PDA

View Full Version : No captchas was nice while it lasted

ultraviolet
10-20-2011, 09:30 PM
I'd really hoped that given mturk's inability to fix anything, the little issue of non-masters not having any captchas wouldn't ever be fixed. But after several (at least) thousand HITs I've completed since the masters qual was first introduced and not a captcha in the bunch, I got my first tonight, 42 HITs into the day. 35 HITs later, another one. :cry2: I have sinking feeling I did it to myself, though, since I closed Firefox (had enough of the memory leak tonight) and loaded up Chrome. Very next HIT I did I got the captcha so I'm guessing it was related. Of course, after I switched back to FF a few minutes later, I got the second one later.

I almost forgot how much they sucked. :doh_f:

getenough
10-20-2011, 09:37 PM
I'd really hoped that given mturk's inability to fix anything, the little issue of non-masters not having any captchas wouldn't ever be fixed. But after several (at least) thousand HITs I've completed since the masters qual was first introduced and not a captcha in the bunch, I got my first tonight, 42 HITs into the day. 35 HITs later, another one. :cry2: I have sinking feeling I did it to myself, though, since I closed Firefox (had enough of the memory leak tonight) and loaded up Chrome. Very next HIT I did I got the captcha so I'm guessing it was related. Of course, after I switched back to FF a few minutes later, I got the second one later.

Are captchas those phrases they make you write in order to accept a HIT? I get them when I go fast with HITs. Like the Baby Name HITs, or something similar.

ararar
10-21-2011, 12:01 AM
My captchas are back too.

Stlrfn
10-21-2011, 12:12 AM

Do you still have your masters qual? I heard they were threatening to take some of them away? If you do that really sucks because it seems that was one of the best perks of being a master. :dntknw:

ararar
10-21-2011, 12:31 AM
Do you still have your masters qual? I heard they were threatening to take some of them away? If you do that really sucks because it seems that was one of the best perks of being a master. :dntknw:

I don't think ultraviolet is referring to the qualification being revoked. When the first masters qualifications were granted, some people didn't have captchas anymore even thought they weren't masters. Today the captchas came back.

Stlrfn
10-21-2011, 12:34 AM
I don't think ultraviolet is referring to the qualification being revoked. When the first masters qualifications were granted, some people didn't have captchas anymore even thought they weren't masters. Today the captchas came back.

Well that really does suck then. Sorry ultraviolet and others. I didn't realize there was a screw up. I guess I should have read the post more closely :sorry:

Diablery
10-21-2011, 01:10 AM
I am going to complain about it. I liked not having them and it is a major pain doing them again, especially on PL. I quite honestly suspect that I am a bit better at this mturk stuff than most of the people with the Master's qual and I do not see why they should be treated better than me.

robert
10-21-2011, 01:29 AM
I'm confused. Why is it a significant issue as to whether you get a captcha?

mimic
10-21-2011, 01:39 AM
I'm confused. Why is it a significant issue as to whether you get a captcha?

They slow you down and they are a nuisance. Its a pain if you crank out 4-5 HITs a minute and every 35 HITs you have to fill out a damn captcha!

I've also had my account "frozen" for 5 minutes a few times because I didn't fill out a captcha.

Diablery
10-21-2011, 03:20 AM
Personally I am closing in on 600 thousand hits and I have never been a robot for one of them.

bromeliad
10-21-2011, 09:29 AM
Back to captchas hell for me as well, but it really was wonderful while it lasted.

puddnheadwilson
10-21-2011, 10:31 AM
I dont mind captchas! It is comforting to know they are there!

ultraviolet
10-21-2011, 03:13 PM
I guess the only comforting thing is knowing that it was just coincidence that I switched browsers happened right before the captcha - I was really kicking myself for not just rebooting FF for the 29385235th time of the day.

The captchas seriously suck. It's not so jarring if you're doing a few hits here and there, but trying to do the Intelius hits last night was painful every time I got another one. It threw off my whole flow. I actually didn't mind them as much before, but now that I know how nice it is to not have them, it's painful, really painful.

And you're totally right, Diablery. I've got a 99.9% approval and over 27,000 hits completed and while that's a drop in the bucket to some, to know that some masters have not only a lower approval rating but also far less hits (didn't someone get it after being on mturk for under a month?) makes that bitter jaded side of me start to want to raise its head. Although I have to say I'd be a-okay with it if they clearly spelled out how to get a masters qual and I didn't do said type of hits. It almost feels like I'm in middle school/high school all over again.

zerdafennecus
10-21-2011, 05:48 PM
to know that some masters have not only a lower approval rating but also far less hits (didn't someone get it after being on mturk for under a month?)

Yep they were just a bewildered about why they got it having essentially just started turking. Our good history and good "grades" mean nothing apparently.

Diablery
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
I just sent customer service the email. After they respond with one of their canned answers I shall go straight to the top and bitch at the people who get things done.

ararar
10-21-2011, 08:25 PM
I just sent customer service the email. After they respond with one of their canned answers I shall go straight to the top and bitch at the people who get things done.

Let us know what they say. I'm sending an email too.

spiny
10-21-2011, 08:28 PM
What I like is when you put in the captcha and the hit is already gone. Then you put it in again. If you're doing Scott Koznek or Russell Jones stuff, you can end up doing that 3 times in a row.

dvsa5
10-22-2011, 03:16 AM
So the honeymoon period is over? Did I changed into a monkey suddenly? So I need to prove that I am a human again? This is frustrating. :throw:

U0402215
10-22-2011, 09:34 AM
What I like is when you put in the captcha and the hit is already gone. Then you put it in again. If you're doing Scott Koznek or Russell Jones stuff, you can end up doing that 3 times in a row.

What I do is to just find some random HIT which have lots of HITs lying around, type in the captcha and return the HIT immediately so that I could work on those HITs I really want to. But ok I got banned by Oscar Smith for doing that too often to his HITs =p

Verto
10-23-2011, 12:57 AM
Aww... man. I did NOT miss doing captchas. Even with a million plus hits and 99.9999999999999% I'm still filling them out again. Crap.

dancoman
10-24-2011, 03:24 AM
I thought I was the only one.

Diablery
10-28-2011, 06:49 PM
mturk customer service responded predictably, although I employed enough audacity to make them spend a week figuring out that I did not have the Master's qualification and therefore I had to do captchas (idiots). Now I have them 'investigating' from the top. You guys can feel free to threaten to boycott Amazon too. I know that I have spent about 2500$ there in the past two years and I am not going to spend another penny so long as they are so committed to pissing me off without any benefit to themselves.