-24-2013, 10:01 PM
I wish I could actually use my turking money to pay bills, but I'm not from the USA so the only way I can access it is via my Amazon account.

I'm self employed and don't make a lot of money. I turk in my spare time, and I'm using it to buy ebooks, digital download games and other virtual goods. Basically, turk is my entertainment budget. I can't complain because it means that I am getting to read/watch/play things that I otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford.

neato_burrito
01-25-2013, 04:42 AM
I have become very much dependent on mTurk. I didn't expect to be at this point when I started turking last year, but I'm grateful for it. I'm sure I would have dropped out of school without it. Times are tough.

Azuredragoon
01-26-2013, 05:17 PM
I use my turk money to buy sports toys and ammo. Without, I'd probably just be bored. I like doing HITs while watching football/basketball games.

Danni
01-27-2013, 03:27 AM
I lost a great paying job the beginning of January, and my new job allows me barely any wiggle room for leisure purchases, so I use my turk dollars for a motivation booster.

MissJen
02-01-2013, 08:45 PM
I paid off my credit card bills with the help of Mturk. Now I'm going to use the money to start saving.

mizwiz
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
Nice going, MissJen. That's great that you put the money to good use. Think of all the interest you are saving by paying off those credit card bills! Good job!!!:bonus:

dazcat
02-03-2013, 09:34 AM
I paid off my credit card bills with the help of Mturk. Now I'm going to use the money to start saving.

Way to go, MissJen! :) Fantastic use for it!

kd93
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
I'm Canadian so I'm paid in Amazon.com gift cards. Would be nice if they paid us in cash. I just save it for gifts or things we need. Since it's cross border I pay for shipping fees, etc. so need to save for a while before I order :(

rockbottom
02-03-2013, 03:18 PM
My MTurk money is going toward medical bills right now. Hopefully I can begin increasing my pay soon so that I can use the money to help with my educational loans.

powertrash
02-03-2013, 05:37 PM
I want to put my money toward my bills and loans. But it also feels good to be making money instead of stressing out about financial problems. Like, sometimes instead of sitting around worrying, I'll start turking. Then, even if I only made a dollar, I feel like I am being somehow productive toward my goal. It's a great side benefit.

dazcat
02-04-2013, 10:36 AM
I want to put my money toward my bills and loans. But it also feels good to be making money instead of stressing out about financial problems. Like, sometimes instead of sitting around worrying, I'll start turking. Then, even if I only made a dollar, I feel like I am being somehow productive toward my goal. It's a great side benefit.

Good way to think and good advice. I don't make a lot compared to most people on here, but I think that any hit I can get in at any time even if it's only 25 or 50 cents is better than nothing, and is going to go toward something useful (like household bills, my cat's vet and prescription bills, savings, etc.) that I didn't have before. :)

siamesegun
02-05-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm getting married in June and will be using mTurk funds to spoil my fiance as our resources are soon to be VERY tied up in the wedding expenses. :)

In the long term? Debt pay down.
Longer term? Hoping to leverage as a significant source of income for our goal of living on the road.

rasheemhashmir
02-06-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm getting married in June and will be using mTurk funds to spoil my fiance as our resources are soon to be VERY tied up in the wedding expenses. :)

In the long term? Debt pay down.
Longer term? Hoping to leverage as a significant source of income for our goal of living on the road.

Good for you man, keep your woman happy!

I'm a university student and, honestly, this is my beer money. I can do it throughout the day, in between classes, no tax, no gas, feels good.

sherman421
02-06-2013, 04:10 PM
it's all going to my taxes do on 4/15, I hope I earn enough to pay it by then

jamie9100
02-06-2013, 05:07 PM
I am a big fan of Amazon.com, so turking allows me to do all (most) of my gift shopping sans shipping. I rely on my turking cash to brighten everyone's lives without lightening my own wallet.