PDA

View Full Version : Computer tips you use for mTurk

Project 2501
01-01-2012, 10:29 AM
I use a free PDF printing program called CutePDF Writer (http://www.cutepdf.com/products/cutepdf/writer.asp) to save copies of a hit. I use it for hits that I want to review later or requesters that I am unsure about.

What Mturk computer tips can you share with us?

lphillips1 - closed
01-01-2012, 10:49 PM
Dual monitors if you are not sitting on the couch. My work production improved by 50%. I do believe that all computers(excluding Ipads, etc....) have an outlet that allows users to run dual monitor capability. It saves so much time from having to toggle back and forth between Word and the site you are researching for writing. My extra monitor is nearly 2 years old and it is an Acer that cost $79.99. It has certainly paid for itself and then some. Although Acer is a lower tier brand, the monitor works perfectly (knock on wood).

wbr
01-01-2012, 11:19 PM
If you do writing HITs do them outside the browser then paste them in. This is probably obvious, but even a free Word Processor is better than a text box in a browser. Libre Office Writer works great for me. If you have multiple monitors, figure out an application layout that works for you and stick with it. Word processor front and center with research off to the right is what I prefer. Also, do yourself a favor and use FireFox or Chrome, not Internet Explorer.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Make sure your computer is secure. If you cant afford a commercial anti-virus, there are several free ones.

Microsoft Security Essentials (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials)
AVG Free (I use this one) (http://free.avg.com/us-en/homepage)
Avira (http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus)

It is not a good idea to run two Anti-virus applications at once though, so once you install a new one, ditch any old ones you had installed.

In addition, make sure your Window firewall is on or install a third-party firewall like Zone-Alarm (http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm) (also available free)
Get an anti-malware package like malwarebytes (http://www.malwarebytes.org/).
Also, I use a program called Secunia PSI (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/download_psi/) that makes sure all my software is patched and up to date.

Practice Safe Computing and prevent the spread of disease!

BTW Project 2501, thanks for the thanks, but this post was your idea. I just did the legwork.:academic:

lphillips1 - closed
01-01-2012, 11:30 PM
If you do writing HITs do them outside the browser then paste them in. This is probably obvious, but even a free Word Processor is better than a text box in a browser. Libre Office Writer works great for me. If you have multiple monitors, figure out an application layout that works for you and stick with it. Word processor front and center with research off to the right is what I prefer. Also, do yourself a favor and use FireFox or Chrome, not Internet Explorer.

---------- Post added at 10:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Make sure your computer is secure. If you cant afford a commercial anti-virus, there are several free ones.

Microsoft Security Essentials (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials)

It is not a good idea to run to Anti-virus applications at once though, so once you install a new one, ditch any old ones you had installed.

In addition, make sure your Window firewall is on or install a third-party firewall like Zone-Alarm (http://www.zonealarm.com/security/en-us/zonealarm-pc-security-free-firewall.htm) (also available free)
Also, I use a program called Secunia PSI (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/download_psi/) that makes sure all my software is patched and up to date.

Super-Anti Spyware is a powerful application that is free as well. They will ask if you can make a small dontation but do not require any payment. I am not a big fan of Microsoft Security Essentials, when I was running this program it missed some Trojans that infected my computer due to the Google redirect virus. Unfortunately, my hard drive was wiped out and I had to buy an entirely new system. Security Essentials missed the virus so I am hesitant to recommend the install.

Run the Windows firewall as mentioned above along with Super-Anti Spyware and your system should be just fine. Dont run anything else, and try and remove everything else that is preloaded into the system. Remember though, it is a pain in the ass to get rid of the preloaded version of Norton.

aljones
01-01-2012, 11:47 PM
WBR: Aha, Secunia's done a lot since I looked at it a couple of years back. They were marginally workable then but still dodgy (it was too often arguable whether a program was current or not). Just pulled it down to see what they'd done and it looks good now. Looks like it found all the stuff I use and need to be current ...
Thanks for the reminder about them.
I go commercial with ESET for n anti-virus, but do recommend AVG for those who want to go the free route. They, too, have come a long way since their early days (( and yes, I've been around awhile, Methuselah and I were the best of friends! ))
Never did care for MSE (though that may be nothing than their first name) and Avira is also good - you make good recommendations there, friend!
//al

wbr
01-02-2012, 12:48 AM
I listed MSE first as it is typically easiest for a non techie, although the others are not difficult by far. I like AVG as I have used various version over the years and never been disappointed, plus their advanced settings lets me tinker under the hood a bit more than most other AV apps, since I am currently running on a CPU constrained machine, that is important to me.
Windows firewall is fine for most people too, but I like that I can set Zone Alarm to ask me about every connection going out. Lets me see what is really trying to contact the net from my PC.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Run the Windows firewall as mentioned above along with Super-Anti Spyware and your system should be just fine. Dont run anything else, and try and remove everything else that is preloaded into the system. Remember though, it is a pain in the ass to get rid of the preloaded version of Norton.
I have never heard of super-anti spyware, but unless it also scans for viruses, I would not recommend running just it and Windows firewall. You should always have an up-to-date AV application on your machine (unless you are setting up a honey-pot but that is a topic for a forum other than this one.)

wbr
01-02-2012, 05:11 PM
Okay, I decided to list some shortcuts for the keyboard (and mouse) that can really speed up your typing and editing that some of you may not know.

First the mouse hints (these apply in most text areas including text boxes and word processors):

Double-click a word to select the whole word.
Triple-clicking a word selects the entire paragraph. (Between carriage returns)

Now some lesser (and greater) known keyboard tips:

Using CTRL + the left or right arrow key moves the cursor a word at a time
As you know SHIFT+ARROW selects a letter at a time. If you add CTRL you can select a word at a time. Much faster!
Use ALT+Tab or WindowKey+Tab to switch between open windows. (Add in the SHIFT key to go backwards)
Use CTRL+Tab to switch between browser tabs. (Add in the SHIFT key to go backwards)
CTRL+A typically selcts all of a document or textbox

If you have more, share away!

jsluger12
01-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the idea about the dual monitor. I've been having trouble keeping track of my windows and I think I'll try to hook an old monitor up to my laptop.

Tabbing in general to switch between input sections is a good one. If you hold shift, it will go backwards through entry boxes.

JerkItWhileYouTurkIt
01-03-2012, 12:03 AM
"Anti-Virus" is the number one leading cause of people letting their guard down.:D
Watch your routes, sniff them there stankin' ports, keep a tight watch on your own network and know how it should look with your current topology. If you're on a Windows and aren't into doing it all yourself, then anti-virus is great to have; don't get me wrong. Still, do occasional checks yourself. "Viruses" are only a small portion of the problem anyway.

As for dual screens "Hellz Yeah". I run dual screens in here and then pop out the other PC and run Synergy when I want a triple-screen-dual-OS for work and play at the same time.:p

Edit:
Oooh, as far as text editors go. Open Office obviously.
And when things become too crowded, there are a few options. I like to use Dexpot, which runs multiple desktops (up to 20) on one computer. Works great with an alternate windows explorer GUI shell. Running BBLean on the outside to save RAM with four work-spaces inside Dexpot running 6 desktops on 2 monitors, gives me 12 pairs of 2 left-right "extended" displays. Keep it all in easy control with Autohotkeys and you can flip around and utilize it to the max. Hands never need to touch a mouse. Might as well throw that thing in the garbage. If you want a little more organization on top of that and don't have windows 7, you can use winsplit revolution, but you can get pretty much the same effect through some work in Dexpot. WinSplit is just easier and hogs less resources.

ygnd
01-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Okay, I decided to list some shortcuts for the keyboard (and mouse) that can really speed up your typing and editing that some of you may not know.

First the mouse hints (these apply in most text areas including text boxes and word processors):

As you know SHIFT+ARROW selects a letter at a time. If you add CTRL you can select a word at a time. Much faster!
Use ALT+Tab or WindowKey+Tab to switch between open windows. (Add in the SHIFT key to go backwards)
Use CTRL+Tab to switch between browser tabs. (Add in the SHIFT key to go backwards)

Thank you so much for sharing this. As long as I've used the pc I never knew about most of these and switching between open tabs will be so much easier now. I have a question: Is there a shortcut to select a word/phrase to autofill? There are some hits where you have to type in an answer for example filling out addresses with the state and when doing a new hit once you type the "C" you will see it in the drop down for that input area "California, Connecticut". Is there a shortcut so once you hit that "C" and see the states you previously typed before, make it fill in the input area without having to type the whole word?

mykel99945
01-03-2012, 05:23 PM
Thank you so much for sharing this. As long as I've used the pc I never knew about most of these and switching between open tabs will be so much easier now. I have a question: Is there a shortcut to select a word/phrase to autofill? There are some hits where you have to type in an answer for example filling out addresses with the state and when doing a new hit once you type the "C" you will see it in the drop down for that input area "California, Connecticut". Is there a shortcut so once you hit that "C" and see the states you previously typed before, make it fill in the input area without having to type the whole word?

For most fields, if you select it with the arrow keys and then hit Tab to go to the next field, that should do it.

ygnd
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
For most fields, if you select it with the arrow keys and then hit Tab to go to the next field, that should do it.

Will try that out.

wbr
01-05-2012, 12:48 AM
DELETED.. did not see YGND had already answered as it was on a second page.

clark - Closed
01-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Personally, I use an old wired mouse, with the ball and the bellybutton gunk that accumulates inside. There is a weird touch with a wireless mouse that I cannot get accustomed to. I replaced the wireless mouse on my last computer with an old wired one after a few days. Wireless mice are just not as exact. Even on my father's new computer, which is less that 6 months old, the mouse drives me crazy. I couldn't turk with it when I was visiting over the holidays.

Am I the only one that thinks that? My daughter thinks I am being purposefully difficult.

Anyway, for turking, which involves a lot of mousing, I think old wired mice are superior to the new laser, wireless ones. That's my nutty tip.

Of course, I also think cassettes were better than fragile CDs, at least in a car, and side-to-side scrolling video games were more fun than dizzy first person games, so I might be hitting that final phase of life where I think everything new sucks. Don't get me started on those ridiculous earbuds. My brain may be starting to crust up.

roswelldk - banned
01-05-2012, 05:31 AM
I have a macbook pro and I can honestly say that the trackpad speeds up turking a ridiculous amount.

wbr
01-05-2012, 09:50 AM
There can be a different feel between wired and wireless mice for many reasons. The balance is often different as the weight in ball mice in typically dead center where in a laser mouse the batters is often off to the side. The laser can track a little different as well which can be hard to get used to. I don't thinks this differences amount to much, and that yo may have a psychological block going on :)

You may try a laser mouse that allows you to adjust the DPI (many gaming mice do this), changing the DPI 'may' give you the feel you are looking for.

JerkItWhileYouTurkIt
01-07-2012, 11:02 AM
Diiitttchhhh the mouse.
I'd argue for ditching the whole GUI, but that's neither here nor there.
The mouse has one function and one function alone "getting in the way". I think everyone should learn to completely utilize their computers without the mouse and GUI first and then introduce those two components and you will have a completely different understanding of them.

The time wasted moving, clicking, moving, clicking, moving, clicking really adds up. In a job-market like this where you're fighting for HITs, that all sounds like "Chaching, Chaching, Chaching, Chaching".

Even if you don't want to completely toss the mouse and aren't capable of mastering the keyboard, AutoHotKeys is a baws program that can help you create a quick interface for your keyboard. Perhaps open the program and organize an "Mturk Layout" that you'll utilize while working. You can completely remap every key, mouse movement, key-combos, clicks, scrolls, interrupts, you name it. You can even record mouse movements on screen and assign that to a key.

So, for the "Mturk Layout" example:
You could have a "Control Key" that when held down; initialized the following hotkeys:
xkey = Open Browser
xkey = New Tab
xkey = take you directly to Mturk while opening Turkernation in 2nd tab
xkey = Enter Sign-in form
xkey = Focus on "Hit Search" form
-xkey = search specifically designated requesters on same or new tabs
[Even an xkeyMacro that performed all of the above as a sort of "Startup"]

xkey = Focus on URL input
xkey = Focus on first hit
xkey and ykey = focus on previous/next HIT
xkey = accept HIT
xkey and ykey = forward/previous page
xkey = accept HIT
xkey = submit HIT
xkey = skip HIT
xkey = Return HIT

Yata-Yata, you get the point. Might seem like overkill, but all of that saved time adds up to a few bucks every day. Over a week, month, etc. You do the math.

turkman9 - banned
01-15-2012, 05:22 AM
I use AutoHotkey to speed up things like scrolling, switching windows, switching tabs, etc. It is simple yet quite flexible and powerful.

Rosemary
01-15-2012, 10:03 AM
I agree with you, Clark, and like the old wired mouse better than any new versions. The wired mouse seems easier to control and has a more exact point or something. I also like my Microsoft ergonmic keyboard. It really helped any wrist problems I was having when using the traditional flat keyboards.

Now, I do like CDs better than cassettes, but maybe that's because my cassette player developed that squeak, squeak, squeak sound every few seconds. :)

pinkyts
01-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Where would i find AutoHotkey? It sounds like something that I might be interested in. I usually use firefox as my web browser, but sometimes if HITS are loading slowly I switch to IE and it speeds things up. Is there an actual reason this would happne?

turkman9 - banned
01-17-2012, 08:25 PM
AutoHotkey can be found here:
http://www.autohotkey.com

It has been around for many years, and it has a huge community around it. Not some fly-by-night operation or something a kid threw together over a weekend.

AutoHotkey won't help with slow-loading HITs. It is for combining multiple key presses into a single key press, and other forms of scripting.

I mainly use Firefox but often find myself switching to IE, Opera or Chrome to get a particular web site to work properly.

pinkyts
01-17-2012, 11:38 PM
Which version should I be downloading and installing?

---------- Post added at 10:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:37 PM ----------

I don't have Opera or Chrome on my computer, do you find that they work better for some hits?

pealeaf
01-18-2012, 12:07 AM
I DL'd Autokey and from looking at the tutorial, it seems complicated to non programmer types. I will give it a shot, because I'd love not to have to click my mouse so much!

pinkyts
01-18-2012, 12:20 AM
I'm definitely not a programmer type...should i even bother downloading it then?

turkman9 - banned
01-19-2012, 04:56 AM
There are many AutoHotkey scripts and snippets out there, so if you can formulate the right search term, you will often find someone has already written exactly what you need.

For instance, if you use two windows while turking, and you are clicking from one to the other a lot, or perhaps Alt-Tabbing, there is an AutoHotkey script to assign the F1 key (or any other key) to do Alt-Tab. I find that pressing F1 is much easier on my wrist than pressing Alt+Tab.

This is what the snippet looks like:
Send, {lalt down}{tab}
Sleep 10
Send, {lalt up}

"lalt" just means the Left Alt key.

The whole script is here:
http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/alt-tab-rsi-pain

mykill86
01-24-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you!!! Really appreciate these shortcuts.

moneygirl
01-24-2012, 01:56 PM
If I am working on a hit that involves waiting for other players, I detach the tab to a new window. That way I can read the forum or work on other hits while I am waiting for my turn.

baconfly
01-24-2012, 06:56 PM
In Firefox type about:config into your navigation bar
In the filter field put layout.word_select.eat_space_to_next_word
(you won't have to type the whole thing in because it starts searching as you type)
Double click on the value to change it to false

Now when you are copying and pasting survey codes you'll never have to worry about those pesky trailing spaces screwing up the code for you.

mimic20
01-25-2012, 02:47 AM
I use the chrome browser with a addon called Screenshot, click it once it takes a screenshot of whatever page your browser is on, uploads it to imgur, and gives you the link. Useful when you need to take a SS of a hit you are doing for whatever reason.

ccfan
01-26-2012, 01:46 AM
Some Firefox Shortcuts:

Control+Tab =Scrolls through the open tabs left to right
Control+Shift+Tab=Scrolls through the open tabs right to left
Control+T=Opens new tab
Control+W=Closes current tab
Windows Key+D=Minimizes every window and goes to desktop

Page Down Key=Scroll downwards one screen load at a time
Page Up Key=Scroll upwards one screen load at a time
Home Key=Goes to the top of the page
End Key=Goes to the bottom of the page

tjwillturk
01-26-2012, 02:26 AM
Dual monitors if you are not sitting on the couch. My work production improved by 50%. I do believe that all computers(excluding Ipads, etc....) have an outlet that allows users to run dual monitor capability. It saves so much time from having to toggle back and forth between Word and the site you are researching for writing. My extra monitor is nearly 2 years old and it is an Acer that cost $79.99. It has certainly paid for itself and then some. Although Acer is a lower tier brand, the monitor works perfectly (knock on wood).

Dual monitors are perfect for researching and writing. Saves so much time, and your writing flows more since you don't have to go between tabs.

Mojic
01-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Small tip that I use:
If there is no work from my favorite requester but i know that he posts hits from time, I just keep his page on auto-refresh in FireFox with an addon called ReloadEvery.
With two monitors, (using the TV as second one), i can watch a movie, while the page auto-reloads while i am sitting comfortable in the bed.
It also helps to have auto refresh on while working in the house cooking, cleaning, playing with the dog, watching TV, drinking beer etc.

ccfan
01-26-2012, 06:53 PM
^^ Can you set it up for specific tabs or will all your tabs auto refresh?

Mojic
01-26-2012, 07:48 PM
It works per tab.

ccfan
01-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Wow that is a great add-on!

Are you worried about sending so many requests to the mTurk servers that Amazon may suspend your disable your account?

Mojic
01-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Not really. Been doing it for more than three months. I'll do some research and let you know if they have something like this mentioned in the TOS.

spamgirl
01-26-2012, 10:01 PM
Wow that is a great add-on!

Are you worried about sending so many requests to the mTurk servers that Amazon may suspend your disable your account?

I once got an email warning me that if I kept refreshing so much they were going to do just that lol

Mojic
01-27-2012, 06:41 AM
I'm sure you won't bother anyone if run the refresh on only one page every 60 seconds. Overdoing it might get you some attention but only one page a minutes seems reasonable for me.

GnomyRose
01-28-2012, 08:34 AM
I also swear by dual monitors. I didn't think it would make that big of a difference, we got the second monitor mainly because my husband wanted it for gaming. It was a pleasant surprise when I found out how much they helped me too.

Besides the mentioned ease when doing writing hits, or any hit that requires you to leave the page, it is also nice to be able to throw Netflix up on the second monitor when I am doing easy hits.

Paulette
01-28-2012, 09:21 AM
I think I will try using both laptops at the same time when my connection is slow. I could do two different surveys at the same time--answer one set of questions and while that is whirling around in cyberspace, go to the other computer and answer a bunch of questions on another survey. By then the first one should have a new screen.

modeezy
01-29-2012, 04:52 AM
+1 for dual monitors. Dual monitors in the right hands is very powerful.

RippedWarrior
01-29-2012, 12:06 PM
There are some great tips here, thank you. I currently often use split screen windows (one for working on hits assigned to me and the other side for adding hits to the queue), and my phone on the left to monitor email and Turkernation. I am definitely going to try dual monitors.

I had tried to find a setting in chrome to increase the refresh rate (which I didn't) - I hadn't thought of an add-on, so thanks for that too.

ccfan
01-29-2012, 05:49 PM
Spamgirl reported that she got a warning from mTurk for simply manually refreshing her mTurk page too much, so I would suggest NOT getting an add-on to increase your refresh rate.

ljason8eg
01-30-2012, 03:39 AM
I upgraded to triple monitors last week, mainly for gaming, but they're also great for turking!

ccfan
01-30-2012, 04:36 AM
How do you guys use dual and triple monitors?

My computer only has one HDMI-Out slot.

Is there like an HDMI splitter I can buy? Like an HDMI cable goes out from my computer, into the splitter, where two HDMI cables are connected into and those cables go out into separate monitors?

karen
01-30-2012, 06:49 AM
I want more information about the dual monitors also. But this thread should be a sticky or something. There is a lot of excellent information here. I've been using computers for years, and still didn't know some of the keyboard shortcuts. Now I feel like "Duh!" Because it only took me a couple of minutes to read this thread, and 5 minutes to learn the shortcuts. Thanks!!!!

GnomyRose
01-30-2012, 07:31 AM
How do you guys use dual and triple monitors?

Our video card has two DVI ports, so we were able to hook both monitors up directly. My husband built this computer from the ground up knowing he wanted dual monitors, so picked a card he knew could handle it easily. I'm not sure how it would work with only one port.

modeezy
01-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Most decent stand alone graphics cards these days will at the very least have two DVI ports and an HDMI port.

Example 1 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948)
This card has 2 dvi, 1 hdmi, 1 display port

Example 2 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150521)
This card has 2 dvi, 1 hdmi, 2 display port

Example 3 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121444)
This low budget card still has 1 DVI and 1 HDMI.

HDMI and DVI are compatible with each other as long as you have a cable that supports it, like this (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Link-Depot-5m-Male-Gold-Plated-DVI-D-Dual-Link-to-High-Speed-HDMI-Cable/15074946). When you do it like this however, you lose the ability to send audio through the port as the DVI standard does not support audio.

Triple monitors gets slightly more complicated. I don't think I have seen a lower budget card that has it on it, although if your computer supports it you can use 2 video cards to achieve this. The higher gaming grade cards such as the 6870s I linked do support 3 monitors but unless its a flex edition card, it has specific requirements. (like 1 display port, 1 hdmi, 1 dvi only)

mimic20
01-30-2012, 11:15 AM
Having 3 monitors would be amazing. I might look into that some more.

hypeline
02-12-2012, 02:00 PM
If you hold down Ctrl and click on a link it automatically opens it in a new tab. This works in both Firefox and Chrome.

Also, this may be an old trick but I just learned that you can drag and drop text in your browser. I use this all the time now in data entry type HITs and it saves a TON of time.

So for instance, if I am doing a HIT where I have to look up business addresses and enter them in a form, I will set up two browser windows side by side on my monitor with a split screen. I start by opening the HIT in one of the browser windows and Google in the other. I can then highlight and drag the name of the business into the other browser window and search for the address. When the address comes up after searching, I can highlight and drag each individual element (city, state, zip, etc.) into the correct form field in the HIT in the other browser window. It is so much faster than traditional copying and pasting (even using Ctrl+V and Ctrl+C) because it eliminate the need to click between form fields. (I hope that makes sense - I haven't had quite enough coffee today!)

Anyway, those are the two tricks I use that made a huge difference in my earnings. Thanks for all the other great ideas in this thread!

wbr
02-23-2012, 07:35 PM
Multiple monitors RULE :)
A buddies rig:
My current rig:

Kath149
03-08-2012, 01:24 AM
I don't know if this has been posted, but there is a Firefox add-on that makes your browser into a split screen that is useful for many types of hits. You can view two screens at the same time without having to use 2 monitors. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fox-splitter/

silasgreenback
03-13-2012, 01:58 AM
I don't know if this has been posted, but there is a Firefox add-on that makes your browser into a split screen that is useful for many types of hits. You can view two screens at the same time without having to use 2 monitors. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/fox-splitter/

I use a tiling window manager for desktop navigation and it's similar to that. The one I use is DWM (http://dwm.suckless.org/) but there are many more out there. I don't know of any that can be run on Windows, but as far as Macs, I know Xmonad (http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad) works and there's one called Tyler (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tyler-window-manager/id446759787?mt=12) that looks cool. As far as I know, most have Xinerama (multiple monitor) support. If you're running Linux or FreeBSD, the world is pretty much your oyster as far as tiling window managers go.

Here's a CrowdSource HIT from earlier under DWM:

http://i43.tinypic.com/34pmcu0.png

pentimenti
03-13-2012, 02:40 AM
If you have Windows 7 and a wide monitor, you can have some of the advantages of dual monitors by dragging a window to the left (sort of slam it) and dragging a window to the right. You will then have two tiled windows.

Turkinhard
03-13-2012, 04:54 AM
Wow, I can't believe I haven't thought of using two separate windows for Crowdsource. I've just been using two tabs, but having both windows visible is probably easier.

mojoback
03-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Lazarus form recovery is available for FF and Chrome. It will recover text in the (likely) event you have connection problems, website issues, etc. Just RMB and choose the option to restore the text. Viola!

EMfromOZ
03-13-2012, 11:08 AM
I use Chrome most of the time, so does anyone know of a similar way to split the screen there. (Right now I am using netbook w/ small screen, so I don't know if that would work for me right now, but I'd like to try it.)

I don't have a printer, so using Evernote to copy or type in information I want to save has helped me a lot lately. I don't know why I went so long without updating anything there. (Evernote dot com)

azurikai
03-13-2012, 11:22 AM

It is not a good idea to run two Anti-virus applications at once though, so once you install a new one, ditch any old ones you had installed.

BTW Project 2501, thanks for the thanks, but this post was your idea. I just did the legwork.:academic:

Microsoft Security Essentials IS great!

a lot of these shortcuts were unknown to me!

Some Firefox Shortcuts:

Control+Tab =Scrolls through the open tabs left to right
Control+Shift+Tab=Scrolls through the open tabs right to left
Control+T=Opens new tab
Control+W=Closes current tab
Windows Key+D=Minimizes every window and goes to desktop

Page Down Key=Scroll downwards one screen load at a time
Page Up Key=Scroll upwards one screen load at a time
Home Key=Goes to the top of the page
End Key=Goes to the bottom of the page

i had no clue you could switch tabs like that! thanks!

silasgreenback
03-13-2012, 11:46 AM
a lot of these shortcuts were unknown to me!

The hand that rocks the keybindings is the hand that rules the world. :)

moneygirl
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM
I use Chrome most of the time, so does anyone know of a similar way to split the screen there. (Right now I am using netbook w/ small screen, so I don't know if that would work for me right now, but I'd like to try it.)

I don't have a printer, so using Evernote to copy or type in information I want to save has helped me a lot lately. I don't know why I went so long without updating anything there. (Evernote dot com)

Just found this for Chrome. Frame 2 pages. I'm still figuring out how to use it myself so I don't know if it is good or not.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/eldgpcphflnopbjadiaonofideekgdgm

iceman.j
03-27-2012, 12:01 AM
When I can't hook up another monitor or TV to my laptop I've used the DisplayLink app for iPad to get another screen - definitely is helpful if you are on the go and don't want to carry a monitor around with you :)

JavaJoy
04-29-2012, 09:30 AM
To speed up my work, simplify turking and cut down on wrist/finger fatigue, I'm learning to use the keyboard shortcuts. This keeps my fingers on the keyboard, which is so much easier to manage than constantly fiddlin' with the mouse, which never seems to be in the right place anyway!

Seasoned M-Turkers probably use these already. But for newbies here who haven't tried this yet ... here are a couple places to find the actual keys you use to replace mouse movement in MSWindows (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Keyboard-shortcuts)and also in Firefox (http://www.7is7.com/software/firefox/shortcuts.html)

May the wind be at your back!

nab911
04-30-2012, 09:45 PM
Not sure if it has been mentioned but one of my biggest helpers is when searching for something on a page, Ctrl-F pulls up the Find box and then after typing, Ctrl-G will find next. Speeds up searching for urls or words on pages.

miyhaka
05-03-2012, 01:23 PM
^^ thanks for that tip, I know about ctrl-f but didn't know about ctrl-g, its really helpful!..

JamesBJames - closed
05-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Huh, I never knew Ctrl + G did... well, anything. Can't you just hit enter, though, to advance to the next usage of a word?

nab911
05-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Maybe, but you gotta be careful hitting enter. One of my HIT's got rejected because I hit enter and it submitted it only half complete >:(

jennkturker
07-08-2012, 10:30 AM
So when I was a kid, I worked for an insurance company. I did data entry of insurance claims. It was basically like turking. One thing I did was use a macro and keyboard mapping software. I mapped the number pad on my keyboard so that I could type one-handed. Essentially I did this by assigning a common letter to each number key and would get that letter by holding down the tab or alt button to toggle. I think that having a tool to remap the letters on your keyboard might be a good way to speed up on data entry stuff.

ljohnson91
07-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Dual monitors will definitely improve your productivity. I use them with DexPot, which allows you to have multiple virtual desktops. I keep one desktop for mTurk, and customize the other desktops according to what I plan on doing with them (various other online money-making opportunities, one for school, one for entertainment, etc). It's awesome for staying organized.

bp101
10-11-2012, 10:00 PM
what kind of macros would be able to help with turking? i can't imagine a good way to use autohotkey to speed up things we'd have to type over and over, what do you all thinK?

leftfield
10-12-2012, 06:39 AM
Picked up some great hints and learned a thing or two :) thanks guys. Here about all I can add...

holding after second or third click and draggin mouse lets you select multiple words(and not half the word in front of it) when you drag.

what kind of macros would be able to help with turking? i can't imagine a good way to use autohotkey to speed up things we'd have to type over and over, what do you all thinK?

I'm always going on a hunt when it asks for worker ID, maybe that would be useful to make a hotkey that spits that out.

bp101
10-12-2012, 09:33 AM
so i figured out a one-line script for autohotkey that does that for you. it requires a tiny bit of setting up, but here's how to make it.

1. download and install autohotkey :D
2. right click on ur desktop and choose new text document.
3. save it as whatever you want to name it, but make sure it ends in .ahk
4. right click and choose edit
5. Put in ::wid:: putyourworkerID here, no spaces in between the :: and the text.
6. save and double click that .ahk file

so the setup required is that you need to put in your worker ID, but basically whenever this script is running and you type in "wid" and hit space, comma, or period, it'll spit out your worker ID

happy turking :D

leftfield
10-13-2012, 06:53 AM
so i figured out a one-line script for autohotkey that does that for you. it requires a tiny bit of setting up, but here's how to make it.

5. Put in ::wid:: putyourworkerID here, no spaces in between the :: and the text.

so the setup required is that you need to put in your worker ID, but basically whenever this script is running and you type in "wid" and hit space, comma, or period, it'll spit out your worker ID

happy turking :D

Tried this out today and its simple yet effective. I'm sure I'll save a few mins at least using this instead of going to dashboard every time.

Sdawson
12-20-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks that sounds good, I'm going to try it. I usually just copy my I'd to an open word doc and copy it from there or leave the account page open in another window to copy it from there.

Tried this out today and its simple yet effective. I'm sure I'll save a few mins at least using this instead of going to dashboard every time.

mwrfsu
12-20-2012, 03:40 PM
Dual Monitors is a must. I have tried just using the laptop while sitting on the couch and I am so much slower. Thanks for all the other tips. Anything to speed things up helps.

Amutt
12-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Dual Monitors is a must. I have tried just using the laptop while sitting on the couch and I am so much slower. Thanks for all the other tips. Anything to speed things up helps.

Triple is even better:D it leaves you an extra for netflix. Thanks for all the tips everyone. I think I'm going to macro my ID to a mouse button. I also switched 2 of my side mouse buttons to copy/paste for some of the batch hits.

mizwiz
12-23-2012, 05:05 PM
I also agree that dual monitors is the way to go! What a wonderful tool that has proved to be for me as well!!!

HELENB
12-23-2012, 06:51 PM
I rely on split screens, and sometimes I run 2 or 3 separate browsers at the same time. Makes the work go much faster especially if one hit is running slow.

patricia2558
02-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Something I discovered (I don't remember where) that I've found very helpful is enlarging the screen you're typing info. off of.

Hold CTRL and then SCROLL button on mouse to enlarge or make smaller.

antix
02-11-2013, 12:15 AM
In addition to the above, if you have a hard time using the scrollbar to enlarge (or you're on a touchpad) using CTRL and the + or - keys will do the exact same thing :)

janissary
02-11-2013, 02:59 AM
In third to the above, just Hit CTRL + 0 (that's a zero) to reset to default view if you get stuck.

aGorilla
11-18-2013, 12:31 AM
I already 'thanked' these posts, but they deserve more visibility.

Diiitttchhhh the mouse.
AutoHotKeys is a baws program that can help you create a quick interface for your keyboard.

Thanks to both of you for mentioning AutoHotKeys, and for the excellent example of putting it to use. I've been using it for days, and I love it. My hat's off to bp101, you've made the past few days a lot easier.

In case it's not obvious, in step 5, you can put whatever you want between the colons - it should be unique, or you'll find your turk id every time you type. For example, ::tid::, ::mti::, etc. Whatever you feel comfortable typing, but you're not likely to type during average use.

For those who prefer a script (you won't need to create/launch an AutoHotKey file), check out: http://userscripts-mirror.org/scripts/show/171797. NOTE: You'll need to install GreaseMonkey (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/greasemonkey/) for Firefox, or TamperMonkey (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/tampermonkey?hl=en) for Chrome, first.

thehoncho
12-13-2014, 12:49 AM
I read through this thread and didn't see anyone mention texter (http://lifehacker.com/238306/lifehacker-code-texter-windows) - it lets you create abbreviations for words or number strings that you frequently use. I actually learned about it here (from the old board) when many of us were doing HITs for rohzit0d where we looked at scenes from movies (if I remember correctly) and had to enter what we saw, like plane, car, bus, gun, dog, alien etc.

So someone suggested using texter and set up kind of like hotkeys - for example, g for gun - I set it up so I would type "g" and hit the tab key as the trigger and it would then type out the whole word "gun" - and I did the same for all the other repetitive words

It really was a time saver because we had to do those HITs as quickly as we could before they ran out

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it - after being away from turking for a few years I ended up replacing the hotstrings with other things, like "e" for my email address, p for my phone number, a for my address - for filling out forms and things

tscreener
12-13-2014, 04:48 PM
I read through this thread and didn't see anyone mention texter (http://lifehacker.com/238306/lifehacker-code-texter-windows) - it lets you create abbreviations for words or number strings that you frequently use. I actually learned about it here (from the old board) when many of us were doing HITs for rohzit0d where we looked at scenes from movies (if I remember correctly) and had to enter what we saw, like plane, car, bus, gun, dog, alien etc.

So someone suggested using texter and set up kind of like hotkeys - for example, g for gun - I set it up so I would type "g" and hit the tab key as the trigger and it would then type out the whole word "gun" - and I did the same for all the other repetitive words

It really was a time saver because we had to do those HITs as quickly as we could before they ran out

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it - after being away from turking for a few years I ended up replacing the hotstrings with other things, like "e" for my email address, p for my phone number, a for my address - for filling out forms and things

Wow, that looks useful for things like worker ID, state, country. I'll have to bookmark this one and play with it when I get some time. Thanks for the post.