PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Turk Skepticism

DetectiveSam
05-28-2012, 02:44 PM
So after I found Mturk a few months ago, I tried telling people about this wonderful money making opportunity that I found online. To my surprise I was met with blank stares and people telling me that it was likely a scam and I should be smarter before giving personal information online to earn money. This despite the fact that I explained that it was associated with Amazon!

Oh well, I guess it's their loss. Anyone else encounter skepticism like this when trying to explain what Mturk is?

purplestarfishx
05-28-2012, 02:58 PM
I never mention it to anyone offline unless they are particularly open minded and/or supportive of me. :) I am more concerned with how I am going to explain the last 2 years or more to potential employers. :nervous:

topherturker
05-28-2012, 03:01 PM
You're a self-employed crowdsourcing microcontractor.

Michele72
05-28-2012, 03:07 PM

That should silence pretty much anyone! LOL

I haven't even told anyone besides my hubby.. I will probably mention it to my best friend next time she talk, she's one of the rare ones that I suspect will know exactly what I'm talking about when I mention mTurk.

Flyfisher
05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
I thought mTurk might be a scam when I first found it by way of a story about ways to make money in a pinch. It was finding this forum with so many posts that convinced me to give it a try. I thought, if it's a scam they went to a lot of work to create all these people and posts. I sometimes wonder if I'd been checking the same thing now that so much is private (when it didn't used to be) if I wouldn't now think it is a scam and that's why the private stuff - to cut down on the work. Still not totally convinced I moved all of my money out of one bank account into another before I submitted the empty account number for payments. The friends and family I've told about mTurk think it's great that I make a little money turking while I'm watching TV. One niece recently told me she still does surveys every now and then to pay for the occasional textbook.

Emílio
05-28-2012, 03:15 PM
At the beginning I thought I'd face a lot of skepticism when I talked to my closest friends about MTURK, but for my surprise they showed admiration because I'm able to work for a renowed website like Amazon. And Also they said that they are jealous of my English skills. However it must be taken in account that I'm an International work.

DetectiveSam
05-28-2012, 03:19 PM
I just really think having it associated with a great company like Amazon would automatically lend it a little credibility.

I like your way of explaining it topherturker!

taintturk
05-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I have read in another place that this forum is all a creation in spamgirl's mind.
All the accounts are fake.
All the information in the private forums is useless.

I am glad I am a figment of spamgirls imagination, she has worked her ass off to create me and this gigantic sham.

beekers
05-28-2012, 03:27 PM
I have read in another place that this forum is all a creation in spamgirl's mind.

I am glad I am a figment of spamgirls imagination, she has worked her ass off to create me and this gigantic sham.

Oh, and we're "uneducated, unwelcoming, moronic slimeballs." I had the pleasure of taking a peek at *another place* too. Seriously deluded, infantile individuals.

As for the skepticism, hopefully the skeptics will be so skeptical they steer away from here... ;) But, seriously I rarely discuss it with anyone, and if I do, I leave it as "freelance contracting" to avoid excessive questions of my unemployment status.

On another note, I love "self-employed crowdsourcing microcontractor", @topherturker. After an extended bout of unemployment, this is a perfect explanation (that actually sounds legitimate.)

taintturk
05-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh, and we're "uneducated, unwelcoming, moronic slimeballs." I had the pleasure of taking a peek at *another place* too. Seriously deluded, infantile individuals.

Yes, this is an exclusive club that no one is allowed to join. It is selfish to make anyone "work" to gain access and all the information here should be available to every fucking scammer on the internet so they can destroy this source of income for us.

oh wait... I forgot, I do not exist.

I really don't tell anyone about working on Amazon.

sburch75 - Closed
05-28-2012, 03:45 PM
I tell my kids (10, 13, 15), they know I do "odd jobs" online for FUN MONEY! I have tried to tell a friend who needed money so she could stay home with her baby. She is a college educated woman who is pretty smart and said it was "all too confusing". After that I have decided to keep my mouth shut. Oh, and my husband thinks I am "just playing on the computer". Whatever... I try to talk about it as little as possible.

taintturk
05-28-2012, 04:02 PM
I tell my kids (10, 13, 15), they know I do "odd jobs" online for FUN MONEY! I have tried to tell a friend who needed money so she could stay home with her baby. She is a college educated woman who is pretty smart and said it was "all too confusing". After that I have decided to keep my mouth shut. Oh, and my husband thinks I am "just playing on the computer". Whatever... I try to talk about it as little as possible.

I have heard that sentiment before as well, that we are just playing on the computer.
I put it to my wife like this, I can go out and get a second job and NOT be around, cooking dinner every night, spending time with the family and being outside the house 80 hours a week, or I can PLAY on the computer and make some cash that we really need.
That was last year though. She for the most part accepts it now and understands how beneficial it really is. It just sucks that you cannot just sit down and make a good wage, sometimes you have to wait or do hits when the timing is not the best.
Still far better than working outside the home.

sburch75 - Closed
05-28-2012, 04:15 PM
I have heard that sentiment before as well, that we are just playing on the computer.
I put it to my wife like this, I can go out and get a second job and NOT be around, cooking dinner every night, spending time with the family and being outside the house 80 hours a week, or I can PLAY on the computer and make some cash that we really need.
That was last year though. She for the most part accepts it now and understands how beneficial it really is. It just sucks that you cannot just sit down and make a good wage, sometimes you have to wait or do hits when the timing is not the best.
Still far better than working outside the home.

I agree! He doesn't complain when bills get paid or we go out to dinner on turk money!:)

DetectiveSam
05-28-2012, 04:19 PM
I feel like if people would open their eyes about MTurk instead of just writing it off they would be in awe of what an opportunity it is. I'm really grateful for MTurk, it's enabling me to go for a dream that I've had since I was little.:D

wittking9
05-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Most people cringe when they here about "making money online." There are a lot of scams and pyramid schemes out there, or other opportunities where people make pennies an hour (which can be mturk if you work for some requesters). Mturk is by far the best way I have found to make money online I love it. I have told a few people about it, but they seemed uninterested like they wouldn't be able to make any money off of it. The problem is it takes time to learn the system, and motivation to do the work. I'm ok with that though, the less people you all tell about Mturk the more hits available for me!

sburch75 - Closed
05-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I'm ok with that though, the less people you all tell about Mturk the more hits available for me!

Amen!! :D :D

ctcothran
05-28-2012, 05:05 PM
I never mention it to anyone except my husband. The more folks that know about it, the fewer good hits for me!

shakti
05-28-2012, 05:29 PM
When I bring up any work I do online people act funny; just yesterday I got into it with a relative who pretty much made me feel....very badly.

I figure they're jealous I don't have to get up and go to work--cause if it was possible THEY would know about it.

taintturk
05-28-2012, 05:35 PM
When I bring up any work I do online people act funny; just yesterday I got into it with a relative who pretty much made me feel....very badly.

I figure they're jealous I don't have to get up and go to work--cause if it was possible THEY would know about it.

that sucks

They think it is not real work I guess. F-them, it is jealousy I would guess.

cmkstar - closed
05-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I've found people don't understand what I do and because of that they don't believe it's legitimate. My Dad doesn't fully understand it but thinks it's super neat (he has always believed that the internet/internet jobs is the way of the future) and tells his friends and our extended family about it. Unfortunately, when I come to town all pull me aside and ask, "So what, exactly, do you do?". Most people lay off wanting to know what I do when they realize that there's REAL work involved.

rosewater
05-28-2012, 05:39 PM
I never mention it to anyone except my husband. The more folks that know about it, the fewer good hits for me!

This^^^
I, too am trying to fogure out how to put it on my resume...

stacey
05-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I've not told too many people, but I have gotten a very good response from the ones who do know. My parents think it's great that I can stay home and still make money. My kids...well, those little money suckers don't care where it comes from, as long as it does. My husband didn't understand it at first, but once the deposits started getting bigger and more frequent, he really didn't care either :D

clark - Closed
05-28-2012, 06:10 PM
Going back to the original poster's point, I just say I do jobs online here and there. The truth is, people's skepticism of this stuff is warranted. The pay -- for the most part -- is horrible, there are no benefits and you cannot reliably predict what you will make from one day to the next. Then, at the end of the year, you owe a bunch of taxes. You get to stay home, I suppose, but turking is a tough racket. You have to be a little dopey to stick with it. So I don't bring it up much with others.

If people look at turkers a little cross-eyed, it is for good reason.

The sane way to turk is to find a few requester you can make good money with. If you just happen to be on the computer when they post work, between your other work/life/stuff, you can quickly do the hit and make a good rate. Sitting at the computer all day waiting for good stuff, something I do a lot, is probably a little crazy. As full-time work, the very best a turker can hope for -- the highest ambition -- is probably a borderline lower middle class income. Even then, that would involve turking all the time. Until this kind of work improves, people's skepticism of it is justified.

Desert_Mama
05-28-2012, 06:11 PM

If I am a figment of her imagination, I would like to take the time to THANK her for putting $$$ in my bank account during her imaginations. She also took the time to imagine some really cool people that I have met here...
on the alleged imagined forum.
Seriously folks, who would be so ignorant to say such things? They must be the whiners and complainers who leave the cr*ppy reviews.

li mama
05-28-2012, 06:12 PM
I've gotten mixed reactions. I just shrug and continute turking away. I figure the fewer people on MTurk, the more chances for me to make money! :D

KatKnits
05-28-2012, 07:20 PM
I haven't told anyone about mTurk, or that I do occasional product surveys for another company. But I do have a regular job (I'm one of the underemployed) so it's easy for me. I like what topherturker suggests as an explanation.

Sweetiepie112658
05-28-2012, 07:47 PM
Well for being a figment of spamgirls imagination, you sure have one sense of humor that is all I have to say. For the little while I have interacted with you, you sure have made me laugh! So therefore spamgirl is a super genus to pull off not only a figment but one with humor! :giggle_f:

---------- Post added at 11:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:38 PM ----------

Simply state that you are a independent contractor that provides online administrative support to a large array of clients ranging from Universities to small independently owned business.

coolcat
05-28-2012, 07:48 PM
Now I use the don't ask, don't tell method and it seems to be working just fine. One person asked me what I had been doing and I told them about Mturk they seemed to blow it off and asked about one of the surveys. So I supposed they never took a survey for money. Well, I have taken a lot of surveys that I had to travel to for money. Mturk is way more convenient. I am not trying to help anyone make any money even if they complain they need more money. Mturk is my little secret. My husband doesn't care what I do he is just happy I use the turk money for my shopping habits. It seems everyone likes to challenge him on what I do, so he has to tell them that he is happy that I work from home and it is none of their business. I second that.

Twhylite21
05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
I've told a few friends about it that are stay at home moms like me. One of them started doing some work, but the others felt it was too difficult to get started. I completely disagree with them, but whatever.

DetectiveSam
05-28-2012, 10:34 PM
I've gotten mixed reactions. I just shrug and continute turking away. I figure the fewer people on MTurk, the more chances for me to make money! :D
I guess this is how I should look at it, less turkers, more money for us! :D

sirotis2004
05-28-2012, 10:57 PM
I work a regular job and I have to have secondary employment approved to make sure there is no conflict of interest. I had to think awhile to describe the nature of the work on the form, and I had to go down to HR in person and explain myself because they wanted the contact information for the employer. It all worked out though; I think I successfully confused the shit out of them so they gave up.

laurab
05-28-2012, 11:24 PM
I told a SAHM friend about it as a way to make a little extra but she wasn't skeptical at all. I think we're the only ones that still do those real estate writing hits after they got a bad reputation on TurkOpticon lol.

missamyliz
05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Ugh. I'm still trying to convince my father that yes, I work online. I can't even get into the specifics of mTurk with anyone - as soon as I say I work online from home they get into the whole scam and "you better be careful!" (to which I reply, "why, is somebody going to steal my identity and use my credit score of 500?") and "oh but this place is hiring, go put an application in and get a real job!" (to which I reply, "are you going to babysit my 3 kids when I go to work?") They don't seem to realize that for once in my life, my family has money left over at the end of the week, my house is (mostly) clean, and I'm not reliant on Xanax to get through my day.

SnoAbyss
05-29-2012, 12:20 AM
"I work for Amazon, it's a website." that tends to shut my family up :D Out of my parents, uncles, cousins, etc, I'm probably the only one who owns a computer much less knows how to turn one on. They wouldn't want anything to do with my "newfangled crap".

panyi42
05-29-2012, 01:49 AM
MTurk is a money hard earned business. It takes a community of people(ie this forum) to help each other to earn a mildly decent amount if working full time. Most people do not understand this, so I just keep it to my self.

binderlady
05-29-2012, 03:20 AM
I don't have too many people I tell. my mom has not even heard of Amazon.com so of course I was just begging to be taken by a scam for sure! My dad also hadn't heard of Amazon but he asked what kind of jobs and a few other questions and said it sounded neat and he seemed sincere. :)

lorinsilver
05-29-2012, 05:31 AM
I can't tell people I'm making loads of money, because being a European I can only get the gift certificates. I could tell them that I made 20 dollars in a week, so that I could get a 10 dollar DVD sent to me from America (without subtitles) but that sounds kinda lame too.

That's why I'll always pick hits which are kinda fun to do - it's not a money making opportunity for me, it's a bit of fun that will allow me to get some fun stuff.
My brother's into sites where you play games for points, and after a (long) while, you get enough points to get some sort of present that you can pick from a selection of items. I'll probably tell him about Turking soon, but that's it.

brandyh29
05-29-2012, 07:52 AM
I never mention it to anyone offline unless they are particularly open minded and/or supportive of me. :) I am more concerned with how I am going to explain the last 2 years or more to potential employers. :nervous:

Me too. I just don't mention it to most people. For the few people I do mention it to, I just say that I do small jobs on Amazon. I've had a marketplace seller account with Amazon for 4 years anyways.

shakti
05-29-2012, 08:34 AM
"oh but this place is hiring, go put an application in and get a real job!" (to which I reply, "are you going to babysit my 3 kids when I go to work?")

I get that a lot too---I hear "wellwhen you're working blahblahblah" and I'm like ...uh...who do you think keeps the lights on in this house?! I'm not working in fast food for 8 hours to make when I can make at Mturk in, worst case scenario, same amount of time----and on Mturk I'm not dealing with customers/drama/etc.

A relative told my kid yesterday "I don't think your mother was REALLY working this weekend, she just didn't want to go to XX family function"--- man, F*** OFF.

MackW
05-29-2012, 03:41 PM
This is a little off topic, but some people I dont tell about it at all. I am a "double dipper" and turk while at another job that has down time. I NEVER tell my co-workers about it because I am afraid a bunch of people will start wanting to try it and it will get shut down. So I just let everybody else screw around with facebook while I turk.
I do tell my friends and family about it. They were all skeptics at first, my wife included. But when I show everyone my dashboard and how much I've made, the nay-sayers are silenced.

MommyBree
05-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I just tell people that I work online. I don't go too much into detail! :D

coolcat
05-29-2012, 04:24 PM
I think people have so many issues about it because they are afraid of change. People like to keep things the same way it has always been. They should be afraid of other employers seeing the benefit of using Mturk, and sending their jobs online. A lot of times the wave of the future scares people and television does not make it any better (the news). I am a risk taker. I am willing to try something while those around me look. Then they ask so how did you do that. I'm like well I took a risk and did something different. I always wanted to work from my computer so I could fix my office up and now I do it. I think that's cool. My rant is over.

palomacs
05-29-2012, 04:27 PM
I have not told anyone. A couple of weeks ago, I was suggesting a colleague to use this as a requester (he has to tag a lot of videos). He'd never heard about MTurk (or any other crowdsourcing site), and he said: "how would anyone use this (as a worker)???!!!", so I avoided telling me I am a mturker myself :blush_m:

atomick
05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
I told my sisters about Mturk and they were very negative about it, so I don't tell anyone about Mturk anymore. I have realized that Mturk is not for everyone. You have to be really dedicated to work on Mturk. When Mturk is really slow, I think about looking for a job outside of the home, but I am so accustomed to working from home now that I don't see myself looking for a job outside of the home anytime soon. Mturk gives me the opportunity to see my 3 year old daughter grow up.

cheshir3
05-29-2012, 05:48 PM
I told a few family members and friends and I either get "that sounds like a scam, omg!" or "sounds like you make chump change, sounds boring". So I've pretty much given up on convincing people how great it is. Guess it means more HITs for me!

laurao22
05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
My sister is the second person I heard about MTurk through when I decided to try it. She had heard about it from a friend. She tried it and I don't think she likes it, but she is very happy about the fact it helps me out. My family...adult kids and a teenager and the hubby...don't always get it when I say "I am working" when they want me to do something, but they sure like it when they need something from Amazon and the money is right there!
I am not sure when I will go back to the "other" work world, but I will put this work down as something I have done. Maybe one of the terms I have seen suggested here and not just "internet grunt worker"!!!

sirotis2004
05-29-2012, 08:57 PM
My sister is the second person I heard about MTurk through when I decided to try it. She had heard about it from a friend. She tried it and I don't think she likes it, but she is very happy about the fact it helps me out. My family...adult kids and a teenager and the hubby...don't always get it when I say "I am working" when they want me to do something, but they sure like it when they need something from Amazon and the money is right there!
I am not sure when I will go back to the "other" work world, but I will put this work down as something I have done. Maybe one of the terms I have seen suggested here and not just "internet grunt worker"!!!
I have often thought that my family would take me more seriously if I had a part time job outside the home. But that would be twice as stressful for about the same money.

laurao22
05-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Less stress, less gas money. I can work in my pj's and can take a bathroom break whenever I want. That alone is priceless.

TyTurker
05-29-2012, 10:35 PM
I haven't told many people about turking. My wife, brother and parents are the only ones. My brothers reaction to it was like " You've actually seen money from this, I didn't know such things existed." Turking is one of the first online things I tried to make money and yes I was skeptical at first. I actually did one hit then waited to see if it was going to get approved. And it didn't get approved for almost a week so I kinda wrote the site off as not being legit. Then one day I randomly logged on and saw it was approved-pending and I was like OMG maybe this can work. So I tried it and after ten days of doing hits the money actually came into my account. (Kinda got a bit on a rant there) But anyways, yea I understand why people could be skeptical of it because its not the normal way to make money. I am glad I found it though!

Profswebs
06-21-2012, 12:35 PM

I am so going to use this title!

MeiaNoite
06-21-2012, 03:38 PM
My husband sorta gave it a raised eyebrow... until I paid our gas bill with my first withdrawal. *snicker* Suddenly he's not so dismissive anymore.

Nyxalinth
06-26-2012, 10:33 AM
I've been looking for offline work since December (got fired right before Christmas) and had a grand total of five interviews in six months. so I started looking into freelance writing, which led me to turking. My room mate has been very supportive and cool the whole time. She did think for a while I was doing only surveys (I do them a lot) but I told her I also did writing when the pay/word count was fair. I gave her a basic overview of what it is, and told her I still plan to get at least part time work, and she's happy.

I just tell everyone else "I do freelance work online. Sometimes it pays better than others."

Dylanlip
06-26-2012, 10:38 AM
That's generally the stigma attached to ANYTHING that makes money online, due to the media, possible prior experience, et cetera. Of course due to that, the responses will be natural, until they get a good explanation. At least they show concern for you. ;)

Diali
06-26-2012, 10:47 AM
I tell people "I make my money on the internet" just to see them react with that look of "oh, he's one of THOSE people."

Messing with society is pretty fun.

In all honesty though, I don't mention it at all unless I have to. It's like telling people you play videogames for a living; no one believes you and they're upset that you're happy.

Skye - Closed
06-26-2012, 11:17 AM
no one believes you and they're upset that you're happy.

So true it almost makes me sick, instead of happy.

Dylanlip
06-26-2012, 11:27 AM
and they're upset that you're happy.

This, 1000x this. I get that so much it stopped being funny.

Jessann
06-26-2012, 12:03 PM
I started telling people: "I watch porn and name it for a living."

Diali
06-26-2012, 12:33 PM
I started telling people: "I watch porn and name it for a living."

But then they ask you how they can apply, how they've had years of experience with that... And then it's just awkward because you're talking with your father.....

Of course I may be personalizing that a bit..

BoomMike - Banned
06-26-2012, 03:17 PM
My wife thought it was crazy.... until I just magically came up with enough money to buy her new laptop off Amazon!

eeka
06-26-2012, 03:18 PM
I think people assume I make my money online doing web design, since I dabble in that. I don't bother explaining that most of it is mturk, gigwalk, etc.

kae
06-26-2012, 04:06 PM
I've only told a handful of people about it, and some reacted poorly, saying it was a waste of time and energy. My partner is supportive of it, because we need all the extra income we can get. However, I know that it'll seem more legitimate when I really crack down and start bringing in a decent amount of money instead of $10 here and there.

TaraRoys
06-26-2012, 09:11 PM
My mom is happy that I sit at home all day turking rather than sit at home all day rotting my brain.

ShopWise
06-27-2012, 02:36 AM
I've noticed the few people who have told me it was a scam or who didn't understand mTurk were the same people who I think would most likely fall for a Nigerian scam.

alb
06-27-2012, 06:54 PM
I talk about Mturk and everything else I do from home very little. When people ask me what I do, I just tell them I'm a freelance contractor and try my best to steer clear of any details. I tried to explain myself thoroughly years ago when I left my last B&M job, and that led to nothing except people wanting me to help them do the same things I do (which they rarely followed through on after I spent my time and effort to try to help them). Or others were just nasty. Even some of my family members still don't understand that I make a living doing what I do, even though I've been doing it for over 5 years now and have never asked anyone else for money or any other form of financial help. -sigh- Such is life, but to be honest, I'm glad more people don't know about Mturk and other similar things. We all already have enough competition for work! ;)

puppetclone
06-29-2012, 02:14 PM
A lot of really good ideas here for how to explain it...this is something I've only started recently. I really only told my GF about the specifics of mTurk and all, at first she laughed but then when she started to see the $$ come in she started to want to do it too.

Sheturks
06-29-2012, 05:40 PM
I just really think having it associated with a great company like Amazon would automatically lend it a little credibility.

I like your way of explaining it topherturker!

I agree! The Amazon name makes turking incredibly credible! I recently told one person, my brother, to mention it to his girlfriend (who understands that it is possible to work online.) Less than 24 hours later, my brother came to me and told me, she signed up and had already done 100 hits. Yesterday, I sent her an email with some turking tips. The first was to join TurkerNation!

I am, however, very picky about who I tell.

detroitdongs
06-29-2012, 06:25 PM
Most people I tell usually get into it and are addicted for like 3 days then stop doing it because it isn't quick enough to meet their unrealistic expectations.

Sheturks
06-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Most people I tell usually get into it and are addicted for like 3 days then stop doing it because it isn't quick enough to meet their unrealistic expectations.

I like those types! It means more work for those of us "in the know"

stalar
06-30-2012, 12:26 PM
It reminds me of back when I was a winning poker player. There were a lot of people that were skeptical that you can make money at it by study and discipline. But that was the beauty of it as well, because the those of us that did study were able to profit nicely because other people didn't think it was possible.

FarmCat
06-30-2012, 01:25 PM
There are a couple of other folks in my household who were slightly interested . . . until they asked me how much I make an hour, which is not very much as yet. I'm hoping to increase that and then get them onboard.

chaos
06-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I was skeptical when I first signed up too. The first time I started browsing through the jobs and seeing all these 2 or 3 cent paying HITs, I thought at first that it was pretty worthless. I'm just glad I stuck with it, and figured out some ways to maximize how much I can earn. I still have a lot to learn, I'm not earning nearly as much as some of you, but I've had my first $100 week so I'm getting there.

Turkberserk
07-02-2012, 03:35 PM
I still just Turk on the side, like at nights when I'm watching TV. When I first told my wife about it, she wasn't terribly impressed. However, over the last month, all of her kindle downloads have been paid for by my turking. That has changed her opinion somewhat, although not enough that she's tried it.

renee1216
07-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Everyone I tell gives me a blank stare, then requests proof that I was paid for doing these tasks I'm telling them about. But I could care less, if you can't recognize some kind of income vs. no income as something worth doing, your loss as others have said.

workasaurusrex
07-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I forget sometimes how crazy it sounds to be doing this kind of work. I was telling a friend about how I spent my weekend plugging away at a task, finishing a couple thousands HITs and now I'm waiting, crossing my fingers it will go OK and all will be approved. She looked at me and said 'you mean you did all that and you might not get paid?' And sadly I responded by saying, 'It's happened before unfortunately. And not only might I not get paid, but worse my rating could drop and I would be severly limited in the work I can do in the future.' She said nothing more and just looked at me like I was an idiot.

ljohnson91
07-09-2012, 10:52 PM
Show the skeptics your earning totals for the month, then see who gets the last laugh ;)
I've told my dad. He thinks I'm wasting my time. Hopefully I'll be able to prove him wrong in a month or two, when I get the hang of turking.

detroitdongs
07-10-2012, 12:17 AM
if you can't recognize some kind of income vs. no income as something worth doing, your loss as others have said.

Nailed it. Certainly isn't the ideal way to pay the bills but it's something you can do while also looking for a legit job, plus you're not required to meet any kind of quota, you do what you feel like and have the time for. End of the day, you sat on your ass on the couch and made a few bucks, they sat on theirs and didn't.

dack
07-10-2012, 01:18 AM
This IS a legit job. I made $2000 last month. That's as legit as it gets.

EDIT: I've made $708.09 since July 1st, and I've still got some work pending that isn't added into that total. Don't ever let someone tell you this isn't legitimate work.

dianerm
07-10-2012, 03:13 PM
I get the same blank stares from people at time, and trying to explain it to them often feels like I'm trying to explain physics (which I know next to nothing about) to a toddler. I even get discouraged with turking at times myself, then I read the forums and get reminded that it IS possible for it to be helpful, so start plugging away again! Especially when I remember how often I have used it to pay for miscellaneous items or gas for my car. 50 more hits and I'll finally hit the 1000 mark, which to me some days seems like a lot, then see these posts and realize that there are people that do so many more per day, then feel like an idiot. However, I have learned to avoid it on the days that I am mentally/physically wiped from my full-time job. I tend to make a lot more errors then, which is also a part of the reason I tend to turk less frequently lately. Hopefully I will find a happy medium soon between the two.

dakotaotter
07-13-2012, 10:51 PM
I talked my sister and niece into doing this. I think they both did it for a while for kicks. All of us tend to drift away from it when there is anything better to do. I was surprised that I first started in 2009, it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. I have done some the last month or so, but had a year long break in there. It's an easy 'job' to walk away from. Generally, I don't mention it to anyone. After all, who would think so little of themself to work for this little money?!

quizno
07-14-2012, 12:36 AM
This IS a legit job. I made $2000 last month. That's as legit as it gets.

I don't want to be offensive, but for many people $2000 just wouldn't be enough to sustain a future for a family. $2000 is great for some people but I couldn't live the rest of my life on $24,000 a year.

That said, I'm hoping to make an average of $5 per day even when I find a new job. My intention is to have it supplement my retirement savings, and $2000 / year can be a big help on that front.

aliceinwonderland
07-15-2012, 08:23 PM
I was telling two of my sisters (both in college) and my mom gave me very disapproving looks, but didn't butt in. It sounds like both of them may take it up and my mom's a stick in the mud anyways :P

Legendary Luigi
07-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Planning on telling my family about tomorrow and I feel like my parents are just going to go full on "it's a scam!" mode on me and probably get angry that I willingly gave my ssn in order to be able to turk. We will see...

Michi0122
07-16-2012, 01:32 AM
I mentioned MTurk to a few friends and family at first but they all gave me the mile long stare or freaked out that I would give out my information online. At least my significant other became supportive once he saw how much I was making with it. As for employers...I interviewed a few days ago and when asked what I was doing since graduating I confidently said I was fulfilling independent contract duties online. They both seemed impressed and told me I should be expecting an offer soon :)

quizno
07-16-2012, 02:44 AM
They both seemed impressed and told me I should be expecting an offer soon :)

Grats! In 12 years since college I have never once received an offer DURING the interview!

Michi0122
07-16-2012, 04:09 AM
Thank you. After getting shot down less than 5 minutes in to my last interview (not enough experience, despite having more than the minimum amount of experience and a more advanced degree than required) it felt really really amazing to have a potential employer telling me how much they want me to work for them.

tonic22
07-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Almost everyone I have told about mturk thinks it is a scam, but it doesn't bother me as it is their loss. To be honest, I don't really want more people to learn about it. There is a popular forum here in the UK and I know if I ever posted anything about mturk on it, all the daily hits that I rely on for a monthly income would be gone.

Cannibalpriest
07-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Most of the time people consider any way to make money on the internet a scam. It's their loss though, and it means less competition.

Pugnacious
07-30-2012, 10:41 AM
I tried to get my bf to turk. He doesn't have a job; he's going to get his master's degree right now. He's a pretty lazy fellow, and was turned off by the little pay that HITs have, especially when he can just jaunt over to the psych dept at his college and participate in a study for a lot more money than studies give on turk.

Oh well.

malleable
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM
You know, I'd kind of prefer that turk stay a little "underground" as there's less competition that way. With an influx of new workers (who may or may not flake out like I did at first) I think requesters might up their requirements and quality controls and make it harder for everyone. I don't know anyone else in person who turks, but if I met someone who did, I'd probably love to nerd out with them.

jane
07-30-2012, 07:15 PM
I've talked a little about it to some of my family but no-one has seemed that interested. To be fair, most of them don't have the same work experience (esp transcription) that I do that makes it possible to do some higher paying hits. I haven't really discussed it with friends.

blackbox
07-30-2012, 08:43 PM
The people I've told about mTurk all sound a bit skeptical to say the least, but telegraphed some interest in trying it themselves. However, whether they possess the skills required to turk with persistence is another story...

Turker440
08-17-2012, 01:45 AM
People seem to be skeptical whenever I tell them I work online, whether it be through mturk or my writing. They seem to think "yeah right" when I tell them I work from home and make a decent living. Mostly the older generation is more skeptical than younger people.

AndrewTB83
08-17-2012, 03:49 AM
I've only told my wife, my mom, and a friend at work. So far, I haven't had any negative reactions. Hopefully it keeps up like that lol

k1ll
08-17-2012, 05:02 PM
I've mentioned mturk to 3 people so far and suggested they try it. I was met with much skepticism... I think I'll keep my mouth closed about it from now on. More HITS for us!

taintturk
08-17-2012, 05:24 PM
Many times when you tell people about it, they will come and make a few cents and get bored or just think that all you can make is change and ignore it.

I am totally okay with that :D

What they don't know won't hurt me.

erod429
08-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Many times when you tell people about it, they will come and make a few cents and get bored or just think that all you can make is change and ignore it.

I am totally okay with that :D

What they don't know won't hurt me.

Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean. I had referred my cousin and best friend..they both tried it and they were both confused and thought I was nuts when I told them how much I (sometimes) made.

Amentius
08-17-2012, 07:19 PM
Yea, I don't make a habit of telling anyone. Some people are conventional in their thinking and don't understand.

For instance, I worked for a major computer company from home. I answered tech support calls every day from 12-11 pm (my own choosing with ot). I was paid like every other employee within the company. I got benefits like every other hourly employee, only difference was I did it at home. Weekly meetings, Huddles, Coaching everything done via intranet we even had a water cooler chat to talk about daily issues etc.. I never left home to work.
So I was in town one day, someone saw I had shirt on from the company and asked about it. I told them I worked for them, they then asked if I was on vacation and what in the world brought me to this part of the world. I tried to explain I lived in this town of 800 people lol and worked for this GIANT company from the comfortof my home. By the look on their face, I could tell they didn't get it, or they thought I was crazy.

I can't even imagine trying to explain to them about Mturk lol Better to just say you freelance for different companies doing odd jobs. Might be a little easier for some people to swallow.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Oh I might add, the less people that do it the more hits for meh! ;)

McGuirk
08-17-2012, 10:59 PM
Yea, I don't make a habit of telling anyone. Some people are conventional in their thinking and don't understand.

I can't even imagine trying to explain to them about Mturk lol Better to just say you freelance for different companies doing odd jobs. Might be a little easier for some people to swallow.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 PM ----------

Oh I might add, the less people that do it the more hits for meh! ;)

Yeah, I agree. My wife is the only person that knows about my obsession with mturking...If I were to try to explain it to anyone who has a basic understanding of even how to turn on their computer; I don't find it worth it.

izshadow
08-18-2012, 03:47 AM
Yessss always remember less turkers more money for us!!!! LoL this is exactly my thought process!!!! Unless of course in all honesty I ran in to someone who was disabled or couldnt leave their home and really needed help. Then obviously we have to share and care.

---------- Post added at 07:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 AM ----------

You are living proof we can do this!!!! You are living the dream of turking that I want to be doing one day!!!! My sister averages $1000 a month working 5 days a week for only 3 or 4 hours those nights.

Saxon
08-18-2012, 06:56 AM
I have skepticism coming from a parent currently, mainly because she does my taxes and seems to think this is somehow illegitimate income. Oh baby boomers, you so crazy!

Judy
08-18-2012, 11:07 PM
You're a self-employed crowdsourcing microcontractor. lol!!! That is awesome :)

cattcali209
08-28-2012, 01:44 AM

Yes! Thank you Topher. I've been wondering what to call myself. Whenever anyone asks what I do I usually just say I do freelance work online. Now I have an official title. :)

cambriax84
09-23-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes, lots of skepticism.