PDA

View Full Version : A quick warning about FireFox 9

wbr
12-28-2011, 10:50 PM
I am new here, but I thought this may be of use. I just recently installed FireFox 9, and the built-in spell checker doesn't seem to work. If you do HITs that require lots of accurate typing and rely on the in browser spell checker be warned. I have done a little digging at the Mozilla support forums and have found a couple references to others having similar problems. There is also a thread about the same thing in some Ubuntu Linux forums, so the problem may be wide spread. My suggestion for now is use another browser or dont upgrade to FireFox 9. If I see a solution to this or a software update I will be sure to let you know.

Take care
Brad

Silence is a state of mime.

clark - Closed
12-28-2011, 11:08 PM
I a new here, but I thought this may be of use. I just recently installed FireFox 9, and the built-in spell checker doesn't seem to work. If you do HITs that require lots of accurate typing and rely on the in browser spell checker be warned. I have done a little digging at the Mozilla support forums and have found a couple references to others having similar problems. There is alos a thread about the same thing in some Ubuntu Linux forums, so the problem may be wide spread. My suggestion for now is use another browser or dont upgrade to FireFox 9. If I see a solution to this or a software update I will be sure to let you know.

Take care
Brad

Silence is a state of mime.

Thanks. I am still using FF 5 because downloading new versions tends to screw with my scripts. It wasn't that long ago that I downloaded it. Firefox has went bananas with these constant updates. Plus, FF reminds me 20 times a day to get the new one. I love Firefox, but I am pretty happy with version 5. It ain't broke and I ain't fixing it. If I lost spell check, I would be entirely crippled. I can't frigging spell on my own, for heaven's sake.

wbr
12-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Okay, I have seen no new news from Mozilla on this subject, but I fixed my issue. I went to the official mozilla add-in site and installed the english dictionary add-in. It did not work until I restarted, and now my spell checker is working. I think Mozilla may have left that dictionary out of certain builds (I am using the 64bit build of 9.0.1). The link is here if you need it:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/united-states-english-spellche/

taintturk
12-29-2011, 10:51 AM
I am on firefox 10

wbr
12-29-2011, 11:24 AM
I use my browser too much to install the beta. If I had time i would put it in a sandboxed system to play with it, but I don't so I use the mainstream release! :D

aljones
12-29-2011, 11:39 AM
thanks for that information, my spelling is pretty decent but I still like to know it's really right! ;)

taintturk
12-29-2011, 11:50 AM
It does not matter to me really. When I am doing writing hits, I write in Word and cut and paste to mturk. Some requesters like NetMsi I use chrome because it seems to work better for them.
I think every now an then I run across some requester who still uses IE and it bugs me. Worst browser available and people still use it.

ShowMeTheMoney
12-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Wow! Firefox is already up to 10? I just installed 8 not too long ago. It seems to still have the spell-check function. Crazy how quickly things change, isn't it?

Glad you got it figured out with the add-on!

wbr
12-29-2011, 05:59 PM
FF 10 is still in Beta. YMMV.

Duke - banned
01-20-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info

tikuiaku
01-20-2012, 06:27 PM
Is the spell checker not flagging any words? Or is it correcting words improperly (flagging some and not others, incorrectly flagging some words, etc). That would be worse... It would cause people to stop trusting spell checkers (which may not actually be a bad thing...).

snowkai246
01-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the HU to all of you. I'm on Firefox 9.0.1, but I use Word for any typing work needed. I've had a British spellchecker add-on for a while for other things & I haven't ran into any difficulties here.

mellmaya
01-21-2012, 01:25 PM
I'm using Firefox 9, and all my scripts are still working. I did have issues in the past with Firefox updates deactivating my scripts though. The only negative I've noticed so far is that Firefox 9 does not seem to render Twitter pages properly. I checked in other browsers and they render just fine.

tjwillturk
01-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Why not use Chrome? I used to use Firefox, but I found that Chrome runs better on my computer.

Paulette
01-21-2012, 01:42 PM
I hadn't noticed because I write in word and cut and paste. Maybe that's a bit clunky, but it is what I'm used to doing.

mawhite
01-21-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm on 9.0.1 and it's flagging misspellings here for me, so the 0.1 must have fixed that I guess. (For example, the bulk of the extension I have listed below are flagged)

The problem that I've noticed though is it's starting to become a real memory hog again.

I don't have a ton of extensions or plugins. Actually all that I have are:

Java
Flash
Quicktime (usually disabled; enabled only if I need it)
LastPass
AdAware
NoScript
Turkopticon

When I'm on MTurk, I actually disable all of them except for TO, and just enable them if a HIT calls for it. Even so, it's been getting to the point of it being almost unusuable. I was doing one of those 'best search results' Crowdsource HITs earlier today and just having two windows open took me forever to get done. I'm starting to consider switching over to Chrome, but I'm such a creature of habit.

Fuinernel
01-21-2012, 04:55 PM
When I'm doing most writing HITs, I'll keep Word open and ready to copy and paste my writing into for a quick spell check and editing run through. For larger articles, I usually write in Word to begin with and copy the finished product into the HIT. One, I'm paranoid and Word makes me feel more comfortable. Two, I hate writing large articles in simple textboxes.

AWArulz
01-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Why not use Chrome? I used to use Firefox, but I found that Chrome runs better on my computer.

In my case, all my extensions that help me turk work in firefox and not in chrome.

tjwillturk
01-22-2012, 01:31 AM
In my case, all my extensions that help me turk work in firefox and not in chrome.

Oh ok that's understandable.

xambo
01-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Is this still a problem? I've been geting some weird issues from time to time.

piggycow
01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Figures that I just decided to finally leave behind Firefox 3 too. Hitting accept on HITs seems to freeze my tabs for a few seconds for some reason. Doesn't happen with Chrome and never did before so I have no idea what it's about.

bestway
01-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info and heads up.