PDA

View Full Version : Ever heard of a beef and cheese sopapilla?

blmpclrk
10-21-2012, 11:45 PM
They are delicious! Basically, it's a sopapilla (usually filled with a fruit). Kind of like an enclosed pie. But instead of fruit filling, it's filled with beef (ground beef) and cheese (Colby). Nothing really special about the beef, nor the cheese. It's deep-fried. Also topped with shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes. It's delicious because of the unique combination of all the flavors.

I've only found this in Newark Ohio or a suburb of it. In fact, if you were to google this, it would mention where to find them, since it's so uncommon.

I have traveled all over the United States. At first, anytime I saw any sopapillas on a menu somewhere, I would ask the people there if they would ever consider putting beef and cheese inside it. I would almost always get a look of disgust from them. So I finally quit asking.

So, whenever I'm back home visiting (which I currently am) I get my fill of this deliciousness. Since I simply CANNOT find this absolutely anywhere else.

mimic
10-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Um, that sounds like an empanada..? At least, thats what Ive known stuffed pastries as my entire life..

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/images/20081119-rubens-empanada-beef.jpg

wendi5000
10-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Yeah, sopapilla's are usually plain & serve with honey or a fruit jam. If you stuff them, it's an empanada. But regardless of the terminology, it sounds good :)

jumpingRabbit
10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah definitely an empanada, when you are elsewhere just look for those on the menu and you'll be a happy clam!

blmpclrk
10-22-2012, 04:55 PM
Thanks you guys. I'll certainly give an empanada a try. I'm surprised that all the people that gave me the disgusting looks, never suggested such a thing. I've seen them on menus over time. But usually just go with what I know, a burrito or good ol' taco.

Here's a link to a beef and cheese sopapilla article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StuffedBeefandCheeseSopapilla.jpg So you all don't think I'm crazy. But maybe it's just a ripoff of the good ol' empanada.

Thanks again.

jumpingRabbit
10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Thanks you guys. I'll certainly give an empanada a try. I'm surprised that all the people that gave me the disgusting looks, never suggested such a thing. I've seen them on menus over time. But usually just go with what I know, a burrito or good ol' taco.

Here's a link to a beef and cheese sopapilla article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:StuffedBeefandCheeseSopapilla.jpg So you all don't think I'm crazy. But maybe it's just a ripoff of the good ol' empanada.

Thanks again.

I don't think you're crazy, I think it's probably a regional thing that got started by someone a while ago (which is why you only find it in that area). Picture looks more like a taco salad in a flatter tortilla bowl than an empanada though.

What I learned as tostadas (flat, fried tortillas with beans or beef and guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes) are called guadalaras here, and my favorite was the place that would serve chimichangas "fried or soft"... (chimichangas are fried burritos, so a soft one would be... a burrito! :) )

wendi5000
10-24-2012, 05:54 AM
That looks like they literally made the sopapilla, split it open, and used it as a taco shell by stuffing typical taco fillings into it :doh:

This is a sopapilla:

They are hollow pastries made from a dough very similar to tortillas and deep fried.

This is an empanada:

They are pastries that are stuffed with a meat or fruit mixture before deep frying.

blmpclrk
10-24-2012, 06:49 AM
That looks like they literally made the sopapilla, split it open, and used it as a taco shell by stuffing typical taco fillings into it :doh:

This is a sopapilla:

They are hollow pastries made from a dough very similar to tortillas and deep fried.

This is an empanada:

They are pastries that are stuffed with a meat or fruit mixture before deep frying.

No, they actually deep fry them with the beef and cheese inside.

I think that making them with a "shell" that is usually a pastry, may be the major difference between this and an empanada. I will, however, certainly try an empanada the next time I see it on a menu to check it out.

I'm getting hungry now. :)